Start by marking “The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits” as Want to Read:
The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits

The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Take your craft to the next level.

For rich, unique yarns of your very own creation, The Yarn Lover’s Guide to Hand Dyeing is your essential go-to guide.

Now you can create gorgeous, unique, handpainted yarns in your very own kitchen. In this practical guide to dyeing yarn at home, you’ll learn simple techniques for creating beautiful, colorful yarns–and pick up some new pat
Published November 13th 2007 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing

I read this book and "Yarn Works" (W. J. Johnson) on the same day. What a contrast!

This book was fluffy and vague, with a few interesting bits.

For example, the author tells us that boiling wool will "ruin" it, but doesn't say how or why. Will the wool felt, will the luster change, the texture, the color? What about superwash wool? Does the same apply to silk?

Ms La Belle (spelled that way on the cover) provides sections on the different dyes she uses: Ashford (tm), Kiton (tm), Jacquard (tm), Pr
I'm not really interested in hand dying, but I was really curious to know how variegated, self-striping, and speckled yarns are produced. The book offers instructions on dying yarn as well as interviews with dyers who own their own businesses. I'm not really into variegated yarns or the patterns in this book, but other people probably would be. It's just not for me.
A good introduction to the process; I've already been messing around with food-safe dyes for a while now, and lurking heavily on dyeing groups on Ravelry, so there wasn't much really earthshaking in here for me, but the advice on general dye safety is always a good thing to reinforce. I also got a better idea of what equipment I'll need to start dyeing with non-food acid dyes in my own kitchen. I've really not seen much before about the use of thickeners to get better control over dye flowage, s ...more
Sarah King
Jul 15, 2010 Sarah King rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in different dyeing methods
I wouldn't say this is the be all, end all yarn dyeing book but it's a resource I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. There were a few ingredients called for in every recipe that were never explained in the section on supplies. Like someone mentioned there was a bit of core information missing. I wouldn't buy this book specifically for the patterns, they weren't really to my liking but I'm sure they would be loved by many others.
Aug 26, 2008 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters, fiber artists
this is a great hands on guide for those who are slightly but not too familiar with the concept of fiber dyeing. it is very clear, and while the author is not explicit about cross processing the fibers/dyes - one can come to conclusions about how to experiment. I would have liked to have a little more core information and at least a glossary to work with - but overall I really think it's a great book.
The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits by Linda Labelle (2007)
Found a great new technique for dyeing that I will be sure to try.
K added it
Nov 11, 2015
Tina Johnson
Tina Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Stacey added it
Jul 07, 2015
A marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Miryha marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Ingrid added it
Sep 15, 2014
Kassie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jadeso marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Alexandra Allen
Alexandra Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Victoria Pike
Victoria Pike marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014