Start by marking “The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits” as Want to Read:
The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits

The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Take your craft to the next level.

For rich, unique yarns of your very own creation, The Yarn Lover’s Guide to Hand Dyeing is your essential go-to guide.

Now you can create gorgeous, unique, handpainted yarns in your very own kitchen. In this practical guide to dyeing yarn at home, you’ll learn simple techniques for creating beautiful, colorful yarns–and pick up some new pat
Published November 13th 2007 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing

Sara
Jul 27, 2015 Sara rated it did not like it
I read this book and "Yarn Works" (W. J. Johnson) on the same day. What a contrast!

This book was fluffy and vague, with a few interesting bits.

For example, the author tells us that boiling wool will "ruin" it, but doesn't say how or why. Will the wool felt, will the luster change, the texture, the color? What about superwash wool? Does the same apply to silk?

Ms La Belle (spelled that way on the cover) provides sections on the different dyes she uses: Ashford (tm), Kiton (tm), Jacquard (tm), Pr
Kathleen
Oct 20, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I'm not really interested in hand dying, but I was really curious to know how variegated, self-striping, and speckled yarns are produced. The book offers instructions on dying yarn as well as interviews with dyers who own their own businesses. I'm not really into variegated yarns or the patterns in this book, but other people probably would be. It's just not for me.
Lucy
Oct 25, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the process; I've already been messing around with food-safe dyes for a while now, and lurking heavily on dyeing groups on Ravelry, so there wasn't much really earthshaking in here for me, but the advice on general dye safety is always a good thing to reinforce. I also got a better idea of what equipment I'll need to start dyeing with non-food acid dyes in my own kitchen. I've really not seen much before about the use of thickeners to get better control over dye flowage, s ...more
Sarah King
Jul 15, 2010 Sarah King rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in different dyeing methods
I wouldn't say this is the be all, end all yarn dyeing book but it's a resource I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. There were a few ingredients called for in every recipe that were never explained in the section on supplies. Like someone mentioned there was a bit of core information missing. I wouldn't buy this book specifically for the patterns, they weren't really to my liking but I'm sure they would be loved by many others.
Kim
Aug 26, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters, fiber artists
this is a great hands on guide for those who are slightly but not too familiar with the concept of fiber dyeing. it is very clear, and while the author is not explicit about cross processing the fibers/dyes - one can come to conclusions about how to experiment. I would have liked to have a little more core information and at least a glossary to work with - but overall I really think it's a great book.
bluetyson
The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing: Beautiful Color and Simple Knits by Linda Labelle (2007)
Darcy
May 29, 2008 Darcy rated it it was amazing
Found a great new technique for dyeing that I will be sure to try.
Lynette
Lynette marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Melody
Melody rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Reeda Hickman
Reeda Hickman marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Hanniferconnifer
Hanniferconnifer rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
K
K added it
Nov 11, 2015
Inga
Inga rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Tina Johnson
Tina Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
elizabeth a. moldenhauer
elizabeth a. moldenhauer rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Miryha
Miryha marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid added it
Sep 15, 2014
Jennifer Jones
Jennifer Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Kassie
Kassie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Mousy Brown
Mousy Brown rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Jadeso
Jadeso marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Susan Roberts
Susan Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Alexandra Allen
Alexandra Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Serra
Serra rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015