Start by marking “The Willows in Winter” as Want to Read:
The Willows in Winter

The Willows in Winter (Tales of the Willows #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  846 ratings  ·  49 reviews
For now, in an act of homage and celebration, William Horwood has brought to life once more the four most-loved characters in English literature: the loyal Mole, the resourceful Water Rat, the stern but wise Badger, and, of course, the exasperating, irresistible Toad. The result is an enchanting, unforgettable new novel, enlivened by delightful illustrations, in which Will ...more
Published November 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Willows in Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Willows in Winter

Petra X
Apr 23, 2012 Petra X rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Petra X by: 569035-mark skelton
Shelves: children
A sequel to a well-loved children's story that isn't a patch on the original The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame but is charming nonetheless. The book also seemed to be split into two stories with a very tenuous thread linking them. I could see that this could be worked out in a film but reading it was a bit disjointed. It wasn't really the story though that the book didn't really succeed on for me, it was the characters.

When we read a book we get a distinct idea of the characters within
Mark
It having been some time since I last read 'Wind in the Willows' my approach to this sequel, picked up in a second hand bookshop a while ago, was uncertain. I could remember the names of the characters, I could recall the general outline of the Kenneth Grahame's classic but I could not really call to mind the way the individual characters react and relate to one another in that story.

This was probably a blessing. I read this book without my placing the rather unfair pressure on the new writer o
Marsha
Mr. Horwood has brought us his own story about Mr. Grahame’s beloved characters. Here are Mole, Rat, Otter, Badger and the irrepressible Toad all brought to life once more without a note out of place. The voices of the characters are just as you remember them, their exploits, habits and mannerisms as endearing as that of old relatives.

Toad appeared reformed by the end of The Wind in the Willows. But a leopard can’t change its spots and Toad’s subsequent bad behavior has him falling off the wago
Kailey
Usually I am pretty skeptical of sequels not written by the original author, but from the very first sentence I completely forgot that it wasn't Kenneth Grahame himself writing this book! This is a PERFECT imitation of Grahame's writing! It just wraps you up all cozy like a warm familiar blanket, and sweeps you away to the magical world of the Willows.

The illustrations are delightful. Every character is perfectly as they should be. They pop right back to life! Each story line is interesting, fu
Nicole
Well lets see. This one wasn't available via e-book so I bought it in December last year. Today was a cloudy and rainy day to I decided it is the right weather and day for this book. This is a sequel to the beloved classic of Kenneth Grahams story The wind in the willows written in the 19th century. And one of my most favourite books. I have read it many times and the story of the Wild Wood,of Toad Hall,of the river bank,of Ratty,Mole and Badger is and has been a delight.So I was very curious to ...more
Zoe
This is an admirable sequel to one of the greatest childrens works of all time, but it has one flaw: it is not for children.

Oh, it keeps the same characters, they get into the same amusing scuffs, their emotional upheaveal isn't too far in the forefront, and for the most part, Horwood follows the language Graham used so artlessly and so beautifully. However, it is simply too long for the children the original was aimed at, and if a book is unattainable by its target audience, its not quite perfe
J. Aleksandr Wootton
If you missed William Horwood's 1990s continuation of The Wind in the Willows, you're in for a treat - especially if you, like Horwood, finished that great work and thought, "Toad altered! I don't believe a word of it!"

Nor should you. For this time around, Toad's obsessive nature has left off motorcars in favor of something Bigger, Louder, Faster and BETTER: an aeroplane.

Of course, of course adventure and escapades ensue. And meanwhile, poor Mole...

But I shan't say any more.

The Willows in Winter
Wayne
Aug 17, 2009 Wayne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
HAVE ADDED A VIP Post Script!!!see below.

Once I have read the two completions of Jane Austen's
unfinished "Sanditon" - I've already read "Rebecca's Tale", Sally Beauman's sequel to Daphne du Maurier's classic "Rebecca",(Goodness!!!Was that whirring sound dear Daphne spinning in her grave???)- I think I will get stuck into this sequel to "Wind in the Willows".And William Horwood has written not only one sequel but several!!A regular feast for the desperate lovers of the Original.(I may well be on
Angie
I was thrilled to find a sequel to The Wind in the Willows, so picked this book up. Although I thought it odd to be by another author, W. Horwood, instead of K. Grahame. I have mixed feelings about this book. At times, it was difficult to read....to follow as the vocabulary and writing was not smooth. At other times it was very enjoyable. I used this as a read aloud to my 8 yr old son. I had already read The Wind in the Willows to him. I would highly suggest reading that book before this one, si ...more
Janeen-san
Usually I'm sucpicious of books by different authors, but somehow my grandma convinced me to get this book. I'm sort of glad I did, it continued the story oringally told by Kenneth Grahame in a cute way--True, there are some dashes were there should have been periods, and Mole End was oringilly underground, but all in all it was a good book. Near the end the story really picked up. I'm glad I read this, it was interesting, but Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows will always be a speical ge ...more
Bryan
Horwood did a good job with the characters but he didn't have to keep calling Ratty "Water Rat". The original book generally called him Rat or Ratty. While reading the book I kept hearing the voices from the Cosgrove/Hall series. The characters stayed true to the original.
Tonari
Bello :)
Lo spirito dell'opera originale è intatto e questa è la cosa più importante. Tasso, Talpa, Ratto, Rospo, ci sono tutti e sono tutti esattamente come li ricordavo, vividi e convincenti.
Letto con l'arrivo dei primi freddi mi ha messo nel giusto spirito di questo autunno inoltrato. Belle anche le illustrazioni.

Particolarmente gustosa la scena del processo, comicamente grottesca, per quanto (view spoiler)
Strey
Picked up in a charity shop - it did that 'look at me, you know you'll regret not buying me' thing! I was a little disappointed, as I expected it to live up to Grahame's classic. I guess a bit unfair & once I'd got over that, it was a nice story, on familiar ground & with the usual characters. Not as 'ethereal' & cosy as 'Wind', but not objectional & a brave attempt. I live/work by the river & the author's background also helped me to like the book! Overall I was glad I have ...more
Heather
Really enjoyed this book.

If you always want to know 'what happens next', this is the book to read. More adventures of Mole, Ratty, Toad and Badger...including missing animals and a magnificent flying machine!
Seth
I started off apprehensive, but as the book progressed I was impressed with Horwood's homage. The poetry in the prose never quite matches Kenneth Grahame's, but overall it is a worthy tribute to a beloved classic. The only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it's not as good as the original.
John Gentry
I wanted to love this sequel but in the end it turned out to be just OK. The characters just didn't have the same life within them and while I had fun reading it out loud at night to my fiancee I just wouldn't have been able to do it any other way. This is unfortunate but I don't know why I would expect anything else. Regardless when some day I have children it will be read to them as well because the adventures of Mole, Badger, Water Rat, and Toad are a must for any childhood to be complete.
Claire
This is an unofficial sequel to 'the Wind in the Willows', and carries on the adventures of Toad, Mole, Rat, Badger, and the other animals. Even though it's written by another author, he does manage to capture Grahame's writing style very well and it flows well from the first book. Obviously not one for the puritians, but I quite enjoyed it. It's great to see what might have happened next to the characters that I've grown up with.
Leslie
Well, I have recently become infatuated with the Wind in the Willows so thought this might be worth a glance. I hate the beginning 'cos he makes dear sweet Mole such a disagreeable old coot. I continued reading just to find out how he'd treat Toad and Rat and the story did improve. I did notice straight away the lack of those beautiful descriptive passages K.G. did so well. This is okay though, just no poetry, simple prose only.
Andrew
this is the second time i have read this book - the first was to my son years ago. It is as fun to read now as it was then, i will admit i am no fan of sequels written in the name of departed authors (i am sure we can all think of a few) this was not one of them, the style reads just and easily and comfortably as is Grahame himself had written it. I think i will read the rest not and see the tales of the river bank to their conclusion.
Rik
Read this to my son, and we both enjoyed it; there were many times I had to stop because we were laughing so much. The characters are great, the rascally Toad adding much delight to the story.I liked the allusions of 'beyond' and 'He', adding a good backdrop to the idea of forgivness and acceptance demonstrated by the animals towards the selfish Toad. In all, a great story.
Carmen
An example of a sequel, written by a different author than the original that works! All the magic and joy of the Wind in the Willows is present in this sequel. Toad is up to his shennigans again and gets tossed into jail again. It's up to his friends to deliver him from jail, but they take their time doing it. Quite entertaining.
Victoria
I always get the urge to re-read The Wind in the Willows as Christmas approaches but this year I thought I'd try this. It's lovely to revisit 'old friends', Mole, Ratty, etc. The author does a good job of recreating the Willows world and it's an enjoyable volume if a little plodding at times. Good comfort reading for the winter months.
Gemma Alexander
I'm always suspicious of sequels by different authors, but somehow this book ended up on my shelf. I decided to ignore the connection to the original (easy enough since I haven't read the Wind in the Willows since I was something like 10) and just read it as an independent story. And it was a perfectly enjoyable read.
stephanieisabookworm
I love this unofficial sequel to The Wind in the Willows! It is great. Sometimes it feels a bit like it's poking fun at the original, that's how faithful I find the imitation of style to be. The plot is interesting and the characters seem true to the form Grahame gave them. I love it!
Joseph
This is a wonderful and heartwarming sequal to the original book of "The Wind in the Willows". The author successfully captured the original authors style and language. A great read for "Willows" fans. It's wonderful for children and a great read aloud. :)
Neil
Yes...well...TWITW it's not. And I found the changes in the underlying characters of some of the lead animals a bit irritating. In my experience, people don't change much, thus neither should their anthropomorph equivalents. Nice try, though
Sophia
I liked the Wind in the Willows, but this was really slow. I honestly do not remember much of it, besides wishing it were over. Apparently it wasn't absolutely horrible, though, because I supposedly finished it (or so claims my middle-school self).
Emily
great continuance of a classic, i really felt that moley ratty and badger were all back, as well as the infamous mister toad who is up to his old self again... delightful tale nice illustrations looking forward to reading the next one
  • The Wombles
  • The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Spring Story
  • In the Grip of Winter (Farthing Wood, #2)
  • The Adventures of Grandfather Frog
  • More Milly Molly Mandy
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Thunder Oak (The Welkin Weasels, #1)
  • The Pied Piper of Hamelin (Russell Brand’s Trickster Tales, #1)
  • Thomas The Tank Engine: The Complete Collection
Duncton Wood (Duncton Chronicles, #1) Duncton Quest (Duncton Chronicles, #2) Duncton Found (Duncton Chronicles, #3) Skallagrigg Duncton Stone (Book of Silence, #3)