Start by marking “Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression” as Want to Read:
Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression

Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression

This moving memoir of an African-American woman's lifelong fight to identify and overcome depression offers an inspirational story of healing and emergence. Wrapped within Danquah's engaging account of this universal affliction is rare and insightful testimony about what it means to be black, female, and battling depression in a society that often idealizes black women as ...more
Published February 22nd 1999 by One World/Ballantine (first published February 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Willow Weep for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Willow Weep for Me

Thomas
Aug 24, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it
I cannot emphasize the importance of this book enough. While mental health affects everyone, it affects everyone in different ways: we need more people of color represented in books about mental health. In her courageous memoir Willow Weep for Me, Meri Nana-Ama Danquah details her experience with clinical depression and how it affected her role as a family member, a writer, and a human.

Danquah describes the intersectionality of mental illness and race by analyzing her own journey as well as soci
Andrea Luquetta
Dec 26, 2009 Andrea Luquetta rated it it was amazing
Its rare to read a first hand account of depression that includes analysis of race. I love best the insight that Danquah gives us that depression, the illness, co-exists and interacts with the social and personal events, circumstances and history that inform who we are and how we behave. Viewing depression this way allows us to look for and respond to both the symptoms of depression (physical and emotional) and narratives we interpret, internalize and use to measure who we should be and explain ...more
Monica Coleman
So few books by black women on what it's like to live with a depressive condition. Danquah well names the stigma that still exists in black communities - and the problem of the ideal of the "strong black woman." I like how she includes her childhood and mothering in her story. A nice read.
Ondine
Nov 25, 2016 Ondine rated it it was amazing
This book was beautifully written. People who struggle with depression may see some of themselves in this memoir. I appreciated how vulnerable she allowed herself to be, and it was refreshing to read a memoir that from the perspective of a woman of color. The intersections of being a black woman and an immigrant made this story so critically important for me to read.
Izetta Autumn
Part of my continued reading of memoirs written by Black womyn. The second half of this book was particularly well done. The first part of the book, while evocative, didn't explain or lay out why Danquah was writing her memoir as well as the last few chapters of her book do. In the last few chapters Danquah is clear that she's writing the book for womyn of color, specifically Black womyn, to address the stigma of depression and provide resources and her own story.

There is a certain shielding in
Rhonda
Jun 11, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it
Recommended to Rhonda by: Mindy
Shelves: memoir
This book really made me think about the lives of others who live with depression on a daily basis.
Though I could relate on some level with this author, there were many things I cannot come to terms with due to the fact that she is so different from me. I read this book with a open mind and feel that I have finished leaning a little more about depression and what others may be going through.

It is well written, but is a "heavy" book to read. I could only read a couple chapters at a time and then
Karen
Jun 11, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read
Books That Are Straightforward About Mental Illness

Danquah’s memoir illuminates a story that often goes untold— that of a black woman struggling with depression. Focusing on her experience as a young, single mother, she challenges societal expectations of black women — idealized as strong nurturers, caretakers, and healers — and examines how these affected her understanding of her own depression, and her willingness to seek help.
Chris
Oct 01, 2007 Chris rated it liked it
Really good for anyone who's struggled to understand depression. It helped me see some of the humanity and the underlying hell that goes with depression, which is often hard to see if you don't personally suffer from it. It's also good, I think, for people with depression, to read such a personal story of resilence. So... pretty much good for everyone. However, it's not my favorite book, nor is it exactly a literary masterpiece, though it is well written.
Ashley Jeanntta
May 26, 2012 Ashley Jeanntta rated it really liked it
Willow Weep for Me was a good piece of work. I suppose that I gave it four stars because of it's discussion of medication. Maybe in the future the author will discuss how the past couple of years have been for her. She seems to have the only memoir discussing black womanhood and depression. We certainly need more.
Jeremy
Aug 05, 2007 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: most
Well, this autobiography of depression was initially interesting to me because of the racial difference (for I had no reference), but she is quite an adept storyteller. She explains depression so well, and also illucidates how it is to be depressed as a black woman. Another must read for those in the discipline of psychology.
Faith
Jan 10, 2015 Faith rated it liked it
A story of depression told from an African American (as in family from Africa, growing up in US) woman's perspective. True and clear descriptions of what depression feels like and how it stops normal life in its tracks.
Jen Knox
Apr 10, 2010 Jen Knox rated it really liked it
I see why the description references Darkness Visible. It was well written, but I didn't fall in love with the book the way I thought I might. I recommend it for those who do not have experience with depression, who know someone else that has suffered, because it provides an accurate glimpse.
Anarda Nashai
A very personal and engaging read. Ms. Danquah is very talented as a writer...very brave as a survivor of chronic depression. Highly recommended.
Jeri
Oct 12, 2011 Jeri rated it it was amazing
Revealing, revelations, especially after my own experiences with depression. Speaks to my soul and that is the kind of writing/voice I'd love to bring to this genre!
Leslie
Aug 18, 2007 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the uninspired
Shelves: memoir-autobiog
I applaud Meri Nana-Ama Danquah. When I read this, it was pretty much the ONLY available memoir written by a black woman about mental depression.
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Veronika
Veronika marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
Rachelle Williams
Rachelle Williams rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Chandra
Chandra rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2007
Camille
Aug 31, 2014 Camille rated it really liked it
black women and depression
Mollie
Jul 23, 2008 Mollie rated it really liked it
It's amazing how much people can overcome...
Vic_secret
Vic_secret rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Brie
Brie rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2010
Mia Russell
Mia Russell rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Kyla
Kyla rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2010
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Speaking of Sadness: Depression, Disconnection, and the Meanings of Illness
  • Blue Genes: A Memoir of Loss and Survival
  • Undercurrents: A Life Beneath the Surface
  • Against Depression
  • The Suicidal Mind
  • My Mother's Keeper: A Daughter's Memoir Of Growing Up In The Shadow Of Schizophrenia
  • Out of Her Mind: Women Writing on Madness (Modern Library)
  • Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania