Start by marking “Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression” as Want to Read:
Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression

Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This moving memoir of an African-American woman's lifelong fight to identify and overcome depression offers an inspirational story of healing and emergence. Wrapped within Danquah's engaging account of this universal affliction is rare and insightful testimony about what it means to be black, female, and battling depression in a society that often idealizes black women as ...more
Published February 22nd 1999 by One World/Ballantine (first published February 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Willow Weep for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Willow Weep for Me

Andrea Luquetta
Its rare to read a first hand account of depression that includes analysis of race. I love best the insight that Danquah gives us that depression, the illness, co-exists and interacts with the social and personal events, circumstances and history that inform who we are and how we behave. Viewing depression this way allows us to look for and respond to both the symptoms of depression (physical and emotional) and narratives we interpret, internalize and use to measure who we should be and explain ...more
Monica Coleman
So few books by black women on what it's like to live with a depressive condition. Danquah well names the stigma that still exists in black communities - and the problem of the ideal of the "strong black woman." I like how she includes her childhood and mothering in her story. A nice read.
Rhonda
Jul 02, 2013 Rhonda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rhonda by: Mindy
Shelves: memoir
This book really made me think about the lives of others who live with depression on a daily basis.
Though I could relate on some level with this author, there were many things I cannot come to terms with due to the fact that she is so different from me. I read this book with a open mind and feel that I have finished leaning a little more about depression and what others may be going through.

It is well written, but is a "heavy" book to read. I could only read a couple chapters at a time and then
Izetta Autumn
Part of my continued reading of memoirs written by Black womyn. The second half of this book was particularly well done. The first part of the book, while evocative, didn't explain or lay out why Danquah was writing her memoir as well as the last few chapters of her book do. In the last few chapters Danquah is clear that she's writing the book for womyn of color, specifically Black womyn, to address the stigma of depression and provide resources and her own story.

There is a certain shielding in
Faith
A story of depression told from an African American (as in family from Africa, growing up in US) woman's perspective. True and clear descriptions of what depression feels like and how it stops normal life in its tracks.
Camille
black women and depression
Chris
Really good for anyone who's struggled to understand depression. It helped me see some of the humanity and the underlying hell that goes with depression, which is often hard to see if you don't personally suffer from it. It's also good, I think, for people with depression, to read such a personal story of resilence. So... pretty much good for everyone. However, it's not my favorite book, nor is it exactly a literary masterpiece, though it is well written.
Jeremy
Aug 05, 2007 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: most
Well, this autobiography of depression was initially interesting to me because of the racial difference (for I had no reference), but she is quite an adept storyteller. She explains depression so well, and also illucidates how it is to be depressed as a black woman. Another must read for those in the discipline of psychology.
Ashley Jeanntta
Willow Weep for Me was a good piece of work. I suppose that I gave it four stars because of it's discussion of medication. Maybe in the future the author will discuss how the past couple of years have been for her. She seems to have the only memoir discussing black womanhood and depression. We certainly need more.
Jen Knox
I see why the description references Darkness Visible. It was well written, but I didn't fall in love with the book the way I thought I might. I recommend it for those who do not have experience with depression, who know someone else that has suffered, because it provides an accurate glimpse.
Jeri
Revealing, revelations, especially after my own experiences with depression. Speaks to my soul and that is the kind of writing/voice I'd love to bring to this genre!
Leslie
Aug 18, 2007 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the uninspired
Shelves: memoir-autobiog
I applaud Meri Nana-Ama Danquah. When I read this, it was pretty much the ONLY available memoir written by a black woman about mental depression.
Anarda Nashai
A very personal and engaging read. Ms. Danquah is very talented as a writer...very brave as a survivor of chronic depression. Highly recommended.
Carmen
A young black woman's portrayal of her battle with depression.
Ruth
Emotionally raw struggle of a young woman on her depression.
Mollie
It's amazing how much people can overcome...
Kuukua K
This book saved my life! Literally!
Mariana
Good, but slightly dated.
Katherine Bayne
Katherine Bayne marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
kelly
kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Sinan Recber
Sinan Recber marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
♡Susanna
♡Susanna marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rochelle Calleja-gohing
Rochelle Calleja-gohing marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Mia Siegert
Mia Siegert marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
  • Speaking of Sadness: Depression, Disconnection, and the Meanings of Illness
  • Is There No Place on Earth for Me?
  • Blue Genes: A Memoir of Loss and Survival
  • Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
  • Against Depression
  • Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression
  • My Mother's Keeper: A Daughter's Memoir Of Growing Up In The Shadow Of Schizophrenia
  • Out of Her Mind: Women Writing on Madness (Modern Library)
  • Undercurrents: A Life Beneath the Surface
  • A Passionate Apprentice: The Early Journals, 1897-1909
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • That Mean Old Yesterday
  • Asylum Piece
Shaking the Tree: A Collection of New Fiction and Memoir by Black Women Becoming American: Personal Essays By First Generation Immigrant Women The Black Body American Woman: Personal Essays by First Generation Immigrant Women Unholy Ghost: Writers on Depression