Start by marking “Le Temps de la sorcière” as Want to Read:
Le Temps de la sorcière

Le Temps de la sorcière (Einar #4)

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  451 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
La vie est difficile quand on est alcoolique “en pause” et journaliste exilé, pour mauvais esprit, dans le nord de l’Islande. Pourtant, il se passe des choses dans ce grand nulle part bouleversé par la mondialisation et l’arrivée des émigrés. Un petit chien disparaît, une vieille dame téléphone pour dire que la mort accidentelle de sa fille arrange bien les affaires de son ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 425 pages
Published October 2nd 2008 by Points (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Le Temps de la sorcière, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Temps de la sorcière

Booknblues
Nov 25, 2012 Booknblues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Season of the Witch
By Arni Thorarinsson
3 stars
pp.224

It was nice to get a picture of Iceland while reading Arni Thorarinsson’s fourth of the series, but first published in English, Season of the Witch. The protagonist, Einar is a journalist who covers crime. He has been banished from the capital, Reykjavík and now covers Northern Iceland.

Starting with the fourth of a series, one misses some of the back story of the protagonist and must fill in the where possible. It appears the Einar used to bend
Pöfivonat
Nov 09, 2014 Pöfivonat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nagyon kellemes olvasmány volt, szerethető szereplőkkel. A cselekmény nem túl pörgős, ellenben érdekes. A könyv pikantériája a számomra kimondhatatlan nevek, érdemes őket gyorsan, visszafele olvasni. :D

Egy kérdésem maradt csak: Miért a negyedik részt adták ki először? o.O
Ann-Marie
May 27, 2015 Ann-Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann-Marie by: news
A funny, excentric reporter in the outback of Iceland solving murder mysteries in a manner from a long time ago. No gruesome details, no explicit sex, no police procedural. I really enjoyed it and hope to read more about Einar.
Sebastian Hagedorn
Eine Freundin von mir hat dieses Buch übersetzt, sonst hätte ich es vermutlich nicht gelesen. Ich bin aber froh darum. Es hat ein bisschen gedauert, bis ich reingekommen bin, aber nachher hat mir das Buch ziemlich gut gefallen. Es gibt ein paar Ungereimtheiten, vor allem die Frage, wie Einar ohne Kenntnis der PIN an den Inhalt der SIM-Karte kam, und man kann auch geteilter Meinung über die ethischen Urteile sein, die Einar fällt, aber das tut dem insgesamt positiven Eindruck keinen Abbruch. Die ...more
Suspense Magazine
Icelandic newspaper reporter Einar has failed at pretty much everything that matters: as a reporter, as a husband, and as a father. Now he has been assigned to the northern city of Akureyri, far from bustling Rekyjavik as a last chance to keep his job with the Evening News. Here the former crime reporter must—to his chagrin—turn his talents to penning stories about high school play productions and lost dogs…or at least until the first body pops up.

So begins this Nordic knot of a story where the
Victoria
Despite getting off to a rather uneven start, I ended up really enjoying this Icelandic murder mystery. The cadence and style of the writing took me a little while to become accustomed to it. The first person narrative felt... odd. And the reason that seemed to have caused this is pretty strange - but both the writer (and narrator, Einar) are male, and the book was translated by a woman, which seemed to lend Einar a slightly feminine feel - more in a tonality than specific lines of the novel. Un ...more
Marije
Jul 21, 2016 Marije rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I just didn't 'feel' this book. I think I expected more dramatic Icelandic nature, to lose myself in the dark, desolate beauty and grimness of the northern wild. But it was hard to get more than names and places from this book. It was as if I was reading a book-adaptation of a movie.

Telling instead of showing is not always a bad thing, but in this case it is.
Andy Bryant
Having read through other Goodreads reviewers' comments on this I'd have to agree with those who gave it three or less stars - it's an OK read and there's some really good prose in here in places, but the story/plot itself - while interesting - was thin in places and by the end you have the impression the book is a pretty straightforward tale that's been overstretched and padded.

The principal characters aren't particularly well drawn, especially the protagonist. For a reader giving up smoking, t
Gretel
Season of the Witch is an Icelandic crime mystery, set in the northern town of Akureyri. According to Wikipedia, it has a population of 17,754. Considering how many people meet a grim end in this story, you'd think the town would have the same crime rate of an inner city ghetto. Putting that aside, I thought the novel was ok. It is told from the perspective of Einar, a journalist from Reykjavík who has recently relocated to Akureyri with his job. Going from Iceland's capital city to 'the sticks' ...more
Reetta Saine
Islantilaista noir-dekkaria, hmmm... Tunnelma toimi, päähenkilö oli marlowemainen geysir-lisällä. Juoni hatara, liikaa sivuja. Tietopaketti, jollaista ei matkaoppaan sivuilta löydä. Ok.
Joshua Buhs
Interesting, but not usually for the expected reasons.

I no nothing about Icelandic literature, and almost nothing about the country--Bjork's from there, I think. So I cannot say I have a great conceptual framework into which to place this book. But it looked interesting enough and was titled "Season of the Witch"--at the time, I was buying books with that title. I cannot say I am upset that I read it, but I don't think that I got everything out of it I could, both because I read it in translatio
Jean-Luc
Jul 16, 2010 Jean-Luc rated it it was ok
N'attendez pas le suspense d'une enquête policière...peut-être au mieux état des lieux du malaise social et économique que peut vivre l'Islande et sa jeunesse.
Ken Fredette
Nov 17, 2014 Ken Fredette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised with the reading of Season of the Witch by Árni Þórarinsson. I expected a dry book with no sarcasm or humor. But Arni beats all of these things and has humor and sarcasm throughout the book. It started off slow because I was going back and forth with the maps, my own doing I like to visualize what a town looks like. Once I saw this it was easy going. Funny and was putting people into their places. Almost wished I was there.
Alannah Clarke
While this book did get off to a shaky start for me, I admit that it did start to improve as I read more. As far as I remember this is the first book I have read which has been set in Iceland. The characters were quite interesting, I didn't feel like I needed to read the first three books in the series in order to get a proper back story. In my opinion a book that can stand alone is an example of good writing. I do think there is a bit of question over the justice portrayed at the end. I think i ...more
Nathalie
Begonnen aan dit verhaal met weinig verwachtingen, omdat ik niet zo'n goede commentaren had gelezen. En hoewel ik dit boek nu ook niet heel goed vond, vond ik het best nog genietbaar om een 1 mei-dag mee door te brengen. Ik stootte in het begin van het boek op een verkeerde vervoeging en ook op veel lange geconstrueerde zinnen, die ook wel van mijn eigen hand zouden kunnen komen, (Ik schijn daar ook last van te hebben, in alle taallessen al gehoord...) en ook geen literaire meerwaarde hadden. Mi ...more
Lukasz Pruski
Jan 18, 2013 Lukasz Pruski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like Arni Thorarinsson's "Season of the Witch". I felt as though I was reading a so-called "young adult mystery" for teenagers. Young people, some of them teenagers, are focal characters in the plot; but seriously, what can be interesting about teenagers? They know that they know everything whereas they know nothing. But even older characters in the novel are not drawn very well; I had difficulty trying to believe they were real people.

I love Nordic literature in general (not because o
Sharon Bressen
Nov 19, 2013 Sharon Bressen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Season of the Witch
By: Arni Thorarinsson

A copy of this book was received from the Amazon Vine Program.

This is my first novel by Arni Thorarinsson but will not be my last. A recovering alcoholic newspaper reporter, Einar is sent to a small town in the northern Iceland for a second chance and a new start. His principal assignment is to write human interest stories and frivolous fluff, but soon Einar is himself dragged into some mysterious events.

Why does a local woman just fall from a boat and d
Rob Kitchin
Season of the Witch is a mildly entertaining tale set in the north of Iceland. It’s what I would characterise as an ‘okay’ story: it whiled away a few hours without every really capturing the imagination. The story suffers from three main issues. First, the main character is bland and nondescript and is not conflicted enough with respect to his ostracisation to the north, his ‘odd couple’ relationship with his news editor, or staying on the wagon with respect to drinking. Moreover, the author tr ...more
Andrew Macrae
Jun 06, 2013 Andrew Macrae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SEASON OF THE WITCH By Arni Thorarinsson

Icelandic newspaper reporter Einar has failed at pretty much everything that matters: as a reporter, as a husband, and as a father. Now he has been assigned to the northern city of Akureyri, far from bustling Rekyjavik as a last chance to keep his job with the Evening News. Here the former crime reporter must—to his chagrin—turn his talents to penning stories about high school play productions and lost dogs...or at least until the first body pops up.

So beg
Annemarie Solon
Oct 10, 2015 Annemarie Solon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iceland
By the end, I was having a pretty good time with this book.

But man, it took a looooooooong time to get going. I wasn't actually interested in anything that was happening until about page 100. And still I struggled to get through Einar's (our main character) cliched rants about life in the 21st century. I never got a strong feeling of "place" about Akureyri, except perhaps that it is a smallish city somewhere in northern Europe. It seems to be differentiated from the "big" city of Reykjavik only
J.R.
Aug 09, 2012 J.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though less familiar than some of the other Scandinavian settings introduced to crime fiction readers recently, Iceland appears to have many of the same problems confronting other nations of the world—environmental concerns, issues with immigrants, drugs and identity issues.

All of these problems have a part in the plot of this thriller which proves more intricate and absorbing than it might at first appear.

Einar, a chain-smoking, divorced crime reporter with a drinking problem, is exiled from th
Buchdoktor
Jun 08, 2013 Buchdoktor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die isländische "Afternoon News" hat sich auf ihre Leser und Anzeigenkunden außerhalb der Hauptstadt besonnen und eine Lokalredaktion in der Kleinstadt Akureyri eingerichtet. Einar, die Hauptfigur in Thórarinssons Islandkrimi, soll die Arbeit machen, Ásbjörn mimt den Chef und Jóa unterstützt das neue Büro als Fotografin. In den ersten drei Bänden der Reihe (von denen nur Die verschwundenen Augen (1.) ins Deutsche übersetzt wurde) ermittelte Einar noch in der isländischen Hauptstadt. Die Versetzu ...more
Rick
Oct 24, 2012 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Árni Thórarinsson’s SEASON OF THE WITCH, Reykjavík crime reporter Einar is transferred to the paper’s somewhat slower paced Akureyri office. Shortly after his arrival in the north, a woman on a corporate excursion dies unexpectedly, and after that a popular young student is murdered. Einar spends the rest of the novel investigating the two deaths.

The student, Skarphédinn Valgardsson, was about to star in a performance of Jóhann Sigurjónsson’s play LOFTUR THE SORCERER, based on a popular Icela
Molly
Jul 24, 2013 Molly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-fire
Because I'm beginning to dig into my own work on witches, I have been exploring the various ways in which witches are used in pop culture and the like. Unfortunately, this was only a diversion, but because my husband wanted to go to Iceland for our honeymoon, I figured it wouldn't be a full loss, leaving me geographically curious.

Unfortunately, this mystery felt a bit flat--because of the strange tone, the odd attempts at humor, nothing ever truly felt at risk.

At times, the author would give us
Tekla György
Feb 25, 2015 Tekla György rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Összességében szerettem ezt a könyvet, mert egy részt az a fajta krimi, ahol lövésem sincs, hogy ki a gyilkos addig, amíg konkrétan le nem írják, más részt olyan lélektani dolgokat boncolgatott, amik valós problémát okoznak sok ember mindennapjaiban (hipochondria, nárcizmus, szociopata hajlamok).
Rennae Croisant
May 03, 2016 Rennae Croisant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. It takes place in Iceland, about which I know next to nothing. The story was a really good mystery. The setting was amazing. I followed along with Google street view and even saw more of Iceland along the northern fjords and the South to East portion of the ring road. I even picked up a smidgen of how Icelandic people can be. A crime mystery from a reporter's perspective. I hope more of his books are translated into English, I read everyone of them.
Alain
Einar, journaliste à Reykjavik est envoyé dans le nord du pays pour y d?velopper une antenne locale du journal. Contre toute attente, la vie en province n?est pas aussi calme que l?on pourrait le penser : une vieille femme accuse son gendre d?avoir assassin? sa femme, un jeune acteur dispara?t et la drogue semble circuler parmi les adolescents avec beaucoup de facilit?. Pour rendre son travail plus int?ressant, et aussi pour ?chapper ? l?ennui qui le mine, Einar va s?impliquer dans la r?solution ...more
Ingunn
Aug 09, 2014 Ingunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Takes place in my hometown that just makes the story for me. I have been a crime story fan since a out age 10. Used to take out 12 books per week at the Amtsbokasafnið a Akureyri. There was a 4 book limit per library card I had my brothers and moms card as well and they let me use them all. love stories that take me back.
Suketus
Harvinaisen mitäänsanomaton kirja. Tuntuu, ettei koko tarinassa tapahtunut oikeastaan mitään. Päähenkilö kirjoitteli lehtijuttujaan ja siinä se. No, pari tyyppiä kuoli ja niitä hieman selviteltiin, mutta jännitettä tässä ei kyllä ollut niin yhtään. Ainoastaan eksoottinen islantilaisuus sai lukemaan loppuun asti. Ajanhukkaa.
Marian Smith
Dec 26, 2014 Marian Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story well told.

Part action thriller and part psychological mystery. Attractive characters in believable situations without the excess gore so common in the genre. I will read more by this author.
  • The Ambassador
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland)
  • Sun on Fire
  • Svar við bréfi Helgu
  • Bettý
  • The Day is Dark (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #4)
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • Stone Tree
  • The Journey Home
  • 101 Reykjavik
  • Last Call
  • Lovestar
  • Claws
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • Bangkok Rules
  • The Whispering Muse
  • Mord i mørket
  • The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective, #4)
Árni studied comparitive literature at the University of East Anglia. He has worked as a journalist since 1971, and sat on several panels of judges at international film festivals.
Árni's first novel, Nóttin hefur þúsund augu (The Night Has a Thousand Eyes) was published in 1989, the first of a series about the investigative journalist Einar. He was one of the authors of Leyndardómar Reykjavíkur 20
More about Árni Þórarinsson...

Einar (8 books)