Start by marking “Cathleen Ni Houlihan” as Want to Read:
Cathleen Ni Houlihan

Cathleen Ni Houlihan

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
THIS 20 PAGE ARTICLE WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE BOOK: Representative British Dramas Victorian and Modern V2, by William Butler Yeats. To purchase the entire book, please order ISBN 1419176080.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Cathleen Ni Houlihan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cathleen Ni Houlihan

Adriano Abreu
Apr 14, 2016 Adriano Abreu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Não costumo ser um leitor avido de teatro. Foi a minha primeira experiência com Yeats e algo escrito sobre a Irlanda. Tenho a dizer que não foi má de todo. Gostei de todo o misticismo à volta da Poor Old Woman. Possivelmente não entendi referências culturais relativas à Irlanda.

Relativamente às personagens tenho a dizer apenas o Peter e a Bridget se revelaram personagens que não vão de acordo com as minhas éticas. Já que o filho [Michael] iria casar, seus pais decidiram sucumbir ao oportunismo e
Josh Belville
Sep 29, 2011 Josh Belville rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
One of the first things I noticed while reading Cathleen ni Houlihan is how much it resembles a Japanese noh play. "That's quite a lofty thought," I said to myself, "but it's okay because you're a grad student." Here you have characters who are joined by the shite, the Old Woman, who, by being there and imparting her wisdom, changes this household for good. So quickly, too, and by speaking of Ireland's history. And you could say that Michael is the waki, and is "travelling" to his marriage (so t ...more
Behzad
Mar 15, 2016 Behzad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was intended, I guess, to arouse nationalistic feelings and stuff in the audiences. Maybe it did the trick then, now, it sounds simplistic. At least to me.
Akylina
Mar 11, 2015 Akylina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre, classics
You can see my review over at The Literary Sisters as well.

The first book I decided to review for the Reading Ireland Month is none other than W.B. Yeats' play 'Cathleen Ni Houlihan'. Written in 1902 and performed in April of the same year in Dublin, it is a play of great symbolic and historic significance for Ireland and the turbulent period it refers to.

'Cathleen Ni Houlihan' is set in an Irish village during the Rebellion of 1798 against the British and it follows a critical moment in the liv
Melanie
Sep 13, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding play with some particularly poignant messages about patriotism, war, and national identity. All fans of literature should read this at least once.
Debbi
W. B. Yeats è uno dei miei poeti preferiti, senza dubbio. Ora posso dire di apprezzare anche la sua vena teatrale, e molto.
Questo atto unico è struggente nella sua brevità, un concentrato di battute poetiche, che donano al testo teatrale qualcosa di magico. La Old Woman eponima sarà anche una figura propria del folklore irlandese, ma quel che succede nell'opera, chi e come sono i personaggi, i sentimenti sottostanti alle songs, tutto può essere compreso e condiviso.
(Ora vorrei solo poterla veder
Briynne
May 23, 2007 Briynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this while putting together an exhibit on Irish Literature relating to the 1916 Easter Rising for my Rare Books seminar last semester. It's a tiny play, but really good. It's exactly what I want out of Irish literature - nationalistic, proud, sad, and poignant. Plus, Maud Gonne played Cathleen when it first opened, and I just love the whole unrequited love thing Yeats had with her.
Zan
Oct 26, 2011 Zan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I forget how multifaceted Yeats is. I also forget how sinister some of his mysticism can be.

This short play is based in 1798 in Ireland when the French arrived to help the Irish with their rebellion. Cathleen Ni Houlihan is a mystical old woman who appears in the house of a family preparing for their son's marriage. By the end of the play Cathleen convinces Michael (the groom) to leave the house to meet the French.

Yeats' nationalism abounds in this play. I loved our class discussion ab
Molly
Apr 14, 2016 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, 2008
An old woman arrives at an Irish family's home as they are making preparations for the marriage of their oldest son. She tells the family her sad tale of Irish heroes who have given their lives for her. She ultimately lures the groom away to join the Irish rebellion of 1798.

This is very interesting from a historical standpoint. It helped spread Irish nationalism and may have contributed to the 1916 Easter Rising. I also found it interesting how Yeats and Lady Gregory used folklore in the play. G
Paula Soper
Nov 03, 2011 Paula Soper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I possibly love Yeats more? Yes, because he was smart enough to work with Augusta Gregory! This play is gorgeous and, as Zan says, multi-faceted.

I love that they together created the new face for the spirit of Ireland. I love Henry Merritt's analysis which sees Cathleen as a vampire. Wow!
Maureen Kudlik
Feb 23, 2013 Maureen Kudlik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The battle cry for any Irish Revival artist/follower. Produces a love for Ireland and introduces Cathleen, the daughter of Houlihan who becomes the symbol for Ireland, herself. Moving, powerful and written for the Abbey Theatre.
Justyna
Apr 02, 2009 Justyna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it even though proper historical backgroud is needed to understand it
Kelly
Apr 12, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class

anglo-irish lit (dublin)
senior thesis
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Vlada
Vlada marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Saša
Saša rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Jamie Lynn
Jamie Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Síofra
Síofra rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Antje R
Antje R rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Rechielle
Rechielle marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Olga Shibiko
Olga Shibiko rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Tom Costello
Tom Costello marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • Inventing Ireland
  • The Hostage
  • One by One in the Darkness
  • The Oxford Book of Irish Short Stories
William Butler Yeats (pronounced /ˈjeɪts/) was an Irish poet and dramatist, and one of the foremost figures of 20th century literature. A pillar of both the Irish and British literary establishments, in his later years Yeats served as an Irish Senator for two terms. He was a driving force behind the Irish Literary Revival, and along with Lady Gregory and Edward Martyn founded the Abbey Theatre, se ...more
More about W.B. Yeats...

“It is a hard service they take that help me. Many that are red-cheeked now will be pale-cheeked; many that have been free to walk the hills and the bogs and the rushes will be sent to walk hard streets in far countries; many a good plan will be broken; many that have gathered money will not stay to spend it; many a child will be born, and there will be no father at its christening to give it a name. They that had red cheeks will have pale cheeks for my sake; and for all that, they will think they are well paid.” 5 likes