Start by marking “Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist” as Want to Read:
Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist

Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist

View the Author's website! Seely, the youngest elected president of California's chapter of the National Organization for Women, combines her own story of third-wave feminism with an overview of the feminist movement and words to guide others. Third-wave feminists are aware of both the victories won by earlier feminists and the problems of class, race, sexual orientation, ...more
Published January 15th 2007 by New York University Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fight Like a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fight Like a Girl

Monique
Apr 09, 2017 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew me away. It really opened my eyes concerning topics like racism, society and independence. Even though the book focuses on the situation of feminism in the USA, the statistics and examples that were named, shocked and fascinated me. This was the first book I read about feminism and I can tell that I`ll definitely read a lot more. Thanks to all of the book recommendations at the end of every chapter I`ll have more than enough to choose from.
One reason why I like the book so much i
Avory
May 12, 2009 Avory rated it really liked it
This is a great book for those who complain that third wave, "blog generation" feminists too often write books that don't really tell us how to *do* anything. Though feminists interested in taking a leadership role in activism might consult more in-depth, specific books on how to manage finances, grant-writing, working with the media, etc. etc., Seely provides a great overview of current feminist issues with some helpful action ideas to get young women started. Unlike some of the similar young f ...more
Mary
Jan 09, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: activists and feminists, especially new ones
Recommended to Mary by: Bitch magazine
Shelves: gender, activism
Although a lot of this book reads as Feminism 101 ("really? there were WAVES?"), it's an incredibly thorough, incredibly current guide to feminism, and more importantly -- for me, anyway -- to activism on any front. It is absolutely packed with resources: organizations, projects, and companies every active feminist should know. as well as guides on everything from writing a press release, to giving a decent interview, to hosting a successful event (and more!). The idea that a book so packed with ...more
Amari
Sep 21, 2008 Amari rated it it was amazing
Seely does an amazing job in telling the state of feminism today and where it has been. She does a terrific job of integrating second wave as well as third wave feminism and feminists into one writing that very much is a call to arms. Further, Seely is inclusive of transfolk and queerfolk as well. Yay for a well-written feminist writing that is inclusive- that understands the need for having EVERYONE sitting at the table.
Jessica Noonan shriver
Great resource

Required reading for my women's studies course- fantastic overview of historic and current feminist issues and movements. I love the resources at the end of each chapter. I rented this book on my kindle but, as a mother of v two young women, I plan on purchasing a copy for OUR bookshelf.
Cherie
May 04, 2008 Cherie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, feminism
B- Most of the stuff I knew; she aimed it like she was teaching people how to be feminists but a lot of the stuff was WAY over their heads.
Hanh Vo
Jan 09, 2017 Hanh Vo rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Jan 30, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
A good primer in Feminism that does not run from critiques of the 2nd wave, queer or class issues.
Holli Driver
Dec 29, 2007 Holli Driver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Great, empowering book with history and life lessons from the female point of view!
Kathy
Dec 07, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
Full of resources, background information, and actions you can take right now. The appendix is extremely helpful for anyone wanting to go head first into activism.
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Taylor Rouleau
Taylor Rouleau rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Kelsie
Kelsie rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2011
Liz Wright
Liz Wright rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Jennifer Schostick
Jennifer Schostick rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
sheena ward
sheena ward rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Jessica Walker
Jessica Walker rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Sandra Wilson
Sandra Wilson rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Ashley Moonshoes
Ashley Moonshoes rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Ethan H
Ethan H rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2011
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2014
Nicki
Nicki rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Emily Swanson
Emily Swanson rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Leigh
Leigh rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2008
Annika
Annika rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • The Fire This Time: Young Activists and the New Feminism
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Look Both Ways: Bisexual Politics
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Feminism and Pop Culture
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • I Never Called It Rape: The Ms. Report on Recognizing, Fighting, and Surviving Date and Acquaintance Rape
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • Reclaiming the F Word: The New Feminist Movement
  • Reading Women: How the Great Books of Feminism Changed My Life
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message That Feminism's Work Is Done
As a third wave feminist, Megan Seely came of age in a time that benefited from the work of a movement in progress. Heavily influenced by this, Seely is dedicated to educating today's youth about the fight that occurred and fragility of women's rights today.

As a fifth generation Californian, Seely was primarily raised in the coastal farming town of Aromas, near the Watsonville-Monterey-Santa Cruz
More about Megan Seely...