Start by marking “Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods” as Want to Read:
Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods

Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Wholesome, delicious Japanese comfort food, hot pot cooking satisfies the universal desire for steaming, gratifying and hearty meals the whole family can enjoy. In Japanese Hot Pots, chef Tadashi Ono and food journalist Harris Salat demystify this communal eating tradition for American home cooks with belly-warming dishes from all corners of Japan. Using savory broths and ...more
Published April 27th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published September 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Japanese Hot Pots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japanese Hot Pots

Krista
Clear explanations and phenomenal pictures. Really a gorgeous cookbook.
Megan
This book is what the cover promises: a collection of Japanese hot pot recipes. The ones I've tried were east to prepare, conveniently dirtied few dishes, and tasted fantastic. I also got to break out the dutch oven which made me happy (dutch ovens are recommended as second to the Japanese donabe, but the book states a regular stainless steel pot should also work). The photography is both beautiful and helpful in visualizing the end product.

But while the food itself is easy to put together and f
Heather
This cookbook made Japanese food seem less daunting. I always thought that making dashi was a complicated process, but this made it seem simple. Can't wait until the weather cools down to try some of these!
Kylie
I don't usually add cookbooks to goodreads but I've practically read this one cover to cover and I've made one of the recipes (the tofu hot pot) so it seems fair game. It has beautiful, helpful photographs, and it breaks down all of the ingredients you will need and how to use them very clearly with photographs of each ingredient. The book is not just recipes, it talks about the cultural aspects: hotpot is a communal fun way of eating where you sometimes cook the food on a hotplate on the table, ...more
Cory
It's a sad fact of life that "comfort food" doesn't always translate between cultures. After making the first recipe in this book, I found out my significant other dislikes anything made with dashi, the fish-and-kelp stock that forms the base for many traditional Japanese dishes (as well as a few other complaints). So, visions of quick and easy nabe nights were dashed for me. The book itself is a well-written and colorful introduction to down-home Japanese cooking. The type of cuisine is quite f ...more
Becky
Makes me miss my Nabe pot and how easy the ingredients would be to find in Japan.
Rachel
Beautifully photographed images of the ingredients and finished hot pots. I would definitely have to buy a donburi (Japanese clay cooking pot) before I could even begin to attempt making some of these dishes. I personally wouldn't make most of the recipes as they included innards or funky parts of chicken/pork/fish, but I liked the look of the vegetarian ones at least and some of the beef. Very interesting to learn about the history and details that go into making a Japanese Hot Pot and all the ...more
Josie
This book was ... meh. I don't remember Why I wanted to read it, and put it on my holds list from the library .. but there were some good recipes.
Jen
Beautiful pictures, helpful descriptions of ingredients - the mushroom hot pot was so easy to make! Looking forward to trying more of the vegetarian (or mostly - I used tuna for the broth, but there are instructions for mushroom stock) dishes. I wish there was a good Asian grocery store closer, but it is a good excuse to make a trip to the International District.
Sayaka Nasu
after moving away from home, my mom's japanese cooking was one of the things i missed the most. this cook book is pretty easy and my family enjoys the hot pots. i live in central michigan and asian markets are an hour or two away so i need to alternate some vegetables or exclude certain things but it still tastes great. you can't mess up.
Christina
This book is awesome! I made the anything goes hot pot last night and it was a huge hit. I love the fact that there are large pictures of almost every recipe, and the ingredient break downs in the beginning of the book are really interesting. This is definitely going to be my winter staple.
James
Great recipes (I haven't had a chance to try but they look good).

It has some lovely pictures, but the actual instructions on how to make each hot pot could have been written better instead of just paragraphs of text that are a bit on the small side.

Good book overall.
Alberta
Concise information about ingredients and beautiful recipes. I look forward to making many of these meals.
Joshua
Nice modern cookbook...great recipes and instructions. Looking forward to making many of these for Friday night "happy hour dinners", Wednesday-night Coleman lectures, etc. Economical and fast.
Nate
I love this book! Ingrid teased me for sitting down and reading this book for an hour. I have made several of these soups, and they are fantastic! I want to make them ALL!
Png
Beautifully photographs. Plentiful unique hot pot recipes if your typical soup base is chicken broth. Soymilk Hot Pot is interesting.
Erika
Mar 31, 2011 Erika added it
Shelves: cooking
The photographer for the book made everything look delicious. I'd like to try a recipe from it.
Lynn
fantastic intro to hot pots- gave me lots of ideas.
Lucy
Sep 08, 2009 Lucy is currently reading it
haven't seen this one yet either but another one I shot.
Camille Mclellan
Camille Mclellan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Adaeze Akagu
Adaeze Akagu marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Mara Amor
Mara Amor marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
  • Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking
  • My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • Thai Street Food
  • The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner
  • Bento Boxes: Japanese Meals on the Go
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • The River Cottage Fish Book
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables