Start by marking “A Christmas Memory including One Christmas and A Thanksgiving Memory (Modern Library)” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Taking its place next to Breakfast at Tiffany's and In Cold Blood on the Modern Library bookshelf is this new and original edition of Capote's most famous short stories: "A Christmas Memory, " "One Christmas, " and "A Thanksgiving Memory." All three stories are distinguished by Capote's delicate interplay of childhood sensibility and recollective vision.
Published 2008 by Modern Library (first published January 1st 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Memory including One Christmas and A Thanksgiving Memory

Carol
A Christmas Memory

This heartfelt story of an eccentric old woman, Miss Sook, with the shorn white hair, calico dress and tennis shoes, her young best friend and cousin she calls Buddy, and the little orange and white rat terrier Queenie is one of my favorite Christmas stories. Such a memorable ending......two lost pair of kites flying in the sky hurrying toward heaven.....

One Christmas

Young Buddy is forced to visit his estranged father in New Orleans at Christmas time and finds out the answer t

Sue
There are reasons that some books become classics. This is one that captures moments from childhood and freezes them for all time, moments from treasured holidays, moments of love, fright, embarrassment, belonging. Moments that many of us can relate to even if we did not grow up during the Depression in the deep South as did Truman Capote with his beloved cousin Sook.

I believe I will eventually need to obtain a copy of this book for myself or just continue liberating the library copy at Christm
Now that was 107 pages of good, no great, literature. This collection of Capote's packs a punch through a very small package. Capote's memories encouraged me to remember some of my own childhood memories. I laughed and I cried, but I enjoyed every word. The whiskey scene reminded me of Aunt Bee off of The Andy Griffith show getting drunk off of "medicine" and Sook reminded me of my great aunt who wasn't exactly all there, but was probably more there then we realized. Who in the South doesn't kno ...more
Elaine
Dec 14, 2012 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Elaine by: KW book club
Wow! Truman Capote is a master of descriptions! He makes the people, the surroundings and the feelings so very real! You almost feel like you are there with him as a young boy and his "friend" (never named in this story, I noticed) as they pick pecans for the fruitcakes they will bake or procure the much-needed alcohol required for the very best fruitcake and again as they search out "the" Christmas tree and decorate it. "A Christmas Memory" was a delightful reminiscence and warm account of a me ...more
Diane Barnes
This is a perfect little book, with 3 stories of remembered Christmases and Thanksgiving, that illuminate Capote's early life in Monroeville, Alabama. He and his cousin/friend Sook, (she was 60, he was 8) were both misfits who made life bearable for each other. It has been a while since I read Capote, and I had forgotten what an artist he was with words. I think I'll pull this one off the shelf every year at the holidays, just to be reminded of a simpler time, and the beauty of Miss Sook's spiri ...more
Debbie Sweeney
When reading these three short stories of Capote's, it provides an insight into the troubled man's future. The stories are wonderful, humorous and suspenseful until that last sentence where he breaks your heart. I would recommend not reading the biography until after you have read the stories unless you're familiar with the author already. What a wonderful story-teller he was, albeit a tortured soul. To have a mind that can remember with such clarity details and emotions at such a young age and ...more
Connie
Delightful gem! Thanks to Laura for the suggestion! Capote has a beautiful writing style, and this book about young "Buddy" and his collection of quirky family is heartwarming. What a pleasure to read at the holidays. He captures the charm of the old south perfectly. I smiled throughout the whole book. Highly recommended for a quick and witty read.
Book Concierge
I've read and reviewed A Christmas Memory previously. Here I'll concentrate on the other two stories in this collection.

One Christmas relates how the young Truman is summoned to New Orleans to spend the holiday with his father – a man who is as foreign as any stranger, and equally as frightening to the impressionable boy. The child doesn’t really want to make the trip; he’d rather stay with his old-maid cousins in the familiar, rural Alabama setting where he feels loved and protected. Still New
James
Nostalgia and sentimentality are woven together beautifully in this brief memoir by Truman Capote. Written in the mid-fifties before the peak of his acclaim and subsequent dissolution, this is a touching story of friendship and the memories of youth. In a simpler time and place the young Capote shares the essence of Christmas with his elder cousin. The story is a prime example of what William L. Nance in The Worlds of Truman Capote calls Capote's ''fiction of nostalgia," in which the author look ...more
Hunter Murphy
This book is the embodiment of Christmastime in my home state of Alabama. It's funny and nostalgic and wonderful. Every year, I hear a local actress perform this tale at my library. One of my favorite quotations from the story is, "I could leave this world with today in my eyes."
Lisa
Truman Capote was born in 1924 and lived his young life in the South with his mother's relatives after the divorce of his parents. This book contains 3 stories that appear to be based on those experiences.

These aren't the happy holiday stories of excess that we see today; Truman grew up during the Depression with unusual family ties. Kids today should see that it is possible to be happy with the love of your auntie (or cousin), a dog, and a few books.

During this time of life, Capote's neighbor w
Nancy
Each of these three short stories is told with great love and a very conversational style. Capote paints a captivating picture of life with relatives during the depression. I found them to be beautifully executed.
Julie L
A Christmas Memory is told as a 7 year old ,who lived with assorted relatives in a big old house .He and his cousin Sook, who was in her 60's ,and had never grown up "mentally", were best friends. They did everything together . He tells of his memories with her and their pet dog Queenie, who always tagged along .

He tells of them earning money in any way possible to buy ingredients to make 40 fruitcakes each year to give as gifts to friends and family. He tells of cutting down the tree and draggi
Valerie
I have really come to love Truman Capote's writing, and these three short stories only deepen my appreciation for his style. He provides such wonderful descriptions of his characters and scenery that you feel like you are right there in the story. These stories were wonderfulf, and I think I'll start a new tradition to read these each year during the holidays.
Amy Young
My mom's book group read "A Christmas Memory" and all RAVED about it, so I had to read it. THankfully I had a book of three short stories by Capote, including "ACM." In each of the three stories there is a much older cousin (I think in her sixties when Truman was 7 or 8) who was "like a child." She and "Buddy" (as she calls Capote) had a close and endearing relationship. He writes the way I wish I could.
Cherry
Mar 24, 2008 Cherry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cherry by: Leslie Jones
I was so happy to read this as one of my holiday reads. I love Truman Capote's writing style. It was a great read because it was told through a child's eyes which is just what you want to be looking through when it is the holiday season.
Alison
Jul 07, 2007 Alison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, Southerners
Perfect little story about a Christmas with Capote, the child, and his not quite right cousin "Sook." They make fruicakes, drink whisky, and exchange gifts in rural, Depression-era Alabama. Bring a kleenex.
Chris
I've never read Truman Capote aside from the high school-required "In Cold Blood." After thoroughly enjoying—in fact, falling in love with—this very slim collection of three holiday short stories, I'm correcting this oversight.

In this remembrance of his youth we meet Buddy, Miss Sook, and Queenie, and a host of other characters. For such a small book, it speaks volumes. Emotional, sharp, sad yet comforting, you can't help but read the words with Capote's signature speaking voice in your head. Th
Mary
I really liked the three short stories. Capote's vivid descriptions evoked a nostalgia for the holidays of my childhood - although they were quite different from his.
Recommended.
Louis
I read the print version of this book for a book club. Technically the club was only discussing "A Christmas memory", but I read the other two stories in this collection as well.

These stories all are intertwined in that they involve Capote's memories of his childhood holidays. At first I wondered if they were truly fiction, even though the spine label on my library copy said that they were fiction. After reading some commentary, I realized that they were indeed fiction. Since these stories are b
Rebecca
I'd read "A Christmas Memory" several times before, having been giving a copy as a gift as a teenager. The other two stories are in a similar vein--ostensibly about a specific holiday, more specifically about growing up, the innocent cruelty of children, and the bittersweetness of looking back with adult eyes.

It's an odd mixture, in which the subject matter is unsophisticated and childish and the writing is anything but. Capote writes about being so poor that the only present he can give his bes
Yanchovy
Oct 16, 2009 Yanchovy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like/do not shun charming stories
This short three-story collection was a surprise -- in a good way. I was expecting that it would be somewhat sentimental (and I usually view that kind of designation pejoratively as I'm not necessarily a huge fan of what I categorize as "domestic" fiction), but I was surprised at how warm, charming, and subtly captivating it was. Capote writes, in these stories, in a way that kind of snuck up on me, and before I knew it, I was engrossed and engaged and even feeling nostalgia for a time and place ...more
Thomas Stama
Well it is my annual time to reread "A Christmas Memory".

This short story is my absolute favorite because it combines my memories of my Aunt Irene's Christmas fruitcake with Truman's own remembrances. The truly great fruitcake of the old South is rapidly disappearing from our culture. It is a labor of love as this story will a test to.

I started making them after I got out of the US Navy in 1981. Have made them nearly every year since then.

Lisa
These are great comfort stories. They make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. "Christmas Memory" and "One Christmas" are more vignettes than complete stories, but Truman Capote's childhood makes me think of Dill, the character inspired by Capote, in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Reading these stories felt like seeing an old friend again.

Of the three short stories, "The Thanksgiving Visitor" is the most poignant. In his reflections, Capote was able to recognize his own character flaws when re-telling this
Carla
Probably best known for "In Cold Blood" and for his flamboyant lifestyle among the rich and famous, these things had not drawn me to read any more of his work. I am so glad I picked up this tiny collection of 3 short stories drawn from his childhood. These are written with a rare tenderness and clarity.
Christi
This sweet little collection of three stories focuses on the friendship between a boy and his much-older grandmotherly cousin. It teaches basic life lessons and each story is very short and easy-to-read. The author is an excellent writer and it evokes nostalgia and sentimentality.
Brandi
This collection of stories is, hands down, the best set of holiday stories ever written by an American or otherwise. Even better than Dickens' Christmas Carol and Louisa May Alcott's many Christams shorts.
In particular, A Christmas Memory is so wonderful. When I think of one author I would like to emulate (aside from F. Scott Fitzgerald) it would be Capote...and all because of this story. He really knows how to capture childhood without sounding like a reminiscent adult. His prose is gorgeous an
Alison
Three short stories--from the child's point of view, but with Truman Capote's honest, humorous and slightly anguished adult perspective. Very enjoyable holiday read.
Marither
Read this book club in November. I liked the book but wasn't in love with it. Our group discussion however was fantastic. I always love reading a book that I would not normally choose and find that I enjoyed it. I also read this short story along with The Christmas Memory by Truman Capote for the same book club discussion.
Emily
Crazy but my first ever Truman Capote...I really liked these short stories and think I really like the author as well. Need to read more!
On the Southern L...: The Trail's First Holiday Read, 2013 17 43 Dec 18, 2013 05:05PM
  • Christmas at Eagle Pond
  • Lightning Bug
  • The Christmas Letters
  • Thirteen Stories
  • Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes)
  • No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre, #12)
  • Drinking the Rain: A Memoir
  • A Merry Christmas: And Other Christmas Stories
  • Last Things
  • Trouble Down South and Other Stories
  • The Prydain Chronicles (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Somebody Somewhere: Breaking Free from the World of Autism
  • The End of the Party
  • On Love and Death
  • One Arm and Other Stories
  • When Mother Was Eleven-Foot-Four: A Christmas Memory
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons
More about Truman Capote...
In Cold Blood Breakfast at Tiffany's Other Voices, Other Rooms A Christmas Memory Music for Chameleons