Start by marking “Fiesta Fiasco” as Want to Read:
Fiesta Fiasco

Fiesta Fiasco

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The friends from the ALA Notable Recording Manana Iguana are back and this time its a birthday celebration. Conejo (a rabbit), Tortuga (a tortoise), and Iguana are looking for regalos (gifts) for Culebra (a snake) to bring to his fiesta. The sneaky Conejo cons the friends into buying gifts that would be right for him but soon regrets his trickster ways. Spanish words for f ...more
Published 2008 (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Fiesta Fiasco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiesta Fiasco

This is a cute little story. It's funny and teaches a lesson that can be hard for kids. When you're picking out gifts, think about what your friend/brother/sister would actually want, not what you want. I like the desert animals and how whimsically they're drawn. The warm colors and cartoonish animals are perfect. The author also incorporated several spanish words in the text. A glossary is included in the beginning, so when you're reading it aloud to your kids you can at least get the pronuncia ...more
Fiesta Fiasco by Anne Whitford Paul and illustrated by Ethan Long tells the story of Iguana, Conejo and Tortuga as they search for regalos and throw a fiesta for Culebra's cumpleaños. Conejo shoots down the ideas of the other two in favor of unsuitable gifts. At the fiesta, he ends up with all of the gifts and is ejected from the celebration. He returns the gifts and buys appropriate presents for Culebra using the ideas of the other two.
The book would be appropriate for readers betweeen five an
I enjoyed this book. I like that it teaches Spanish gradually by naming the characters after what the animal is called in Spanish and they use a few other Spanish words. I got it at my work's book fair this summer and both of my nieces and I enjoyed reading it. It made Farrah feel smart to know that she could figure out some of the Spanish words in the back. Autumn had to use the Spanish glossary in the book. This could be a nice transition for a Spanish speaking ELL student who has a decent gra ...more
I like this book not for what it is, but how I can see my self using it in a classroom. Not to say it isn't good, because it is good and I enjoyed it, but I can see taking this book farther. This book would be a great introduction or discussion topic for children to learn about equity ("Pants an good for a rabbit, but are they good for a snake?"). This book also is great for EL students or students who are learning Spanish because it goes over a lot of vocabulary and does so from an acquisition, ...more
LATINO book selection:

The story "Fiesta Fiasco" by Ann Whitford Paul was the book I chose that had a Latino background. This book's story was spoken in English and some Hispanic. The great thing about this book, however, is when Hispanic was spoken, there was an English spoken dialogue immediately after clarifying what the Hispanic word meant. For example, Iguana wanted to buy a "globo" for Gulebra. Gonejo defined what "globo" meant by saying "Gulegbra would love a balloon." So, "globo" means ba
In the tradition of trickster tales from Native Americans, Hispanic culture and the American Southwest, "Fiesta Fiasco" is a delightful story that teaches children to think of others before oneself.

This bilingual book features both English and Spanish words in a tale about four friends; conejo/rabbit, culebra/snake, tortuga/tortoise and iguana. It is culebra's birthday and as his three friends go shopping for gifts, conejo talks each one into buying a gift that is inappropriate for a snake. Afte
Luanne Hatcher
It's Culebra's birthday, and his friends go shopping for his presents. Conejo thinks he knows just what his friend wants and tells the others what to buy. At the birthday party, Culebra is shocked at his presents! Are they just what he wanted or did someone else want them?
This story has a Spanish glossary for the words used in the story, as well as the pronunciations. It's a great story with terrific illustrations.
Such a fun book! I think it not only teaches Spanish words, but it also has a good moral message.
Amber Adams
This narrative tells the story about friends who are going shopping for a friend's birthday. However the sneaky rabbit tricks the friends into buying gifts for him instead of for Snake. i would use this book in the classroom to teach cause and effect. I will ask them what will happen because Rabbit wanted the gifts for himself? The cause is the rabbit wants these items, the effect is that he tricked the others into buying them for the snake so the snake would give them to him. The students can w ...more
Not as good as some of the other books about these four friends, but still fun for fans of the characters. This could have benefitted from some more spot illustrations to clarify the Spanish vocabulary that's interspersed (in one illustrations a tazon is mentioned as part of the story, but not pictured). The illustrations are the same throughout this series, so see my review of Tortuga in Trouble for my thoughts on them. As an added note though, I love the way Long draws the sun.
from the writing and illustrating team that did Manana, Iguana, Fiesta Fiasco doesn't quite live up to its predecessor. Fiesta doesn't have the lyrical repetition of Manana, it just tells a story of a tricky rabbit. There is a splattering of Spanish words that are defined within the text.

The pictures use yellow, green, orane, and red to paint the desert and the central animals--the cartoons are simple but effective.
Amy Brown
May 03, 2007 Amy Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschoolers through second grade
Sequel to Manana Iguana. When shopping for Culebra's birthday, Conejo convinces his friends Iguana and Tortuga to buy all the wrong presents (presents that he would like!). Includes a glossary of Spanish words used. A great story for kids who like tricksters, for people who want to learn a little bit of Spanish, and for people who love Ann Paul's first book with these characters.
Aug 03, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Great story, introducing spanish in an immersion style. The translations are listed up front, but the text reads as a mixture of English and Spanish words that is easy to follow. The story also has a moral about selfishness.

Our girls really liked this story and we've borrowed it a few times from the library.
Christy Whitaker
Fiasco may be the right word for the title of this book. While i appreciate the message, the story line was rather flat. Unfortunately, this book did not measure up to its predecessor.' However, it can introduce Spanish vocabulary and culture into the classroom.
This book teaches a good moral, that you should care about your friends and not yourself. THere are some basic Spanish words included in the story. I like this one better than Paul's "Count On Culebra" and "Tortuga in Trouble".
My daughter picked this book to read today. The story is ok and the illustrations are ok. Nothing amazing, she enjoyed it, but was not elated. I am not a fan of mixing the english and spanish language in the same sentence.
A good book about giving the perfect gift.
This is a story about three animal friends going to another friend's birthday fiesta. The book has a lot of spanish words,if you would like to learn some spanish words.
Read with O on Reading Rainbow app. The introduction of a few Spanish words is likely the best thing about this rather boring tales.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Fun illustrations. The series is cute and kids enjoy the interaction between the hare, tortise, iguana, and snake.
We loved these stories and I think I'll have to check out some of the other stories by this author.
I liked it well enough. But it was not as funny as Manana, Iguana. Not by a long shot.
Funny, with comical illustrations.
Liz Palma
Liz Palma marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Kiera added it
Jul 01, 2015
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Cheryl added it
May 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
ANN WHITFORD PAUL, author of 'TWAS THE LATE NIGHT OF CHRISTMAS has always been crazy for Christmas, but overwhelmed by it, too. Afterwards she is worn-out and dreams that someone like Mrs. Saint Nick could help her out with the resulting chaos and mess.

Ann graduated from the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University School of Social Work. She became inspired to write picture books after yea
More about Ann Whitford Paul...
Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication Manana, Iguana If Animals Kissed Good Night Tortuga in Trouble Word Builder