Start by marking “The Murders of Richard III (Jacqueline Kirby)” as Want to Read:
The Murders of Richard III (Jacqueline Kirby)

The Murders of Richard III (Jacqueline Kirby #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,983 ratings  ·  117 reviews

In a remote English manor house, modern admirersof the much-maligned King Richard III—one of Shakespeare's most extraordinary villains—are gathered for a grand weekend of dress-up and make-believe murder. But the fun ends when the masquerade turns more sinister . . . and deadly. Jacqueline Kirby, an American librarian on hand for the festivities, suddenly finds herself in

Published (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Murders of Richard III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murders of Richard III

Jemidar

Fairly average, predictable and try hard 'English Country House' mystery with a quirky American librarian as the sleuth. The subject matter was not dissimilar to Tey's The Daughter of Time but I'm afraid that's where the comparison ends. However, I did enjoy that this book characterized fanatical Ricardians as complete nutters and I couldn't resist awarding it an extra star for that fact alone ;-).
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Murder and mayhem among the Ricardians, c. 1974.

I didn't enjoy this as much as the Amelia Peabody mysteries I've read, by the same author, but it was an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon in bed when I wasn't feeling well.
Meadow
Every now and then I need a light, easy read. My preferred genre in that case is mystery. I'm self-limited by a low tolerance for anything gruesome or too violent. I love the old fashioned mysteries like Sherlock Holmes or Lord Peter Whimsy. Elizabeth Peters isn't quite in that league, but her books are clever and enjoyable reads. Her characters stand out as originals, and her plots have elements other than just "crime".

This book was fun for me because I just watched a documentary on the exhumat...more
Truehobbit
An amusing mystery story about a group of Ricardians with an attractive lady 'detective' given to a dose of sarcasm.

You don't have to be a Ricardian to enjoy the story, but being a bit of one myself, this was my main motivation for reading this - and it made me think I should probably take up the old study (last endulged something like ten years ago now) again.

The book was written in the 1970s, and it shows. In a positive way in the brevity of the book - ah, the good old times, when bestsellers...more
Robin
I really, really dislike this character Jacqueline the librarian, and am shocked by it, because I enjoy Peters' other two series very much, especially Vicky Bliss. Maybe it's the third person narrative that keeps the reader more an audience than inside the character's head along for the ride. The character has a lot of Amelia Peabody if she were a late 20th-century divorcee with no binding attachments, but it is the binding attachments and a family of characters that allow us to see into the dee...more
Rachel
Jun 29, 2009 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ricardians, mystery-novel fans, lovers of meta
I had feared there would be too much about the mystery in modern times and not enough about Richard III, but there was enough discussion of the past (and love for the long-dead man) to suit my tastes. As for the more modern goings-on, they were certainly amusing enough to hold my interest. And since there was more than one mystery, while I solved one of them well before the reveal, the other one snuck up on me.

Elizabeth Peters is one of my favorite writers, and so far none of her books have disa...more
Okay, I am hoping that Goodreads readers can help me.

I was really excited to read this as I am a staunch Richardian. However, after the page where the character goes on and on about how Charles II was sexy and didnt care about the paintings about those who were not? Yeah, I just made the decision then not to invest my time.

I am not saying that all I read is first rate literature...it is just that that particular scene turned me off just ever so much.

Can anyone tell me that I am wrong and it is...more
Holly Booms Walsh
Aug 10, 2007 Holly Booms Walsh rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans, British history buffs
Shelves: mystery
This is a Jacqueline Kirby mystery, and I like her even if she is a too-perfect Mary Sue. The book is fun, a drawing room mystery where all the suspects are within one social group, gathered in one house. The group in question are re-enacting the history of Richard III, so the history and theories about the late king are a bonus. This is a quick, easy read.
Melissa
Not too exciting of a mystery, but I enjoyed the character of Jacqueline Kirby enough to get through. She certainly stole the show from the stupid, whiny, preposterous protagonist. The rest of the characters are pretty one-dimensional but they are good enough to prop up the plot.
Kat
I didn't like the main characters as much as I did Amelia Peabody and her gang, so I wish I could give this one a 3.5. That, and there needed to be more actual death, rather than the constant 'practical joke' teases. But otherwise highly enjoyable, Christie-esque reading.
Kathy
While I loved the Richard III historical references, the plot and characters failed to really grab me in this highly anticipated read. The 3-star rating aptly describes my feelings toward The Murders of Richard III, it was OK.
Bev Hankins
Grabbed this one because it mentioned Richard III in the title...been a little hooked on that subject since reading Tey's Daughter of Time.

This is a good one. Three and a half stars.
Lisa
A light, fluffy bit of a pseudo-detective romp. You can't call it a murder mystery since there is no murder. Certainly the most interesting part is the discussions among the characters about Richard III's culpability for the murder of the princes in the tower. That had me surfing around for more information. Other than that, there isn't a great deal of content or plot-turning surprises. The meta quality of the fiction is amusing, with references to Agatha Christie and Ellery Queen, and frequent...more
Megan
Actually, I'm not sure that this book is brilliant. In many ways, these books by Peters (especially off the Peabody series) are purely pulp. But, in other ways, they are such enjoyable pulp that I think they are well worth it.
I appreciate this character, and there is a lot of literature/academic-world reference that is appealingly self-deprecating and humorous.
In this book, in particular, I enjoyed how Peter's folded in the history of Richard III, and the commentary on the difficulty of knowing...more
Alisha
Liked the historical stuff more than the actual mystery, which didn't end up being all that intriguing. But the history! This is what makes Elizabeth Peters different. This book also takes on a little more significance in view of the fact that Richard III's remains were finally discovered last year under a parking lot in Leicester, England. I'm glad Elizabeth Peters was still alive to hear about that discovery. It was a pretty big deal. Anyway, not being much of a Shakespearean, I didn't know th...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I find this book tremendous fun for several reasons. First, it features Peters' detective Jacqueline Kirby--She of the Purse. While she's perhaps not as brilliant a creation as her Amelia Peabody, I'm very fond of this not so mild-mannered librarian amateur detective.

But then this book also caters to my interest in things Richard III, sending up "Ricardians" (defenders of the maligned king) with gentle affection. In that regard you can rather see this as a homage and sequel to Josephine Tey's Th...more
Babs
Elizabeth Peters was my favorite author (in all her incarnations; i.e. Barbara Michaels) many moons ago. I know I read this book many moons ago, too. When I ran across this on my local library site for ebooks, I thought I'd revisit it again.
This was a good read and enjoyable; but surprisingly, a bit dated. I guess over time, the writing style conventions change. It seemed a bit too stilted and contrived. I honestly am still surprised that I feel that way. Barbara Mertz (Elizabeth Peters) was suc...more
Tara
Not a huge fan of Elizabeth Peters (or at least, I only read one or two of her Peabody mysteries before losing interest in her stories), but a murder mystery set at a Ricardian conference was kind of irresistible to someone who's a bit of a Richard III geek too.

So now that I've read it, I guess I'll have to say that I'm still not a huge fan of E.P. The book was okay, but I found the so-called "heroine" to be completely distasteful, to the point that it also soured me on the so-called "hero" who...more
Kristin
Again I must repeat my gripe that goodreads does not allow half star ratings. Because I did enjoy The Murders of Richard the III, It's just that I've enjoyed other books, even stock murder mysteries so very much more. For starters, (and really I suppose this isn't Elizabeth Peters's fault) the back cover synopsis flat out lied to me. Let me quickly recap the basic plot so this makes sense. A group of obsessed Englishmen and women meet at a weekend house party to prove that King Richard III was t...more
Kristen
I would have liked to give this 2.5 stars, because neither "didn't like it" with two stars, nor "liked it" for three is entirely correct. This book was okay, but is probably the first Elizabeth Peters book I've read [and between the other books written under her own name, and those written as Barbara Michaels, I've read a fair number] that I would not say I loved.

The story of the company of Richard III proponents who have a modern society dedicated to clearing the reputation of Richard, whom the...more
Melissa

American librarian, Jacqueline Kirby, has arrived at an English manor house for a weekend of research, debate, and all things surrounding the legend of Richard III of England. She has been invited to join this group of scholars to determine whether a letter, that purportedly vindicates Richard in the deaths of his two nephews, is authentic.

When accidents start occurring to the guests, in the order of Richard’s other victims, suspicion is heightened that th...more
Patty
When I was scanning the library shelves for a good book to read I came across this one by a favorite mystery author, Elizabeth Peters. I, and probably you too, know her as the writer of the popular Amanda Peabody series. This book was done in 1974 and I wasn't even sure if this could be the same writer. It doesn't take place in Eqypt or during an archeological dig.

However, as you get into the story the main character, Jacqueline Kirby, attractive American librarian visiting London, begins to ha...more
Joy Weese Moll
Jacqueline Kirby is an American librarian last seen in Italy solving the mystery of a student’s death at a pagan temple in The Seventh Sinner. The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters takes Jacqueline to an English manor house. A collection of academic characters gather in determination to prove the innocence of Richard III, maligned by Shakespeare and others as the murderer of the Princes in the Tower. The country house party is all fun and games, at first, complete with costumes and play...more
Tiffany
Actually, this book is like most of Elizabeth Peters' other delightful mystery novels, which is to say it is a cunningly paced, charmingly written, and mostly enjoyable mystery for educated armchair travelers. But what makes it particularly good is that it is set amongst an unusual subset of conspiracy theorists: Ricardians.

Ricardians are supporters of Richard III of England (1452 - 1485). They claim he was framed as a murderer (see the little princes in the tower) and painted a gimp, that he wa...more
Doc
Not my cup of tea. Very dry and egocentric, but when it comes down to it the voice is through the male lead, yet the story is clearly about the woman as a detective. The sub-story is the male voice reader being a submissive to the female lead. He is made to look like a fool and a cuckold, unfortunately the story suffers for it.
Beth E
I was disappointed that this was not written from Jacqueline's point of view. That would have vastly improved the book, so the reader did not spend so much time wondering "Where did Jacqueline go?"
The plot seemed a bit contrived and forced, but I must admit I did not guess the identity of the guilty party.
Lisa Greer
Another Jacqueline Kirby one. It's the second in the series...

***
I am enjoying it so far. If you like Richard III and the history and controversy surrounding the murder (did he do it?) of the two princes in the Tower, you will like this. The book was banned (or at least not printed) in Great Britain because the groups of Ricardians there would have been offended. :) It's worth a read. I still don't know whodunnit yet...

***
I finished this one. I liked the lead up to the solving of the mystery, b...more
Hannah
I would have given this more star because I didn't think it was all that bad - I just didn't enjoy it. All the history about Richard III was interesting, but the characters weren't really, and there was a little more pretension than I liked.
Mary Newcomb
Had I been more aware of the many intricacies of Richard III's history, this would have been more interesting to me. It was a good tale of an English country weekend gone wrong, featuring a reasonably well developed protagonist.
Carissa
One of her early works, I found the mystery interesting if a bit too vague. The history of Richard is always fascinating, even if I need a score card to keep up with everyone.
  • Smoke and Mirrors
  • Femmes Fatal (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in Fred...more
More about Elizabeth Peters...
Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2) The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6) Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4) The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)