Start by marking “A Tealeaf in the Mouse” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Tealeaf in the Mouse

Marian Babson

A Tealeaf in the Mouse

The last thing eleven-year-old Robin wants to hear is that his mother and her new husband are extending their honeymoon. Not that staying with Aunt Mags is so bad, but there's her boyfriend to contend with, and the members of the school gang are insisting that he do a dare before they let him join. Robin is told to kidnap Mrs. Nordling's prize-winning cat. Getting into the ...more
Large Print edition, 280 pages
Published by Chivers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Tealeaf in the Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tealeaf in the Mouse

Sharla
Dec 28, 2016 Sharla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marian Babson has always been good at colorful characters and offbeat humor. This one features an eleven-year-old boy and a cat but this is not a children's book, too dark for that. There is enough action and suspense to keep things moving. I enjoy bizarre situations so realism is not paramount. Overall, I liked this one a lot.
Jill Holmes
Marian Babson writes brilliant thrillers set in England that are truly "cosies"--not only are they suitable for curling up with a nice cuppa, but she throws the cuddly cat in as well. In "To Catch a Cat", 11-year-old Robin wants desperately to join a 'gang' of popular school kids, but they have set difficult tasks for Robin and his friend to perform for entry. Robin is charged with breaking into the Nordling house and catching their cat. This is no ordinary cat but a pedigreed champion nicknamed ...more
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, mystery
It's hard being a new kid at school. Robin figures that if he can join a popular gang it will be accepted. The problem is what he has to do to prove he is worth it...kidnap old Mrs. Nordling's prize-winning cat Lief Ericson. Easier said than done.

On the night he sneaks into Nordlings' house he gets more than he bargained for. People yelling, strange sounds, a cat hurled out of a room and then a bloodied man's figure lurching into the hallway. Robin grabs the cat and makes a run for his life.

The
Alyce Cheshire
I was constantly waiting for something to happen. The author has a tendency to repeat the same situation in different words throughout the first 90% of the book. It began to get to the point where I found myself asking, "Okay, I get the point-- but is anything going to actually *happen*?"

The answer? No, not really. The book's rising action and climax happen within maybe a half dozen pages at the very end. Then just like that, it's over. I only finished it because I figured I'd came this far and
Sparkle
Mar 21, 2014 Sparkle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, easy read! Enjoyable because it's not part of a series, it's a stand-alone book. Sometimes series get bogged down, it's nice to have a whole story, beginning to end without dragging on. I would recommend this book!
Monica
May 06, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy light mysteries, and Marian Babson's cat books fit the bill. You won't figure out whodunit, but just sit back with a cup of tea and enjoy the atmosphere. ***I have read other books of hers, but have found them slightly more disturbing and less fun than the ones that feature cats.
Vicki G
Dec 11, 2014 Vicki G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book was better than I thought, but I still can't believe I had no memory of the events in the book. I've read it once before, but the only thing I remembered is that the boy cuts the cat's hair. To disguise him from Mr. Nordling, who's looking for both of them b/c they witnessed the murder.
Glennys Uiagalelei
I had a hard time reading this book to the end. Did not enjoy it. I was hard pressed to decide if this was a children's book or not. The end leaves you hanging for several of the main characters.
Chelsea Garland
Chelsea Garland rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Laura Elisabeth
Laura Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2010
Priscilla
Priscilla rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Joyce Wessel
Joyce Wessel rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Catie
Catie rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Jbell
Jbell rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Renee Wood
Renee Wood rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
mo-anne bruford
mo-anne bruford rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2016
Pauline Barlow
Pauline Barlow rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Karen Bevers
Karen Bevers rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Monique
Monique rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2008
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Karol
Karol rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Charlie
Charlie rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Mysterious
Mysterious rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marian Babson, a pseudonym for Ruth Stenstreem, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, but has lived in London for the greater part of her life.

She has worked as a librarian; managed a campaign headquarters; been a receptionist, secretary, and den mother to a firm of commercial artists; and was co-editor of a machine knitting magazine, despite the fact that she can’t knit, even with two needles.

A lon
More about Marian Babson...