Lines That Wiggle

Lines That Wiggle

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Follow the line that runs through this picture book and turns itself into all kinds of things: the waves above an octopus, the veins in a leaf, the wrappings curling around a mummy, and the trapping threads of a spiderweb. Candace Whitman's catchy rhyming text is brought to life by a host of creepy critters from first-time illustrator Steve Wilson.
Published March 4th 2009 by Blue Apple Books (first published February 1st 2009)

Sara
YES, this was amazing for story time. It was great because we used our bodies to act out all the different ways lines can be. We wiggled when the lines wiggled, and made our arms wavey when the lines were wavey, and it was just lovely. Not very much text and no story to speak of, but it's PERFECT for preschool story time. I also loved at the end when it asks to find lines that AREN'T in the book, and the kids all looked around and pointed out lines around the library! So much fun! And the pictur...more
Stephanie
Fun book with colorful illustrations and textured lines of all sorts, wavy, curly, swirly. "Lines are everywhere you look so find some lines not in this book!" And my four year old did just that, next time we were outside, he was showing me lines all over the place!
Susan
Literacy skills:

Vocabulary-new words that describe lines are introduced in this book. The textured lines help to define the words.

Print motivation-wonderful illustration and a textured feel to the pages will foster a love of books
Jill
I like this book for one on one because the lines in here stand out with glitter, making it perfect for a little one to practice tracing, which is an important precursor to writing. Also, it's great for those tactile people out there!

I didn't think about this until I read another review (thanks Sara!) but it would be a great intereactive book in storytime. In her storytime, the kids acted out the different kind of wiggles--might be fun for those days when the group is just one big wiggle! ;-) A...more
Katrina
Aug 18, 2009 Katrina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4-8 Year Olds and those that Just Wanna Have Fun
"Lines that wiggle, lines that bend, wavy lines from end to end. lines that tickle, lines that sprout, bugs have lines that stick right out." And so begins Candace Whitman's Lines that Wiggle, a rhyming picture-book with a sparkly blue thread running through it. Whether it's the curly line of a tail, or the zigzag lines of a lightning bolt, the line itself is the focus of both text and illustration.

A brightly colored little book, with a jaunty rhythm and quirky artwork, this is less of a story...more
Whitney Bailey
This book is filled with different types of lines: glitter, bumpy lines that students can touch and use their senses to follow the path that the line takes.

This book would be good to read to students when teaching the differences between straight and curved lines as well as parallel and perpendicular lines.

GEOMETRY, LINES

While this book really highlights on the drawings and pictures, students could be introduced to understand types of different ways to understand how to picture what the word is...more
Nicole
Cute rhyming text that would be good for both one-one-one (to enjoy the texture of the lines) and in storytime. Perhaps get the kids to act out some of the lines.
Orlando JBF
Bright, bold, vivid use of colors and shiny, raised, glittery lines to follow with tiny fingers from page to page - love it!
Michelle
I'm going to try this with scarves in storytime this week!
Ecl  Storytellers
A lovely book that illustrates all that a simple line can be.
Kate
The blue line that spells "wiggle" on the cover is embossed blue glitter and it continues throughout the whole book. This would be a perfect story to accompany a yarn craft, and the sensory element of the embossed line make it good for babies/toddlers too - it even has tough paper - a cross between a board book and a picture book. There's also a lot of random monsters and creatures in various odd circumstances that are never explained. I was sure this was European because of the oddness, but nop...more
Kelly
I really liked this book because of the raised, glittery line that you could follow from the cover to the inside and how it showed lines for so many different things throughout the book and they were still raised. You could actually feel them. It also was interesting in how it showed places you'd never think would have lines like bike riding.
Arapahoe Library District
Blue glittery lines illustrate all the things lines can do, from "lines that bend" (with an elephant standing on the line) to "zigzag lines light up the sky" (with lightening). There is fun rhyming text and it is impossible to read without tracing the raised lines! A terrific art lesson and a fun picture book.
Amanda
This is a great book, especially for imaginative, art-loving kids. My son really liked the tactile quality of the book (the lines were raised and shiny). I thought the idea at the end of looking for lines, or making lines, on your own was a nice way to get a creative kid thinking.
Heather
44 months - This is a great book, talks about different types and shapes of lines using rhyme, I wish I had discovered this about a year or so ago when O was a bit younger. She still greatly enjoyed it especially it's tactile quality of the embossed and glittered lines.
Gwen the Librarian
Very little text in this rhyming book, but the raised, glittery lines are the stars of the illustrations. Accompanying monsters, the lines wiggle, curve, and tie things up all throughout the illustrations. Fun!
Courtney
The raised lines in the illustrations form the word and thing they are talking about. I think it would have been better if the words weren't in cursive as it is difficult for children to understand.
Caitlin Sabers
This is a beautiful, colorful, engaging book for younger children. It shows all different types of lines that can be used in artwork. From spirals to zig zags, it has glittery examples for all lines!
Megan
Raised, glittery lines let children see as well as feel concepts like wiggly, bendy, wavy, etc. Quirky illustrations (monsters sitting on rainbows) make this an attractive book.
Miri
Intriguing as soon as I picked it up, because the cover is textured the same way as the pages. Cute illustrations.
Tricia
Not really a story but a book that shows lines in different ways, it was okay...not a readaloud really.
Meredith
A cute concept book following lines as they take different shapes.
Natalie
Totally awesome monsters for kids that are fans of Yo Gabba Gabba
A fun rhyme, a nice concept,and wonderful art.
Randie
A fun, tactile way to learn about lines.
Vandy
Feb 10, 2010 Vandy added it
Shelves: math, picture-book
great touch n feel book on lines and curves
Kathryn
Aug 20, 2009 Kathryn marked it as to-read
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail
Sounds cute, thanks Abigail!
K
Pretty.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Now It Is Morning The Night is Like an Animal Bring on the Blue Ready for Red Yellow and You