Start by marking “La Quête Des Héros Perdus” as Want to Read:
La Quête Des Héros Perdus

La Quête Des Héros Perdus (The Drenai Saga #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  5,215 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Rappelez-vous la fin de Légende…
La forteresse de Dros Delnoch a fini par tomber face à l’ennemi nadir, elle n’est plus qu’un point de passage pour les hordes du Nord. L’Empire Drenaï n’existe plus. Sous la main de fer de Jungir, le fils du célèbre Tenaka Khan, les Nadirs continuent leur progression, se livrant parfois à des raids dans les territoires gothirs, à la recherch
Published September 26th 2003 by Bragelonne (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about La Quête Des Héros Perdus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Quête Des Héros Perdus

Scott Rachui
I have read a lot of fantasy books through the years. Recently, it seems the trend is toward endless series, each volume of which is the size of War and Peace. Refreshingly, Gemmell tells his stories in much fewer pages, and his stories end up being some of the most well-written in modern fantasy literature.

One thing I love about Gemmell is how his stories are all self-contained. They have definite endings and you can finish one, knowing you won't have a cliffhanger forcing you to rush out and b
Evgeny
The Nadir raiders captured young women from a small village. A young romantic man from this same village happened to be in love with one of them (it was a one-sided love). He set out on a hopeless quest to rescue his love. He was lucky as several great heroes who survived the last onslaught of Nadir hordes joined him out of sheer boredom - mostly. Still a few expert fighters do not make a task of finding a woman in vast Nadir steppes and getting out with her alive any easier. In fact, the compan ...more
Cameron
Another good, not mind blowing entry for the Drenai Series.

At this point, it seems that all of Gemmell's books (or atleast this series) are going to be fast paced, classical fantasy stories. He did change up the plot from the first two novels, as there was no main characters defending against a siege against all the odds, so that was nice.

These books remind me of the Redwall books from my childhood: Each book can be read as a stand alone, there are always descandants/relatives of characters from
David
Talk about jumping into the middle of a series.. Okay, apparently, I read the first two books of this series a long time ago. However, I was able to jump into this one and not feel like I was missing anything. Really-- this was was almost a stand alone story.

I remember meeting the big axe wielding hero from the earlier books... so I was not completely lost. The big battle that made the guys our heroes was covered in those, but not reading them probably would not affect the reader too terribly.

On
Wolfdan
Kiall aime Ravenna. Mais elle l'a rejeté, le trouvant par trop rêveur. Mais un jour elle est enlevé par des bandits et Kiall se lance à ses trousses. Il n'a rien d'héroique chez lui mais il se dit guidé par l'amour. S'entourant des héros qui ont résisté au siège de Bel-Azar, il va donc partir accomplir son destin.
C'est une histoire dure, où les héros sont dépeint de manière moins noble. Ils sont plus cyniques, vulgaires et crasseux que d'autres. Mais ils ont néanmoins eux-aussi quelque chose à
Jen
Yet another awesome book from David Gemmell! This one isn't his best work, but it will do well enough.

This story fits in the time-line as a post-King Beyond the Gate time where Tenaka Khan actually succeeds in overthrowing the Drenai. It tells of a journey into Nadir territory, nominally to rescue a peasant girl, but it ends up being so much more.

There is an odd making of bed fellows where the peasant boy leading the quest for his kid-love manages to recruit a team of battle hardened warriors. T
Graham
Did Gemmell ever write a bad book? I've made it my business to find out, and so far, so good. QUEST FOR LOST HEROES is another in his Drenai saga which began with the excellent LEGEND and shows no signs of slowing down at this stage.

As the title would imply, this book adopts a quest/journey narrative and casts a band of ageing one-were-heroes as its leads. The story is slight and the characters fill out the usual archetypes, but as usual Gemmell uses this background as a springboard for his two
Jayne
I thought that I had read all of Gemmell's novels so it was a nice surprise to come across this one and discover that I hadn't. Especially since, I had no business buying this in the first place because we are moving and trying to divest ourselves of as many books as possible. But he's one of my favourite authors, and it was a buy one, get one free deal.... for 1 euro. Seriously, who could resist.

This one goes to the top of my Gemmell novels. He's good at writing about seemingly unlikeable chara
Johnny
Quest for Lost Heroes is only the second fantasy novel by David Gemmell that I have read. I should probably read more. I remember the first one, Legend, as being realistic and gritty. Prior to my reading of Game of Thrones, I thought it captured the filth and stench of medieval life better than anything I had read. I liked the fact that Gemmell captured heroism without glorifying battle and that he didn’t oversimplify the quests of his protagonist(s) with nationalistic/racist slogans. His charac ...more
Jerreb
It's interesting. I picked up this book at a used book store and after doing some online research saw that it received good reviews and had Gay secondary characters in it - so I bought it. I had never heard of the book or the author so I was pretty much going in blind. And I'm very glad I did.

By today's standards, I'm not sure how this book would hold up. The gay characters are never out & out named as such, but it is very clear through several scenes that they are a couple and very much in
Todd
I greatly enjoy that Gemmell writes about aging heroes. Gemmell seems to have stepped away from his usual focus on the Thirty's good vs. evil battles. This is a fun story and well worth reading.
Jordan Maywood
Podcast review of this book on my podcast no less! Here:

The Ultimate Friend Zone Maneuver

Hello!

David Gemmel really seems to like having aging heroes in his novels. A fact may be that he had a hand in writing the script for movies including: Space Cowboys and the newly released Last Vegas. I discuss:

Quest for Lost Heroes by David Gemmel (Book #4 of the Drenai Saga)

ALSO I crank the bookiness of this Book Bwednesday up to two by discussing another book...

It's Not Easy Bein' Me: A Life of No Respect
by Ax
E ingiustizia fu

Un'ingiustizia e una donna sono la scintilla che alimenta l'orgoglio di un ragazzo, disposto a tutto pur di porvi rimedio e spinto dall'irrefrenabile forza dell'Amore — o dall'idea che di esso si è costruito. E così, aiutato da una manciata di personaggi affiancatogli dal destino, uomini alla ricerca di un riscatto personale, si imbarca in un'avventura dall'improbabile risultato.

Scritta così assomiglia alla solita Compagnia in cerca dell'oggetto di turno. in fondo lo è, ma senza
Mayank Agarwal
Gemmell's book are fast paced and this one is no exception but felt the plot was weak as compared to his other books. The magic element sometimes seem too powerful and other-times too weak, the inconsistency is not enjoyable. Also i really enjoyed Tenaka Khan in the king beyond the gate out here he was about to step on the evil side which is not cool. Also none of the reasons for the heroes joining the quest make sense.

What was good was the ending and the hint for things to come.
Iceman9t9
Shane Kiely
Follows the Gemmell formula i.e bunch of disparate characters, evil invading army, quest etc. Gemmell seemed to be weaning himself off his siege addiction with this book, the main one takes place in flashback (& there is a little sorta siege in the course of the books events). As I said it follows the formula, but I think it's very strong example of such. The fact that it's a smaller band of characters means they feel more developed as a group (rather than the standard main characters get so ...more
Phillip Drayer Duncan
This actually probably the third or fourth time that I’ve read this book, but it’s been several years. In truth, I’ve read everything that David Gemmell published in his life, and I pretty much love them all. Quest for Lost Heroes has always been among my favorite of his works. The characters are epic. The story is epic. I love it.
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Τέλος αντάξιο των υπολοίπων τριών βιβλίων, με τους πολεμιστές του, τους σαμάνους του, το σεξ του και τα όλα του. Λυπήθηκα που μου τελείωσαν οι Ντρενάι... Λέω όμως να μην πέσω με τα μούτρα στους Ριγκάντε, την άλλη τετραλογία του Γκέμμελλ, γιατί θα μπουκώσω με ωραίο φάνταζι και μετά τα άλλα θα μου φαίνονται άνοστα.
Paul Fitzpatrick
Flawed but entertaining.

Gemmell had a great talent for writing likeable characters, defined in few words. Here we have some more great heroes including Chareos the Blademaster and Beltzer the Axeman. Gemmell leaves us a lot of gaps to fill when he constructs characters but the blanks are simple to fill.

The flaws, as usual with Gemmell - simplistic combat, simplistic plots. But the book is fun, nostalgic, and most of all filled with likeable heroes. This is not his strongest book, but also it's n
Base
Sonja
Ik denk dat ik vroeger het verhaal van Finn en Maggrig niet helemaal heb gesnapt, want anders had ik het wel onthouden. Briljant boek, mooi om Tenaka zo weer terug te zien.
Drake
Good, but not as engaging as the first few books of the series. Still worth reading, though.
C.J. Heath
This is my favourite book. It set David Gemmell up as my favourite author. So many fantasy works utilise sorcery as a miraculous remedy but Gemmell utilises character to the full. There's not a single character that is without a personal flaw and no enemy is actually evil.
This is the book that taught me the hero can be a coward and still be somebody you root for. I've read this a dozen times and I know I will still read it again.
If you want a story that has genuine characters facing true intern
Anna Tan
For some reason, Quest for Lost Heroes was a little slow going for me.
It could be because I haven't really been following the Drenai Saga (I'm a bit spotty in my reading of Gemmell as he's not really that common, or maybe I haven't really noticed him that much).
The one thing that stood out for me, as it has in all the Gemmell books I've read so far, is his concepts of nobility, love and sacrifice, that goes counter culture to the civilisation around, and yet is not in the least preachy.
It just
320bird
又是个很奇怪的故事,梦幻少年的送死之旅,该做英雄的都没做成。只能做英雄的是死得其所,人小日子过得好好的也只能做Ghosts就太惨了。Taneka或者死了都够讨厌的,后代也是祸害。
Rick
Gemmell adds another layer to his Drenai saga with this excellent book. One of the best modern fantasy authors and it is a great shame he has passed. This is fantasy with an undercurrent of realism. One of the interesting things about the Drenai series, he did not write it in chronological order. So the books came out all over the timeline of the ongoing, centuries-long saga, which makes it even more fun to read. Relunctant heroes, sacrifice and love are some of the themes of this particular boo ...more
KostasAt
7.5/10

Τέταρτο βιβλίο με τους θρύλους των Ντρενάι και ο Gemmell αυτή τη φορά φτιάχνει μια πιο ελαφριά και διασκεδαστική ιστορία και αφήνει λίγο σε δεύτερη μοίρα την πλοκή. Παρ' όλο που είναι και αυτό το βιβλίο αυτόνομο, η ιστορία συνδέεται άμεσα με το "Βασιλία πέρα από την πύλη" καθώς τα γεγονότα παίρνουν μέρος 30 χρόνια μετά, με τα παιδιά του Τενάκα Χαν να έχουν μεγαλώσει.
Η πλοκή του βιβλίου αν και σε γενικές γραμμές δεν τραβάει πολύ, είναι σίγουρα διασκεδαστικό με τον Gemmell να δίνει ένα εκπλη
Jake Symmonds
Great read, one of my favorites in the series though the ending seemed a bit rushed.
Adrian Collins
Bloody hell I love David Gemmell's work. His grasp of the good and bad in each person is fantastic and I love the way that each book in the series is not really a direct sequel of the previous book, but a world where characters of previous novels are spoken of as heroes and villains from centuries past.

As I'm working my way through this series I'm finding myself really enjoy watching his works grow from Legend through to the finale of Troy.

The man is the father of heroic fantasy, of that there c
  • La reine solitaire (L'assassin royal, #6)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • Bodyguard Of Lightning (Orcs: First Blood, #1)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Jackal of Nar (Tyrants and Kings, #1)
  • Monument
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Winter Warriors (Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Hero in the Shadows (Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (Drenai Saga, #10) (The Damned, #1)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (Drenai Saga, #11) (The Damned, #2)
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)