La Guilde des magiciens (La Trilogie du magicien noir, #1)

La Guilde des magiciens (The Black Magician Trilogy #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  31,476 ratings  ·  1,236 reviews
« Cette jeune fille est plus puissante que la moyenne de nos élèves, peut-être même plus que nos mages ! Elle est un danger. Il faut la trouver et l’arrêter. »

Comme chaque année, les magiciens d’Imardin se réunissent pour nettoyer la ville des indésirables. Protégés par un bouclier magique, ils avancent sans crainte au milieu des vagabonds, des orphelins et autres malandri...more
Published May 23rd 2007 by Bragelonne (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about La Guilde des magiciens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Guilde des magiciens

Chelsea

"It's hollow, it goes on forever. My god... It's full of tropes!"

I mean, seriously. I'm not saying this book was complete Harry Potter rip off, but come on. It's got an orphan with mysterious powers, jealous bad guys who are disproportionately threatened by a child, a kindly old man, a wizard school with color coordinating robes and folks who don't take kindly to muggles, err, poor people. And yet there was no stew, no tunics, and no prophecy. I'm sure there will be a prophecy later. After all,...more
Jen3n
I was going to put this up on my "currently reading" shelf, but it didn't take me long enough to finish it. Or, perhaps, I read more than I check this website.

Either way, this book I just finished half an hour ago is a cute little start to what seems to be a simple and inoffensive fantasy trilogy set in a stock-and-trade fantasy setting with basic characters and a plot you would expect. THAT being said, it was interesting enough to make me go look for the second and third books. Or, rather, I WI...more
Ranting Dragon
This review was written by Manon for RantingDragon.com

The redundant beginning

Sonea is a dwell that lives in the slums. Everyone in the slums hates the Magicians that live safely, luxuriously and arrogantly up in their Magician’s Guild. Only those of the Houses can become Magicians, and those in the slums are regarded as rats of the city, without any magical potential.

Until Sonea and her gang start throwing rocks to the heads of the Magicians that have gathered for the annual Purge (the Purge bei...more
Romaine
Telling the story of Sonea a girl trying to live in a world of division where the magicians rule. Not only is she a girl but she is a commoner who could never be part of such a precious world. Well, things change and in an instant Sonea life changes through no fault of her own but all by accident.. The adventure begins when she discovers that she too possess the same precious power, that is ten times the strength of an ordinary magician.. Not only does this shock her but it also shocks the magic...more
David Sven
Jun 07, 2014 David Sven marked it as started-but-didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
Here's me being ruthless. It's my new year's resolution.

I'm giving this away at 16%. I'm not going to rate it because I haven't given it enough of a chance - but the style of writing reminds me of the first Harry Potter book ie written for young children, but without the same charm. The audio narration by Richard Aspel wasn't terrible, but very average - maybe it was what he had to work with?

Possibly, if I gave this more of a chance, this would grow on me as I like coming of age, process of disc...more
Inge
This book was divided into two parts and felt like two different stories to me. Part one would be 'The chase' and part two would be 'The actual story'. Thus I will review both parts seperately.

Part One: 2 stars

Sonea lives in the slums. She and her family have been put out of their homes by the magicians, and now they're back on the streets. This 'event' happens every year and is called the Purge. An angry mob gathers around the magicians, who are protected by a magical shield. No matter how many...more
Lamepun
A protagonist that is super special, and a world apparently divided into slums and powerful rich magic people? I like my fantasy in shades of grey, not black and white, and I'm sick of protagonists that are born more special than other people, rather than character development and hard work making them more special, so I guess I should have known this one wouldn't thrill me. But I was looking for a kickass female magician protagonist, and I thought maybe this would give it to me.

Pet Peeve: Canav...more
Shelly
This was better than I was expecting it to be. I like my fantasy a little darker than the standard and this had some components that fit nicely into that category. A world in which powerful, greedy magicians rule the world and keep society firmly under their thumb. The setting is fairly stock fantasy and the main character's unrelenting stubborness began to really annoy me. Both of these issues kept me from rating it higher than 3 stars but I still liked it enough to read the next book in the se...more
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
This book started off on the wrong foot for me, with a contradiction in the first paragraph (is the wind howling because of what it sees or is it silent because of what it sees?). The next few chapters did little to improve my opinion. The characters were stereotyped and the description clumsy. There were info dumps about how the world worked. There were words changed simply to make the world feel different—for example, ale became bol and there were substituted words for tea, coffee and trouble....more
Kylie Coulter
I love Trudi Canavan's ability to create imagined worlds with strong characters. Sonea is an ordinary slum girl, poor, yet honest. She has questionable ties that she left long ago in order to pursue a life her aunt and uncle would approve of. When the magicians of the guild come to purge the city of slum scum, Sonea finds herself amongst her old friendships. In the spirit of the rebellion from the city folk Sonea throws a stone at a group of magicians who have a magic shield up. Using her anger,...more
Allan
As a first novel it's not bad and, while it's enjoyable enough, that fact shows throughout.

The story lacks any real depth, character development is minimal, the plot is extremely predictable and the dialogue very stilted. I get the impression that Ms. Canavan has done a bit of Dungeons and Dragons playing as it comes close to such an adventure - all surface, single-layer action and no deep storyline. There is a little hint of a darker story in there but we don't get to see much of it here - perh...more
Dhuaine
Canavan became so popular that she unavoidably made me interested - she is getting lumped together with big names in industry, such as Rowling, Paolini and even Meyer. Out of these only Rowling is worth something, being the one to cause this avalanche. I was really curious whether Canavan was as bad as other fantasy-related authors loved by the public and finally got to read her books, courtesy of a friend.

The Magicians' Guild starts simply enough - lowest caste tangles into skirmishes with the...more
I didn't hate it, but I couldn't finish it. The multiple POVs worked against it, taking away all sense of mystery and suspense. You just sit waiting for the characters to work their misunderstandings out, knowing that eventually they will; it's just a question of how long it'll take. And boy, does it take a long time. Eventually I just decided it wasn't worth the wait.

The characters were all very simple and uninteresting to me. They're good or they're bad, they're male or they're female, but ve...more
N Islam
Sep 03, 2013 N Islam rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5 year olds who've finished reading peter and jane
Reading through this felt like trudging through mud. The writing was horrible, it was so dry and lifeless that I had to push myself really hard to reach even a quarter of the book. The characters are cardboard cutouts, having some traits borrowed from other more successful novels.

And don't get me started on the dialogue. It was nightmarish. The magic in this book has no construct to it, its just random people reading thoughts and throwing balls of fire. No joke.

The protagonist is a scared little...more
Fani
I really can't understand the popularity of this book. It was almost bad for me. The main problem was the lack of character development, especially the heroine's. They were all paper-cuts, without depth or emotions. The heroine was a silly girl, wanting to escape the Magician's Guild, although she has great power, because "the magicians are bad". And the first half of the book details her attemps to escape them and theirs to capture her. They get close, she escapes, they get closer, she escapes...more
Miriam
I didn't really need to read this, as it turns out.

I'd already read the second volume, and there was basically nothing in this that wasn't described adequately there. I was surprised at how much of the book passed before the magicians found Sonea and took her to the school. Pretty slow, really, with more background than necessary. I liked Sonea and Cery and Rothen as characters but was kind of bored. The High Lord, who is central to the plot of book two, hardly appears in this.
Kat
The first half of this book is a game of hide and seek, which eventually got very tiresome. It didn't serve any purpose that I could tell. The author could easily have scrapped at least a hundred pages, because all she did was repeating herself.

However, once I got past those 200-something pages it actually turned out to be a nice book. I enjoyed it from there on and it has some fine moments, but I wouldn't put another book aside for it.
Becky
Can't stop to review. Must begin next book immediately:

photo tumblr_ls11lsqWAM1qd9xk0_zps791027cb.gif
Kevin Xu
I would have loved the book a lot more, but the ending felt like a cligghanger that was to set up for the next book in the series as setting the stage. Because of that, the book was very predictable, but well written, making me wanting to read the rest of the trilogy.
Adrianna
The first half of this book was admittedly not a good read. The last half, however, was astounding. The only reason this book didn't get 5 stars from me is because of the beginning. There, now I've discouraged most of you into starting this... because who wants to suffer through a book just to get to a good part? We want the book to be good from the beginning, right?

Wrong. Well, that should be your answer, at least in this case. Somehow the slow beginning really pushed the lifestyle Cery and So...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

In the city of Imardin every year magicians drive the Thieves, beggars and the poor out of the city without any trouble, until one year a young woman called Sonea is able to break through their magical barrier. Now, the hunt is on, as the magicians to find her before she destroys the city and herself. Meanwhile, Sonea is trying to hide from them and the bounty on her head by taking refuge with the Thieves.

The Magici...more
T.O. Munro
Some books are about beautiful writing, some about memorable characters and others are about plotting an intricate story line.

This, for me, was a plot driven book, my interest sustained by the story, the writing a means to an end rather than an end in itself.

It is a book of two halves with strong central characters, in the returning slum dwelling girl Sonea and the wise mage and teacher Rovthen.

There is a degree of world building as Canavan sets out her stall with a city state with an internal c...more
Brandi
I wanted to like this, I really did, but the magicians were so weak and whiny that I gave up around 34% through. I skipped to 96% and read the end which filled me in nicely on what I had skipped, so I don't even feel like I missed anything. The only thing I liked at all in this book was Cery. It wasn't enough to keep my interest amid so many things that annoyed me, and I won't be recommending this one.

Isabella
Oct 28, 2012 Isabella marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Visto oggi in libreria a soli 9 euro.... mi ha praticamente gridato di acquistarlo.... POTEVO DIRE DI NO?
*Accarezza il romanzo con fare amorevole*
Majo
¡Me encantó!
Sinceramente no esperaba mucho de este libro, pensé que sería un rejunte de chiches sobre magia y aventuras, pero sorprendió gratamente.
Sonea es una gran personaje principal, puede parecer débil e indecisa, pero tiene una gran valentía y un fuerte deseo de ayudar a los demás, de seguro crecerá mucho durante la saga.
El resto de los personajes son queribles, incluso los que no ha participado demasiado de la trama.

El libro se divide en dos partes, el comienzo con la búsqueda de Sonea,...more
Eden
The first in the Black Magician trilogy, a coming-of-age tale focusing on a girl called Sonea, a commoner who’s power is so strong she is able to work rudimentary magic (something that hasn’t happened for hundreds of years, as magic must be unlocked.) The first novel follows her from the gutter, to a minor riot, to a cat-and-mouse game between herself and the magicians and then finally her inevitable capture.

This book came out clinging to the coat-tails of Harry Potter, though offers none of th...more
LiteraryLover
The Magicians' Guild is about young Sonea, a young girl who lives in the slums area of her world. The people in these slums are periodically thrown out of their town every winter in a ritual known as the Purge. Sonea and her family were trying to build a better life for themselves, and seemed to be succeeding until they were thrown out of their homes. At the beginning of the book Sonea is forced to go back to the slums to see if her old home is still available. Unfortunately she get's caught up...more
Liz
This book was interesting.

But let's keep it short.
The first 50-100 pages we full of action, strange and unusual things happened, a hunt started and the protagonist had to hide. It was thrilling.
Then, the hiding and searchin continued... I was okay with it, but it continued for half of the book what was a bit annoying after a while because more and more repetitions appeared and the author was just walking around the decisive part.

Then, it happened! Finally!
I thought it would get better. It d...more
Darrell
It is hard to believe that this is Ms. Canavan's first book. The story centers around Sonea who discovers that she has magical talent at the most inappropriate time. The powerful magician's guild is there to witness her discovery and then pursues her as she escapes into the slums that surround the city. The guild law doesn't allow for any magician's to thrive outside of the guild. Sonea is helped by the thieves but is finally discovered and taken to the guild. The guild offers her the choice of...more
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1)
  • Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #1)
  • Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • Die Rache der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #3)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Elfenlicht (Die Elfen, #3)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T...more
More about Trudi Canavan...
The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy, #3) The Novice (The Black Magician Trilogy, #2) The Magician's Apprentice (The Black Magician Trilogy, #0.5) The Ambassador's Mission (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #1) Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)

“It is said, in Imardin, that the wind has a soul, and that it wails through the narrow streets because it is grieved by what it finds there.” 100 likes
“How am I going to make friends with these people if all I can think of is how easy it would be to rob them?” 52 likes