Betsy Was a Junior & Betsy and Joe

Betsy Was a Junior & Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy #7-8)

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  477 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Betsy Was a Junior: It's the best school year ever, especially now that charming, funny Tib Muller is back in Deep Valley. But when her crowd gets into trouble, Betsy's best year could turn out to be her worst.

Betsy and Joe: Betsy always thought she and Joe Willard were made for each other—and now that summer's over and senior year's begun, it seems her dream is coming tru...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Harper Perennial Modern Classics (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Betsy Was a Junior & Betsy and Joe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betsy Was a Junior & Betsy and Joe

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Books for Girls Who Belong to Another Era
29th out of 177 books — 130 voters
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayRebel Angels by Libba BrayThe Sweet Far Thing by Libba BrayThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Teen Historical Novels
79th out of 484 books — 826 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl in CC NV
Well, I'm going to stick with these. But gosh Betsy and her big sister Julia are indulged. And it shows. I do not like Mrs. Ray - she's doing her best to teach them to be materialistic and shallow. Everything's lace this and feathers that. And let's form a high-school sorority so we can be even more exclusive than an ordinary club. And let's not try to get to know Tony for who he is, or to be honest with him, because obviously the only thing that should matter in his life is what Betsy thinks sh...more
laaaaames
May 11, 2011 laaaaames rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to laaaaames by: Jasmine
Shelves: favorites
You guys, Tib's back! This makes her the Stacey McGill of Deep Valley, am I right? AM I?

Joe Willard is one of the swooniest guys in literature, seriously. Considering he's based on Hart Lovelace's husband, she was quite a lucky lady, guys.

(read: 34 and 35)
Jasmine
Has there ever been a more romantic postcard than

"Did anyone ever tell you that you're a good dancer? Joe."

No. I didn't think so.
Amanda
Betsy Was A Junior:

(view spoiler)...more
Kiirsi Hellewell
No matter how many times I've read these books, I want to step in every time Betsy makes a mistake with Joe and scream, "Don't do it! You'll regret it!"

But Betsy's mistakes are part of the reason people love her so much. She is deeply human, not a perfect girl, and we can relate to her so easily. Every girl is Betsy...or Tacy...or Bonnie, Winona, Alice, Irma. Betsy's friends, her Crowd, her loving family and her beloved town of Deep Valley feel like home.

These books will never grow old.
Shelley
Read for the 1910/2010 high school graduation. I think I love these more with every reading, and that's pretty impressive.
Hannah
Betsy was a Junior... and a fabulous one at that!! I so loved Betsy's hilarious adventures in this book. Betsy's life changes as her older sister Julia heads off to college, and Betsy realizes that maybe forming strict clubs (like her Octo Deltas) is shutting out possible friendships with other lovely girls - and boys like Joe Willard. Sometimes I just want to tell Betsy - "don't do it!!!!" But that's what makes Betsy so awesome - she's SO REAL.

In Betsy and Joe, Betsy finally begins "going with"...more
Anna
BETSY WAS A JUNIOR:

Betsy makes a lot of plans for her junior year and has a lot of great ideas that don’t always turn out like she planned. She plans to “go with” Joe Willard, her rival in the annual Essay Contest, but he’s seeing the rich and beautiful Phyllis Brandish, the sister of Betsy’s ex-boyfriend, Phil. So she attends dances and parties with the silent but handsome Dave Hunt. When her sister, Julia, starts her freshman year at the University of Minneapolis and decides to join the Epsilo...more
steph
Review: June 2011

These two high school books will forever be my favorites. I re-read them anytime I feel down. And JOE YOU GUYS. JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Re-read & Review May 2014:

Betsy Was a Junior: Okay, so here's my more coherent review. Betsy&Joe's will be up in a day or two after I finish reading that book but I wanted to get this down first before I forgot. Betsy Was a Junior was fantastic. I love that this was the year she was determined to go with Joe, but when he started going with P...more
Rachel
Betsy Was a Junior
This one I found a little reminiscent of Heaven to Betsy, in that it's very focused on all the hanging out Betsy does with her friends (but not enough Tacy). This is the one in which Betsy, all fired up from hearing her sister's college stories, founds a sorority. Funnily, the book ends up being a very anti-sorority work, since both Betsy and her sister Julia end up having overall negative experiences with them. Betsy's negative experience is the opposite of the usual one, thou...more
Florinda
I'm incapable of doing one of my ordinary review posts about the Betsy-Tacy books. For one thing, they're re-reads, so I really can't approach them with fresh or objective eyes. It's been at least thirty years since I last read them, though, and now that the four high-school novels and two "grown-up" Betsy books are back in print, I was very excited to have the chance to revisit them...and, of course, to see if the magic was still there.

Returning to Deep Valley, Minnesota, and Betsy Ray's high-s...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Susie
Cover Story: Somebody call the Doctor!
BFF Charm: Yay! And Love!
Swoonworthy Scale: Book 7: 2 Book 8: 9.5
Talky Talk: Stealthily Educational
Bonus Factors: Delayed Gratification, Love Triangle
Anti-bonus Factors: Very Special Lesson, Child Bride, Black Face
Relationship Status: Totally Devoted

Read the full book report here.
Eli
Betsy and Joe first: Oh, Joe. I don't like you. I'm not a Tony Shipper, either. But Betsy and Joe was a ginormous "What You Don't Want" list for a potential husband. Shuts down when angry? Check. Won't let you explain? Check. Immediately believes the worst? Check. Immediately finds someone else to date? Check. With bonus jealousy and refusing to even be civil post breakup. But they're so cute together (when they work) that I forgive the character for being wayyy too difficult to like. He finally...more
It's interesting reading this books now - I read a few as a kid and really enjoyed them, and reading them now I can see that these later books were essentially "YA" before YA was a marketed thing.
Betsy and the Great World is still my favorite, but both of these stories were enjoyable.
Kathy Cowie
Yes, we finally finished this book! (Well, this was actually two books in one.) We have lived with Betsy now since she was five years old, and the girls and I have laughed and cried along with her, all the way through High School. (mostly laughed). If you have a daughter and you haven't read this series with her, or at least given it to her as a gift, you should. It is like an semi-urban Little House on the Prairie. I never read it as a girl, not sure why it never passed under my radar. But an a...more
Lea
Mar 13, 2014 Lea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lea by: Chantelle
Shelves: classics, ya
Betsy Was a Junior
In her junior year, Betsy plans to be at home more, learn to play the piano, do well in school and to go with Joe. Betsy is grand at making plans but really awful at the execution. Fabulously awful, which makes for a great story. There's the sorority she starts, with the best of intentions, that thwarts most of her plans. As in every book, she is a little more grown up by the end.

Betsy & Joe
Entering senior year, Betsy vows to act more grown up. As her style, she struggles...more
Abby
I hate to finish these books and leave 1910 behind. I have to say that Joe was unlikable until pretty much the last couple pages. Holding a torch for Tony over here.
Emily
I own all the Betsy-Tacy books plus Emily of Deep Valley in the early editions where they are all hardbacks and old-fashioned styled (obviously). It would be nice to have these editions too because they combine the books nicely and I would like to read the additional forewords and interviews that are in new editions. Of course the first editions I like more because that's the way the books were like originally. I love both of these Betsy books. Betsy is growing up and is getting more and more i...more
Holly
Hmmm....What can I say about these books? They do get a tiny bit repetitive, but I love them anyway. If you haven't read a Betsy-Tacy book, you really should give one a try. One nice thing about them is that Maud Hart Lovelace seems to have written them with the idea that you could pick up any book in the series and not be lost if you didn't read them in order. She gives history, descriptions of places, characters, etc. in every book.

I think Betsy and Joe is my favorite one in the series. Maybe...more
Joann
No matter how old I get, part of me will always be Betsy Ray. (Another part will always be Anne of Green Gables, but that's another series for another time.) Every few years I go back and revisit old friends, and every time I can't quite believe that these books were written almost 75 years ago. Fashions change, distractions change, sexual mores certainly change (how cute to read about existential angst over...holding hands!) but Betsy, Tacy, Tib and their Crowd always drive one thing home...bei...more
PWRL
May 21, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Jacob Combs
This book is very good! It wasn't my favorite in the series because Tony and Betsy didn't go together so he ran away and became an actor before graduating from high school. In the last chapter of the book, "After Commencement Day, What?" Joe tells Betsy that he had made a plan for life and that past fall he wasn't ready to take Betsy into the Plan. But now, after he thought it over, Joe wanted to be with Betsy and Betsy wanted to be with him. It was a good book and I recommend reading it.
Teri
Feb 11, 2010 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teri by: Ann's Book Club choice for Feb. 2010
The last six books of the Betsy-Tacy series were reprinted Sept of 2009. I am glad they chose to print two books together. I missed enjoying these wonderful books in my childhood, but adore them now. "Betsy Was a Junior" and "Betsy and Joe" are Betsy's junior and senior year in high school. I have enjoyed the forewords and biographical information in each book. Love these books so much! They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. A nice feeling in the world of today.
Jeri Schille
This is an old-fashioned book about a girl in high school that still manages to be timeless with her worries about school, boys and her looks, etc. I loved it's simplicity and also its wisdom--which seems to repeat itself throughout the generations. What was relevant in her life--such as fitting in, what career path to choose, who likes whom, popularity, family connections and love-- in 1910, is still relevant today. Cute, light and fun.
Chelsea
I read all four of the high school books in one gulp, so they blend together quite nicely for me, but I do know that I liked this particular collection better than the previous two. I enjoyed watching Betsy grow up.

I'm excited to get my hands on the final books in the series, because I'm curious to see how Lovelace handled her ambitious, intelligent female main character as compared to how LMM handled hers...
Renee
Awesome. I loved seeing Betsy's increasing maturity and rleationship with Joe. I missed her sister Julia and the way they intereacted, though as the oldest sister in my family I it was interesting reading the tales of the one left behind. I love the world gone by that Lovelace created anew in these books, and I'm itchin to get my hands on the next ones!
Kari
Betsy Was a Junior made me cringe in junior year self-recognition. It definitely marks a big step in Betsy's maturing, though I missed the carefree antics of Betsy, Tacy, and Tib's earlier years.

Betsy and Joe bored me a bit...until the end.

Both had some great passages and one-liners, and it's Betsy Tacy so I'm going to enjoy it regardless.
Caroline
Betsy was a Junior
Betsy engages in much silliness but learns a valuable lesson about the flaws of the Greek system. (Finished 5/13/12)

Betsy and Joe
I flew through this and was sorry to finish. Escapism, yes, but these books just made NPR's top 100 YA books list. 60 years after publication the magic is still there.
Luisa
If you know me well, you know how much I love "period novels." This pair of books, part of the Betsy-Tacy series, are two of my favorites so far. I have two left to read in the series, and I'm waffling between wanting to read them right away and saving them so I don't finish the series so quickly.
Natalie
Oh man! I didn't think Betsy could get any better but her Junior year in high school is so funny and charming that I couldn't put it down. And then I started "Betsy and Joe" and of course, I had to keep turning pages to find out how Betsy and Joe get together. Soooo good!
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Katie John
  • Nancy and Plum
  • The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #1)
  • When Patty Went to College
  • Mother
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • The Cheerleader
  • Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)
  • Jean and Johnny  (First Love, #3)
  • The FitzOsbornes at War (The Montmaray Journals, #3)
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • When the Whistle Blows
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat...more
More about Maud Hart Lovelace...
Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2) Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3) Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5) Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)

“We're growing up," Betsy said aloud. She wasn't even sure she liked it. But it happened, and then it was irrevocable. There was nothing you could do about it except to try and see that you grew up into the kind of human being you wanted to be.

"I'd like to be a fine one," Betsy thought quickly and urgently.”
0 likes