Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap

Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Peep is out for a walk with his mother and sisters. When they hop off a steep curb, Peep freezes. It's too high! He just can't do it!
Will peep overcome his fear and take a leap?
This gentle tale is perfect for anyone facing a challenge big or small.
Published March 3rd 2009 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Peep!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peep!

Natalie
Ug, nice "Great for Grads" sticker on the cover. Hoping for a spot next to Oh the Places You'll Go in bookstores?

I liked the use of color in the illustrations, and the hesitant little chick was sort of cute, but didn't really win me over.
Shawn Thrasher
Why exactly do we even care about Peep the chick and his leap off the curb? There are too many weird things about this book. The illustrations. The creepy green balloon and its loud pop. The scribbly illustrations that look like someone's doodles. This seems like some sort of vanity project that was picked up and published, but I don't know why. I usually hate children's picture books with an obvious message. I hate this book.
June
Apr 23, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chicken, fear and self confidence requests
A little chick is scared about jumping off a curb. With a little encouragement and support from Mom and siblings he does it. Ending picture hints at the next hurdle to overcome. Wonderful interjections, however, due to the size of the book this is best for small groups or one on one.
Jim
There are books that practically leap off the shelf when you see them in the store. "PEEP A Little Book About Taking a Leap" is one such title. The drawings, smudges and scratches of color with simple lines to define the scene, perfectly suit the main character's mood in each delightful spread of this deceptively simple book, as Peep the chick tries to muster the courage to plunge from the curb and into his life. The sticker on front of the book says "great for grads" and indeed this will likely...more
Jess
Apr 29, 2014 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jess by: browsing for chicken books for preschool
Shelves: 14, picture-books
The balloon entrance was a bit odd, but I suppose it's there to say you can still get scared and Mom will still be there.

Lauren Soucy
Wonderful illustrations!
Dolly
Jan 28, 2012 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This book came highly recommended and I've had it on my to-read shelf for quite a long time. So I was eagerly anticipating reading it with our girls. All I can say, though, is, "meh." It was okay, but nothing to crow about. The story shows a mom encouraging her little one to take a big leap (literally) and she gives him encouragement when he gets scared. So it's a nice tale, but the short narrative and line and scribble illustrations really didn't do it for me.
Lynn
I love PEEP!
The children in my preschool love Peep, too! It is very popular all day in our cozy corner, and especially at drop off time when parents read a story and head off to work. One child chose this book practically every morning for an entire school year, for his mom or dad to read to him before saying good-bye for the day. Peep is sweet, funny, full of emotion, and very reassuring, just right for young children making their own brave leaps into the world!
Gianna Marino
Mar 12, 2010 Gianna Marino rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gianna by: friends
This is one of my favorite little books. Who cannot relate to this little chick trying to take that big leap in life? Everyone can feel what little peep is feeling.

Maria is so clever with her simple, expressive illustrations and text that fits right in place with her splashes of color.

tictoctictoc... read this book, you will fall in love with it!
Sandy Brehl
A simple book with appeal for the very young, but it also transmits a strong message about facing our fears and challenges. A blurb on the cover says it's a great graduation gift, and I agree. Also ideal to use at the end of a school year, celebrating successes and reassuring about readiness for new challenges.
Acton
Mar 26, 2010 Acton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bodhi
Peep is a book about courage. In the book, a momma chicken is leading her baby chicks along a sidewalk. One of the chicks is named Peep. His brothers and sisters all jump off of a curb, but Peep is too scared. So, he waits there for a little while and then gets enough courage to jump. It was a good book.
Emmeline Guest
Amazing, yet simply, illustrations guide this book-of-few-words. Crayola Crayon inspired drawings express the emotions - fear, bravery, triumph, of a little yellow chick, scared to follow his family, and take a (BIG) step off the sidewalk.

Perfect for discussing fear (bravery, pride) with preschoolers!
Cassie
age 3 and up. Great story for dialogic reading and having conversations with children because the story can be related to their own experiences. Children can imitate some of the sounds depicted and improve their phonological awareness.
Sabrina Henry
This a simple book about a chick having doubts about what he can do. His mom and sisters encouraged him to do it and he did. I like the simple message of encouragement and the illustrations were simple and easy to follow.
Andrea
I think this book is pretty cute, but Melanie (2) doesn't really understand the pictures or story even though she likes to read it.
Lisa Ingold
Jun 01, 2009 Lisa Ingold rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little kids and their parents
Recommended to Lisa by: friend
I love this charming little book; my little boys and I have read it over and over. We love the story and the illustrations.
Carrie Gelson
Realistically depicts all of the up and down emotions associated with fear and then the courageous leap . . .
Rachel
Love the movement depicted in the illustrations, this has a great message to.
Shalentz
Loved all the yellow and the little peep. Didn't love the book.
Karen
Very cute, a confidence builder. Good for graduates.
Zack
Cute story with beautifully simple illustrations.
Shaun
Aug 08, 2009 Shaun rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: youth
Love this author and her simple illustrations.
Amy
This is one seriously cute book.
Laurie
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Maria was born and raised in Holland. She graduated from The George Washington University with a BFA in Visual Communications, and was Creative Director for The Coca-Cola Company.
She currently lives in San Francisco in a creaky 100-year old Victorian with her husband Peter and their son Max Pelle.
More about Maria van Lieshout...
Hopper and Wilson Backseat A-B-See Flight 1-2-3 Bloom!: A Little Book About Finding Love Hopper and Wilson Fetch a Star