Start by marking “Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap” as Want to Read:
Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap

Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Peep is out for a walk with his mother and sisters. When they hop off a steep curb, Peep freezes. It's too high! He just can't do it!
Will peep overcome his fear and take a leap?
This gentle tale is perfect for anyone facing a challenge big or small.
Published March 3rd 2009 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Peep!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peep!

Natalie
May 13, 2009 Natalie rated it it was ok
Ug, nice "Great for Grads" sticker on the cover. Hoping for a spot next to Oh the Places You'll Go in bookstores?

I liked the use of color in the illustrations, and the hesitant little chick was sort of cute, but didn't really win me over.
Siskiyou-Suzy
Peep!: A Little Book About Taking a Leap is a cute book about conquering fears: a little chick must hop from a curb when the rest of his family does so, but is too afraid. Spoiler alert: he faces his fear and does it.

I like the artwork style, with watercolor conveying movement. The bright yellow of the book is so awfully cheery! I liked how only Peep was yellow -- it draws your eye to him and emphasizes the casualness of the other chicks ability to hop down and up. You know that feeling when yo
Shawn Thrasher
Apr 07, 2014 Shawn Thrasher rated it did not like it
Why exactly do we even care about Peep the chick and his leap off the curb? There are too many weird things about this book. The illustrations. The creepy green balloon and its loud pop. The scribbly illustrations that look like someone's doodles. This seems like some sort of vanity project that was picked up and published, but I don't know why. I usually hate children's picture books with an obvious message. I hate this book.
Jim
Jun 16, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing
There are books that practically leap off the shelf when you see them in the store. "PEEP A Little Book About Taking a Leap" is one such title. The drawings, smudges and scratches of color with simple lines to define the scene, perfectly suit the main character's mood in each delightful spread of this deceptively simple book, as Peep the chick tries to muster the courage to plunge from the curb and into his life. The sticker on front of the book says "great for grads" and indeed this will likely ...more
Jess
Apr 29, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
Recommended to Jess by: browsing for chicken books for preschool
Shelves: picture-books, z_14
The balloon entrance was a bit odd, but I suppose it's there to say you can still get scared and Mom will still be there.

Dec 05, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
This is a quick read-aloud that will spark good discussion with students about taking risks and trying new things.
Tara
I didn't get this book.
Lauren Soucy
Aug 11, 2014 Lauren Soucy rated it really liked it
Wonderful illustrations!
June
Apr 11, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chicken, fear and self confidence requests
A little chick is scared about jumping off a curb. With a little encouragement and support from Mom and siblings he does it. Ending picture hints at the next hurdle to overcome. Wonderful interjections, however, due to the size of the book this is best for small groups or one on one. 4/22/14

Since my the day care didn't come I was able to use this for story time. Even though the kids were a little young the peeps and tic tocs... seemed to keep their attention. 3/31/15

Was a huge hit in story time.
Dolly
Jan 28, 2012 Dolly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012
This book came highly recommended and I've had it on my to-read shelf for quite a long time. So I was eagerly anticipating reading it with our girls. All I can say, though, is, "meh." It was okay, but nothing to crow about. The story shows a mom encouraging her little one to take a big leap (literally) and she gives him encouragement when he gets scared. So it's a nice tale, but the short narrative and line and scribble illustrations really didn't do it for me.
Lynn
Apr 05, 2009 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I love PEEP!
The children in my preschool love Peep, too! It is very popular all day in our cozy corner, and especially at drop off time when parents read a story and head off to work. One child chose this book practically every morning for an entire school year, for his mom or dad to read to him before saying good-bye for the day. Peep is sweet, funny, full of emotion, and very reassuring, just right for young children making their own brave leaps into the world!
Gianna Marino
Mar 12, 2010 Gianna Marino rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gianna by: friends
This is one of my favorite little books. Who cannot relate to this little chick trying to take that big leap in life? Everyone can feel what little peep is feeling.

Maria is so clever with her simple, expressive illustrations and text that fits right in place with her splashes of color.

tictoctictoc... read this book, you will fall in love with it!
Sandy Brehl
A simple book with appeal for the very young, but it also transmits a strong message about facing our fears and challenges. A blurb on the cover says it's a great graduation gift, and I agree. Also ideal to use at the end of a school year, celebrating successes and reassuring about readiness for new challenges.
Acton
Mar 26, 2010 Acton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bodhi
Peep is a book about courage. In the book, a momma chicken is leading her baby chicks along a sidewalk. One of the chicks is named Peep. His brothers and sisters all jump off of a curb, but Peep is too scared. So, he waits there for a little while and then gets enough courage to jump. It was a good book.
Emmeline Guest
Sep 02, 2009 Emmeline Guest rated it really liked it
Amazing, yet simply, illustrations guide this book-of-few-words. Crayola Crayon inspired drawings express the emotions - fear, bravery, triumph, of a little yellow chick, scared to follow his family, and take a (BIG) step off the sidewalk.

Perfect for discussing fear (bravery, pride) with preschoolers!
Cassie
age 3 and up. Great story for dialogic reading and having conversations with children because the story can be related to their own experiences. Children can imitate some of the sounds depicted and improve their phonological awareness.
Sabrina Henry
This a simple book about a chick having doubts about what he can do. His mom and sisters encouraged him to do it and he did. I like the simple message of encouragement and the illustrations were simple and easy to follow.
Andrea
Jan 06, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-library
I think this book is pretty cute, but Melanie (2) doesn't really understand the pictures or story even though she likes to read it.
Lisa Ingold
Jun 01, 2009 Lisa Ingold rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: little kids and their parents
Recommended to Lisa by: friend
I love this charming little book; my little boys and I have read it over and over. We love the story and the illustrations.
Carrie Gelson
Mar 09, 2013 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
Realistically depicts all of the up and down emotions associated with fear and then the courageous leap . . .
Rachel
Dec 17, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Love the movement depicted in the illustrations, this has a great message to.
Shalentz
Jan 25, 2013 Shalentz rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Loved all the yellow and the little peep. Didn't love the book.
Karen
Sep 11, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute, a confidence builder. Good for graduates.
Zack
Mar 24, 2009 Zack rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story with beautifully simple illustrations.
Shaun
Aug 08, 2009 Shaun rated it liked it
Shelves: youth
Love this author and her simple illustrations.
Amy
Oct 13, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This is one seriously cute book.
Laurie
Apr 13, 2009 Candi marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-for-kids
All ages
Darla Deibler
Darla Deibler marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Maria was born in Holland and grew up in a small town just outside of Amsterdam called Oegstgeest.
After finishing high school in Holland, she graduated from George Washington University with a BFA in Visual Communications, and worked for The Coca-Cola Company, first in her native Holland and later in the US.
In 2000, Maria's dream of winning the lottery became a reality. She won the green card lott
More about Maria van Lieshout...