Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

Enlisting in the hundred-year-old debate about the identity of the world's first serial killer, this Mammoth investigation introduces the facts of the famous case and presents some of the most convincing, if conflicting, theories of the murderer's identity.
Published April 20th 1999 by Running Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper

Kimberly
Jan 14, 2017 Kimberly rated it really liked it
This book contained mostly "factual" information about the Ripper murders, followed by conjecture and possible suspects. I have to admit that his crimes have fascinated me for quite a while, and I'm always interested in reading new theories and speculations.
Bernard Schaffer
Jul 15, 2012 Bernard Schaffer rated it it was amazing
This book assisted me enormously while researching Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes, to the extent that by the time I was finished writing, my copy of this was in tatters from being high-lighted, dog-eared, and folded so many times. The profiles of the people involved and the timelines it presents are invaluable. I highly recommend it. Bernard Schaffer
Robin
Dec 06, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well laid out introduction of the Ripper murders. It has a timeline of overall events in the beginning and then covers each of the “canonical five” victims in chronological order, first going over a short background of the victim, then giving an account of the day/night of their murder, and following it up with a description of each post mortem and inquest.

It then provides all the “Key Text” from the case. Witness statements, autopsy reports, the ripper letters, and more.

Then com
Christa
May 22, 2017 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a really good book that I've been seeing on the library shelf for months. I grabbed it finally and over all I'm glad I did. While slightly repetitive and maybe slightly outdated, it provides a lot of useful information for someone writing a book or someone (like me) who is just interested in the legend of Jack the Ripper.

The "current views" essays make up the bulk of the book. For the most part they were well researched and though I don't agree with their "candidates" I still found thei

Mark Sohn
Feb 03, 2017 Mark Sohn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good starting point for those willing to travel a very dark path; armchair investigators will find this book useful, lots of facts and information. Not a flowing read, however.
nettebuecherkiste
Jun 13, 2013 nettebuecherkiste rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sachbuch
Whitechapel, London, 1888. Morde sind in den Londoner Slums nichts Ungewöhnliches. Doch solche Morde? Jemand schneidet Prostituierten die Kehle durch und verstümmelt sie anschließend grausam. Vom Täter gibt es keine Spur. So plötzlich, wie die Morde begannen, hören sie auch wieder auf. Und noch mehr als 100 Jahre später lässt uns ein Name erschaudern. Wer war Jack the Ripper?

Dieses Buch habe ich vor einiger Zeit als Kindle-Deal des Tages erworben. Ich kannte zu diesem Zeitpunkt auch die Mammoth-
Aoife
This book is somewhat hard to rate, as I think overall it achieved what it's supposed to do (i.e. give you an overview some of the theories on Jack the Ripper) but it could have done it a lot better.

The book is divided into three parts. The first gives you just the cold facts based on the police-records, eye-whitness accounts etc. and this is just written horribly. Main clause after main clause. It reads like it was written by a fourth-grader...however I do get used to bad writing rather quickly
Katherine Addison
its centerpiece is a collection of essays written by prominent Ripperologists discussing their favorite candidates for the mantle of Ripper. The prize must be awarded to M.J. Trow for his deadpan satire, undetectable until the reveal, putting forward the reformer Frederick Charrington. The sad thing is that his satire is better argued and more persuasive than some of the sincere efforts in the collection. Possible Rippers include William Henry Bury, Francis Tumblety, James Maybrick, James Kelly, ...more
Brendan
Recently watched Murder by Decree and From Hell (almost the exact same movie, except one has Sherlock Holmes) and read Anno Dracula, in which Saucy Jack figures prominently (albeit as vampire killer), and I wanted to read some of the history. This book certainly delivers, with lots of witness statements and such at the beginning and then a raft of essays positing a raft of suspects. A lot of these are interesting from the point of view of persuasive writing. I really might use some excerpts with ...more
Kathryn
An interesting book, but I found it to be quite repetitive. Understandably each of the essays were individually written so there was bound to be some repetition. However, even the introductory passages, 'Undisputed Facts' and 'Key Texts' sections seemed to be repeating themselves to the point where I just skim-read past those bits.

The individual theories presented range from the almost believable to the completely absurd. There was also a few contradictions between the different theories and it
Amy Sturgis
This is a terrific addition to the collection of anyone who is interested in the Autumn of Terror and the state of so-called Ripperology. Along with a case overview of the murders, this volume collects seventeen different arguments about the identity of the Ripper from the world's leading researchers, scholars, and author celebrities. As a historian, I am fascinated by what the Whitechapel murders and the media sensation around them tell us about the time. I don't have a "pet suspect," and I'm s ...more
Yas

I find the subject matter and the constant debate about who Jack the Ripper was, fascinating and therefore try and read whatever comes up about the subject. However, this is such a dull read I can't be bothered to continue. It's not even got to the stage where various authors discuss their theories of who is the most likely suspect, it's a constant rehashing of the murders/autopsies and evidence, which is rehashed several times - so much so, I feel as though I know each individual death by hear
Kaisa
Mar 28, 2013 Kaisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mielenkiintoinen ja kattava tietokirja Viiltäjä-Jackista. Kirjan alussa esitellyt faktat tukevat loistavasti tutkijoiden kirjoittamia omia näkemyksiään murhista ja niiden tekijästä. Viiltäjä-Jackin mysteeri tuskin koskaan tulee selviämään ellei tulevaisuudessa keksitä aikakonetta, mutta tapaus on edelleen yksi historian mielenkiintoisempia. Oliko murhien takana yksi sarjamurhaaja vai joukko copycat-tappajia? Oliko syyllinen häiriintynyt taidemaalari, parturi, lääkäri, teurastaja vai jopa kuninka ...more
Shan Ellis
Mar 17, 2013 Shan Ellis rated it liked it
Well it did what it said on the cover! It's a collection of evidence and then ripperologists essays speculating the identity of good old Jack. I read it for reference but found myself drawn into the world of late 19th Century London. Depravity, poverty and gin. Lots of gin. It's well worth a look at if you're interested in Ripper history, but the truth is still out there, not that we'll ever find it now!
Jenae
Apr 06, 2007 Jenae rated it really liked it
If you ever wanted to know anything about the Ripper murders, this book is for you! It presents the hard evidence pertaining to the cases and discusses the many, many theories of what actually happened. This book does a very good job of not being overly biased regarding one particular theory or another.
Suzushii
Aug 01, 2012 Suzushii rated it really liked it
Well researched, extensively even. Detailed without being ghoulish. Shows points of view from plausible to questionable but lets the reader make up his mind. The extensive factual introduction puts the subsequent articles in the frame of cold facts so any exageration or insinuation by the author becomes clear.
David Vinther
May 08, 2012 David Vinther rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Very good book, although it does tend to become repetitive with the rehashing of the victims over and over as each person makes their case for who they think the killer was. That said, I've read the book twice, and continue to debate with myself over who's theory i like best. A must for anyone interested in Jack the Ripper and his crimes.
Leisa
Oct 03, 2013 Leisa rated it liked it
This is definitely interesting and a really quick read.

My only problem with it is that while it boasts itself as a fully comprehensive look into the murders, the book may be just a little too comprehensive (if that makes sense). It just felt like a lot of information that was there for the sake of being there.

Overall it was just okay.
Jeb
A compilation of essays by various writers that detail the possible identities of Jack The Ripper. Some are far-fetched, and poorly argued, others have me convinced they know who the real killer was. A very interesting read that approaches Jack The Ripper from numerous angles.
Barry H. Wiley
Jul 24, 2015 Barry H. Wiley rated it it was amazing
This is a reference book, not intended to be read from cover to cover. The articles are well selected and well written, and solidly researched. Will definitely give any reader a strong base from which to judge the almost endless Ripper books.
Kim Jones
May 24, 2015 Kim Jones rated it really liked it
This book described so much detail of all the suspects who could of been known as Jack the Ripper. I really enjoyed reading this book, I was so fascinated in this book, I managed to read it within three days.
Paul
Feb 10, 2009 Paul rated it liked it
I wanted to get more of the Jack the Ripper story, so how can I turn down "The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper!". It needs an exclamation point on it, so I put it there. "Dancers, here are your final 10!"
Tom
Feb 13, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and varied essays

This book is a collection of essays covering the pertinent facts of an enduring mystery, as well as several theories and suspects. All are readable, and often enjoyable. None of the theories can be an absolute conclusion, but many are intriguing.
Emma
Apr 13, 2012 Emma marked it as to-read
*****THIS BOOK IS ON AMAZON UK FOR 0.99p AS THE KINDLE DEAL OF THE DAY*****

ONE DAY ONLY.........
Dr. Andrew
Jun 02, 2009 Dr. Andrew rated it it was amazing
This is a great place to start if the subject interests you....
Cecilia Haak
Good anthology of a variety of theories of who could have been Jack the Ripper. Overall the conclusion appears to be: we will never know.
Booklover73 Gonzalez
Feb 09, 2011 Booklover73 Gonzalez rated it really liked it
A fine read. It gives several points of view from several well-respected experts in the field.
Lilacraindrops
Feb 28, 2013 Lilacraindrops rated it really liked it
Brilliant book.

Definitely a mammoth book. Chronicling the murders, also the views of many different Ripperologists. So many credible theories. This mystery will just run and run.
Mark Frampton
Jan 03, 2016 Mark Frampton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating look at the world's most famous serial killer, with many hypotheses proving that there are so many suspects that we will never know the truth.
Andrew Garvey
Full review with notes on each of the 17 essays to follow soon(ish) at www.spookyisles.com
  • The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion
  • The Complete Jack the Ripper
  • Victorian Murderesses: A True History of Thirteen Respectable French and English Women Accused of Unspeakable Crimes
  • Rose West: The Making of a Monster
  • The Complete History of Jack the Ripper
  • American Murder Houses: A Coast-to-Coast Tour of the Most Notorious Houses of Homicide
  • 1888: London Murders in the Year of the Ripper
  • Jack the Ripper: The Casebook
  • London 1849: A Victorian Murder Story
  • And the Dead Shall Rise: The Murder of Mary Phagan and the Lynching of Leo Frank
  • Jack the Ripper: The Simple Truth
  • Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect
  • Mad Mary Lamb: Lunacy and Murder in Literary London
  • The Jack the Ripper A to Z
  • Death at the Priory: Love, Sex, and Murder in Victorian England
  • The London Monster: A Sanguinary Tale
  • The World's Most Infamous Murders
  • Open Season
Maxim Jakubowski is a crime, erotic, and science fiction writer and critic.

Jakubowski was born in England by Russian-British and Polish parents, but raised in France. Jakubowski has also lived in Italy and has travelled extensively. Jakubowski edited the science fiction anthology Twenty Houses of the Zodiac in 1979 for the 37th World Science Fiction Convention (Seacon '79) in Brighton. He also con
More about Maxim Jakubowski...

“Please tread carefully and keep away from the shadows; you are about to enter the abyss.” 0 likes