So Not Happening (The Charmed Life, #1)

So Not Happening (The Charmed Life #1)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,896 ratings  ·  187 reviews
New York's social darling just woke up in a nightmare: Oklahoma. Problem is, it's right where God wants her.

Bella Kirkwood had it all: A-list friends at her prestigious private school, Broadway in her backyard, and Daddy's MasterCard in her wallet. Then her father, a plastic surgeon to the stars, decided to trade her mother in for a newer model.

When Bella's mom falls in lo...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
12th out of 505 books — 476 voters
Waterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Best Christian YA Books
19th out of 137 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Siri
Jenny B. Jones is an awesome author, with all (and more) wit and hilarity than Meg Cabot...but, cleaner (BIG bonus) and Christian (DOUBLE bonus ;) And this series is no exception! After So Not Happening when I thought it couldn’t get better, lo and behold! I’m So Sure topped its predecessors ABSOLUTELY AWESOME with ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY FANTASTIC!I enjoyed I'm So Sure so much I'm probably going to read it again. It had me on the edge of my seat, laughing 'til I was red in the face. XD
An even bett...more
Ann Miller
So Not Happening totally happens. I spent a day reading and laughing myself silly with my daughter looking daggers at me, making me shut up till she could get her mitts on Jones’ fourth outing. The book was so captivating, I took it with me to friends' and finished reading it over pizza. My rudeness is so the fault of Jenny B. Jones’ hilarious prose. I refused to give the book up until I went back and reread my favorite parts—like the kiss—while my daughter stood by tapping her foot.

Lest you thi...more
Valencia
WOULD BELLA JUST GET WITH LUKE ALREADY?! AAAAAAH THE WAIT IS KILLING ME, THEY BETTER END UP TOGETHER... LIKE PLEASE!

[image error]
Jill Williamson
Review by Jill Williamson

Bella Kirkwood’s mother is getting remarried, whether Bella likes it or not. But that’s not the worst thing that could happen to this Manhattan girl. Bella’s new stepfather lives in Truman, Oklahoma, and, since Bella’s dad is going through a selfish phase, she has no choice to move from her fast-paced uptown life to Cow Town, USA.

Bella start out okay, but a harsh venting session about small town life on her old Ask Miss Hillard blog gets the wrong kind of attention: the...more
Julie Graves
Bella Kirkwood was living the life of luxury. She had her own credit cards, lived in Manhattan, the best boyfriend, in the “in-group” at her all-girls school. That life changes when her mother re-marries and she is forced to move to Truman, Oklahoma.

From the moment she arrives things do not seem to go well. In an effort to unite the family her mother cancels all of her credit cards. She is forced to ride to school with her step-brother in his “hearse”. When she writes some non-flattering things...more
Ashley
Jun 19, 2011 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: Lori
Shelves: reviewed
Bella Kirkwood -New York socialite, fashionista, school advice columnist and Oklahoma Cowgirl? Bella doesn’t think so either, and she’s determined to get a one-way ticket back to her glamorous life in the city, one way or another. But, God has other plans, like new friends, and irritating editor and a mystery that Bella just can’t help but stick her nose in.
“So Not Happening” is the funniest book I’ve ever read, and my favorite read of this year. I mean, you’d be hard pressed to find a YA novel...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Bella's life has been turned upside down. In the blink of an eye she has gone from living in NYC with her "plastic surgeon to the stars" father and her charity, fund-raising mom - to living in Truman, Oklahoma. On a farm, no less, with her mom, new step-dad, and two step brothers. The oldest which seems to be going to great lengths to make her life impossible.

To make matters worse, she manages to alienate herself further when she blogs at her old school's website (Hilliard School for Girls) abou...more
Christy
So Not Happening is just fabulous! At first, I didn't quite know what to think about this 16-year-old spoiled brat of a girl who was a New York transplant in Oklahoma. I mean, Bella's a little self-absorbed, a little snobbish, but she's all kinds of snappy--as in the Queen of One-Liners--except when she says a little bit too much on a blog for the whole town of Truman to see. Not that there's a lot of folks in Truman, but there's enough there that her friends scale slides to zero really quick!

So...more
Kate
Oh how I loved this book! Jenny B. Jones has written a wonderful novel perfectly captured from a city girl's point of view. Bella is such a witty, smart and irresistible character. You will love Bella's hilarious insights on farm life. So Not Happening had me laughing out loud the whole time! The mystery in the book got me hooked and will keep readers turning the pages! For someone who everyone assumes is a "spoiled brat", Bella sure proved them all wrong by ultimately becoming the heroine.

The...more
Brenda
I stayed up late last night to finish this book, cause the last part got intense! I was thinking I was just reading your typical YA chick-lit, but I was wrong. So Not Happening was the first book I've read by Jenny B. Jones. Sidenote: I can't get past the author's name. I either think of Jenny Jones the talk show host, or Junie B. Jones, the childrens series.

Anyway, the book is about Bella, a teenage girl whose parents are divorced. She lives in and loves New York. Her mom gets remarried, and sh...more
Arya
Bella Kirkwood has been forced (against her will!) to leave her beloved New York and move in with her Mother's Neanderthal of a husband and his two uncivilized sons. Is it any wonder that she is miserable? But then everything changes. Something strange is going on in the small town of Truman, Oklahoma - and in between giving an "extreme makeover" to one of her new friend and alienating the entire student population - she is determined to figure out what it is.

Luke Sullivan is the editor of the...more
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: The first time I saw this was down the book aisle at Wal-mart. It caught my eye. I just knew I had to read it. We meet Bella who is just a normal girl from New York. She likes fashion and is somewhat spoiled. She is forced to move to a country town in Oklahoma because her mom got remarried to some guy she met on the Internet. Bella gets stuck with two stepbrothers, one which is around the same age as she is. We also meet her boyfriend Hunter from New York. I did not like him at all,...more
Danielle
Review posted here at my blog.

I love the euphoric feeling I get when I read a book by a new-to-me author and love it completely and totally. I think I’ve found a new favorite and can’t wait to gobble up everything else that author has written. Sometimes the book I loved turns out to be a fluke, but other times, as in the case of Jenny B. Jones, my initial reaction was right and I’ve found a new bookish BFF. I loved Save the Date and was thrilled to learn that it was not Jenny’s first work!

So Not...more
Camille
The beginning of this book was incredibly frustrating to read because of all the horrible things that happen to Bella. I was outraged that Bella's parents would treat her as they did. Maybe I'm just so used to being a grownup that the context of being a teenager, where your parent's control much of your life, struck me as ridiculous. I thought to myself several times, "Why don't you just move out and do things your own way? Being an independent adult really isn't that hard." It took some time fo...more
T.V and Book Addict
Rating: 3.6/5
Age R: 13+
Release Date: May 5
Thoughts:
So Not Happening is about 16 year old Bella Kirkwood who's mom gets married to a guy she barely knows, Jacob Ralph Finley. Unfortunately the "fun" doesn't stop there, she is forced to leave her home sweet home in NYC and move to Oklahoma. This is something Bella absolutely hates! She does not want to live in a place where people can't tell the difference between "Payless shoes and Prada." Besides that, she now has two new step brothers, one of w...more
Heather
Rating C+

Review This book got on my nerves so thoroughly throughout that I had to force myself to keep going, but I persevered and it ended up being... not bad.

The plot started off ridiculously slow, but picked up at the last fifty pages (enough to get me to pick up the next book in the series... I'm such a sucker for a series).

The reason this book was a C+ (slightly above average) was because at times (albeit rarely) the dialogue actually made me laugh out loud. Literally. Not text speak. Liter...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I don't read many teen books, but this one was a lot of fun.

Bella Kirkwood is a mini little New York socialite. Daddy is a rich, famous plastic surgeon and Bella is spoiled beyond belief. When her father has a mid-life crisis and decides to trade her mother in for new and different models, Bella has her own crisis. To make matters worse, her mother meets a man on the internet and travels to Oklahoma to marry him. Bella not only gains a stepfather who works in a feminine products factory and live...more
Evie
I love this book! At first I thought it was going to annoy me because Bella is rather spoiled in the beginning but Jenny B. Jones played it out so good that after awhile I didn't even think about it. This book was just flat out funny! Seriously this author is hilarious! I was laughing so hard at parts of this book! Even a certain part in the climax, which was really inappropriate on my part probably since it was so intense but jeez it was just so funny! And that leads me to the plot.
I sort of e...more
Kelly
Jenny Jones has a charming book here 3 1/2 stars. Bella is forced to move from New York, to small town OK. Her mother is re-marrying. She is leaving her upscale lifestyle, full of shopping, limitless credit cards, and all her best friends (and boyfriend too), to move to a place where cows outnumber people. Bella is not happy, and spends the majority of the book pining for her old life. After becoming a social exile, she finds herself assigned to the school newspaper. Between new assignments (bot...more
Kathryn  Cooper
Reviewed on Clean Teen Fiction

Poor Isabella is having a rough time. Her parents divorce, and her mom remarries moving Bella from the Manhattan elite to an Oklahoma farm. I love when Bella first meets a cow and gets up close and personal with a dumpster. . . hilarious. She makes some mistakes in her journey to cope with her new life. It's painful to watch, but she lives and learns.

This book is funny and heartwarming with a little romance. If you enjoy contemporary YA Christian fiction you'll lo...more
Emily Olson
If someone asked me if I could meet one author in the entire world, without blinking I would say Jenny B. Jones. Then I'd start to bust out laughing just thinking about her hysterical books! My sister asked me too explain this book to her and I said, "Well, it's a mystery, romance, comedy, country, city, girly-girl, christian novel." She looked at me like I was nuts! But it's true! If you are ever wondering what type of book to read, I would definitely recommend this book. It's the full package.
Aimee
Wow, this author has sarcasm down to an art! I've really never read a book whose character was SO sarcastic. I do admit to enjoying a good bit of sarcastic humor and there were definitely places in this book that made me laugh. I have the second book of this series to read, but I think I'll read a few other books first as not to overdose on the heavy sarcasm. This book had no foul language or swearing. No sex either. I REALLY appreciated that.
Cathy Daniel
Oh my goodness, what a fabulous book!! I can't wait to read the next one in the series :) not as LOL funny as her others but I still laughed in parts and it was fun to have a mystery to boot! :) I really sympathized with Bella in the beginning for all she endured but I'm glad for her growth (as well as the other characters) by the end. I'd give this more stars if I could!
Haleigh
This was a really good book! It had everything a good book should have. It was written for girls but guys could read it too. It was about a irl who had to move and leave everything behind....
Megan Emily
I really love Jenny B Jones and hope she comes out with lots more books to come! She is so funny and I can easily relate with her characters. I do love the men in these books too of course. ;)
Georganna
Nov 03, 2011 Georganna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All girls 11-16
Recommended to Georganna by: myself
Shelves: favorites
I really loved this one. It was super good and really interensting. It was a I-DON'T-CARE-IF-IT'S-DINNERTIME-I'M-NOT-PUTTING-THIS-BOOK-DOWN kind of read.
Faye
A great time and fun read. I was laughing so hard at points and I really liked the mystery elements to the story. I couldn't help liking this one.
Erin
Aug 18, 2011 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!!! Sooo funny and romantic. Had moments of suspence and always kept me wanting more! Way to go Jenny B. Jones!
Audrey
Really good. It was pretty predictable, that's why it's 4.5 stars. But I liked the characters and the writing.
Nikki
I could totally relate to the narrator because she is just so darn sassy. There is so much sass in these books that I wish I had the ability to sass the way she sasses. Plus, it's adorable because she's from a big city and she meets Luke (oh. my. word.) and he is so smart and southern and it's perfect. She's always going on these escapades to solve mysteries and whatnot and he's always saving her and I'm making so many grammatical errors right now that it's not even funny. So this book probably...more
  • The Summer of Cotton Candy (Sweet Seasons, #1)
  • Sketchy Behavior
  • The Miracle Girls (Miracle Girls, #1)
  • Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9)
  • The Last Dance (Carter House Girls, #8)
  • It's All About Us (All About Us, #1)
  • Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book (Real Life, #1)
Four-time Carol Award winner Jenny B. Jones writes Christian Fiction romance with equal parts wit, sass, and untamed hilarity. Since writing for both women and teens leaves her with very little free time, she believes in spending her spare hours in meaningful, intellectual pursuits, such as watching E!, going to the movies and inhaling large buckets of popcorn, and writing her name in the dust on...more
More about Jenny B. Jones...
There You'll Find Me Save the Date I'm So Sure (The Charmed Life, #2) So Over My Head (The Charmed Life, #3) Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God

“Make me proud today, Robmeister. Keep your hands to yourself and remember rule number one above all things.'

'Don't discuss politics.'

'No, the other one.'

Robbie nods. 'Don't eat glue.' He drops his chin. 'It's my weakness.”
13 likes