Start by marking “Watermelon Day” as Want to Read:
Watermelon Day

Watermelon Day

There's a watermelon growing in the corner of the patch where the fence posts meet, and Jesse is waiting for it. Waiting for it to fill up with the cool summer rain and the hot summer sun. Waiting until at last it is ripe and ready for eating. Waiting until it is ready for her family's annual Watermelon day.
Published March 15th 1996 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Watermelon Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watermelon Day

Bobbing for Watermelons by April  MooreSlice by Steven HerrickWar and Watermelon by Rich WallaceThe Watermelon King by Daniel WallaceHummingbird by Kimberly Greene Angle
Watermelon
18th out of 32 books — 10 voters
The Underneath by Kathi AppeltKeeper by Kathi AppeltThe True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp by Kathi AppeltUntitled Kathi Appelt Novel 2 by Kathi AppeltCounting Crows by Kathi Appelt
Best of Kathi Appelt
24th out of 42 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Alice
Mar 13, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I hate watermelon...I don't like melons in general...so enjoy.
But I grew pumpkins last year for the first time...and I have decided I should just grow sunflowers and pumpkins, because I am a natural! I grew the pumpkins honestly to just have for decoration in the Fall. And I got 5 pumpkins out of one small seed. The watching it grow and nurture like the girl with her watermelon...I get it... a lot of work for just one meal. That is how I feel about my whole garden 4 months of work and one meal
Christy
Mar 30, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Paige Norwood
May 21, 2016 Paige Norwood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s_lit
Great children's book to read with kiddos or just to get in touch with your inner kiddo. Simple story is highlighted with action words, beautiful illustrations and depicts the growth cycle of a watermelon during the summer months. Had me craving watermelon after.
Emily
Apr 28, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
I was not a huge fan of this book, just because the simplicity of it. This could be why the book is good though as well. I could see it being used for an introductory text when students are watching plans grow. They can see how it takes time, water, and sun to nurture and grow.
Kim
Jun 12, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
A fun day for all to celebrate. The day the watermelon is picked, and the long wait until that delicious day.
Khadija Bensaadoun
Apr 23, 2012 Khadija Bensaadoun rated it really liked it
A simple story about a young boy who excitedly waits for his watermelon to ripe. This book could be used for a 2nd grade science lesson on seeds. The students can discuss the different kinds of seeds of vegetables and fruits. For an activity the teacher can bring different seeds and the students identify what fruit or vegetable the seeds come from. Extension: the students can label the different parts of a seed.
Stephanie Ung
This is a fun book to read during a science lesson/activity. It can be used to talk about the different plants that grow in a certain seasons. This book also talks about summer so have students come up with other plants that grow in the summer time.

It's an easy book to read, one that I would also read to teach students about patience. I would remind them that everything in life, just like plants, takes time.
Misty
Apr 10, 2011 Misty rated it liked it
Shelves: l-arts-help, patience
I could see students referencing this book during a writer's workshop. The way Kathi Appelt used her periods would be excellent for students to look at and discuss why they think she did it that way. This book is also perfect for talking about being patient. If you patiently wait then good things will come to you.
The Reading Countess
May 23, 2010 The Reading Countess rated it liked it
Shelves: youngest-boy
I checked this one out at our school library since I have loved her MG books. Youngest wasn't as receptive to this one as I thought. I wonder if he lacked the background knowledge?
Teri
May 31, 2012 Teri rated it liked it
OK--might be nice to go along with Little House on the Prairie--where some people thought fever and ague came from watermelons. Pa goes to get a watermelon as soon as the family is well.
Shauna
Feb 10, 2009 Shauna rated it it was amazing
My daughter (6) absolutely LOVES this story, especially the illustrations.
Lindsay
Jul 08, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
summer, watermelon, summer food, picnic
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Lisa Ramos
Lisa Ramos marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Khadija
Khadija marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Jj
Jj rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Brena
Brena rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Marzena Niznik
Marzena Niznik marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Theresa Van Cliff
Theresa Van Cliff rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Nikki WemadeIt
Nikki WemadeIt marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
RACHEL
RACHEL marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.

Two sons, both musicians.

Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.
More about Kathi Appelt...