Object of His Desire (Somerville Park, #1)

Object of His Desire (Somerville Park #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  916 ratings  ·  91 reviews
He thinks he’s just a wallflower. Little does he know he’s the guest of honor…

It’s the last night of a week-long house party in remote northern England. Every sensual delight imaginable is right at Henry Shaw’s fingertips. Yet all he wants is to be with his host, the deliciously handsome and enigmatic Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville. Henry’s certain it’s love, not mere i...more
Published March 10th 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Object of His Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Object of His Desire

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara AllenSnowball in Hell by Josh LanyonWhistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen
Best Gay Historical Romance
11th out of 434 books — 702 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFish & Chips by Abigail Roux
The Best of Gay Romance
245th out of 2,094 books — 2,132 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
Mar 17, 2009 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Male Erotic Romance Fans
Recommended to Daisiemae by: She wrote another favorite of mine...Bound by Deception...check
Ava March doesn't write fast enough. I was torn before I read this book. Part of me wanted to have it in my E-Files and tease myself with it being there to read (I always love the anticipation of reading a book), or buying it and reading it immediately because I felt like it's been FOREVER since I read an Ava March book! Honestly, I held out a couple of days, and that felt like forever, I am glad I put myself out of my misery and read it;)

Henry Shaw can't say no to Arsen Grey, the Marquis of Som...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.25 stars**

This was my first M/M historical and I find that I don't have much to say about it, hence my middle of the road rating. I didn't feel the love between the two men and, as I often feel with novellas, I felt like the author was trying to TELL the reader how to feel instead of letting them get to the conclusions themselves. Make sense? I felt rushed into their romance, which was lacking for me. The sex scenes were smoking, and I have a thing for super tall guys (Henry) so I added 1/2...more
Brenda (b)
May 14, 2009 Brenda (b) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brenda (b) by: Daisiemae
Shelves: m-m, 1-ebooks, 2-2009-read
My first read by Ava March and I loved it. It was a sweet short story. I really liked both characters, but I think I liked Henry just a bit more than Arsen. Henry was very mindful of the rules of society and while he wanted a relationship with Arsen, he was willing settle for whatever brief time he could spend in his company. I liked how they were both able to get past that little bit of pride that reared up and could have ruined everything the morning after.
Amanda
Ava March is one of the few historical authors whose work I can read and enjoy. This is mainly because her stories are rich in detail, without being bogged down by page after page of historical intricacies that aren't germane to the plot.

Object Of His Desire is yet another fabulous example of how well this author can suck the reader in from page one and hold them captive. At 94 pages, I read this in one sitting. It was concise, erotic, and packed a nice angsty punch. I highly recommend it.
Vilda
Re-read: December 6, 2013
First read: January 3, 2011

Still loved this shorty!
Men in period costume, servants and really lovely bedroom furniture. Historical pron, noice!

I have decided recently that I have a huge jones for unrequited, best bud love. I am addicted and this book fit the bill perfectly. Henry has much longing for his friend Arsen, but does not want to jeopardize their friendship by putting the moves on. Arsen was gorgeous and had a very commanding presence. Henry was sweet, big and well muscled and would be perfect as a burly footman in a James Lear novel. h...more
Matimate
Here it is another historical gay novel, which made my train trip shorter and more pleasant. Year 1821 was not very friendly for the same gender couples, but things could run smoothly if discreet enough. The ton on the first glance so modest and full of morality, but behind that mask was something more sensual and orgies were running freely. No, this book is not about huge gay gang bang in the historic costumes. Henry Shaw had unfortunate experience with his exlover, that man was pain and their...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
SueM
Nov 01, 2011 SueM rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to SueM by: Sammy Goode
3.5 stars (almost 4, except the inaccuracies - common, yet unfortunately widely accepted -during the sex scenes irritated me)
A good M/M historical romance (possibly Regency) that had a little bit angst, a little bit of hot sex, and good characterization for such a short novel. Definitely a quick read but worthwhile!
Elisa Rolle
Ava March is a new author for me, but I heard about her work in the past; she is an historical romance writer with the bonus that she writes man on man relationship, so she brings together two things I love so much. So when I saw that there was a new historical novella by her, of course I launched myself on it. And I'm not disappointed! I usually tag as "breeches rippers" all those stories where men dressed in thos frilly but so beautiful garments, and if one of the men proceeds to "rip" them of...more
Chris
Good m/m Regency romance (I'll give you a minute to recover) about a young man who's been at a debauched house party for a week. He hasn't participated because he's been pining for the lord who's hosting the party. Alas, he knows his affections won't be returned, as the lord is ostensibly using the week to audition for his next mistress...
Harper
Short and sweet. Hot sex, likeable characters. I only wish it had been longer. I am a diehard fan of historical romance, especially when the whole unrequited love plotline is involved. And, of course, as long as I get my happy ending. Definitely enjoyed this enough to want to read more by Ava March!

Missy Welsh
This was a very sweet read. Henry made my heart clench, the poor dear. He was so in love with Arsen and so certain it would be unrequited despite a steamy evening. A lovely little tale to round out the day and give me warm, tingly dreams last night. Thanks, Ava, for another great one!
~~Still Dani ♥ skulls, ♂♂ smut & semi-colons~~

Enjoyable but too short and thus undeveloped. The free sequel is a must-read with this one.
Jayhjay
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay.

Henry Shaw is visiting the country home of Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville, for one of his famous house parties. Henry has no real interest in the wild debauchery, but he can't resist the chance to spend time with Arsen. Henry lusts after Arsen but has no expectations of a future together. Arsen is well known for his mistresses and it is commonly accepted that this party is a chance for him to pick the next one. So Henry is quite sur...more
Maria
This book has some very hot sex scenes in it but it annoyed me that the author wanted us believe that the characters were in love rather than in lust. This short book is one sexy romp after another and then Arsen somehow 'instinctively knows' that Henry 'has captured his heart'. The characters are likeable but not developed nearly enough for a convincing love story. They barely even know each other. Also, considering there is much talk of the older hero's 'splendid arse', calling him Arsen is ra...more
Tonileg
Historical M/M romance with a younger 'wallflower' but large and tall in stature with a more mature titled rich gentleman. They are very careful to not show that they prefer men, as it is illegal at the time, but Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville is a bit too good at it because Mr. Henry Shaw thinks he has no chance with the ladies' man.
It was dangerous at that time to be anything that wasn't 'normal' so this story makes a lot of sense. I just finished Ms. Ava March's other historical M/M romanc...more
Charly
Romance felt a bit lopsided to me

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- This author excels at historical works. The settings are rich and detailed, and the language is elegant and (at least to my eyes) contains few or no historical inaccuracies.
- I loved the play back and forth between the two men: the fight for dominance as well as the easing of tension when they’re alone, especially considering how properly they both behave in public.

CONS:
- T...more
Ryoma Gartre
Another awesome book, the chemistry between both main characters is awesome, both characters are strong in their own right, and it felt real, because of that, no one rescues the other, both of them encounter and fall for the other.

I'm really quickly becoming an Ava March fan, so far i haven't found a chick with dick, both main characters are men and think/act like it and nothing else.
Beck
This is a typical Ava March ... enough period language to transport you back in time ... lovely, arrogant hero with the more inexperienced, lower class lover ... as long as you ignore the reality of what their hygiene was like, you can enjoy the story ... think too hard about rimming a bum that hasn't been bathed for months & you're more likely to turn green than be titillated.
Debra Strattford
Henry and Arsen are a cute couple. I like them very much! The next book please ;)
Alyosha
Very good, quick, sexy and sweet read about two English gentlemen. Henry Shawn is hopelessly in love with his friend, Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville. Henry is sure his love is and will remain unrequited. Arsen, well, he has plans of his own.

Drew
I really loved this book a lot! I love it when the "wallflower" or Nice guy finishes first theme, and Object of His Desire delievered that in spades! Can't wait to read more from this author.
S.J.D. Peterson
Truly enjoyed this book. I love floating back in time and peeking in behind the closed doors of the prim and proper.
Sandy
Mar 11, 2009 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: m/m fans
Recommended to Sandy by: I like the author
4.5 but I will bump it up to 5. The sex between Henry and Arsen was fabulous.
Dina
4 1/2 stars (rounded up to 5 stars because I adored Henry)
Trix
This Regency book had a little twist compared to the other books I've read by this author.

(view spoiler)...more
Lily
Henry Shaw has spent a miserable week as a guest of Arsen Grey, the Marquis of Somerville, at his country estate. It's been a week of sexual partying but Henry, who is in love with the Marquis, is wishing he'd never come rather than see the man he wants for himself with someone else. On his last night there, Arsen surprises Henry by taking him to his bedroom and before the night is over Arsen is showing Henry just who he's really interested in.

I really enjoyed this well written historical novell...more
Kassa
There is something about Ava March’s writing that I really enjoy. Perhaps it’s her ability to draw you into the scene and setting quickly with likable characters and highly erotic sex. Her writing stands above those who write other shortened stories involving mostly sex and little plot. There are so many elements presented with the capability of extending the story and truly elevating it to wonderful status and no doubt the author has the writing ability and creativity to do it. So I am somewhat...more
Kukko
Main Characters: Henry Shaw & Arsen Grey, Marquis of Somerville
Key Themes: In the Closet
Location: Durham, England

I really enjoyed this erotic short story.

The story starts on the last night of the annual week of debauchery, at the country estate of Arsen, a marquis. Arsen is 35 years old, a leader (albeit of the debauched), rich, sophisticated, and perfect. Henry, is the rugged and muscular third son of a country gentleman".

Sadly, despite having been personally invited to the party, Henry h...more
  • Seducing Stephen
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Beyond the Norm
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • Angel's Evolution
  • An Improper Holiday
  • Captain's Surrender
  • A Realistic Romance
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Second Sight
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • In Bear Country
  • Precious Ache
1978003
Ava March is an author of sexy, emotionally intense M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors. With over fifteen works to her credit, her books have been finalists in the Rainbow Awards and More Than Magic contest, and deemed ‘must-haves’ for Historical M/M romanc...more
More about Ava March...
Bound by Deception (Bound, #1) Bound to Him (Bound, #2) Thief (Brook Street, #1) His Client (His Client, #1) Bound Forever (Bound, #3)