Start by marking “Stone And The Maiden Mm” as Want to Read:
Stone And The Maiden  Mm

Stone And The Maiden Mm (The House of the Pandragore #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Dennis Jones is a brilliant new voice in fantasy fiction. The Stone and the Maiden, his first foray into the genre, has been enthusiastically received in Canada and the US, and readers of this first book in The House of the Pandragore trilogy can’t wait for the next instalment.

It’s easy to see why: The Stone and the Maiden is a spellbinding tale of peril, passion, sorcery
Published August 7th 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 29th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stone And The Maiden Mm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone And The Maiden Mm

Zelly B.
I ... I hesitate to give it a 5-star rating, and put it into my favourites shelf.

But, there you have it.

I first read this book ... maybe a year after it'd come out, a random find in the public library, and I absolutely loved it. I was really young and impressionable, and I was finding my own footing as a fantasy writer, and this book kind of made me really, really happy.

Then I bought a copy for myself a few years later, reread it, and gasped in horror at my taste.

It is a decent story, if wholly
theduckthief
"Theatana's palms were damp with suppressed excitement. She folded her arms, and with her fingertips stroked the brocading of her cloth-of-silver sleeves. Below the window where she stood, the small paved rectangle of the Penitential Yard lay cold and gray in the dawn. The courtyard was deep in the oldest part of the Numera, next to the prison beneath the Bucelon Ravelin, and in the courtyard's center stood a double gallows."

A horde of barbarians are invading The Ascendancy, an ages old kingdom
Renée Yoxon
I read this when I was 15 because someone told me there was a sex scene in it. I was deeply disappointed by the mere paragraph of sex and was left with the feeling (which unfortunately foreshadowed much if my teenage sex life) "is that it?"

I'm sure I'd like this if I reread it now but there you have it.
Natalie
This is a great book. The writing is not always as tight as it could be, but the plot is exciting and cohesive, the characters are fun to follow, and the world is so richly and perfectly imagined that it makes up for almost everything else. Several cuts above bodice-ripper fantasy (you know, the shirtless guy and the dragon and the swooning damsel). Only criticisms: a) the romantic tension is well-done and properly understated, but its eventual replacement does not live up to its predecessor (e. ...more
Lyssa
Nov 01, 2012 Lyssa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of David Eddings
Shelves: fantasy
This book was a classic "epic" fantasy. It had lots of adventure, angst, and magical elements. A great amount of fictional history (which is always enjoyable, if you ask me), and a good promise of a sequel. Obviously a first novel, with several cliches and some "easy" transitions, but overall, a good book.
Lindy
I enjoyed this book very much. It's straightforward fantasy with evil magical sorcerers and black magic and kings and princesses. A little predictable but fun nonetheless. If you're looking for a talented author tackle straight up fantasy this is a great book. I especially enjoyed Jones' writing style.
Oscar
My first fantasy book that wasn't written for a younger age group. I absolutely adore it, and have a lot of nostalgia for it.
Janette
Meh. I enjoyed it, but it was a fairly stereotypical fantasy tale.
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Barbara Senden
Barbara Senden marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Martin Osterman
Martin Osterman marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
boookwyrm
boookwyrm marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
LadyRose
LadyRose marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Shaina
Shaina marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Lyndakf
Lyndakf marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Lyndakf
Lyndakf marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
W.A.
W.A. added it
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
More about Dennis Jones...

The House of the Pandragore (2 books)
  • The Mask and the Sorceress (The House of the Pandragore, #2)
The Mask and the Sorceress (The House of the Pandragore, #2) Rubicon One Russian Spring Barbarossa Red Concerto