Start by marking “The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Viking (Viking I, #1)

The Reluctant Viking (Viking I #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,392 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
The hypnotic voice on the self-motivation tape was supposed to help Ruby Jordan solve her problems, not create new ones. Instead, she is swept from a hectic career and failing marriage back to an era of hard-bodied warriors and fair maidens. And the world ten centuries in the past isn't all mead and mirth, either!
Paperback, Love Spell: Timeswept #9, 448 pages
Published February 28th 1998 by Love Spell (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Viking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Viking

Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerA Knight in Shining Armor by Jude DeverauxBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie MoningA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
The Best Time-Travel Romance Novels
78th out of 634 books — 3,542 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells11/22/63 by Stephen KingTimeline by Michael Crichton
Best Time Travel Fiction
257th out of 1,235 books — 3,976 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy
Jun 11, 2010 Christy rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I didn't have high hopes for this book and I am still disappointed. I just wanted a bit of brain candy. This book seemed perfect: time travel, Vikings, lusty romance. What more could a girl want? Somehow, Hill failed to deliver on almost all counts. The lusty romance mostly delivered, but the Vikings were just jerks with weapons and the time travel was beyond stupid.

Like I said, though, I didn't expect much. I would've given it two or maybe two and a half stars for those qualities if it weren't
Kaori
Nov 22, 2010 Kaori rated it did not like it
Since I can't give it half a star, I went with the lowest star possible...

Unfortunately, I didn't finish this book. I borrowed it from a friend who raved about it saying: "So funny, I laughed practically the whole time!" or "I wouldn't mind going back to the Viking era and be ravished by them" or "Hunka-hunka!"

After pushing myself to read at least the first 12 chapters (well sometimes the beginning of books are slow then the pace picks up mid-way...) all I could say was that that's time that I w
Karry
Feb 03, 2012 Karry rated it it was amazing
People that read this book need to keep in mind that Vikings and the time of the Viking was not all women's lib, and puppy dogs and rainbows! There were wars all the time, the men COULD NOT show weakness or else they (and all they loved and cherished) were dead and burned to the ground! The point to this book was to remember what is really and truly important before it's gone! You might not get a second chance. That being said I thought this was a Great book! Funny, quick witted, and sexy! I li ...more
Yodamom

This modern day woman's husband leaves her and she wakes up in Viking central in the 790's where there is a Viking who looks just like her husband and he has two illegitimate children that look just like hers. So what does she do ? She tells him she is his wife and those are their kids, even when they threaten her death. Ok it does't stop there, she goes on to tall all the village the evil king and stubbornly breaks rules insisting she can because she is his wife. WTH ? She knows this isn't him
Dinna Ken
Jun 15, 2014 Dinna Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-copy

5 killer-viking stars!!

Why oh why have I been putting reading these books off for oh so long!?

One of the best books I've read! This included time-travelling and I was definitely on for one heck of a ride!! And this will not end like you expect.. no, sirree!!

description

Time-travel Romance is one of my favorite genres.. and, more so, this is not your typical time-travel novels.

I felt more with it. I kept predicting things to come; and be surprised at almost every turn!

My Jack/ Thork

Yeah, baby, I know you're
Beth F.
This was bad. And it wasn’t even funny haha bad. It was just bad bad.

Jack Jordan, Ruby Jordan’s husband of 20 years has just walked out on her. Feeling overwhelmed, she sits down to listen to one of the motivational tapes her husband often listens to for work and she falls asleep. When she wakes up she discovers that she’s been transported back in time from 1994 to a Viking encampment in the year 925. She’s obviously surprised but pleased to discover that her backwards journey through time has
Slayermel
Feb 05, 2012 Slayermel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good romance
This book made me laugh out loud so many times I lost track. The characters are likeable and Ruby the lead female is just a crazy mess, which makes her so endearing. You find yourself relating to her and her desperation to try anything to keep her life together.

Ruby is your typical 21st century business woman who started up her own lingerie company and is trying to juggle marriage, children and work. However she finds that her marriage is falling apart and does not realize how bad it is until he
Alexandra
Mar 04, 2016 Alexandra rated it it was ok
Mungkin aku salah urutan baca buku ini setelah buku 2 nya yang lebih menohok.
Problem utamaku dengan buku ini adalah :

- tidak bisa menjalin koneksi kuat dengan karaktet hero utamanya yang bak paku payung dan heroine utamanya yang tampak depresi mengejar-ngejar. Satu-satunya poin yang kusuka dalam buku ini adalah kreatifitas Ruby dalam menciptakan segala benda-benda ajaib di abad 10.
- konfliknya super remeh temeh dan aneh
- ending anti klimaks dan super penyebalkan
Iris
*Deep Sigh* Wow! What a story! I’m still bewildered. Everything fit, everything was as it should be! I grumbled a bit about male chauvinistic pigs during the story, but sadly it’s normal for that time, although reading this book opened my eyes. I always thought woman didn’t have any rights during the Dark Ages. This book proved me wrong! I didn’t know Viking women could be self independent. And the male Vikings were not always the barbarians I thought them to be. They got their own rules and wer ...more
Misti
I almost always read romance novels exclusively for the hilarity I find in lines such as "Thork's lips brushed her eyes shut and swept like a whisper across her cheek, to the edge of her lips, then teasingly away toward her ear. The wet tip of his tongue traced its narrow whorls then delved inside. In and out it plunged until Ruby arched against him, unable to stand the intense pleasure he had set throbbing in her center."

This is one of Sandra Hill's bizarre fascinations: ear sex? I'm on the San
Keisha
Jun 16, 2016 Keisha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The idea of time travel was really intriguing but the main heroine ruined it.
She whines and acts immature the entire story.
I have no choice but to put the book down half way through.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
PHENOMENAL start to a GREAT, WICKED AWESOME, SO-GOOD-I'M-IN-LOVEEEEE, series. This book made me fall in love with cave-men hahahahhh I love Sandra Hill's Viking series to death!!!! Actually, any book by her is satisfactory and gorge-worthy! This was a superb read, I loved Ruby and Thork and wish wish wished there was more of them. If there was a sequel with just the two of them again I would happily, greedily, giddily swallow it up with relish! KYAHHHHHHHHHHHXD I've read this book numerous times ...more
Robin Rousu
Jun 04, 2014 Robin Rousu rated it did not like it
I am rather peeved at whomever recommended this to me. Notably awful. Even for a viking time travel romance novel. The love interest is a viking version of her estranged dorkface husband whose tender wittle ego was damaged when they had to use her salary to pay the bills. The heroine is irritating, the hero is a jackass, and the book is as bad and as dated as the cover art. Bonus: Unpleasantly violent! Not recommended.
Ashley
Anna
Feb 09, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
This is not typically a book I would have picked for myself to read. One of my coworkers enjoyed it and lent it to me to read. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by this book, I did find it a little wordy. There are times when you are reading this story and you mind wonders off because of what they are talking about is boring or doesn't not directly effect the main character. Other then that I did enjoy the read it makes you wonder if soulmates exist!
Lizzy
Nov 16, 2015 Lizzy rated it it was ok
I sometimes enjoy time travel romance. By all means, you cannot expect them to be what they don’t pretend to be. Besides Outlander, that is exceptional. Furthermore, there are better and worse plots and The Reluctant Viking is not particularly good. I enjoyed better Sandra Hill’s Viking II series, when Vikings come to the future and meet Navy Seals. Creative, entertaining and fun for a light reading.
Jul 22, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Feb 25, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Kinda drug on a wee bit and honestly i wanted to slap both of them at one point or another. Overall enjoyable read with an unexpected ending.
ValerieC
Sep 30, 2012 ValerieC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I gave this book a 2 star rating simply because I could force myself to finish it. :-(

I liked many of the secondary characters, but I didn't like Thork, and I liked Ruby even less. I am not a big fan of adultery, and that's simply what this was on Ruby's part, no matter how else someone wants to paint the siuation (even if it was a dream).

Additionally, she gave little thought to her kids that were 'left' to her knowledge in the future.

The secondary characters were mostly likeable, so that got a
Mahareni Sukadi
Ampun daaaaahh...si Ruby ni cengeng banget seeeeeehh!! Masa dikit-dikit nangis, dikit-dikit mewek. Gak terhitung berapa kali nemuin kata-kata berikut : "...air matanya tergenang...", "...matanya digenangi air mata...", "...air mata mengalir deras...", "...terisak-isak...", bla bla bla. Padahal dia kan berasal dari masa depan, punya senjata berupa pengetahuan yang gak dimiliki orang-orang paiking itu. Ini malah bentar-bentar mo nangis.

Berkali-kali ditolak Thork pun, masih juga ngejar-ngejar. Iya
Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002"
I am so glad I took the time to finish this book. I put it down a few times because the time travel element seemed a little unbelievable. Sandra Hill also updated many of the pop-culture references in this book when she revised it in 2011 and I have to say that was completely unnecessary. It seemed odd that the references were updated, but some of the song references continued to be dated. I would've been fine with dated across the board.

...on to the story portion. The story basically follows Ru
Zury
Oct 18, 2011 Zury rated it really liked it
At first, I wasn't sure how to feel about this book. I felt like smashing it against the wall a few times when Thork was being a "Dork" with Ruby. But the more I read, the more I loved the story. The end was a big surprise since you don't expect the good guys to die, but we still got our happy ending. Sandra Hill is a fantastic writer, I love her humor while she brings us facts as close to the truth as you can get!
Kendra
I'm so glad I've read some of her other books, because this one, quite frankly, sucked. The whole anti-strong accomplished woman because women need to bow down and kiss the asses of their manly overlords was such crap.

The other books by her, that I've read are fun and pretty good. This one, not so much!
Tutti Dolci
Mar 27, 2013 Tutti Dolci rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, historical, viking
Enjoyable, sexy, bittersweet, and funny. Didn't care for all the 80's references, but then again, it IS an 80's story. Still, would I recommend it? Yes. Especially if you love Vikings (I do! I do!), time travel, and not-so-perfect romance.

3.5 stars.
Yuki
Dec 02, 2010 Yuki rated it really liked it
I have looked and read many viking romance books, but Sandra hill has hit the spot when writing them! I love her viking romance books, they are one of the bests reads i have had.
Miraphora
Letture Revival pt.2. Della serie 'quello che ho letto anni fa e che voglio riprendere da capo'. Perché mi piace rispolverare i romanzi - o quelle serie - che mi hanno lasciato un bel ricordo. No, non ho tempo libero e sì, ho tantissimi romanzi nuovi da leggere ma a voi non capita mai di sentire il bisogno di percorrere strade conosciute e sicure? A me spesso viene voglia di rileggere una storia, soprattutto quando cerco un elemento che non c'è tra le novità del periodo.

In un momento di follia v
Ayemorena
Jun 09, 2014 Ayemorena rated it really liked it
This was my first SH book, and it had me at hello. I fell IN LOVE with Selik in this story! He was so very angry and tormented and beautifully scarred, all together, I found him mesmerizing.

As for the main storyline involving Thork/Ruby/Jack, the story was rough going in. The time-travel/dream direction in the beginning took me a bit of a mental struggle to buy into, but I was already absorbed into the main charcter, Ruby, with all her angst, regret, and wishful thinking, I was encouraged to rea
Gisele
Dec 26, 2013 Gisele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Comencé leyendo este libro porque lo habían recomendado en un club de lectura el cual sigo, ya que según opiniones era un libro bonito, lleno de romance y sentido de humor...

description

El Vikingo Reacio es una novela de viaje en el tiempo, en el cual su protagonista Ruby esta decidida a salvar su matrimonio y viaja en el tiempo gracias a una cinta de autoayuda (seriously?) a la era vikinga, en la cual se encuentra a su marido, años más joven, en una sociedad totalmente distinta, siendo un guerrero vikingo
Cogito_ergo_sum
Mar 16, 2016 Cogito_ergo_sum rated it did not like it
Sandra hill. Viking I #01

1.5 stars.

This is my first Viking fantasy novel and I have to say that I’m not impressed. I’ve read Highlander books (by Karen Marie Moning), and, there, the time travel was believable and explained in such a way that it fit the world building.

Here, the author did nothing to explain how the time travel was possible. I didn’t find it credible, but I tried to ignore it in order to attempt to enjoy the story.

Sadly, the story wasn’t that good. The romance was forced. The Vik
Marie
Dec 28, 2015 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: h-r, 2015
Bintang 3

SATU cinta, cinta Ruby pada belahan jiwanya.
DUA masa, antara masa lalu dan masa depan ataukah antara kenyataan dan impian.
TIGA hati, hatinya Ruby dan 2 orang pria dari dua masa yg berbeda.

Ruby Jordan, type wanita modern masa kini yg mandiri dan memiliki karier. Pernikahannya dgn Jack terancam perceraian entah apa sebabnya (Ruby saja tak tahu apa yg menyebabkan pria yg mencintai dan dicintainya berubah dan ingin berpisah. Tapi Ruby tak ingin berpisah dari Jack sehingga dengan anehnya dan
  • Highland Fling (Highland Dream, #2)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Silver Flame (Braddock-Black, #2)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Miranda's Viking (Shayne's Supernaturals, #3)
  • Timeless Passion
  • The More I See You (de Piaget, #7; de Piaget/MacLeod, #6)
  • Of Darkness and Crowns (Goddess Wars, #2)
  • The Pleasure Master
  • Mona Lisa Eclipsing  (Monère: Children of the Moon, #5)
  • Enslaved
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Red-Hot and Royal

Sandra Hill is a graduate of Penn State and worked for more than 10 years as a features writer and education editor for publications in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Writing about serious issues taught her the merits of seeking the lighter side of even the darkest stories. Sh
More about Sandra Hill...

Viking I (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Outlaw Viking (Viking I, #2)
  • The Tarnished Lady (Viking I, #3)
  • The Bewitched Viking (Viking  I, #4)
  • The Blue Viking (Viking I, #5)
  • My Fair Viking (Viking I, #6)
  • A Tale of Two Vikings (Viking I, #7)
  • Viking in Love (Viking I, #8)
  • The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)
  • The Norse King's Daughter (Viking I, #10)
  • The Pirate Bride (Viking I, #11)

“laugh uproariously. Dar and Aud looked back to see what” 0 likes