Start by marking “Special Forces: A Guided Tour of U.S. Army Special Forces” as Want to Read:
Special Forces: A Guided Tour of U.S. Army Special Forces

Special Forces: A Guided Tour of U.S. Army Special Forces (Guided Tour)

They are sent to the world's hot spots-on covert missions fraught with danger. They are called on to perform at the peak of their physical and mental capabilities, primed for combat and surveillance, yet ready to pitch in with disaster relief operations. They are the Army's Special Forces Groups. Now follow Tom Clancy as he delves into the training and tools, missions and ...more
Published February 1st 2001 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Special Forces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Special Forces

BoekenTrol
Sep 28, 2011 BoekenTrol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love armed forces, details about it and Tom Clancy
I bought this book because I wanted to learn more about the special forces: what they are, how they practise, where they are deployd. But the text in which these facts were presented was, like they say here, very, very dry. And that was the reason that I did not get past page 100. I usually give a book 100 pages. If it doesn't get me or annoys me, I leave it.
I left it with a sense of disappointmet, because I would have liked to learn some more about this part of the armed forces.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
This is a very thorough description of a misunderstood function of the U.S. military. Clancy shares the history, the typical functions, and, especially, the people who have made it happen. He includes a "mini-novel" at the end to describe their role at its best and to convey why we need it. It changed my opinion, somewhat, that our deployment to so many nations isn't as bad as I thought, but it didn't convince me we need to be the world's policeman. At least the role of Special Forces in other ...more
Alex
Feb 13, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: military, non-fiction
I've never served in the military, so I read this as an outsider looking for some inside knowledge. Some parts are quite interesting; other parts read like a textbook. I enjoyed the interview with Gen. Hugh Shelton and the descriptions of military equipment, but the discussion of the chain of command was dull. I found that the training exercises described in the book were actually more interesting to read about than actual engagements.
David Ward
Jan 22, 2016 David Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: military, non-fiction
Special Forces: A Guided Tour of US Army Special Forces by Tom Clancy and John Gresham (Berkeley Publishing 2001)(356.167). This is nonfiction Tom Clancy as he takes readers behind the scenes into the special operative training that is the special forces collectively. The training, tactics, goals, and history receives special emphasis. My rating: 7/10, finished 2005.
M.G.
Mar 08, 2014 M.G. rated it liked it
Enjoyed the detail in the training and types of missions associated with America's Special Forces, but I didn't care much for the mini-novel at the end. Nonetheless, Clancy's contribution to informing readers about the world's freedom fighters will be missed. RIP, Tom.
Ó Ruairc
May 02, 2016 Ó Ruairc rated it really liked it
A fine, well-researched book by Clancy. He includes many intrinsic details about the U.S. Army's Special Forces - perhaps too many details for the casual reader. Unless you have a familiarity with Clancy's subject, you may find this book overwhelming.
Laela
Mar 24, 2014 Laela rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
I very dry read. The technology portions of this book are probably very out dated. A good book for a basic understanding of Special Forces.
Christian
Oct 25, 2009 Christian rated it it was ok
Pretty mediocre for my taste. It gives a fairly superficial look at the Special Forces organization in the 1990's. Pretty good for the armchair sergeant.
Rae
Oct 27, 2009 Rae rated it it was ok
Shadow Warriors looked at the history of the Special Forces. This book looks at Special Forces today. Still too much detail for me.
Hunter Aschenbrenner
This was a very good book. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the military or special forces and what they do.
Sozemeesh
Sozemeesh rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2015
Josh Chambers
Josh Chambers rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Roy Horton
Roy Horton rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Will
Will rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2012
Bhanuka Galhenege
Bhanuka Galhenege rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Andres Redondo
Andres Redondo rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Matt Barlowe
Matt Barlowe rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
J
J rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2007
Todd Wallentine
Todd Wallentine rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Michael Goodwin
Michael Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2011
Chris Fletcher
Chris Fletcher rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2016
Dennis Bollen
Dennis Bollen rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2012
Mary P. Coghlan
Mary P. Coghlan rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Michael Fokkens
Michael Fokkens rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Michael Mclendon
Michael Mclendon rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2009
  • Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces
  • Leaders
  • The Lion's Grave: Dispatches from Afghanistan
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Rickenbacker: An Autobiography
  • What We Saw: The Events of September 11, 2001--In Words, Pictures, and Video
  • The Great Race (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #7)
  • Zero Hour (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #7)
  • Gameprey (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #11)
  • Safe House (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers #10)
  • Bodyguard of Lies: The Extraordinary True Story Behind D-Day
  • 365 Days
  • The Archimedes Effect (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #10)
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of
More about Tom Clancy...

Guided Tour (7 books)
  • Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship (Guided Tour)
  • Armored Cav: A Guided Tour of an Armored Cavalry Regiment (Guided Tour)
  • Fighter Wing: A Guided Tour of an Air Force Combat Wing (Guided Tour)
  • Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit (Guided Tour)
  • Airborne: A Guided Tour Of An Airborne Task Force
  • Carrier: A Guided Tour of an Aircraft Carrier (Guided Tour)