Start by marking “The Second Messiah” as Want to Read:
The Second Messiah

The Second Messiah (The Hiram Key #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  24 reviews
s/t: Templars, The Turin Shroud and the Great Secret of Freemasonry
Is the Shroud of Turin genuine?

For almost seven and a half centuries a piece of cloth was venerated because it bore the image of the crucified Christ, but in 1988 results of carbon dating showed that the fabric could not pre-date 1260. Now new evidence conclusively proves that it is not a fake yet neither

Published August 1st 2001 by Fair Winds Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Messiah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Messiah

Erik Graff
May 13, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masons
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
The thesis of this book is that the Shroud of Turin bears the image of the executed Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques de Molay (d. 3/1314), not that of Jesus. They "prove" that it cannot be of Jesus because of carbon dating tests performed on it. They argue for its association to the Grand Master from a host of evidences, but not, I think, convincingly.
As regards the physical shroud itself, it may be traceable to the sacking of Constantinople by the crusaders in 1204 and it may have
Coenraad
A fascinating account of a wide-ranging investigation, following upon THE HIRAM KEY. The authors' finding are surely controversial and thought-provoking. The writing is compelling too, despite the feeling that a lot from the previous book is repeated. Closer comparison shows what is newly added, yet their point of view remains the same: present-day Christianity is not based upon the original teachings of Jesus, which is demonstrated by the ceremonies of the Freemasons.

Die skrywers sit hul studie
Eric
I'll have to go back and review the prequel to this book, "The Hiram Key". I read that before starting to do reviews here.

I should probably note that this review will be a *spoiler* to conclusions reached in the book and that if you want to be surprised by your read you should just go and read it because it is a really good book.

**********

It is probably also worth warning you that this book details the arrogant, maniacal, ruthless destruction of humanity in the interests of establishing a reli
Tamsin Ramone
I thought this was a thoroughly interesting book, well researched and well written. It is slightly frustrating how the writers tend to take hearsay and write it as fact even though it is unprovable. Still, a bloody good working hypothesis! Lomas and Knight are well worth reading, especially if you want to gain insight and perspective on the life of Jesus, on James the just, the shroud of Turin, the Templer Knights and the origins of freemasonry.
Marinus Uys
very good and easy read. Liked the hypotheses structure. The origins of the Christian church structure makes much more sense.
Heino Colyn
I loved the structure of the book as well as the individual chapters - each step of their investigative process is neatly defined, explored and concluded. The book encourages and promotes an open minded revisiting of the past. Definitely recommended if you have any interest in the Knights Templar, Freemasonry, the Turin Shroud or the origins of Christianity.
Laura Copeland
Great book about the Templar Knights and the Shroud of Turin, which in recent years has been revealed to *not* be Christ's burial shroud. This book explores the possibility of it being the burial shroud of Templar Grand Master, Jacques de Molay. For those who do not know, the Templar Knights are the origins of today's freemasonry...
Sarah Pangloss
Less than mediocre. But I will say that the cover is very enticing and well done. Personally, science (carbon dating) tells me that the Shroud could not possibly be tied to the crucifixion. I beleive, with most scholars, that the Shroud was a Medieval hoax.
Michael
This book goes hand in hand with the Hiram Key. It has a very plausible theory on the origin of the Shroud of Turin that I believe has been repressed by the Catholic church.........mgc
Andrea
Absolutely loved this book, shared it with my friends who equally found it fascinating. I love a book that makes you think, and this certainly does that.
One of my favourite books.
Victor
Complete and utter tripe. But, fun tripe. If you can find it for fiddy cents (and can tell the difference between history and hogwash) give it a shot.
Jim
What we leaned in The Hiram Key continues in this book as the authors dig deeper into the Templars and the Turin Shroud. Wow!
Bungo
Another fascinating read and pretty compelling alternative theory about who might lie behind the Turin Shroud.
Dick
Mar 28, 2009 Dick added it
This is the 2nd of a series of books by Chris Knight and Robert Lomas. This one is signed as well.
Heidi
Well crafted and thought provoking. It presents a different argument for the Shroud of Turin.
Brian Reagan
Poor scholarship and even worse logic make what could have been enjoyable a waste of time
Lee Anne
Supposed history of DeMolay, tying his supposed crucifixion with the Shroud of Turin.
Audrey
really well-researched and presented the information in an objective manner.
Duane
Wonderful book... started my journey to the light.
Damasio
Modernist pamphlet. Panfleto modernista.
Timothy
Jaque de Molay on the shroud? who's to say?
Rudy
This book changed my way of looking at history.
Renata
Extraordinary book!
Dominik
Dominik is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Nigel
Nigel added it
Nov 11, 2014
Keith Landro
Keith Landro marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • Rosslyn
  • The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • The Mayan Prophecies: Unlocking the Secrets of a Lost Civilization
Christopher Knight, born in 1950, has worked in marketing, advertising, and public relations. He joined the Freemasons in 1976 and grew interested in studying their rituals and history, which led to Knight writing the bestselling The Hiram Key. He has continued his study of rituals through time.

More about Christopher Knight...
The Hiram Key Uriel's Machine The Book of Hiram Who Built the Moon? Civilization One: The World Is Not as You Thought it Was