Start by marking “A Most Lamentable Comedy” as Want to Read:
A Most Lamentable Comedy

A Most Lamentable Comedy

High jinks, misunderstandings and conflicted passions - Regency rocks in the latest racy read from Janet Mullany

1822, England: Lady Caroline Elmhurst is twice-widowed, down on her luck and pursued by creditors. But she's optimistic about finding a new husband - or if necessary, a rich lover - and when she meets handsome, mysterious Nicholas Congrevance at a house-party in
Published July 23rd 2009 by Little Black Dress

To ask other readers questions about A Most Lamentable Comedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Most Lamentable Comedy

Confessions of an Air Hostess by Marisa MackleTruly Madly Yours by Rachel GibsonTangled up in You by Rachel GibsonGirl from Mars by Julie CohenIt Must Be Love by Rachel Gibson
Best Of The Little Black Dress Series
45th out of 105 books — 58 voters
The Duchess War by Courtney MilanThe Luckiest Lady in London by Sherry ThomasWhat a Dragon Should Know by G.A. AikenThe Black Hawk by Joanna BourneUnraveled by Courtney Milan
Heroine is a Schemer
25th out of 29 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Hazel
May 11, 2010 Hazel rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Don't recall who recommended this, and I had no idea it was a Little Black Dress book. I think that means it's supposed to be smart modern romance. We'll see.

Addendum. My comments to a friend who wanted more information.Spoilers!!

It's a regency romance where both the romantic leads are unusually disreputable types. She's ruined after 2 or 3 marriages, and now attaches herself to one protector after another. When the book opens she's climbing out of a window, dodging creditors. He's a 19th centur
Juliet Grey
Jul 01, 2011 Juliet Grey rated it it was amazing
Janet Mullany is one of my favorite authors. I happen to be a fan of voice-y fiction, and Janet's got style in spades. A MOST LAMENTABLE COMEDY is laugh-out-loud funny (as are all of Ms. Mullany's books that I have read to date). Best compliment I can give this novel is that I was so utterly engrossed in the story (and in laughing in the middle of a crowded bus) that I missed my stop while I was reading it. As a professional Shakespearean actress, I particularly enjoyed Ms. Mullany's clever ...more
Rose Lerner
Oct 25, 2013 Rose Lerner rated it it was amazing
I was utterly charmed by both the hero and the heroine and the natural, funny, alternating first-person narration. And the instinctive physical and emotional connection between the two of them was one of the most intense and convincing insta-lust plotlines I've read recently.
justscribbling
I picked this book up at random, skimmed the first chapter and put it back down again. It was a first person Regency that didn't quite read like a Regency, and I dismissed it. I picked it up again weeks later, again by random, because by then I had forgotten the cover (let's not even mention whether I took notice of the title or the author at this point) and skimmed through the first two chapters going "Huh, I think I've skimmed this before." I could have put it down again, but I was in ...more
Xtina Liyana
Feb 01, 2014 Xtina Liyana rated it liked it
Sara
Jan 19, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
A delightful, slyly lascivious read! With just enough genuine feeling to save it from farce and raise it above the genre. Oops, some extremely farcical behavior toward the very end... Delicious use of A Midsummer Night's Dream but this one really takes off when the long-lost half-brother reappears...
whose "Little Lambkin misses her Great Ram most sorely and longs once more to bury her hands in his fleece" etc. etc. etc.

Emily
May 09, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Hmmm... I guess I really quite enjoyed this book. Although the beginning was a bit slow and hard to get into, once you reach the middle it really is quite enjoying. There are many jokes and there is romance in every aspect of the book. If you enjoy shouting at a book and saying to the man 'you fool!' this is definitely the book for you. I'd recommend this to readers of historical romance.
Jay
Nov 04, 2013 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
As usual, it took a while to reacclimate myself to Mullany's writing style but once I did, I really enjoyed this. It makes me sad that this was the last of her regular regencies I had to read, as I don't particularly enjoy erotic fiction and I didn't love her version of Jane Austen (now with vampires!).
Sarah Anderson
Sep 08, 2009 Sarah Anderson rated it liked it
This was a fun little historical romance--with teeth. The characters were snarky, almost mean, fun, and surprisingly light on sap. However, the convoluted ending (involving a bear? Why?) was a bit too much. Otherwise, a nice read.
Courtney
Aug 08, 2010 Courtney added it
Shelves: didnt-finish
As much as I wanted to read this book, I just couldn't get into it. Im not really a fan of First Person POV in novels - and the fact that the character narration switched nearly every other page was just confusing.
Jane
May 09, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book by Mullany. I enjoy how she uses yet subverts the genre. The main characters have happy endings but there's many a funny twist before they get there. I don't understand why she's not more popular.
Chanpreet
Nov 28, 2011 Chanpreet rated it liked it
I liked the story in this book. It was quite unusual and slightly reminds me of Georgette Heyer. I did feel like I was reading a sequel, because there were hints to previous events, but I could not discover if that was the case. This book has humor and romance in just the right amounts.
Erica Anderson
While I like Janet Mullany's style, I didn't care for this book nearly as much as Rules of Gentility, which I highly recommend.
Acfilmer
Aug 09, 2011 Acfilmer rated it liked it
As far as regency novels go, not too bad. Had its moments, had a few funny points. Ending was quite predictable though.
Jackie
Jan 11, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Witty, charming, and laugh-out-loud funny. And with its first person present tense style, a stylistic breath of fresh air in the regency romance market.
Fab
Jun 15, 2012 Fab rated it it was ok
I normally love all of the Little Black Dress books.

Although I liked the characters the book seemed to lack something in my opinion.
Hamda
Hamda rated it it was ok
May 06, 2014
Dormiensa
Dormiensa rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2012
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Elizabeth Caskey
Elizabeth Caskey rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Katey
Katey rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2010
Madelyne
Madelyne rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Mallory
Mallory rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Margareth
Margareth rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Meghan
Dec 09, 2011 Meghan rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Annalies
Annalies rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2009
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Jan Western
Jan Western rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Heather Schneider
Heather Schneider rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Doctor: A Novel
  • A Little Folly
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
  • Everything Nice
  • Lady Vernon and Her Daughter
  • Love Is in the Heir (Featherton Sisters, #4)
  • Lost for Words
  • Animal Instincts
  • A Lily Among Thorns
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • If I Were You
  • The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #2)
  • The Balance Thing
  • Compromised
  • The Chalet Girl
  • Risky Business
  • The Bride And The Buccaneer
  • The Slightest Provocation
Janet Mullany was raised in England by half of an amateur string quartet and now lives near Washington, DC. Persecuted from an early age for reading too long in the bathroom, she still loves books and is an avid and eclectic reader. She has worked as an archaeologist, classical music radio announcer, arts publicist, and for a small press.

More about Janet Mullany...

“He has big hands too, I say, swigging cider. I should know. Big beautiful hands. I daresay big feet as well.
You mean that...? Philomena asks.
Fanny whispers in her ear, and she giggles.
I do find unclothed men interesting, I must admit.
Which one do you think has the best arse? I ask before I can stop myself.”
0 likes