Start by marking “Daughter of Kura: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Kura: A Novel

Daughter of Kura: A Novel

"At first, Snap was aware of a few background noises -- a baby cried, the fire crackled, one of the older children laughed. Eventually, the other sounds disappeared, and she heard only the ancient rhythm of the drums, the dancers' voices, and the sounds of her own feet as they beat a path to an unclear future."On the parched African earth more than half a million years ago ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Touchstone (first published July 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Kura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Kura

Benjamin Thomas
This novel depicts a tribe of ancient man (Homo Erectus) in Africa, in a village called Kura. It is a matriarchal society where the protagonist, a daughter in line to become leader someday, must chose a mate and deal with the resulting consequences for her and her village.

On the positive side, this novel is not just about survival. It looks at some less concrete concepts as well, including conflicting outlooks based on how one is raised, and also man's first thoughts of the concept of religion.
Yolo
Sep 07, 2010 Yolo rated it liked it
Find this review at www.notoriousspinkstalks.com

While browsing through the Simon & Schuster catalog I came across this book. After I read the synopsis above I knew I had to read it. I was drawn in by the mere fact that it was set in Africa more than half a million years ago and that it was set in a matriarchal society.

From the time I picked up the book I was drawn in by the characters. The characters are of the Homo erectus species so it allows the reader to use his imagination while readin
Katilyn
Jun 05, 2013 Katilyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
"Daughter of Kura" by Debra Austin is a book about family, love, war and growing up... 500,000 years ago. Snap lives in a matriarchal society of hunters and gatherers whose lives are governed by the seasons. She is the third most important female in her community. However, when her grandmother dies and her mother takes a mate who has strange, new ideas, Snap feels her way of life threatened. Her own mate nowhere to be found, Snap leaves the relative safety of her village. Will she make it in a ...more
Teri
Sep 02, 2009 Teri rated it really liked it
Once I picked up this book I could not put it down. I was pretty fascinated by the culture and people protrayed.
It is an easy to read story with an intriguing storyline and is written well. The story is fairly quick simple to read and digest.
I think the Author did a fantastic job researching pre-historic (and pre Homo-Sapien) life and then used that knowledge to create a working culture. A working culture that was not only believeable, right down to the type of communications used, but also int
Ana Mardoll
Feb 28, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it liked it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Mother of Kura / 978-1-439-11266-3

According to the dust jacket for "Daughter of Kura", author Debra Austin is an amateur writer with an avid interest in paleontology. As a result, "Daughter of Kura" is a mix of interesting paleontological ideas and factoids, a rather basic and thin-worn plot, and poor overall characterizations. As such, although this is a decent first attempt at a novel, I think the bulk of the book's happy readers will be interested due to the niche appeal of pre-history litera
Veronica Lindsey
Nov 25, 2016 Veronica Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Good novel about life .... and death in early Africa.
Donna
Feb 06, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
DAUGHTER OF KURA - Debra Austin; 2009 NY

BookDivas

“Daughter of Kura” by Debra Austin was a fabulous book to sit down with, in order to pass time in a winter snow storm. Set in a time period of about a half million years ago, “Daughter of Kura” tells the tale of Snap, a vibrant young woman in line for leadership of her tribe, the Kura.

In a culture where leadership is maternally set, Snap is now of age to pick a mate and is expected to do so at the Bonding ceremony in the fall. However, Snap is di
Megan
Jun 28, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I did not find the story here very compelling. I thought the author mainly wrote this book so that she could flesh out her speculations and ideas about how homo erectus might have lived. Most of the detailed scenes explain certain aspects of the society, like how Snap gives birth and how food is prepared. To me, the plot line was just fitted around these speculations to make it into a novel. It was interesting, sure, but really the style, I could take it or leave it. I almost wish the author had ...more
Renee
Daughter of Kura was a bit slow to get going--in fact, this was my second attempt at starting it. (My first attempt only got me a few pages in.) For at least the first third of the book things were okay, but the plot was still being set in motion. Then I suddenly realized I was hooked. I cared about Snap and Ash. I was angry at Bapoto and hurt by Whistle. I have no idea when the book went from "meh" to "MUST FINISH!!!" but it did.

The only critique I have is that the villain went from relatively
Jennannej
Feb 23, 2011 Jennannej rated it liked it
Snap is in line to be the Mother of her tribe, but that destiny is not what life has in store for her. It takes some guessing, but this book is set several thousand years ago in southern Africa and follows the lives of a tribe of people and more specifically the granddaughter of the current 'Mother' or chief of her tribe.

Newcomers to the tribe change thoughts about spirituality and lifestyle, and the conflict causes Snap to break out on her own.

One of the unique features of this novel is that
Beth
Sep 07, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
I have always loved imaginary stories about prehistoric people. This one is pretty good. It's about: a strong pre-human woman; takes place in Africa (where 1st people have been found); is a love story; entails a breakaway of one tribe to a new one because one man (not belonging to the Kura tribe) pushes a new religion but he is not a good person.

Although another reader liked the communication by hand signs instead of grunts or speech, I found it annoying that there wold be so many words descrigi
Kathleen Marasco
Apr 04, 2012 Kathleen Marasco rated it it was amazing
This book is set in southeastern Africa over half a million years ago. The lives of these people are simple, not worrying too much about the following year, but sustain each other daily with food and taking care of one another.

This is about the early life of humans and the struggles they do go through on a daily basis. This is a matriarchal society and they spoke in sign language, it just fascinated me! They only made sounds to express emotions. The characters were so developed and I thought I k
Jennifer Estep
Sep 08, 2015 Jennifer Estep rated it it was amazing
I love this book, Mostly because it is fiction mixed with real life. The story is very interesting we know little about Homo Erectus and what they may have done since it took place 500,000 years ago.
On to the Characters... I really like the characters especially,Stap and Ash, this book had good characters and a overall good theme. I think the action could have been a little faster in the book because it took a long time for action and drama to come into the book. I couldn't put the book down af
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: review-gr
A fairly easy read, this book will almost certainly appeal to those who enjoyed the Clan of the Cave Bear. The main character was likeable and the story plausible. I liked it better than the clan series.

Gratuitious sex scenes included but not as much nor as detailed as the Clan series had. The portrayal of an individual who preached single deity was very negative and may be offensive to some readers.

•In compliance with FTC guidelines, received the book for free through Barnes & Noble's First
Tara
Dec 18, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Lydia
Mar 15, 2011 Lydia rated it liked it
Didn't love it and don't know that I'd recommend it (sexual content). But it was a fast easy read. I liked the characters but didn't love the flow of the book. It's about a "pre-human" race in Africa with a matriarchal society. It dealt with a lot of modern issues. Definitely not on par with other prehistoric type books I've read... (went back and forth between a 2&3)
Linda
Feb 17, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok
Since two stars means it was "ok" that is what I went with. I think if this was labeled science fiction it might have given her more
leeway to expand the characters with possibilities the author didn't
feel comfortable giving. Anyway, not bad if you like that sort of
thing! It seemed the author had a point of view she wanted to
promote.
Linda
Jan 12, 2011 Linda rated it did not like it
I read several pages and tried to stick with it, but it just isn't "my thing" at all. I was afraid I'd feel this way about the book, as it is often compared to "The Clan of the Cave Bear" which I didn't enjoy. One of my book clubs selected it, so it will be interesting to see what others thought of it. I'm sticking with my motto, "Life is too short to read a book I don't enjoy."
Nick
Sep 20, 2011 Nick rated it liked it
I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could. Enjoyable, fascinating, and imaginative. I wish her afterward had explained more about both her research and her thinking, because there were questions raised by the book. For example, do we really know anything about gay sex among prehistoric pre-humans? But aside from that quibble, I would recommend this book. Here's hoping for a sequel.
Sandra Miller
Jun 30, 2013 Sandra Miller rated it liked it
Interesting in that it portrays what is an educated guess of how homo erectus lived, socialized and survived.

It was ok, an easy read, and not too long to lose interest.

I will use it for an ancient histories course, as a comparison of what we know and what is inferred or imagined. A study of historical fiction
Marcia
Oct 29, 2009 Marcia rated it really liked it
I was initially hesitant to read this book. I thought "oh, yeah, a Clan of the CaveBear thing". However, I actually ended up really liking this book. The last couple of chapters in particular where really engrossing.
Kathee
Feb 06, 2011 Kathee rated it liked it
Well-researched, enjoyable, not great writing. Easy reading, even beach reading, takes place about 500,000 years ago during the time of Homo Erectus and is reminiscent of Clan of the Cave Bear. La Canada author.
66yoguy
Feb 07, 2013 66yoguy rated it really liked it
A very good pre-history novel with interesting characters and a realistically believable story. I plan on reading Mother of Asili, Austin’s next account, the continuing story of Snap.
Lisa
Sep 06, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Clan of the Cave Bear
Shelves: 2011-books-read
I very much enjoyed this book and devoured in a couple days. Unusual storyline and well-written and I really liked it!
Kathryn
Sep 15, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
good story. Well done. I really look forward to the upcoming book Mother of Asili (due out 2010) Like most who read it, I had a hard time putting this book down.
Rosie
Jan 24, 2011 Rosie rated it it was amazing
Wonderful totally awesome book!! I laughed, I cried & every other emotion you can imagine, while reading this book. I absolutely LOVED it!!
Kathy
Jul 11, 2013 Kathy added it
I found this book completely entertaining and could not put it down. The whole content with the matriarchial system was enlightening.
Crystal
Oct 17, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it
I feel for Snap. She went through a lot to end up where she did. It was a good read and I would recommend it to anyone who would like a quick, engrossing read.
Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman
Dec 19, 2009 Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
excellent; not as deep and detailed as Jean Auel but very good and easier to read. set in SE Africa a half million years ago
Megan
Feb 11, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
Very thoughtful story of a woman and a people of ancient times. Some of the details didn't feel authentic, but overall I liked how it was done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Picture Maker
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • Lost Yesterday
  • Next Door Daddy (Mule Hollow, #7)
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
  • The Baby Chronicles
  • The Messiah
  • Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)
  • The Blessing Stone
  • Primavera
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • Once Smitten, Twice Shy (Wedding Veil Wishes, #2)
  • Masterpieces of Murder
  • Healing from Trauma: A Survivor's Guide to Understanding Your Symptoms and Reclaiming Your Life
  • A Man for Temperance (Wagon Wheel Series #2)