Start by marking “Naked in Dangerous Places: The Chronicles of a Hungry, Scared, Lost, Homesick, but Otherwise Perfectly Happy Traveler” as Want to Read:

Finally, after years as a struggling radio host, Cash Peters has been given his own TV adventure show on a big-time travel network. The idea is simple: “Let’s dump him in an unfamiliar culture in a faraway land with no money and no place to stay, and see what happens.”

Unfortunately, there is one major problem: Cash doesn’t want to go. Not only is he NOT the adventurous ty
Published April 21st 2009 by Broadway Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Naked in Dangerous Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked in Dangerous Places

Danielle
Sep 17, 2012 Danielle rated it it was ok
I didn't get too far into this before giving up. I think a few things would have made me enjoy it better:
1) Had I been able to hear the author's English accent. I'm sure that does a lot to sell his otherwise annoying personality.
2) Had a known who the author was. He may be very charming on the radio or tv, but I had never heard of him, so a book which was, essentially, all about him wasn't too interesting to me.
3) If he'd spent more time writing like a travel writer instead of like a self-aggra
Sylvia Hunter
Mar 12, 2014 Sylvia Hunter rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and well written with the skillful use of language I've come to associate with this author. This is the account of the making of the TV series in which the host is meant to appear lost in a foreign land without money or a place to stay and is thus reliant on the charity of the natives.
The schedule is very gruelling involving visiting thirty two countries in little over twelve months, taking cheap,round about flights.Not only was the author expected to host the show,but was responsible
Eris
Jul 24, 2009 Eris rated it it was ok
I started this one somewhat bemused and intrigued by the authors obvious candor. Agreeing to do a travel show on the premise of being "washed up" with no money or contacts (except the very obvious crew accompanying him) was bound to have some interesting moments... except, the man was an absolute weenie and refused to participate in the moments of adventure in most places he landed. WHY did he even agree to do the show if he knew he was so phobic and knew he had no interest in broadening his ...more
Karen Germain
Jan 20, 2010 Karen Germain rated it really liked it
This book is great if you are fan of traveling and reality television. Cash Peter's is the host of a travel show, that makes it look like he is stranded in a new local every episode. The locations range from the middle east to the small Danish town of Solvang, California. Peters must bond with the locals and get them invite him into their homes for food and shelter. Of course this is television, so the entire thing is set up from the start.

The show, which is never mentioned by name or network,
Joyce
Funny and unvarnished, this satisfying read recounts Peters' year he spent toiling to make a survival TV show for the Discovery Channel. From Kenya to Cambodia, Morocco to Dubai, he visits many fascinating cultures, eats and sleeps with them, and very nearly doesn't survive at all. This is the perfect short, pick-me-up read. It was only a matter of time until he branched out from his hilarious, public radio pieces.

Yoonmee
Jun 11, 2009 Yoonmee rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-writing
Cash Peters takes us on a hilarious trip around the world while filming a travel show. The book is a fun read taking us to several really interesting locales such as Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Solvang in California, and the island of Lesbos in Greece. It's also fun getting a behind the scenes of a travel show. Fun light read.
Xanthi
Aug 31, 2014 Xanthi rated it liked it
When I picked up this book, I had not heard of the author or his TV show. I chose to read it because it looked to be a humorous travel narrative and I like those. I have read a few reviews on this site, where people have grumbled about various aspects of this book. Amongst the complaints are that the author grumbles too much and is not willing to do some things, eat some things etc. Plus, there is too much talk about the show and the crew and not just on his travel experiences. Well, just ...more
Heather
Jul 28, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. The title of this book might lead you to think that this (nonfiction) piece is actually about the stories of a happy traveler, but it's not. This is a book that Cash Peters seems to have written in order to drag out his fifteen minutes of fame from his stint as a reality TV host to sixteen minutes.

What this is not: a travel story.

What this is: a tell-all musings of a travel radio host who somehow, magically, ends up pitching the premise of a reality TV show (completely co
Moira
May 11, 2016 Moira rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I was hooked by the title, and then turned off by what it turned out to be: about a reality TV show set in "primitive" places. I find those types of shows incredibly offensive - wealthy people go to a place and act out a big game while the people living there are in difficult circumstances - struggling with real issues like access to food, water, electricity, sewage, education, health care, crime, political corruption, overcrowding, working multiple jobs...I could go on but you get the idea.
The
Heather
Sep 29, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
I'm a big Cash Peters fan having watched the show this book is based on, but after reading this (and his blog) I'm starting to feel like he's a little bit of a complainer and part of his problems might have to do with how he plays into them.

Not that the book wasn't funny, it was. Not that it wasn't better than his last travel book, it was as well. But the sort of easily shocked and discomfited thing he has that made the show (Stranded) so funny is probably what also strained his relationships a
Karen
Dec 30, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
It was OK, it could have been really funny, actually it should have been really funny. But it wasn't. It was just OK. I'm not sure why. What a great title, but what lame follow through.

Anyway, Cash travels the world and pioneers the idea of a stranded traveler in a remote location. This was before Survivorman and others shows of the same ilk. He talks about the reality of filming a series and all the odd things they do but sadly Cash Peters himself comes off as kind of a whiny jerk. It's odd, I
Bill Ward
Jul 23, 2010 Bill Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
From the cover and blurb I was expecting more of an adventure travel memoir, but it turned out to be more of a Hollywood tell-all snarkfest. It's all about his experiences filming a reality TV show for the Travel Channel, which is still interesting in a behind-the-scenes sort of way, but I do feel a bit bait-and-switched. I wonder if he'll ever work in TV again or if he burned too many bridges with this book - but then, I think Hollywood has a tendency to forgive and forget if they think they ...more
Beth
Jan 27, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
I got about a hundred pages into this real-life glimpse into a short-lived reality-TV travel series, then skimmed to the end - it was a lot of the same thing in different locations, with little insight or growth along the way: Non-nature boy is thrust into survivor like situations, with some degree of scripting. It was an interesting look at how reality TV shows are put together, at the very least. The footnotes were the funniest and most interesting part of the book. At the end, Peters is asked ...more
Jon Miner
May 12, 2012 Jon Miner rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how it's a "snarky Hollywood tell-all" when no names are used.. Seems to me that it's more a "humorous inside look at a 'reality' TV show and the surrounding chaos."

Not quite as funny as "The Sex Lives of Cannibals," it's a humorous look at life on the road with "reality" TV in out-of-the-way places. It's not a documentary and probably not quite entirely true, but it's a humorous memoir, not a research paper.

Overall a good summer vacation read, especially if you're in to travel and
William Berry
May 23, 2011 William Berry rated it did not like it
Every year for Christmas my sister gets me a funny travelogue book such as this one. Unfortunately unlike the others I have read the past few years, the narrator here comes across as quite unlikeable. I had no idea who Cash Peters was before I read this book but coming out of it I discovered that our humble guide was nothing more than a whiny dullard. (Which may be his shtick?) There are a few interesting anecdotes and stories here and there but nothing really worth spending your time on. There ...more
Catherine
Jun 01, 2009 Catherine rated it liked it
I like hearing Peters' NPR pieces and I also enjoyed the TV show--the making of is the subject of this book.

Peters is a bit persnickety and eccentric but also has a great sense of humor. I could hear the timbre in his voice throughout the book, which helped me to connect with many of his stories.

I found some of the chapters a bit overwritten, making the book drag a little. Overall, I appreciate Peters' humor and found the book enjoyable but it didn't knock me out.
Jennierae
Feb 09, 2014 Jennierae rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious and quite enjoyable. Cash Peters is the host of a travel show, a job that most people probably envy. When we see it from his side we get to see the downside of traveling all over the world on someone else's dollar. There are parts where I would laugh out loud because of the situations his crew put him into. It's a great read and I look forward to reading other works by Cash Peters.
Llima
Feb 04, 2013 Llima rated it really liked it
I used to watch Cash's show, "Stranded" on the Travel Channel years ago so it was interesting to see how it all came about with this book. I was a bit surprised to see what a coward he is in real life. It kind of killed the show for me, but his recall of the adventures really made me laugh out loud sometimes.
Nancy
Apr 23, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Picked the book up at the airport to fill a day of travelling. While there were a few humorous passages, overall the book was less than enjoyable. I am a little obsessive,typically forcing myself to finish all books started. This one didn't make the bottom of my list, but was also far from the top. Little knowledge of locations visited, little connection with the main character (author).
Turi
May 06, 2009 Turi rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Interesting look at the life of a TV travel-show host. And a wimpy, reluctant one at that. Cash Peters is pretty funny, but I don't think this was the best use of his talents - parts of the book had exactly the kind of humor I like, but others seemed a little flat to me.
Noah
Oct 25, 2009 Noah rated it really liked it
This book reads effortlessly, which sounds like fainter praise than it is. Peters also gets the award for the best humorous use of footnotes I've ever seen. There's not much real substance to this book, but I don't think that was ever the point. Just tagging along with Peters is fun enough.
Michael
Dec 21, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Naked in Dangerous Places, it was whimsical, and informative, and had me chuckling out loud in places (not an easy feat). If you are a fan of sarcastic humor and dry wit, defiantly give this a go.
Ari
Jul 22, 2013 Ari rated it liked it
Eh. Lots of complaining, lots of "I don't do that, I don't eat that" made for a pretty blah read sometimes. By the end, the author had figured out that he needed to cut that out but by then it was too late.
Morganucopia
Jun 10, 2012 Morganucopia rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I've read. Cash is probably the worst person in the world to pick for a travel reality show. He's not adventurous, scared of a lot of things, and gets sick a lot. Which is what makes this fish-out-of-water, tongue-in-cheek memoir a riot. Relax, curl up, and enjoy!
Valerie
Jul 15, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kathleen, Debbie, Tori, Bill
The insights into making a tv show, were almost as good as the travel writing. And, as a person who suffers many problems with food concerns...it was nice to know that you could get paid to be an intrepid traveler w/o actually being one.
Joseph Roach
Jan 26, 2011 Joseph Roach rated it it was ok
I thought it would be funny, but ended up just being a story about a guy who had a failed TV show. Not great.
Joseph Gowen
Nov 08, 2009 Joseph Gowen rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious. I read it in a day and a half and laughed all the way through. I can't believe they gave this guy a travel show. But hey, it's basic cable.
Jerry-Mac
Feb 02, 2016 Jerry-Mac rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Crystal
Jan 13, 2011 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
The first half I enjoyed. The first couple of pages sucked me in. And then towards the end, I just got annoyed with him and wanted it to be over but I wanted to finish it. Oh well...
Rachel
Jun 08, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
This is not really a travel book. More of a look at the strangeness of making 'reality' TV. Good? well it passed the time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Dreaded Feast: Writers on Enduring the Holidays
  • Hotel Bemelmans
  • I Shudder and Other Reactions to Life, Death, and New Jersey
  • The 100 Best Affordable Vacations
  • Indian Takeaway: One Man's Attempt to Cook His Way Home
  • My Life with Groucho: A Son's Eye View
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • Turn Left At The Trojan Horse: A Would-Be Hero's American Odyssey
  • Monkey Dancing: A Father, Two Kids, And A Journey To The Ends Of The Earth
  • Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin
  • Hold the Enlightenment
  • Tide, Feather, Snow: A Life in Alaska
  • Lasso the Wind: Away to the New West
  • You Can't Get There from Here: A Year on the Fringes of a Shrinking World
  • The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River
  • Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian
  • Was This Man a Genius?: Talks With Andy Kaufman
  • The Big Rewind: A Memoir Brought to You by Pop Culture
Cash Peters is an author and broadcaster based in Los Angeles, California.

-from cashpeters.com
More about Cash Peters...