Start by marking “Floodmarkers” as Want to Read:
Floodmarkers

Floodmarkers

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Lystra, North Carolina. A fictional town full of very real people who survive the attack of Hurricane Hugo and then find their bearings in the aftermath—often in wild and hilarious ways.

The days leading up to the impending disaster are not at all unusual—no portents of disaster, no signs of impending calamity. Bryce works his night shift at the hot dog factory, Isaac driv
Published June 19th 2009 by Counterpoint (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Floodmarkers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floodmarkers

Matt
Jun 14, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing
Fans of writers like Arthur Bradford and Miranda July will eat this one up. More than once, it's embarrassed me by making me laugh out loud in public. And how the hell does Nic Brown turn a fuckin' hilarious line like "roll my dice" into something unexpectedly moving? For real -- this is one of the freshest, most heartfelt story collections of the last couple of years.
Marian
Oct 20, 2010 Marian rated it really liked it
I thought this was just terrific -- similar to Olive Kitteridge in that the stories are linked through characters. The stories do *not* go where you expect, and if you are a North Carolinian it is fun to catch all the local references. I really enjoyed this.
Scotty Cameron
Oct 27, 2012 Scotty Cameron rated it it was amazing
After reading Doubles, I had pretty high expectations from Nic Brown's prose. I was not disappointed.

Floodmarkers is sort of a collection of short stories that reads as a novella. Characters pop up here and there enough that their names are known. All of the stories in the collection are centered around the experiences of people living in Lystra, North Carolina in 1989 during hurricane Hugo.

To be completely honest, I thought that the topic sounded boring. However, Nic Brown doesn't just focus on
Peter
Aug 20, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing
And while I'm at it, let me say something about another former classmate who wrote a great collection. I joined Goodreads after I'd already read this goodread, but since I'm giving shout-outs of sorts, these are some stories worth reading.

And they're linked this time! Joe Meno already said this better than I can in his NYT review, but this book flourishes in the novel-in-stories-genre. Each tale holds its own while providing some kind of bridge to the next. It hits you in jabs of pleasure and t
jeff christmas
Jul 31, 2014 jeff christmas rated it it was amazing
I thought this was great--and appreciated that it was set where I grew up. Fantastic writing, compelling characters, and just enough terror to keep me guessing.
Nick
Mar 30, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Usually I don't like books that are a collection of stories, even if they are about related characters. Somehow, the energy I invest in getting to know a main character makes me want more than a few pages on them. I guess I love the escapist sensation of falling into long-lasting alternate world. But this book, like Olive Kittredge which another reviewer mentioned, has characters that are moving enough to get me to keep reading. This is the first Nic Brown book I have read. While I do plan to do ...more
smetchie
Jun 22, 2010 smetchie rated it it was ok
Recommended to smetchie by: Pook Pfaffe
Remember The Ice Storm with Christina Ricci? It was back when she still had big boobs and was quirky and interesting. I love that movie.

Well this book is sort of like that movie, only not as good.
It's a bunch of interwoven stories about some people living in a small town during Hurricane Hugo. Only Hurricane Hugo doesn't actually hit the town in the stories. It just makes a lot of rain and flooding. The townspeople are mostly disappointed that the Hurricane doesn't hit them and I was mostly disa
Catherine Siemann
Feb 09, 2010 Catherine Siemann rated it really liked it
A collection of interrelated short stories about 24 hours in the life of a coastal South Carolina town on the day that Hurricane Hugo struck, Floodmarkers explores a collection of engaging, frustrating, stuck, and memorable characters. One of the frustrations of such a sparely-written work is wanting to know more; these characters and these events could easily have made a lengthy novel. But as they are, the stories work very well.
Mary
Aug 03, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
This is not so much a story as some connected scenes all taking place around the same little fictional town of Lystra, NC during a hurricane. The author does a good job of capturing the half party/ half terror feelings we get when confronted with a big storm. Relationships are formed, memories examined and emotions run high.
Shauna
Aug 03, 2010 Shauna rated it liked it
Should have read this in public in Chapel Hill as the author lives there. Too bad I was in Cary instead. Anyway, I enjoyed the linked stories and the community (Lystra, NC, during Hurricane Hugo) he portrayed. But I have unanswered questions, though i doubt they'll stick with me for long.
Dana
Aug 10, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it
Hilarious and strange vignettes from a fictional Southern town somewhere in my area. This book has been getting a lot of press and so far, I am not disappointed.
Albert
Dec 22, 2009 Albert rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with memorable, funny scenes. And certainly has the first hefty and funny story I've ever read set in a hot dog factory. Kudos to Nic Brown.
Iris
Sep 27, 2013 Iris rated it liked it
The idea of this book was a good one and I enjoyed many of the characters, but the whole thing was too disjointed. It needed to come together more at the end.
Raines Kuppin
Aug 07, 2009 Raines Kuppin rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this! It made me laugh ... cringe at times ... and I definitely had to read a few passages outloud to anyone nearby. Nice work, Nic!
Sue
May 26, 2015 Sue rated it it was ok
A "novel in stories," according to NYT review.

For my taste, the "stories" didn't really coalesce into a "novel."
Taryn
Jul 22, 2009 Taryn rated it it was amazing
TANfastic!...and not just because i love this guy. this is really good writing. it made me chortle and squirm.
eb
Mar 20, 2009 eb rated it liked it
This guy can write a mean line of dialogue. His obvious love of dogs and kids doesn't hurt, either.
Humph
Jan 07, 2011 Humph rated it it was amazing
It's a amazing look at Carolina in the early 90s... and well the stories are hilarious.
Holly
Sep 03, 2013 Holly rated it did not like it
hmmmm..... unlikeable characters, worse of humanity, didn't go anywhere
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Mar 01, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Jamie
Jamie added it
Jan 16, 2016
Shelly
Shelly rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Ryon
Ryon marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Joan Heller
Joan Heller rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Pam Straus
Pam Straus marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • Mrs. Darcy and the Blue-Eyed Stranger
  • The Yips
  • Virtually Dead
  • Witches on the Road Tonight
Nic Brown is the author of the novels In Every Way, Doubles, and the story collection Floodmarkers, which was selected as an Editor's Choice by The New York Times Book Review. His writing has appeared in The New York Times, the Harvard Review, Glimmer Train, and Epoch, among many other publications. A graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop and Columbia University, he was the 2012-13 John and Renee ...more
More about Nic Brown...