Floodmarkers

Floodmarkers

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Lystra, North Carolina. A fictional town full of very real people who survive the attack of Hurricane Hugo and then find their bearings in the aftermath—often in wild and hilarious ways.

The days leading up to the impending disaster are not at all unusual—no portents of disaster, no signs of impending calamity. Bryce works his night shift at the hot dog factory, Isaac driv...more
Published June 19th 2009 by Counterpoint (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Floodmarkers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floodmarkers

Matt
Fans of writers like Arthur Bradford and Miranda July will eat this one up. More than once, it's embarrassed me by making me laugh out loud in public. And how the hell does Nic Brown turn a fuckin' hilarious line like "roll my dice" into something unexpectedly moving? For real -- this is one of the freshest, most heartfelt story collections of the last couple of years.
Marian
I thought this was just terrific -- similar to Olive Kitteridge in that the stories are linked through characters. The stories do *not* go where you expect, and if you are a North Carolinian it is fun to catch all the local references. I really enjoyed this.
Scotty Cameron
After reading Doubles, I had pretty high expectations from Nic Brown's prose. I was not disappointed.

Floodmarkers is sort of a collection of short stories that reads as a novella. Characters pop up here and there enough that their names are known. All of the stories in the collection are centered around the experiences of people living in Lystra, North Carolina in 1989 during hurricane Hugo.

To be completely honest, I thought that the topic sounded boring. However, Nic Brown doesn't just focus on...more
Peter
And while I'm at it, let me say something about another former classmate who wrote a great collection. I joined Goodreads after I'd already read this goodread, but since I'm giving shout-outs of sorts, these are some stories worth reading.

And they're linked this time! Joe Meno already said this better than I can in his NYT review, but this book flourishes in the novel-in-stories-genre. Each tale holds its own while providing some kind of bridge to the next. It hits you in jabs of pleasure and t...more
jeff christmas
I thought this was great--and appreciated that it was set where I grew up. Fantastic writing, compelling characters, and just enough terror to keep me guessing.
Nick
Usually I don't like books that are a collection of stories, even if they are about related characters. Somehow, the energy I invest in getting to know a main character makes me want more than a few pages on them. I guess I love the escapist sensation of falling into long-lasting alternate world. But this book, like Olive Kittredge which another reviewer mentioned, has characters that are moving enough to get me to keep reading. This is the first Nic Brown book I have read. While I do plan to do...more
smetchie
Jun 22, 2010 smetchie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to smetchie by: Pook Pfaffe
Remember The Ice Storm with Christina Ricci? It was back when she still had big boobs and was quirky and interesting. I love that movie.

Well this book is sort of like that movie, only not as good.
It's a bunch of interwoven stories about some people living in a small town during Hurricane Hugo. Only Hurricane Hugo doesn't actually hit the town in the stories. It just makes a lot of rain and flooding. The townspeople are mostly disappointed that the Hurricane doesn't hit them and I was mostly disa...more
Catherine Siemann
A collection of interrelated short stories about 24 hours in the life of a coastal South Carolina town on the day that Hurricane Hugo struck, Floodmarkers explores a collection of engaging, frustrating, stuck, and memorable characters. One of the frustrations of such a sparely-written work is wanting to know more; these characters and these events could easily have made a lengthy novel. But as they are, the stories work very well.
Mary
This is not so much a story as some connected scenes all taking place around the same little fictional town of Lystra, NC during a hurricane. The author does a good job of capturing the half party/ half terror feelings we get when confronted with a big storm. Relationships are formed, memories examined and emotions run high.
Shauna
Should have read this in public in Chapel Hill as the author lives there. Too bad I was in Cary instead. Anyway, I enjoyed the linked stories and the community (Lystra, NC, during Hurricane Hugo) he portrayed. But I have unanswered questions, though i doubt they'll stick with me for long.
Dana
Hilarious and strange vignettes from a fictional Southern town somewhere in my area. This book has been getting a lot of press and so far, I am not disappointed.
Albert
This book is filled with memorable, funny scenes. And certainly has the first hefty and funny story I've ever read set in a hot dog factory. Kudos to Nic Brown.
Iris
The idea of this book was a good one and I enjoyed many of the characters, but the whole thing was too disjointed. It needed to come together more at the end.
Raines
I really enjoyed this! It made me laugh ... cringe at times ... and I definitely had to read a few passages outloud to anyone nearby. Nice work, Nic!
Taryn
TANfastic!...and not just because i love this guy. this is really good writing. it made me chortle and squirm.
eb
This guy can write a mean line of dialogue. His obvious love of dogs and kids doesn't hurt, either.
Humph
It's a amazing look at Carolina in the early 90s... and well the stories are hilarious.
Holly Kroeger
hmmmm..... unlikeable characters, worse of humanity, didn't go anywhere
Sue
Aug 16, 2009 Sue marked it as to-read
A "novel in stories," according to NYT review.
Madison Stockton
Madison Stockton marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Sion1128
Sion1128 marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Ching-In
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Alan Macdonald
Alan Macdonald marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Iver Sandoval
Iver Sandoval marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Adriane Duron
Adriane Duron marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Marie Barrow
Marie Barrow marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nic Brown is the author of the novel Doubles and the story collection Floodmarkers, which was selected as an Editor's Choice by The New York Times Book Review. A new novel, In Every Way, will be published in February 2015. His writing has appeared in The New York Times, the Harvard Review, Glimmer Train, and Epoch, among many other publications. A graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop and Columbi...more
More about Nic Brown...