Start by marking “Loco Motive (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #25)” as Want to Read:
Loco Motive (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #25)

Loco Motive (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #25)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  327 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From USA Today bestselling author Mary Daheim comes her latest Bed-and-Breakfast book featuring innkeeper Judith McMonigle Flynn and her irrepressible cousin Renie in a mystery that takes them on the wrong side of the tracks. . . . Loco Motive

It's autumn at Hillside Manor B&B, and with the changing leaves come some unexpected guests. There's Judith's son and daughter-i
Published September 7th 2010 by William Morrow (first published August 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Loco Motive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loco Motive

Krista
Jul 20, 2011 Krista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just to clarify, I would like to start out saying that this is the first book in this entire series that I ventured upon reading. I only read it because I had to select a few books from the library's list to qualify for their Summer reading program.

To start out, I didn't really like the main character. I suppose it is nice that she was different, but I hardly think she needed to be such a neurotic liar. I mean really, if you family shows up unexpectedly, I don't see what the issue is to tell th
E Goldberg
Oct 17, 2010 E Goldberg rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Normally I enjoy books in this series (Bed-and-Breakfast mystery). This one though was truly incomprehensible. Too many characters, too many subplots, too many red herrings. Finished it though :P
Marilyn Fontane
Dec 04, 2013 Marilyn Fontane rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Loco Motive was my first (and probably last) Mary Daheim book. Not that it wasn't fun; it was in fact a fast, exciting read. I chose it because of the train connection, and was not disappointed there. Two cousins take a train cross country from somewhere on the Pacific coast to meet their husbands in Boston. Most of the action takes place on the train, although it starts with an "accident" at a B&B owned by Judith, one of the cousins. It is the same train that the accident victim and a widel ...more
Angela
May 17, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
Judith didn't really want to let Wee Willie Weevil stay at her Bed and Breakfast to begin with, but she did it as a favor to a dear friend of her son's. She will regret that decision forever after he makes not one, but two daring jumps off her building...one of which didn't end so well. Judith then decides, after situations make it the best choice, to go with her cousin Renie to Boston via train. That too, is a decision she wishes she would not have agreed to. It's bad enough that Wee Willie Wee ...more
Ken Bickley
One of my wife's "cozy" mysteries, this book was fun to read right up until the end, which was somewhat muddled. I understand this is characteristic of all of the "Bed and Breakfast" stories. The characters are fascinating, and the story of the train trip was very interesting, but the ending left me a bit confused about whodunit and why.
Brenda Mohr
Sep 25, 2015 Brenda Mohr rated it really liked it
It was the first book by Mary Daheim that I read and have been seeking out the rest to my great enjoyment. I love the characters and the plots are lighthearted and amusing.
Carolyn
Jan 19, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it
I enjoy her books but she puts so many different characters into the story, it is so convoluted by the end of the book, I can't keep the story straight.
Linda
Jun 27, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
I hesitate to write this review because I don't like to be critical of one of my favorite authors, but what happened with this book? It just isn't up to her usual standards and I quit reading it about 80 pages before the end. The plot was disjointed; the supporting characters vague and undeveloped; even the main characters were not interesting this time around. I realized part way through that I wasn't even enjoying this book and didn't really care how it ended. Anyway, since I've really liked a ...more
Judy Iliff
Feb 08, 2011 Judy Iliff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Judith needs a break. Renie doesn't like to fly. Bill has a conference to attend in Boston, and Joe needs to do some investigation for a client. Renie hates to fly, so she and Judith will take an Amtrak's east, and Bill and Joe will fly. As always happens, Judith ends up involved in what appears to be a murder.

While I love Daheim's books, I think her bed-and-breakfast series is getting a little bothersome. Actually, it's Renie who is getting bothersome. Half the time she acts like a spoiled chil
Lollyletsgo
Oct 07, 2013 Lollyletsgo rated it really liked it
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mary Daheim! This one was alot of fun, I would have given it 5 stars but I couldn't keep track of all the distant relatives Weevil or otherwise. I mean within the series Judith has Renie, of course, but a host of neighbors who assist her, in this one its just Renie and Judith to try to figure this one out. Which gets me to the cast this time around, and trying to figure out who was a possible suspect- okay, so in a murder mystery I always think ANYone could be the culprit. ;]

I
Helen
Wee Willie Weevil falls off the roof of Judith McMonigle Flynn's B&B and the whole situation is just too much so Judith agrees to go across country with her cousin on the Empire Builder to Chicago. As we naturally expect there is a death on the train among the group of odd passengers and yada, yada. I rather, sort of enjoyed it and thought MS Daheim had done her homework with the trains so I gave it to my husband, but neglected to tell him to skip the early antics and go straight to the trai ...more
Susan
Dec 12, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-trains
Judith Flynn is afraid that the guests at her bed-and-breakfast are driving her crazy. When she has the chance to take a cross-country train trip, from Seattle to Boston, with her cousin Renie, it sounds like the perfect escape. But then she finds that some of the same people are on the train--and one of them is dying. I always enjoy this series, but sometimes Daheim's plots are a bit confusing. This one seems reasonable until close to the end, when you need a diagram to keep the relationships s ...more
Roxana Griffith
Mar 13, 2014 Roxana Griffith rated it really liked it
She, Judith, is on a train in this one. Still getting along in her years, and body count. Heh. By the way - for a note; I'm dating these things about one before the other. Gads. Now I sound like Arlene, Judiths' neighbor. I mean that I finished the last book about the time I registered for finishing the book before that. And the same for the last few because I haven't been keeping on time current with the info for my reading. Sorry. Not that this note is going to do any good...READ ON!
Stephen
May 23, 2011 Stephen rated it it was ok
Mary Daheim's Bed and Breakfast books are just fun mysteries. Judith and Renie eat and drink their way through one crime after another. My only complaint is that an over abundance of characters at the beginning makes it a bit hard to sort them all out as the story progresses. Still I have fun reading it while I am doing it. Train travel is such a novelty nowadays it is fun to read about others doing it and wondering if it might not be something I would liket to try in the future.
Michele
Feb 10, 2015 Michele rated it really liked it
This one was a little convoluted but still a good read. I never quite figured out the relationship between the dead body and the killer but it was still a great read.
Tisha
Sep 12, 2011 Tisha rated it liked it
25th book of the Bed and Breakfast Mystery series. Although I liked the traveling by railroad theme, this was not a favorite of this series. There are too many people to keep track of. At the end when the mystery is solved I lost total interest. I had no idea who the murderer was. I do like the sideline storyline with Judith and Renie and their families. And it did make me think that traveling by rail might be fun...just a little too expensive though
VJ
Apr 10, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Reading this story makes me want to take a train trip!

I don't understand people who wear shoes at home. I once lived with friends who did that and I almost think it bothered them more that I didn't than it bothered me that they did. My only reasoning would be because they didn't like to mop the floors? I dunno. I mopped...and went barefoot. :)

Finished the book. The mystery wasn't one of my favorites, but the story was great.
Pam
Dec 08, 2010 Pam rated it liked it
A cross country train trip with Rene and Judith. The only fly in the ointment - one of the other passengers gets hurt at the B&B and are also on the train. I really enjoyed the book until the end. Too many characters who were using fictious names. At the end we learn all about them. I recommend using a pad and pencil to keep track of the train passengers. The ending just didn't satisfy me.
Renee
Mar 26, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing
What a lot of people to sort out on one train! But our dauntless innkeeper and her colorful cousin manage. I'm not sure that I'M so clear on all the coincidences-which-weren't-coincidences; but I am clear on the bad guy and the why... except for.... Read it for yourselves and let me know what happened to Roy and why?
Sabra
Oct 06, 2010 Sabra rated it it was ok
I've read every book in this series and have not enjoyed all of them. This book, however, has made it clear that I should just give up with them completely. Seriously, I gave it 2 stars because I finished it, but I was angry the whole time. Earlier books are much better.
Sallie
Jan 22, 2012 Sallie rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I've enjoyed this series with a few caveats here and there, but this latest (that I've read) book just seems disjointed with a confusing cast of characters and an abrupt ending which left me as confused as I was through the whole book. Not one of Daheim's best efforts.
Morningaj
Apr 16, 2012 Morningaj rated it liked it
It all got a bit confusing by the time I'd worked out who was who. Lots of people going by lots of pseudonyms and several of them had more than one different persona.

It was a clever enough tale, I suppose, but I won't be rushing to read any more of her stuff.
Christine
Feb 12, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
This was my first B&B mystery in a while, so not sure if it was me or the book, but it just felt all jumbled and not well thought out. And Judith and Renie seemed....nastier than usual. Not really feeling this one, but will still try the next!
Christy
Mar 08, 2013 Christy rated it it was ok
It was a cute read and I enjoyed the main characters but I wasn't a huge fan of the end. For a mystery it didn't wrap up very well and I felt like there were still a few loose ends.
Kat
Dec 14, 2011 Kat rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Getting really, really tired of Renie as a character. It used to be funny now she's just tiresome. Originally I liked this series better but now I prefer her Alpine series.
Jan
Feb 13, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it
Classic "cozy" from one of the best. A bit convoluted at the end so the reader needs to pay close attention!
E
Feb 19, 2011 E rated it liked it
Since I've read the other books in her Bed and Breakfast series (missed one in the middle, but I'll get to it), I have to read this one (#25).
Natalie
Mar 02, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
This was a weird one...missed some of the home characters because they were on the road most of the time. Strange ending.
Sheri Bouvier
Nov 17, 2013 Sheri Bouvier rated it it was ok
Too confusing, too many characters, too many coincidences, too much chaos - both in the plot and in the characters.
Linda
Aug 25, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
Too many characters muddied the winding plot. Glad that they left the b and b for a bit, but really?
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • A Mischief in the Snow (Bracebridge Mystery, #4)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • O' Artful Death
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • 'Til Dice Do Us Part (Bunco Babes Mystery, #2)
  • Deadly Greetings (A Card Making Mystery, #2)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • The Way of the Guilty (Hope Street Church Mystery, #3)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • The Brush-Off: A Hair-Raising Mystery
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)