Start by marking “Prison Madness: The Mental Health Crisis Behind Bars and What We Must Do about It” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A Disturbing and Shocking Expose-A Passionate Cry for Reform"Prison Madness" exposes the brutality and failure of today's correctional system-for all prisoners-but especially the incredible conditions Andured by those suffering from serious mental disorders.

"A passionately argued and brilliantly written wake-up call to America about the myriad ways our penal systems brutal...more
Published February 5th 1999 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Prison Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison Madness

Jamie
very upsetting, needless to say, yet articulately written, thoroughly researched and reverently told.
Larissa
I liked it but would have preferred he backed of some of the things he stated as fact with some data and references throughout the book. I(Such as the number of homeless people with mental illness- he says it is not that high but it's not clear where he gathered that- personal experience or from a published study)I liked his overall point of view and think this is a good book for a general audience.
Heidi Sinderman
excellent. disturbing if you have any heart for these issues, but very important and good.
Amy Antcliffe
Jan 03, 2014 Amy Antcliffe is currently reading it
I'm about half way and finding it a most difficult read. Absolutely harrowing. Will persist, though
Jade Ricks
Jade Ricks marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Kelly Sternberg
Kelly Sternberg marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jennifer Sievers
Jennifer Sievers marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Anne L
Anne L is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2013
Maureenaegan
Maureenaegan marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Malik Newton
Malik Newton marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
L.
L. marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Rachael Q.
Rachael Q. marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012
Faby Pisi
Faby Pisi marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2012
Nuri
Nuri marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Will
Will added it
Oct 18, 2012
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
D
D marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2012
Thurm
Thurm marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2011
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2011
Revisioning Men's Lives: Gender, Intimacy, and Power Ending Therapy: The Meaning of Termination Using Psychodynamic Principles in Public Mental Health (New Directions for Youth Development) (No 46) Public Therapy: The Practice of Psychotherapy in the Public Mental Health Clinic From the Bottom of the Heap: The Autobiography of Black Panther Robert Hillary King