Start by marking “Eternity (Immortal Witches, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eternity (Immortal Witches, #1)

Eternity (The Immortals #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,397 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Three hundred years ago, Raven St. James was accused of witchcraft...Only one man tried to free her from the hangman's noose--Duncan, the town minister, who died trying to save her. Three hundred years later, the accused witch still lives and longs for her love...At last, after centuries of loneliness, Raven has found her precious Duncan. But as he awakens to the passion o ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eternity

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Books With Witches
152nd out of 1,198 books — 2,022 voters
Uprooted by Naomi NovikMoon Called by Patricia BriggsWritten in Red by Anne BishopStardust by Neil GaimanThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Suggested Reads for the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club
196th out of 663 books — 1,208 voters

More lists with this book...

Yodamom
2- the story idea was nice about two people who time and death could not separate. The idea was nice I just thought the story stuttered a faulted for me. First I really dislike tales of witch hunts, mob mentality gone stupid and just plan ignorance. *This book had all three. I got uninterested and found myself skimming pages through the horrible history parts, the back ground of the white art/darks arts, and many more. The Native American bit was thrown in there so random and incomplete it was d ...more
Amanda
Feb 24, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
I got this book as a freebie from Amazon and it was a very enjoyable read. While the love story between Raven and Duncan was the main focus of the novel it was the historical aspect of the witch trials in both the UK and US that intrigued me the most. I felt that there was a lot of research undertaken that helped make the the whole story feel very real. As someone who has a Wiccan in their family I felt that Maggie Shayne's representation of the old religion to be sensitive and compassionate. I ...more
Hollie
Feb 22, 2016 Hollie rated it really liked it
This was such a unique paranormal witch tale. Here's my breakdown:

Pros:
* Solid characters
* Great writing style
* Offered as a freebie
* Really sweet romance

Cons:
* It became repetitive at times, especially during "Part 2" of this read

Overall, I was impressed with this book and will definitely check out book 2 in the series.
Melissa
Oct 11, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book should probably be three stars instead of four. Predictable, formula, been done, but I enjoyed it. OK? It was a fun read. Immortal witches, time travel, treachery, and some steamy romance and a hot Scottish dude, but do all Scottish hotties have to have the last name Wallace? Overall an enjoyable bit of escapism so four stars but don't expect great literature, just a fun story.
Julie
OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK! TRUE ROMANCE AT ITS GREATEST. THE STORY IS TOLD FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF MULTIPLE CHARACTERS IN FIRST PERSON. THE STORY IS TOLD SO ELOQUENTLY IT IS "BEWITCHING." THIS HERO AND HEROINE HAVE A LOVE FOR ALL TIME. A KEEPER, TO BE READ OVER AND OVER, ESPECIALLY FOR ANY WHO ARE WICCAN AND/OR WITCHCRAFT BELIEVERS/FOLLOWERS.
Betty
Feb 11, 2013 Betty rated it it was amazing
Raven St. James lives with her mother who is a local 'healer'. The town has been fighting a plague. Raven's mother was unable to save her own husband from the plague and is mourning him. Her sister-in-law comes to the house and demands that she heal her son. Since Raven's mother is unable to heal the son her siter-in-law accuses her of being a witch. The town's folk grab Raven and her mother and get ready for a hanging which takes place the next morning.
The author builds wonderful characters g
CrimsonTyd
Mar 17, 2013 CrimsonTyd rated it did not like it
Straight up romance. Leading lady to good for me. Nothing much happens in the story. The Native Americans were more interesting than the other characters, but they too seemed simplistic.

I can't finish it. Same story in present day as in the 1600's. 300 years and Raven is exactly the same as she was before. Completely boring.

People who love romances might like this book despite it's lack of humor, plot, world building, or character development.

This kind of romance just doesn't do it for me anymo
Leann
Aug 05, 2011 Leann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, Witch fans, Paranormal fans, Romance fans, Maggie Shayne fans
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down!

It shares the typical moral of "You don't know what you have until it's gone"

You're following Raven St. James on her journey. She finds family that she felt she'd lost. She grew as a person/witch. She fell in love and fights to keep it alive even after 300 yrs.

Witches normally aren't my thing. This however made them "my thing" as long as they're Maggie Shayne's. The more I read of her the more I love her works.
Jenn Dattilo Watts
Sep 13, 2011 Jenn Dattilo Watts rated it really liked it
Would rate this at about a 3.8. Read this about ten years ago and apparently I'm no longer the die-hard romantic I used to be. While it was a pretty quick read I had no trouble putting it down to get other stuff done. There was a ton of saccharin romance that turned me off, but the plot is really interesting. Favorite character in this book is Arianna, who just happens to be the heroine of the next book :)
Angela
14 April 2014: I already have the first three books in this series, but there's a box set right now for $0.99 on Kindle: Eternal Love: The Immortal Witch Series
Priscilla
Jul 15, 2012 Priscilla rated it it was amazing
This book is so good! I had a very difficult time putting it down. I kept turning the pages wanting to know what happened next! I have not done this in a long time. Ms. Shayne wove a wonderful story around actual historical events, bringing those events to life.
Tina
One of my all time fav/keeper romance. I bring this book out to reread over and over when I want a emotional, tear-jerker love story.
Jacquelyn Smith
Oct 12, 2012 Jacquelyn Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
A beautiful story of a love that endures through out time
Eliza Leone
Mar 10, 2015 Eliza Leone rated it liked it
Historical, magical, and ultimately wonderful!

3 Stars
Series: Book 1: Immortal Witches
Characters: Raven and Duncan
Setting: Europe, New World - Maine
Mature Themes: Rape, murder, violence, sex

Recommendation: The witch trials were brutal and Eternity does little to hide that, if you’re into historical fiction, this does have a nicely woven in connection. There are some violent deaths and though not extremely graphic, something to note. All of the romance, historical, and magical aspect were combined
Bookmom
Feb 07, 2015 Bookmom rated it really liked it
Romance originally released back in the 90s about a young woman in the late sixteen hundreds who discovers after she’s been killed, that she’s an immortal witch, and that there are two kinds of immortal witches. And the evil ones need her heart to give them more power.

Raven is about to be hung as a witch when she first meets Duncan, a young priest who feels an immediate connection to her and does his best to prevent it.

I’d read this series when it was initially released so long ago and jumped
Linda
Nov 26, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Eannatum Was The Future King Of Lagash And Studied Hard, But His Fellow Student's Did Not Want Any Part Of The Boy Who Would Be King, His Only Friend Was The Girl Who Was Abandoned On The Temple Steps As A Babe And While He Was Groomed To Become The Next King She Was Groomed To Be The Priestess, He Had Guards So They Had To Sneak To Their Special Place To Play So They Could Be Children Without The Prying Eye's Of The Guards And The Priestess Lia. Eventually, Natum Made A Pact With Nibada To Teac ...more
Tanya
What a amazing book ! I can't believe I have never come across this series or author before.
Raven and her mother are set to die at the gallows accused of witchcraft. The plague has claimed many , and local townsfolk believe they are the cause,
Duncan Wallace , a priest in training protests the hanging. Duncan and Raven see each other .... and time stands still , a connection has been made ... a heartbeat , a breathe .... a soul searching. The lever is pulled and Raven's neck is snapped. Death is
Heather
Mar 21, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this 10 stars! 5 just doesn't seem like enough.

This book has far surpassed expectations. I admit that I started reading it a bit skeptically - I did not think I liked stories about witches and never had any interest in reading them. However, all that has now changed with Eternity. The plot is so original and creative, the characters are dynamic and exciting and even though I just finished the novel, I already miss them. The characters are an exciting realistic blend of extrao
Scoozer
This book is divided into two parts. I kind of liked the first part, but the second part was so repetitive and whiny that I kept wondering when it would ever end. Not a good sign. Also the ebook version of this novel was riddled with errors--missing letters, misspelled words and more. I give it a C- for the first part.
Anjanet
Mar 27, 2013 Anjanet rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
This was an entertaining book. No literary award winning book, but a pleasurable book that kept me reading on my bus ride home from work. I was sad to see it end...ready to read another!

The writing in this book was great. Although "mystical", I never said..."Are you kidding me?" The main characters are very well developed; you really know "who" they are, and they reacted appropriately to their character in the different situations and conversations in the story.

There is a big time gap in the sto
Michelle Leah Olson
I am breathlessly wowed!
I have read A LOT of Maggie Shayne books and have loved every single one, so hearing Maggie say that Eternity was "the single best novel I have ever written" both did and did not surprise me.
After finishing the book though, I can sort of see where she's coming from...
Wings in the Night will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I stand my assessment that The Portal series is epic. This book, however, is truly something special and will be one I will read way m
Samantha
May 31, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason for four stars on this one is because I didn’t really fall in love with this book. Yes, it was entertaining and I connected a bit with the character but, I just didn’t fall head over heels with it. It was interesting enough that I wanted to keep reading but I would get bored with it, put it down, pick it back up, get bored and put it back down again.

The subtitle gives it away that this is about witches so I won’t dance around that subject, not entirely anyway. One of my favorite parts
Kat Wilde
May 20, 2015 Kat Wilde rated it really liked it
Does it have a happy ending? Yes.

Do any characters die? Yes, but no one gut-wrenching.

Well, I started reading this on a whim (can't remember why) and of course ended up awake at 5am, unable to go to sleep before I finished it.

Witches are what sold me on it. As an oh-so-charming friend put it, "bitches love witches." Well, I don't know about that stereotype, but it certainly applies to me. But witches aren't enough - I've actually gotten to the point where I can stop reading a book if it's not
Andrea
Eternity is the second book I’ve read by Maggie Shayne (the other being ‘Texas Homecoming’), and by now I think it’s safe to say that her books just aren’t for me. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but both books just didn’t suck me in, and in both cases I got bored, skimmed an awful lot, and just gave up at some point. The story itself was actually interesting, and should’ve made me care a lot about the characters, but for some reason it just didn’t happen.
Raven St. James awakens next to her mother
Jackie Lynn
RE-READ 5/4/15: 4.5 stars! I love paranormal books, especially ones that involve some sort of past lives. I find it even more romantic to love someone so much not only in one life, but all of them. I do know that I jut wanted to smack those crazy people from the 1600's when they sprouted all this crap about witchery. Such fools!

A very different kind of witch story, but it had a nice sense of history to it, but a lot of action along with a deep everlasting love. I loved the series very much.
Traci
This was an amazing, free book! I'm so glad I stumbled across it. I can't wait to read more in the series. I loved the historical part and it's connection to actual witch trials, including Salem. It was such an original concept (for once!)

Only CON: could have been edited again! There were a lot of missing quotations at the beginning of a quote. Some words were spelled wrong every time: softly = softy; father = rather. It didn't take away from the story, but was really noticeable.
Emily
I loved this book! I've always been a fan of the love through the ages formula and this book did not disappoint. I was hesitant to buy another Maggie Shayne book after reading some of her vampire novels, but I'm glad I gave her another try.

I was also impressed with the amount of detail brought in about the old ways, or Wicca. Of course, at the end of the book when I read the author bio it said she's a High Priestess so that made sense.

Infinity was good, too. :D
Sandown Public
Jan 20, 2016 Sandown Public rated it liked it
I reread this one while I was waiting for the new Laurell K. Hamilton book to come in. I clearly had it mixed up with at least one of the other books in the series, in my memory, but I enjoyed it as much the second time around as I did the first. I'll have to reread the rest of the Immortal Witches trilogy, now, too.
Raven St. James is a witch, and the book opens with both her and her mother's execution for witchcraft, and it follows Raven's story after that. I found her to be wholly sympathetic.
Dawn
Mar 25, 2015 Dawn rated it did not like it
Christine
Good concept

I liked the idea of the struggle between the good and evil immortals, however it didn't really seem to have a purpose to it. I mean okay great she becomes immortal saving a life out of love but to what end? Sure they adopt the credo of do no harm, but what do they do? Aside for pining for her lost love for 300 years I didn't really see a point of her immortality. There was also one glaring editing issue that I was shocked to see. There was a moment when Nathaniel commented about how
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 11:12AM
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Blood, Smoke and Mirrors (Bad Witch #1)
  • The Promise
  • A Moment In Time
  • Captured
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Somewhere in Time
  • My Familiar Stranger (Knights of Black Swan, #1)
  • The Sun Witch (Fyne Witches, #1)
  • Rage and Redemption (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • Fated
  • Witch Weigh
  • The Border Bride (Darnleys & Kirallens, #1)
  • Stuck On You
  • Phantom in Time
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Dangerous Talents (Vinlanders' Saga, #1)
  • Some Day Somebody (La Fleur de Love, #1)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Immortality (Immortal Witches, #0.5)
  • Infinity (Immortal Witches, #2)
  • Destiny (Immortal Witches, #3)

“a typical male who would find a way to blame his lust on the object of it.” 0 likes
“In some previous lifetime, my daughter, you died while attempting to save the life of another witch. Because of this, you were born into this lifetime with the gift of immortality. But this is only one of two ways that gift can be passed on.” 0 likes