Start by marking “Eternity (Immortal Witches, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eternity (Immortal Witches, #1)

Eternity (Immortal Witches #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,210 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Three hundred years ago, Raven St. James was accused of witchcraft... Only one man tried to free her from the hangman's noose--Duncan, the town minister, who died trying to save her. Three hundred years later, the accused witch still lives and longs for her love... At last, after centuries of loneliness, Raven has found her precious Duncan. But as he awakens to the passion ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eternity

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Books With Witches
149th out of 990 books — 1,821 voters
My Commander by Alanea AlderDance Upon The Air by Nora RobertsHeaven and Earth by Nora RobertsEternity by Maggie ShayneRevelation by Lauren Dane
Best Witch Romance Books
4th out of 110 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Yodamom
2- the story idea was nice about two people who time and death could not separate. The idea was nice I just thought the story stuttered a faulted for me. First I really dislike tales of witch hunts, mob mentality gone stupid and just plan ignorance. *This book had all three. I got uninterested and found myself skimming pages through the horrible history parts, the back ground of the white art/darks arts, and many more. The Native American bit was thrown in there so random and incomplete it was d ...more
Amanda
I got this book as a freebie from Amazon and it was a very enjoyable read. While the love story between Raven and Duncan was the main focus of the novel it was the historical aspect of the witch trials in both the UK and US that intrigued me the most. I felt that there was a lot of research undertaken that helped make the the whole story feel very real. As someone who has a Wiccan in their family I felt that Maggie Shayne's representation of the old religion to be sensitive and compassionate. I ...more
Betty
Raven St. James lives with her mother who is a local 'healer'. The town has been fighting a plague. Raven's mother was unable to save her own husband from the plague and is mourning him. Her sister-in-law comes to the house and demands that she heal her son. Since Raven's mother is unable to heal the son her siter-in-law accuses her of being a witch. The town's folk grab Raven and her mother and get ready for a hanging which takes place the next morning.
The author builds wonderful characters g
CrimsonTyd
Straight up romance. Leading lady to good for me. Nothing much happens in the story. The Native Americans were more interesting than the other characters, but they too seemed simplistic.

I can't finish it. Same story in present day as in the 1600's. 300 years and Raven is exactly the same as she was before. Completely boring.

People who love romances might like this book despite it's lack of humor, plot, world building, or character development.

This kind of romance just doesn't do it for me anymo
Leann
Aug 05, 2011 Leann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone, Witch fans, Paranormal fans, Romance fans, Maggie Shayne fans
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down!

It shares the typical moral of "You don't know what you have until it's gone"

You're following Raven St. James on her journey. She finds family that she felt she'd lost. She grew as a person/witch. She fell in love and fights to keep it alive even after 300 yrs.

Witches normally aren't my thing. This however made them "my thing" as long as they're Maggie Shayne's. The more I read of her the more I love her works.
Jenn Dattilo Watts
Would rate this at about a 3.8. Read this about ten years ago and apparently I'm no longer the die-hard romantic I used to be. While it was a pretty quick read I had no trouble putting it down to get other stuff done. There was a ton of saccharin romance that turned me off, but the plot is really interesting. Favorite character in this book is Arianna, who just happens to be the heroine of the next book :)
Melissa
This book should probably be three stars instead of four. Predictable, formula, been done, but I enjoyed it. OK? It was a fun read. Immortal witches, time travel, treachery, and some steamy romance and a hot Scottish dude, but do all Scottish hotties have to have the last name Wallace? Overall an enjoyable bit of escapism so four stars but don't expect great literature, just a fun story.
Julie
OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK! TRUE ROMANCE AT ITS GREATEST. THE STORY IS TOLD FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF MULTIPLE CHARACTERS IN FIRST PERSON. THE STORY IS TOLD SO ELOQUENTLY IT IS "BEWITCHING." THIS HERO AND HEROINE HAVE A LOVE FOR ALL TIME. A KEEPER, TO BE READ OVER AND OVER, ESPECIALLY FOR ANY WHO ARE WICCAN AND/OR WITCHCRAFT BELIEVERS/FOLLOWERS.
Angela
14 April 2014: I already have the first three books in this series, but there's a box set right now for $0.99 on Kindle: Eternal Love: The Immortal Witch Series
Priscilla
This book is so good! I had a very difficult time putting it down. I kept turning the pages wanting to know what happened next! I have not done this in a long time. Ms. Shayne wove a wonderful story around actual historical events, bringing those events to life.
Tina
One of my all time fav/keeper romance. I bring this book out to reread over and over when I want a emotional, tear-jerker love story.
Linda
Eannatum Was The Future King Of Lagash And Studied Hard, But His Fellow Student's Did Not Want Any Part Of The Boy Who Would Be King, His Only Friend Was The Girl Who Was Abandoned On The Temple Steps As A Babe And While He Was Groomed To Become The Next King She Was Groomed To Be The Priestess, He Had Guards So They Had To Sneak To Their Special Place To Play So They Could Be Children Without The Prying Eye's Of The Guards And The Priestess Lia. Eventually, Natum Made A Pact With Nibada To Teac ...more
Tanya
What a amazing book ! I can't believe I have never come across this series or author before.
Raven and her mother are set to die at the gallows accused of witchcraft. The plague has claimed many , and local townsfolk believe they are the cause,
Duncan Wallace , a priest in training protests the hanging. Duncan and Raven see each other .... and time stands still , a connection has been made ... a heartbeat , a breathe .... a soul searching. The lever is pulled and Raven's neck is snapped. Death is
Heather
I wish I could give this 10 stars! 5 just doesn't seem like enough.

This book has far surpassed expectations. I admit that I started reading it a bit skeptically - I did not think I liked stories about witches and never had any interest in reading them. However, all that has now changed with Eternity. The plot is so original and creative, the characters are dynamic and exciting and even though I just finished the novel, I already miss them. The characters are an exciting realistic blend of extrao
Anjanet
This was an entertaining book. No literary award winning book, but a pleasurable book that kept me reading on my bus ride home from work. I was sad to see it end...ready to read another!

The writing in this book was great. Although "mystical", I never said..."Are you kidding me?" The main characters are very well developed; you really know "who" they are, and they reacted appropriately to their character in the different situations and conversations in the story.

There is a big time gap in the sto
Michelle Leah Olson
I am breathlessly wowed!
I have read A LOT of Maggie Shayne books and have loved every single one, so hearing Maggie say that Eternity was "the single best novel I have ever written" both did and did not surprise me.
After finishing the book though, I can sort of see where she's coming from...
Wings in the Night will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I stand my assessment that The Portal series is epic. This book, however, is truly something special and will be one I will read way m
Andrea
Eternity is the second book I’ve read by Maggie Shayne (the other being ‘Texas Homecoming’), and by now I think it’s safe to say that her books just aren’t for me. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but both books just didn’t suck me in, and in both cases I got bored, skimmed an awful lot, and just gave up at some point. The story itself was actually interesting, and should’ve made me care a lot about the characters, but for some reason it just didn’t happen.
Raven St. James awakens next to her mother
Traci
This was an amazing, free book! I'm so glad I stumbled across it. I can't wait to read more in the series. I loved the historical part and it's connection to actual witch trials, including Salem. It was such an original concept (for once!)

Only CON: could have been edited again! There were a lot of missing quotations at the beginning of a quote. Some words were spelled wrong every time: softly = softy; father = rather. It didn't take away from the story, but was really noticeable.
Emily
I loved this book! I've always been a fan of the love through the ages formula and this book did not disappoint. I was hesitant to buy another Maggie Shayne book after reading some of her vampire novels, but I'm glad I gave her another try.

I was also impressed with the amount of detail brought in about the old ways, or Wicca. Of course, at the end of the book when I read the author bio it said she's a High Priestess so that made sense.

Infinity was good, too. :D
Heidi
I liked the characters a lot. There wasn't a whole lot of performing magic going on. It was more of an eternal love story. There were some things that needed editing. On the whole I liked the book, I just really am not into love stories right now. It had enough adventure to keep me reading. I really wanted to know what was going to happen next with Raven, Duncan, Nathaniel, and Arianna.
Tanya Lea
This book has been sitting on my shelf to read for years now.. Not sure why I never read it and decided to pick it up this weekend. Wow I could kick myself. Fun read! Loved the intwined stories of passed lives and a epic love tale. And who doesn't love a good tale of good vs. evil?
Jill Odom
Apr 23, 2013 Jill Odom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in historical and/or paranormal romances
This had some pretty cool elements and was an overall enjoyable story. The instant connection between the Hero and Heroine was exciting and completely believable. Some of the events toward the end were a bit farfetched but not so much as to detract from the story.
Em
This was my mom's book, I read it on vacation and was obsessed. I don't remember, but this might have been my first romance novel. I don't think Mom has it anymore, but I really want to read it again.
Emily
Feb 24, 2013 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adult women
Recommended to Emily by: free ebook on Amazon
Loved this book. It was hot, passionate, romantic, adventurous, and did I mention hot? I want to read book 2, Arianna's story, but I'm going to wait and see if the digital price comes down some.
Yolanda
Perfect books for a little bit of everything. Love: for family, friend & lover. Mystery, suspense, witchcraft, mystique, magick, etc....

Loved it. Great ending for a new start. Infinity.
Jackie Lynn (loves cats)
A very different kind of witch story, but it had a nice sense of history to it, but a lot of action along with a deep everlasting love. I loved the series very much.
Maria Ringler
I have to say I didn't want to put this book down once I started it and now I can't wait to read the immortal witches books! Loved it!
Michelle
Really great story, even the first person parts. Gave it 4 stars because there were just too many typos.
Starla B
I really enjoyed this, and am looking forward to purchasing the rest of the books in this series.
Angela
I really enjoyed this book. I found the concept of immortal witches very interesting.
  • Captured
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint Of Seven Dials, #1)
  • A Moment In Time
  • Somewhere in Time (Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
  • Come the Dawn
  • Firefly Hollow (Firefly Hollow, #1)
  • Hint of Desire (The Desire Series, #1)
  • Witch Weigh
  • Kiss Of An Angel
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Wings in the Night, #4)
  • The Warrior's Wife
  • Moonglow
  • The Legend of the Bloodstone (Time Walkers, #1)
  • Shades of Honor (Grayson Brothers, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Dangerous Talents (Vinlanders' Saga, #1)
  • Some Day Somebody (La Fleur de Love, #1)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...
An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5) Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5) The Gingerbread Man Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)