Start by marking “Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them” as Want to Read:

Cynthia Shapiro is a former Human Resources executive who's pulling back the curtain on the way that companies really work. In Corporate Confidential, she unmasks startling truths and what you can do about them, including:

* There's no right to free speech in the workplace.
*Age discrimination exists.
* Why being too smart is not too smart.
* Human Resources is not there to he
Published September 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Corporate Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corporate Confidential

Misericordia ❣
Apr 14, 2016 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
A great outline of corporate inside. Well, a number of it is widely known but still when bluntly put in a book this makes a whole lot more impact.

'Did you know that maternity/medical leave is not really “protected?” That lawsuits are stacked against employees? That performance-review systems are inherently flawed? That expense reports hide a secret test? Or that most people make a mistake when asking for a raise or promotion that kills their chances of getting it? Now you will.'

There are a numbe
Mobill76
Mar 25, 2011 Mobill76 rated it liked it
So the game DOES have rules. I just thought they were evil for the sport of it. What if I don't want to play the game?" What if I want to change the rules?

This is a great manual for finally understanding how corporate culture works. And it does have prescriptions for what ails you. The problem is that finding out that all your paranoia is justified really turns your stomach against wanting to play this game anymore. A lot of this stuff won't work for me because I've already been branded but what
Jason Gordon
Dec 24, 2015 Jason Gordon rated it liked it
I read this book on the recommendation of my goodreads friend Rod Hilton. Rod states that the book basically confirms the worst suspicions about corporations. It does a little bit more than that. The book explains how to use and exploit that knowledge you have about these terrible dictatorships to your advantage (i.e. getting to the top and making the changes you want to see; aka working within the system). The book is marketed to those cynics who refuse to play the corporate game, to encourage ...more
Amy
Aug 11, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
A very easy and quick read. Overall an ok book with some good suggestions for people at all stages of employment, from people entering a first or new job to seasoned workers and management. I read this to get an idea of what to expect in a corporate environment, and realized that it has a decidedly negative or even cynical twist to it. The author worked in HR for 20 or so years and I would like to know what companies she worked at, because although much of this is probably true in terms of doing ...more
Polly
Dec 30, 2008 Polly rated it it was amazing
Biggest take home message: Your job is to keep your job. Coming from an HR background, I was intrigued by this book. The advice is truly valuable to anyone who wants to thrive in the job they've got or move on to bigger and better things. If you people are passing you on the way up the ladder and you think you're doing everything right, you should read this book.
Marie
Mar 24, 2009 Marie rated it it was amazing
This book is essential if you work in a traditional office environment. It will help you avoid the landmines of office politics and stay sane in the workplace. Highly recommend!
Susan
Oct 11, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
I picked this up on a recommendation from a Hacker News article, and I'm glad I did? Question mark? Reading it at times was uncomfortable, because if I wanted to know exactly what I did wrong at MOT and why I didn't get promoted, well, I got my answers from this book. (answer: I basically did a lot wrong, over a period of about three years)

Now that I'm at SAP, I'm happy, because I'm not making the same mistakes, thankfully, though there are areas that I can definitely tweak and make better.

Of c
Ilya
Dec 26, 2010 Ilya rated it really liked it
A former human resource executive at an unnamed corporation tells what it takes to succeed in the corporate world. You should bend over to your boss, never complain to the HR, never bring your personal life to work, and demonstrate your loyalty to the company every which way. Demonstrating superior skills is not necessary: anyone can be trained in the skills, but not everyone is loyal to his employer.
erjan avid reader
Jul 22, 2014 erjan avid reader rated it really liked it
I enjoyed some ideas from this book and how they are presented.

While reading i realized that some ideas are just common sense, but i would not be able to fraze them myself: friendship can turn ugly when one friend gets promoted over another, so better make a choice: to build career or socialize; emails are not private, scanned and can be dangerous; HR spies and delivers info to ceo - employee mistakenly complains about the boss.

but if i did not read this book, i would not realize them by myself,
Kasandra
Mar 19, 2012 Kasandra rated it liked it
This is the sort of book that those just entering the workforce should have to read! Wish I'd known some of these things without having figured them out the hard way. Valuable information for those who want to know what it takes to really move up at work.
Nines
Apr 21, 2008 Nines rated it really liked it
this's a really good source to find out the secrets your company doesn't want you to know.

i read the books in a week and well... it really inspired my style of working in a giant company..

never trust your HRD people!
Yosse
Apr 23, 2008 Yosse rated it really liked it
You’ve got to read this book if want to accelerate your career in the company, at least didn’t fired without know the reason….
Tom Martin
Feb 16, 2016 Tom Martin rated it it was amazing
..."Highly skilled employees, with seemingly great value to their organizations, are let go every day because they are perceived to be a potential risk and cannot be trusted. Conversely, employees are being promoted who don't have the best skills and may even have to be taught how to do the job, at great expense and time, because they appear to be in alignment and the company feels they can be trusted over others."...

This book put all the pieces of the corporate culture puzzle together for me. W
Stacey Brewer
Jan 24, 2008 Stacey Brewer rated it liked it
Read this before you talk to HR!
Bill
Apr 29, 2011 Bill rated it liked it
Pretty cynical, but honest
Rod Hilton
Oct 17, 2015 Rod Hilton rated it liked it
This book has an interesting premise - a former HR person writing a book about companies and HR in particular, basically getting down to the truth of corporations even when it's not politically correct. In other words, these are all the things your HR department at work knows to be true, but can't say are true while they work there.

Most of the book is pretty interesting, if somewhat predictable. Basically it just confirms that the worst suspicions you have about corporations are true. There are
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-spirit
Loved Cynthia Shapiro's brilliant perspective, much of which as I look back at my corporate career, rings very true, as it unfolds the mysteries of why I was getting passed over for that promotion. Sigh! A little too late but it's great to know what went wrong in the past... I bought this book because I am in deep research mode as I create my product on cracking the code to get promoted in the corporate world and wanted to read references on the topic.

It was hugely helpful and taught me much I
Robert
Mar 31, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
Eye opening and honest. Cynthia is qualified to discuss the inner workings of corporate politics. She is a PHR (Professional in Human Resources) and MBA, and she has an ELC (employment law certification). This is a book like no other I've ever read before. The advice contained in it is very helpful and so are the resources at the end of the book.
Vicky Harrison keating
Jan 10, 2015 Vicky Harrison keating rated it really liked it
Fascinating read, truly scary and a great eye opener. Hopefully there's more companies out there who do better than this book suggests. It's a shame employee growth and HR duty of care has devolved in such a way. Employees are a companies biggest commodity yet are treated as disposable.
Jesse
Apr 18, 2015 Jesse rated it liked it
A lot of the advice falls largely into two themes: reputation matters (with all the nomization that entails), and the company is not your friend. Some of the suggestions seem obvious, some less so. Either way, at under 200 pages, this book is a short read that gets right to the point.
Diana Conlon
Apr 07, 2014 Diana Conlon rated it it was amazing
I liked that the book was written by an HR professional. Best quote "your job is to keep your job"
Kip
Jun 29, 2008 Kip rated it liked it
Recommends it for: new managers, struggling employees
Wish I would have read this in my 20s when I was first getting into management. Have learned some of these "secrets" the hard way! A good refresher I suppose, and nice to see the corporate spin laid plain by a former HR VP. Has some good bits for all employees and many more that would benefit new managers.

* Couldn't finish
** I had nothing else to do
*** Passed the time, would be **** for genre / author fans
**** Everyone could enjoy this book
***** Everyone should read this book, I'll read it again
Youjiang Wu
Sep 17, 2014 Youjiang Wu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career-path
Nice read, a lot of good advice on being professional
Lukas
Jan 07, 2013 Lukas rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Corporate Employees
Not a bad book for anyone in the corporate world looking for tips on advancement or how to manipulate their image in the eyes of one's boss. Although much of the content in this book can be considered common sense (ie dressing nicely for work will lead to a better impression, etc), Shapiro does a good job of surfacing and affirming corporate ambiguity. For anyone anxious about job security or looking for advancement techniques within their company.
Shannon
Sep 05, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
The first half of this book is utterly depressing and terrifying because it confirms that all your worst fears about corporate life are in fact true, and even worse than you thought. However, there is some really good advice offered throughout the book and it is probably most useful for those just starting out in their careers.
Osi
Mar 21, 2016 Osi rated it really liked it
Shelves: corporate
Great book and resource!
David
Dec 06, 2012 David rated it liked it
interesting book to know what you need to know is what your company know of your knew already..but most people do not know the basic trick like when to ask for pay raise, when to ask for a vacation and how long it should be...good for beginner..(only if you are employed)
Araceli Varelas
Jun 02, 2013 Araceli Varelas rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot of great information and tips on how to succeed in the corporate world. I highly recommend this to anyone just entering the corporate world, has ever been passed up on a promotion, or is questioning their position at their current job.
Amarta Adi
Jan 21, 2011 Amarta Adi rated it really liked it
bagi anda para orang upahan ehm...praktisi manajemen SDM, buku ini menyisipkan praktik- praktik kotor manajemen SDM yang mungkin akan anda hadapi (atau bisa anda terapkan).
Gregg
Mar 02, 2014 Gregg rated it really liked it
was very eye opening on some parts and made you keep things in mind when you are working with so many different types of personalities.
In the know... 1 3 May 14, 2014 06:46AM
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
  • The 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back: Overcoming the Behavior Patterns That Keep You From Getting Ahead
  • Working for Yourself: Law & Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers & Consultants
  • "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
  • Rapid Problem Solving With Post-it Notes
  • The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • Badass: Making Users Awesome
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing Your Career
  • Real Business of IT: How CIOs Create and Communicate Value
  • Seducing the Boys Club: Uncensored Tactics from a Woman at the Top
  • 12 Essential Skills for Software Architects
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture

“When you're speaking to HR, no matter how friendly they may seem, you're still speaking to an agent of the corporation, with all that this implies. The very fact that you've chosen to give the information to an agent of the company means the information belongs to the company.” 1 likes