Restaurant Confidential

Restaurant Confidential

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In May 2001, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) broke a major pizza story on the ABC television program 20/20 and once again captured front-page headlines, just as it did when it released studies on movie popcorn and take-out Chinese food.

In Restaurant Confidential, Dr. Michael F. Jacobson and his CSPI team do for sit-down meals what their Fast-Food Guid...more
Published May 6th 2002 by Workman Publishing Company

Valerie
A friend lent me this book, and it has ruined my blissful ignorance of eating out in restaurants, though may save my life down the line. I had no idea how many calories those "snacks" in the mall had - they aren't really snacks at all, but full meals (and in some cases a full day's worth of calories and two day's worth of fat!)

Really, I did learn a lot about how to choose more healthfully off of a menu and how to keep my heart healthy. Still, I'm going to miss eating cheesecake!
Barbara
This book didn't hang together for me. Each chapter seemed to be snippets of Bourdain's life and restaurant experiences. The purpose, I think, was for shock value but was too over the top to come across as believable. A restaurant kitchen comes across much like scenes from the TV show ER. I certainly hope not every restaurant kitchen (staff and procedures) in the world functions as the ones portrayed in this book.
Valerie Sherman
This had interesting information, but it's a little outdated and I like the format of "Eat This, Not That" better. Still, it convinced me that I probably eat too much saturated fat (cheese) and cholesterol (eggs) despite my relatively healthy diet.
Mikaela
Wow. I thought I ate pretty healthy already, but this book proved me wrong. I couldn't believe some of the numbers in this book. I reccommend everyone read this that doesn't want to die before their 40th birthday from a heart-attack.
Saralyn
It had some good information. I didn't really like the way it was set up. It seemed to repeat a lot of information because of it. But I learned some good things from it. Just because a meal looks healthy does not make it so.
Kelly
I would only recommend Restaurant Confidential if you're very interested in the caloric content of restaurant food. Prepare to be feel like you'll never be able to eat again.
Gregg
And yet I still eat there. Sigh.
Shannon Rochester
Shannon Rochester marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Abilasha S
Abilasha S marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Ro_runner
Ro_runner marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
May
May marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Lexi
Lexi added it
Mar 03, 2013
Nschwart
Nschwart marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Rachel Schreiber
Rachel Schreiber marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2012
James Turner
James Turner marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Six Arguments for a Greener Diet: How a Plant-Based Diet Could Save Our Health and Environment What Are We Feeding Our Kids? Marketing Madness: A Survival Guide For A Consumer Society Earth System Science: From Biogeochemical Cycles to Global Changes (International Geophysics) The Completely Revised and Updated Fast-Food Guide: What's Good, What's Bad, and How to Tell the Difference