Start by marking “Restaurant Confidential” as Want to Read:
Restaurant Confidential

Restaurant Confidential

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In May 2001, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) broke a major pizza story on the ABC television program 20/20 and once again captured front-page headlines, just as it did when it released studies on movie popcorn and take-out Chinese food.

In Restaurant Confidential, Dr. Michael F. Jacobson and his CSPI team do for sit-down meals what their Fast-Food Guid
Published May 6th 2002 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Restaurant Confidential, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restaurant Confidential

Valerie
May 15, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
A friend lent me this book, and it has ruined my blissful ignorance of eating out in restaurants, though may save my life down the line. I had no idea how many calories those "snacks" in the mall had - they aren't really snacks at all, but full meals (and in some cases a full day's worth of calories and two day's worth of fat!)

Really, I did learn a lot about how to choose more healthfully off of a menu and how to keep my heart healthy. Still, I'm going to miss eating cheesecake!
Barbara
Oct 19, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok
This book didn't hang together for me. Each chapter seemed to be snippets of Bourdain's life and restaurant experiences. The purpose, I think, was for shock value but was too over the top to come across as believable. A restaurant kitchen comes across much like scenes from the TV show ER. I certainly hope not every restaurant kitchen (staff and procedures) in the world functions as the ones portrayed in this book.
Valerie Sherman
Jan 06, 2011 Valerie Sherman rated it liked it
This had interesting information, but it's a little outdated and I like the format of "Eat This, Not That" better. Still, it convinced me that I probably eat too much saturated fat (cheese) and cholesterol (eggs) despite my relatively healthy diet.
Mikaela
Aug 29, 2012 Mikaela rated it it was amazing
Wow. I thought I ate pretty healthy already, but this book proved me wrong. I couldn't believe some of the numbers in this book. I reccommend everyone read this that doesn't want to die before their 40th birthday from a heart-attack.
Saralyn
Jul 10, 2008 Saralyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
It had some good information. I didn't really like the way it was set up. It seemed to repeat a lot of information because of it. But I learned some good things from it. Just because a meal looks healthy does not make it so.
Kelly
Jul 06, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I would only recommend Restaurant Confidential if you're very interested in the caloric content of restaurant food. Prepare to be feel like you'll never be able to eat again.
Gregg
Dec 08, 2007 Gregg rated it liked it
Shelves: health
And yet I still eat there. Sigh.
Willie O
Willie O marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Elizabeth Clor
Elizabeth Clor rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Eileen McMaster
Eileen McMaster rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Rebecca Radnor
Rebecca Radnor rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Mike Lichtenberg
Mike Lichtenberg marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Jay
Jay added it
Jan 13, 2016
Tr
Tr rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Debbie Powers
Debbie Powers rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Christina Boodhan Juras
Christina Boodhan Juras marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Jan 26, 2016
Kirstjen
Kirstjen rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Shannon Rochester
Shannon Rochester marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014