Start by marking “Kingdom's Call (Kingdom, #4)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom's Call (Kingdom, #4)

Kingdom's Call (Kingdom #4)

A sworn enemy of the Prince vows to eliminate his Followers.
Until the Prince saves his life…

For generations the Noble Knights have been in service to the King. Following a strict code of conduct, they preserve the peace in Chessington, the King’s chosen city, and rule its citizenry. Sir Gavin is a young and promising Noble Knight, devoted to King and Code.

Then a peasant d
Published May 15th 2007 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom's Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom's Call

Kendra Ardnek
I actually liked this one. Much better than the previous volumes, probably because there wasn't twelve Biblical characters crammed into one, and the main character had actual growth.
Rachel
The allegorical story of Paul and his salvation...it was moving and helped me to see the story of Paul and and a glimpse of what his life could have been like before his experience on the road to Damascus. Honestly I never really *got* Paul's story, though his words in the Bible have helped me more than on one occasion, but hearing Gavin's story as a parallel to Paul's opened my eyes to see what it must have been like for a man who sought out the lives God's people to do them harm and then to ...more
Tashawna
My mom is still reading these books aloud. :) This one was based Saul\Paul's story, and was a pretty good story. :)
Anne Hamilton
Jan 28, 2016 Anne Hamilton rated it liked it
At last I feel mostly at ease with a book in this series. The writing has improved but that's not the greatest advance. This is an allegory of the life of Saul aka Paul the apostle. Within that context, the savage sword fights and violent single combat works - at least generally speaking. I'm still uncomfortable with the 'Jesus figure' wielding a sword, even if he does simply disarm others with his magnificent skills. I wasn't quite comfortable with the 'Stephen figure' wielding a sword either.

T
Sydney
Oct 19, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
These books are getting better or I'm just getting more intrigued by the story. This book has really made the story of Paul come alive to me and has filled me with a passion to follow "the Prince" and live for him everyday.
Rachael Steele
Dec 09, 2015 Rachael Steele rated it it was amazing
Not my favorite out of them, but still amazing!
Amy Lane
Pretty great, though a little to graphic for the ages I think this book is reaching out to. At least when I read it I thought it was graphic, and that was probably around the time I was 13ish.

PLEASE READ THIS: However, this book has some good scripture oriented plot that gets good (and some Christian) messages across through the fictional world.
Jessica
Dec 08, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Yet another great book by Chuck Black!

Kingdom's Call takes us on the journey of Sir Gavin - a noble knight serving under the leadership of King Kifus. Gavin serves his king with passion and believes himself to be noble and just but as time passes, he finds his values and allegiance to the king tested. Is Kifus truly as just and honorable a ruler as he claims to be or has Gavin only been blind to his leader's true intentions and actions toward the people of Arethtrae?

What I loved:

Everything! I ju
Bethany
Dec 03, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Kingdom's Call, which is the fourth book in the Kingdom Series and for me, was a much anticipated read since the events from the previous book continued to unwind in this story! As in Kingdom's Edge, this book features a new main character, Sir Gavin who symbolizes Saul/Paul in the Bible. This book is very interesting in the fact that it is almost a re-run of the previous book, but from the other perspective. Kingdom's Call is basically Kingdom's Edge {Book 3} which is about Jesus life and death ...more
Dylan Witzig
Feb 01, 2016 Dylan Witzig rated it it was amazing
"Kingdom's Call" by Chuck Black tells a story about how Cedric, a boy from the King's city of Chessington, became one of the most trusted Noble Knights. Cedric, through hard work and dedication along with the most powerful knights in the force, had gained trust and respect from those above him who had trained him and admired how much he had worked at the art of the sword. All of this work was for the King, to finish what he started, to fight other kingdoms and deliver the remaining people of His ...more
Gloria
Sep 26, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who are learning about the Bible and its characters
This is the fourth book in a six book series.
The author writes looking back from a point in the future about a particular knight, Gavin, who is meant to represent the apostle Paul. The story follows the adventures and conversion of Gavin, giving a different perspective on the events in Kingdom's Edge, and continuing to follow Gavin in his escape and training.

The fifth book will continue to follow Gavinaugh.

The questions and answers are rather straightforward in following who certain characters
Andrea
Jul 12, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Honestly I have cherished this series that my son and I have read together. However I am turning the reigns over to my son who reads faster that I do at this point. He will be finishing the series solo and beginning on the next books by Chuck Black on his own. I feel confident in letting him read these as I have found them to be in line with the Bible and God- Honoring. It will be neat to see what he thinks of them. I am sad, but at the same time excited that he is ready for these. Now we may ...more
Katie
Nov 23, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
I liked watching Gavin, going from a guy so sure of his persecution of the Knights of the Prince, to doubts, to conversion. Very neat journey. The first half of the book was a bit tedious, as the reader has already read about the Prince's time in the kingdom in the previous book. But Kingdom's Call shows it from Gavin's perspective, one of the knights who persecuted the Prince and his people.

The end of this book is the beginning of Gavinaugh, and I look forward to diving into the next book to re
Lily
Oct 28, 2014 Lily rated it really liked it
*Sniff* I loved this. What a beautiful message this story has! The Prince displays Jesus's love, grace, and mercy so well! Especially as he reaches out to a horrible knight named Gavin (PAUL!~) who's the bad guy and main character that you have to FOLLOW THROUGH MOST OF THE BOOK AND EMBRACE HIS EVIL DEEDS. I loved how Gavin suddenly changed from being bad to good, as soon as the Prince came into his life and showed him love.~ I loved that part sooo much! The story of Paul was always one of my ...more
Abigail Rasmussen
This book, the 4th in the Kingdom series, retells many of the stories from the previous book but from the perspective of one who is not on the side of the Prince. Sir Gavin, is a man zealous for the King, but does not believe the Prince and fights against him. He persecutes many of the Prince's followers until one day...

Similar to the story of Apostle Paul from the Bible, Kingdom's Call is filled with sword fights, intense battles, and passionate souls.

Anne Gazzolo
Jun 01, 2015 Anne Gazzolo rated it really liked it
The best in the series, so far at least. Still have two books to go. Loved Gavin and his journey. Some of the same events occur in the third of this series, but from a different point of view. Seeing things from the viewpoint of those opposed to the stranger was more interesting than the previous volume that showed things through the eyes of the allies.
Christy Reed
Dec 16, 2014 Christy Reed rated it really liked it
Even better than the third book. I really enjoyed the story and Mr. Black's writing style. Based off of the book of ACTS in the Bible, KINGDOM'S CALL follows the adventures of Sir Gavin, who takes on the name of Gavinaugh after meeting the Prince. I enjoyed reading this story very much, and I recommend it if you like Biblical allegories.
Joshua Castillo
Mar 23, 2012 Joshua Castillo rated it it was amazing
Kindom's Call (book 4 in Chuck Black's Kingdom Series) was a wonderful book because it talked about one noble knight that persecuted the stranger (which symbolizes the crucifixion of Jesus on the cross). I think the noble knight represents Paul from the Bible. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone, especially 11 year old boys like me and those who do not know Christ.
Meadow Frisbie
Mar 04, 2013 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tweens
Shelves: fantasy, midieval
When Sir Gavin is fataly wounded in Battle..he encounters who can help his life and heart.

The series has a very unique twist in Christian Allegory. I have really enjoyed the plots and discovering what it compares to in life and the Bible.
Abigail Averill
Jul 27, 2014 Abigail Averill rated it it was amazing
When my mother purchased this series, I was only ten or eleven, still being home schooled by her, this series inspired me to continue pursuing my faith, even in adversity from my peers when I started public school the story is beautiful, exiting, and definitely a good read.
Angela
Jul 10, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 10+
Although not as fast-paced as the other books in the series, Kingdom's Call was just as intriguing. It was really interesting to get a different view of the events from the previous book, as well as of who Gavin represented. Another awesome book from Chuck Black!
Nathan
Dec 04, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it
The Literary Maidens
Jan 17, 2014 The Literary Maidens rated it it was amazing
Madi's Rating: 5 stars

Bethany's Rating: 5 stars. Bethany's Review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Austin
Jan 26, 2013 Austin rated it liked it
Shelves: knights
This book was short and took me about an our to get through. I didn't like it as much as the others but it was still good.
Ashley Stallings
It's a pretty good book. I would have liked it much better if it wasn't summer reading and I didn't have to stop every 15 seconds to add something to my character list.
Hannah
Apr 19, 2012 Hannah added it
My favourite book in the Kingdom series. Well... this one and Kingdom's Quest because they kinda join on.
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Bub
Bub rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Emilie Sulik
Emilie Sulik rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Gabriel
Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Annison's Risk (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #3)
  • Masters & Slayers (Tales of Starlight, #1)
  • The Bridge
  • Shadow in the Deep (Binding of the Blade #3)
  • Hostage Lands (Heroes & History #1)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Mystery of the Silver Coins (Viking Quest, #2)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
202312
Chuck Black first wrote Kingdom’s Edge to inspire his children to read the Bible with renewed zeal. This captivating expanded parable led him to write the Old Testament allegories, Kingdom’s Dawn, Kingdom’s Hope, Kingdom’s Call, and Kingdom’s Quest. Chuck's currents works include the Knights of Arrethtrae series, Call to Arms, and his series in progress, Wars of the Realm.

Chuck is a former F-16 fi
More about Chuck Black...

Kingdom (6 books)
  • Kingdom's Dawn (Kingdom, #1)
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • Kingdom's Edge (Kingdom, #3)
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • Kingdom's Reign (Kingdom, #6)

“Let go of your past, and look to Mine, where I died for you. Yield to Me, and I will make you a true Knight of the Prince.” 12 likes
“Look into my eyes...' the Prince said. I have been calling you. The peace you seek you will find if you follow Me.” 11 likes