Start by marking “Mindfreak: Secret Revelations” as Want to Read:
Mindfreak: Secret Revelations

Mindfreak: Secret Revelations

The hottest magician in years takes us behind–the–scenes of his hit A&E show and offers secret tips to 25 illusions you won't see anywhere else.

Criss Angel is poised to take the magic world by storm. He had his first 1–hour special on ABC in '01, headlined Madison Square Garden's annual Halloween special a year later to an audience of 60,000, performed in front of 75,0
Published April 24th 2007 by It Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mindfreak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindfreak

Aug 17, 2007 Dina rated it liked it
Favorite Quotes Include:

"Whenever I need to silence my inner thoughts, I grab my iPod. I immediately found two of my favorite Korn songs, "Right Now" and "Alone I Break," and began to psych myself up."

"I think of myself as a ninja in every area of my life."

"My newfound celebrity had its perks too. I recently got pulled over for running a red light (I won't say in what city). It was completely my fault. When I opened the door of my lambo the officers were shocked to see me step out of the car.
Jun 10, 2009 Anita rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
First, what I really like about Criss is that he actively educates people about the difference between reality and supernatural/paranormal claims, which he maintains are simply false and used to exploit people and get them to part from their money. He does dedicate a few good pages to this end starting in chapter 9 titled "Don't Believe Your Eyes".

As for the rest of the book, the first half is basically a gushing tribute to his family as he traces his trajectory from childhood to his current ca
Oct 29, 2007 R. added it
Recommends it for: halflings, clerics, footpads, gelatinous cubes
Shelves: unfinishedreads
Yeah. Yeah. You wanna fight about it? Didn't think so.

*disappears in a floof of ash/reappears on roof*

So, anyways, the magic world needs a fresh hero, now that David Copperfield has, uh, well, whatever the FBI is poking around in his warehouse for.

*walks down side of house*

But, you know, Copperfield made the Great Wall of China disappear, so I wouldn't expect very much, you know, progress on behalf of the investigators.

*holds out arms, rises into air to sub-Korn instrumental...disappears*

On a
Jan 08, 2013 Blackcatmoon66 rated it it was amazing
For me, I could really care less about his magic, what drew me to Criss was his passion for life and the ways he chooses to view things. A beautiful soul, with a heart of passion, and not just for magic.This book is really great for anyone wanting to learn about finding your inner strength.
I really enjoyed the first half of the book, but skipped over the 40 magic tricks that constitute the second half. Criss comes across as both an extraordinary and humble person as he describes his personal history and his obsessive efforts to perfect his "demonstrations" - as he calls his magic events. His fearlessness and drive for excellence are inspiring.
Jul 20, 2016 Matthew rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This book is mostly about Criss's hard work ethic and his attitude of being able to overcome anything. When focused on these topics the book can be repetitive.

There is a big section on his demonstration where he hung from 4 skin hooks from 2 helicopters, otherwise there are only brief mentions of the other demonstrations. This book is more about Criss's general thoughts towards his art than it is about the play-by-play of creating and performing a show.

Things I like: he includes famil
M. Hickmon
Mar 02, 2014 M. Hickmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a huge fan of Chris, but was given this book by someone who knew just enough about me to know I had a passing interest in sleight of hand. I cracked this book, expecting to skim the tricks in the back more than to read his life story. However, the straightforward writing style made me feel like Chris probably actually wrote it himself, and I found myself being pulled in. I read this some years back and what I still remember is Chris announcing as a teen or young man that it was his drea ...more
Hong Wong
Criss Angel wrote this because he wanted to inspire the younger generation to achieve there goals of the quest of there journey what that dream in your head.In the book when the author was writing this."Martha felt in need to write this book feeling the wisdom he was telling". "Criss Angel said there was no guideboook i could growing up that could possible have thought me about success".Criss angel said life is about lessons if you eat so much you will gain weight,if you lift 5 times a week you ...more
I bought this book thinking it'd be an introduction to the world of magic and illusion. While there are 40 quick and easy magic tricks in the back, with detailed explanations and very good photographs to explain how the slight of hand tricks are done, the bulk of the book is a Criss Angel memoir. As I didn't know much about him, I enjoyed learning more about his growing up and his rise to fame, as well as his personal ideals, goals, and commitment to his art.
Mar 30, 2008 James rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. After reading it, it gave me so much inspiration to perform magic and get better at it. Criss Angel is my favorite magician and performer. He's able to connect with the audience more than anyone else. For him it's more than just showing people cool tricks.

I recommend this book to anyone who is a Criss Angel fan or is interested in magic.
Nov 18, 2009 Kitt-e-kat rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2007 Lyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the loyal
I admire his perseverance in pursuing his career and he's an amazing showman - but this was not written well. Repetitive.

Favorite quote - "I think of myself as a ninja in every area of my life."
Dec 02, 2008 TJ rated it liked it
Recommended to TJ by: Ryan and Monica got it for me for xmas last year!
I know some people think he's cheesy, and he is a times, but also I think that he is a very neat person! I enjoyed reading his book and find the whole "illusionist/mindfreak" thing very interesting. I love watching his show on tv. I have never seen anything like it. I think he's awesome!
Kerry Marks
Aug 01, 2012 Kerry Marks rated it it was amazing

Well, I think it's an amazing book! I love his shows, so when I found out he had a book I wanted to read it! It took ages to arrive because I live in England, but it was worth the wait!
Dec 06, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
He's amazing... one of a kind. This book lets you take a peek into his life, before and now. Even though he's an illusionist, he is also a heck of a writer. MINDFREAKY BOOK!
Sep 14, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
Love this man, of course I'm going to enjoy this book ;) But beyond that, I also LOVED learning the tricks he teaches at the end of the book!!! So much fun!!
Jun 06, 2011 Jihn marked it as to-read
Shelves: g
Apr 20, 2009 Dragon rated it it was amazing
It was interesting to learn what Criss did to achieve his goal. Also I loved how at the back of the book, he put in a couple of simple magic tricks that the people who read the book could learn.
Jan 16, 2016 Kassandra rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Criss angel and this was very interesting. I liked reading about his life growing up and I loved that at the end of the book it shows how to do some slight of hand tricks.
Dec 25, 2007 Randy rated it it was amazing
How could I not give this book five stars? My daughter works for Criss Angel and I have a huge crush on his oldest brother!
Alishia Johnson
Dec 14, 2008 Alishia Johnson added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Alishia by: criss angel
this guy is one of my idols. hes awesome....i am still reading this book but im really enjoying it alotim almost done with it and its like a biography but hes the one that wrote it
May 19, 2013 Dee rated it really liked it
Talented young man who worked very hard for his success while enduring life's struggles along the way.
Sep 08, 2016 Stephan rated it liked it
Not the best "here is my life" type of novel. I will say it was a breeze to get through because of its minimal amount of words per page.
Darren Roberts
Darren Roberts rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Dani rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Terri rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2008
Bret Crombie
Bret Crombie rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Kalynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2008
Ash Marie
Ash Marie rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2009
Danielle Chandler
Danielle Chandler rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Girls Next Door
  • Art and Artifice and Other Essays of Illusion
  • The Blueprint: How the New England Patriots Beat the System to Create the Last Great NFL Superpower
  • Stories from a Teacher
  • Best of Rivals: Joe Montana, Steve Young, and the Inside Story behind the NFL's Greatest Quarterback Controversy
  • Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference
  • The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology
  • Bear Grylls Great Outdoor Adventures: An Extreme Guide to the Best Outdoor Pursuits
  • Montana: The Biography of Football's Joe Cool
  • Baseball For Dummies
  • Houdini on Magic
  • Saban: The Making of a Coach
  • The Tom Clancy Companion (Revised)
  • The Life and Many Deaths of Harry Houdini
  • The Expert at the Card Table: The Classic Treatise on Card Manipulation
  • Black Ice: The Val James Story
  • Chess Openings: Traps And Zaps
  • Trotsky: Downfall Of A Revolutionary
Christopher Nicholas Sarantakos, better known by his stage name Criss Angel is an American of Greek descent. He is a magician, illusionist, musician, escapologist, and stunt performer. He is best known for starring in his own television show, Criss Angel Mindfreak.
More about Criss Angel...