Start by marking “Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies

Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In love with romance novels? You're not alone! Romance is today's most popular fiction genre, accounting for more than half of all mass market fiction sold. If you're looking to make a serious effort at writing a romance and getting it published in today's multifaceted markets, you need to learn as much as you can about this highly successful field--especially how to creat ...more
Published May 7th 2004 by Wiley Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies by Maggie HamandBlogging for Dummies by Brad HillPublic Speaking for Dummies by Malcolm KushnerSelf-Publishing for Dummies by Jason R. RichPiano for Dummies [With Play-Along] by Blake Neely
For Dummies Series
250th out of 286 books — 42 voters
How to Write Great Dialog by Dorothy May MercerWriting with Emotion, Tension, and Conflict by Cheryl St.JohnHow to Format Your Book by Dorothy May MercerOn Writing by Stephen KingHow to Write Sentences and Paragraphs in Your Novel by Dorothy May Mercer
Books about writing
40th out of 40 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin Klitzke
It's unfortunate that this book hasn't been updated in the past eight years. I assumed after thumbing through it in the bookstore that it would still be useful for my purposes, but shame on me for not thumbing through enough! The entire back third of the book is painfully outdated given how quickly the publishing industry has been changing over the past few years. Anyone who reads this book should be aware that a great deal of the book is out of date--styles, tastes, and the like have changed. S ...more
Lisa Annesley
You're not a dummie.

But perhaps you're an aspiring romance author and you're just dipping your toes into the waters of romance novel writing. Or maybe you've got a few manuscripts written and you're looking for some advice to improve your writing.

This book is for you.

Leslie Wainger took everything she learned as a romance editor for Harlequin/Silhouette/MIRA and turned it into a guide for romance novel writers. The beauty of Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies is that it is specific to romance n
Silvia
I have always loved writing stories but it got lost along the way. Then I discovered fanfiction (yes, and I am not ashamed of it) and thought this was a good way to worm myself back into a hobby that I though I had lost forever. Although I think I'm an OK enough writer for the internet platform I'm using, there's always things to learn and to improve and as we all know, practice makes perfect. I stumbled across this book through browsing and bought it without thinking twice.
What a good idea! It'
Steelwhisper
This is awkwardly outdated and it didn't, at all, sit well with me that the author came over as shaming authors in specific genres and sub-genres of romance.

No idea how old she is, but my grandmother used to be less stuffy, conventional and right-wing. Given that she is an editor of a major publisher you needn't wonder why a lot of romances out of these houses are so horrid.

Take this for instance:
So what’s the appeal of the tortured hero? Psychologists say that women are nurturers; they like to
Becky Black
A useful reference and a lively and entertaining read too. I'll keep this close to hand for reference.
Bogna Maslanka
It's an alright book, but it is very outdated. Specially when it comes to what a heroine should/shouldn't be and the publishing industry. I found it gross how stereotypical and sexist the "rules" for female characters were.

I still give the book three stars because it does have some very basic romance writing advice for someone who is just starting out.
Lexington
This book won't teach you how to write a romance novel, but it will teach you what to write and who the audience is as well as what they expect. Honestly, there isn't much information in this that can't be found online. Unless you have absolutely no idea what you're doing, it won't be of much help to you.
Tasneem
This is a fabulously helpful book that shows you the practicalities of writing romance. I had dipped into this book time and time again when struggling to write my work. It is a very useful tool and I can't recommend it enough. The guidelines are simple to understand and the tips so clearly laid out that it is impossible to not get a full and complete understanding of the key requirements.
Jen
Jul 02, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: writing
I've been working on romance novels off and on since I was a teenager. I picked this book up three or four years ago, and it has a permanent place on my bookshelf as a reference manual. While I agree that it does discuss the process of sitting down to actually write the novel more than the actual nitty details of writing, it does enable you to think about new ways of writing your novel.
Leonard
Mar 22, 2008 Leonard rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone starting out in writing and wants to actively publish something.
Shelves: lost-interest
This is interesting book if you're starting out in writing. It appears to give all the particulars when creating a Romantic Novel, but it feels like it concentrates on the process of getting the book out there, instead of what's being put into the book. It's very informative, but I had more fun with "On Romance Writing" by Leigh Michaels.
Michael
No, I'm not planning on writing a Harlequin. It was written by an/the executive editor at Harlequin Books. I wanted to see the break down and what drove the plot in a romance novel. Thought it would help me with another project I'm working on. It definitely did.
Jo Anne
Sep 28, 2008 Jo Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring writers
Recommended to Jo Anne by: n/a
This book gives you and easy and understandable guide to writing your movel. It teaches you how to plot, POV,write loves scene, which is really important if you are writing a romance.
I recommend this book to aspiring writers.
Amber LaShell
To see my full review, check out my examiner article. http://www.examiner.com/books-in-dall...
Christine (AR)
I keep going back to this one. Very basic in some respects, but that just makes it a good reference. The relationship building section is outstanding.
Xondra Day
Useful, but geared towards those wanting to break into the category romance business.
Theresa
The sections dealing with romantic characters are particularly useful.
Mary
I hope to one day thank the author in an acceptance speech!!
Lesley Ann
A good introductory text for beginner writers.
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Janarah
Janarah marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Denise
Denise is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Anne Hagan
Anne Hagan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Danny Tyran
Danny Tyran marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Adam Davis
Adam Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Adelaide Rose
Adelaide Rose is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • The Joy of Writing Sex: A Guide for Fiction Writers
  • Writing Children's Books for Dummies
  • Passionate Ink: A Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel
  • Writing Fiction for Dummies
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • Italian for Dummies [With CD]
  • Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet
Ravenshade (Tales of Alterra, The World That Is, #3) For Your Heart Only For Your Heart Only