Start by marking “The Journey” as Want to Read:
The Journey

The Journey

The new bestseller from the country's number one storyteller is a deeply moving and powerful tale of love and courage and a sacrifice no man should be asked to make. Three strangers are thrown together by chance. It's an encounter which is destined to change all of their lives for ever. When Ben Morris comes to the aid of Lucy Baker and her daughter Mary, he is intrigued b ...more
Paperback
Published June 1st 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey

Sep 29, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
This is my first time reading a book by this author as part of my efforts to branch out from the standard authors that I normally read. And I was very NOT impressed. OK, so that's grammatically incorrect, but it expresses how I feel about it. I was trying to remember the gist of the book so that I could comment on it, and it actually took me awhile to remember!

Ben takes his dog for walks everyday, and occasionally he ventures to the cemetery where there is a particular tombstone that piques his
Nat
Apr 18, 2012 Nat rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Josephine Cox fans
Shelves: women-s-fiction
This was written in typical Josephine Cox style - in other words very well written. I found it at times to seem quite "cheesy" - as certain events and how they played out didn't seem believable. The opening story of an elderly/mature lady and her daughter meeting a stranger in a graveyard and the subsequent relationship/s that develop don't ring true in modern society - either rural or urban. The overall background story, that of the sacrifice of a man to ensure a happy future for his family cou ...more
Ann
May 31, 2015 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Josephine Cox novel I have read and will probably be the last. It was an easy enough read but I found the plot line pretty unbelievable particularly the actions taken by Barney.
Ria
Apr 19, 2015 Ria rated it it was amazing
A wonderful drama telling the dual stories of the Lucy Baker the Davidson family.
When Lucy is left high and dry pregnant and thrown out of the family home after a quick tumble with the womanising Edward Trent she takes up with her friend Bridget who runs a local establishment where ladies "entertain."
But when Edward makes a sudden reappearance and Lucy thinks its a longed for reunion for her and her son to make a family life her dreams are shattered when after a bad fall where Lucy is left uncon
Paula Dembeck
Aug 30, 2015 Paula Dembeck rated it it was ok
Ben Morris comes to the aid of Lucy Barker and her daughter Mary during one of their frequent visits to the grave of Barney Davidson in the local graveyard. Later at their home, Ben learns the story of Barney and Lucy’s past and more fully understands the inscription on his gravestone: He Made The Greatest Sacrifice Of All.

The story is really Lucy’s life story, how in tragic circumstances she was taken in by Barney, his wife and children. There she was happy with her young son Jamie, who later d
Carmen8094
Aug 21, 2014 Carmen8094 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romanzi-e-saggi
Il viaggio è scritto senza eleganza, con troppe ripetizioni che annoiano e rendono poco o per niente interessante andare avanti nella lettura.
La scrittrice non lascia che siano semplicemente le azioni e le parole dei suoi protagonisti a costruire la storia, ma è sempre lì pronta a sottolineare i motivi di quel gesto o di quell'affermazione, anche se sono del tutto palesi, o se lo stesso "chiarimento" c'è già stato più e più volte.
L'ambientazione è piacevole -la campagna inglese-; la storia non è
LittleBookDruid
Feb 26, 2014 LittleBookDruid rated it liked it
All I can say is, it was a good book. The start was really overwhelming, at the middle, though the story got slow, it was still enjoyable. Since the writer always kept the element of suspense. Barney's sacrifice, though not much interesting and a bit pointless if you ask me. Really make me intrigued. Again by the way writer wrote it. Cox's talent as a storyteller is remarkable. I am pretty exited to read Journey's end. Since in the end of this one, I really didn't felt like it ended. In fact, I ...more
Marty
Aug 05, 2013 Marty rated it it was ok
Very annoyed with this author. Read the book - did not care much for her amateurish style, especially in early chapters where she used redundant, stereotypical "romance novel" prose. I should have just abandoned it, but not having another book close at hand, kept reading. To give the author credit, the story picked up about 2/3 of the way through and i actually became interested in the outcome. Reached the end of the fourth segment, expecting the conclusion, and read "read on for an exclusive pe ...more
Mrs
Jun 17, 2015 Mrs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jo Cox
Jan 31, 2016 Jo Cox rated it it was ok
!st time that I've read one of her books, will probably be the last. Whilst the characters were well written, the story needed more (became a bit unbelieveable) ....... Enjoyed it to start with, but by the last 5 chapters just wanted it to end. Thought it was a week ending.
Sue
Jun 04, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
There was one part of this book that seemed to slow down, almost seemed unnecessary for the story. Maybe it was because I had been reading all day but by the end it had picked up speed again and I could conclude it was worth sticking with. A good overall read.
Tanya Pim
Mar 28, 2016 Tanya Pim rated it it was ok
Terrible!!
The only reason I kept on reading was cause I was so curious to know what the heck this man did!! All this hype leading up to this big secret and what a dissapointment. You can literally just start at the last few pages of the book and you wouldn't have missed anything.
Zara
Feb 23, 2014 Zara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was my second time reading this book...the story is sweet and is quite realistic. I did not realise there was a second book so will be popping out to see how it all ends x
Debbie Southwell
Dec 27, 2015 Debbie Southwell rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and loved the fact that it wasn't predictable.
H.M. Flath
Sep 05, 2015 H.M. Flath rated it liked it
A disappointing book but I will look forward to reading Journey's End.
Claudette Williams
Sep 30, 2014 Claudette Williams rated it really liked it
Loved this book, such an easy read yet gripping
Lea Logie
how do I get the read this on a kindle
Melanie Harper
Jun 03, 2016 Melanie Harper rated it really liked it
Good
Margaret Cox
Jan 20, 2014 Margaret Cox rated it liked it
A quick, easy read yet one that involves you in the lives of many characters through several decades.
Abbe
Jul 15, 2012 Abbe rated it liked it
Really good read, took a while to get into so it almost felt like I was reading it just to get to the end, but the more I read the more intreegued I became. I was disappointed by the end when I realised not all the answers would be discovered and had to rush out to the shops the second I had read it to get the follow on book 'journeys end'. Needs patience but is well worth the read.
Gillieporter
Oct 15, 2012 Gillieporter rated it really liked it
This is part one of a two-parter spanning several years of the characters in the book.
I suppose it's a chick lit, yes , but well written and a good story. It's truly hard to believe the special "sacrifice" which one man makes for his family but at least it has a happy ending - when you finally get to the end of Part Two - called Journey's End.
Jun 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Rather disappointing.
Not the style of book I usually read, but I thought I'd give it a go...
The author tries to be "deep" - and fails miserably. No sympathy for the characters. Despite all this, I wanted to carry on reading it.
A very misleading story-line, but a good insight into life at the start of the 20th century.
Toni
Aug 08, 2011 Toni rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this - an escape type book, fairly predictable but very nice descriptions - of peoples personalities and the country side! Easy to imagine your self there at the scene, a very nice pick up and put down book, and has encouraged me to read the sequel 'Journeys End'
Angel Serrano
Un drama de los años 30 del siglo XX se revisa en los cincuenta con la perspectiva de la edad. En la Inglaterra de entre guerras, unos campesinos pueden cumplir su sueño y emigrar a América, pero la enfermedad del padre provocará sacrificios extraordinarios.
Stephanie Dahlberg
Mar 13, 2013 Stephanie Dahlberg rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this novel because I found the situations and characters too stiff and unbelievable. The writing seemed to be stilted and I agree with another reviewer who characterized it as "cheesy". I knew exactly what she meant!
Tally
Dec 21, 2008 Tally rated it it was ok
Jeanette
Jul 06, 2014 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Josephine Cox, which I read a while ago. I have loved all her books and not many left that I haven't got around to reading yet. I have since read Journey's End, which was also excellent.
Ellen
Dec 30, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from my mum and straight after reading it I wanted to read the follow-up.
Got really involved in it.
The storyline and characters were well thought out.
Would definitely recommend this one.
Sharon Reeves
Aug 27, 2013 Sharon Reeves rated it really liked it
I did really like this book, one of her better books. I admit, a bit cheesy and unbelieveable in places, but you just have to let your mind go a little, and enjoy the story.
Lizzee
Feb 26, 2009 Lizzee rated it really liked it
I loved it - a touching story, even if it did remind me slightly of Far From the Madding Crowd - but I think that was just the setting.
  • Mermaids Singing
  • Azur Like It
  • Home is Where the Heart Is
  • Hidden Talents
  • Every Woman Knows A Secret
  • The Heart of the Family (Campion family, #3)
  • Lost And Found
Josephine Cox was born in Blackburn, one of ten children. At the age of sixteen, Josephine met and married her husband Ken, and had two sons. When the boys started school, she decided to go to college and eventually gained a place at university but was unable to take this up as it would have meant living away from home. Instead, she went into teaching – and started to write her first full-length n ...more
More about Josephine Cox...