Start by marking “Dancing with Joy: 99 Poems” as Want to Read:
Dancing with Joy: 99 Poems

Dancing with Joy: 99 Poems

In his collection Risking Everything, Housden addressed love’s many aspects. Now, in Dancing with Joy, he assembles 99 poems from 69 poets that celebrate the many colors of joy. Anything can be a catalyst for joy, these poems reveal.

For Wislawa Szymborska, the catalyst is a dream; for Robert Bly, being in the company of his ten-year-old son; for Gerald Stern, it is a grap
Published March 13th 2007 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with Joy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with Joy

Cheryl
Oct 08, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
I think it is fitting and necessary and not at all confusing to read these after a book that was against joy; a way to balance and center myself. Housden says, we are ashamed to be happy. It is more intellectual and stimulating to be melancholy, and we should reclaim happiness and joy, whereas Professor Wilson in Against Happiness railed against the supremacy of the happy types. It can’t be both, can it? Wendell Berry writes a poem, asking, “why all the embarrassment/about being happy?” Housden ...more
Sue
Dec 28, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book. With terrorism, natural disasters, and all the sorrows that can enter one's life, it helps to read poetry that is beautiful and uplifting. Housden has compiled a collection of poems that celebrate the many colors of joy. He includes classic poems by ancient masters, among them W.B. Yeats and E.E. Cummings, translations of poets such as Rumi and Neruda, and favorites by modern poems such as William Stafford, Mary Oliver, and Sharon Olds. Each poem is a bright light and a ...more
Nancy Nusser
Sep 27, 2008 Nancy Nusser rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy the poetry collected by Roger Housden. This book is filled with poems of joy, happiness and the love of life. It is uplifting and introduces me to poets I have not read before.
Kathleen Kelly
Jul 09, 2009 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it
If you want a collection of poems ( by various authors) that reminds you of all of the various fleeting and lasting moments that bring us joy in life, even in the midst of sorrow, this is it.
Bradley
Jul 13, 2015 Bradley rated it it was amazing
A fun collection that is accessible. Spans from BC to current day. These poems are great to feel the life bubbling from the world.
Kat
Feb 28, 2008 Kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Nice premise, but this book disappoints. I hoped to be refreshed from the customarily dour stances taken by many poets, but a lot of the poems in this collection are lackluster.
Edward Kidder
Jan 26, 2008 Edward Kidder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A poetry anthology that aims for outstanding poetry, mostly 20th century American, that inspires and dwells in wonder. It hit the mark for me.
Wendy
Jul 03, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Sometimes I read short stories to change it up. This time, I read poetry, which was refreshing and cleansing. I liked this collection which spanned time, style and tone. And it made me smile.
April
April rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Monica Lavia
Monica Lavia rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
kimberly
kimberly rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2011
Tess Olson
Tess Olson rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Wendy Marceron
Wendy Marceron rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Mo
Mo rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2008
Rochelle Melander
Rochelle Melander rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Cathann
Cathann rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Rob Westerman Jr.
Rob Westerman Jr. rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Thea
Thea rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2010
Kathee
Kathee rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
Margaret
Oct 09, 2010 Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I like these themed anthologies. I read poems and poets that I might not choose on my own.
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2010
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2015
Lea Shull
Lea Shull rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2011
Janet Still FNP
Janet Still FNP rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Mali
Mali rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Fjain
Fjain rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Gary Smith
Gary Smith rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2008
Ilana Hamilton
Ilana Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Roger Housden is the author of some twenty books of non fiction, including the best selling Ten Poems series. His new book, SAVED BY BEAUTY: ADVENTURES OF AN AMERICAN ROMANTIC IN IRAN, comes out on May 17 2011 with Broadway Books.
More about Roger Housden...

“Of course! the path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it.” 0 likes