Start by marking “The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2” as Want to Read:
The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2

The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2 (The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Shadow Over Innsmouth Once a normal sea town, now Innsmouth is home to a strange hybrid race--half-human, half-fish. Worshipers of Dagon, the townsfolk are preparing to welcome their god to Earth, at least thats the conclusion of a secret government investigation. One of the finest stories by H.P. Lovecraft, recognized the world over as one of the greatest horror stori ...more
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by Audio Realms

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2

The main story in this collection of two, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", gives an excellent creepy chill while maintaining a little distance for the horrible subjects it is about. Highly descriptive. I swear I smelled a fishy odor while reading it... The audio was done in an appropriately horror-ly manner. The second story was told in about 5 minutes and was forgettable in comparison.
I probably would have been fine stopping at the first volume of The Dark Worlds of HP Lovecraft, but I'm glad I didn't.

Volume 2's stories were just as interesting as the first volume. They followed along the same themes as the first volume: horrible sea creatures and primitive or alien mythology. I love Lovecraft because I can't quite figure out of these creatures are supposed to be extraterrestrial or just secluded and hidden Gods of this Earth. I love his stories, and This book was definitely
These are the first two stories I've read by Lovecraft, and they were both eerie and strange. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" takes a few paragraphs to get invested in the story, but it proves to leave haunting images in your mind and a dreadful smell in your nostrils. Innsmouth is an imaginary town in New England, near the fictional town of Arkham, and nobody likes the people or culture of Innsmouth. Likewise, the Innsmouth natives don't like strangers, so when the narrator takes a trip to Innsmout ...more
Gregg Wright
It's a bit surprising that I haven't yet read an H.P. Lovecraft story that I didn't like. All that I've read so far were were either good, great, or incredible. This volume contains one good story and one great one. It makes a lot of sense to see these two stories paired up.

Dagon is a good, albeit brief, little story about a man who becomes marooned on a newly-formed island, only to discover something terrifying there. If you read Dagon first, it works as a kind of ominous prelude to The Shadow
I reviewed Volume 1 and have similar views on Volume 2. I love it. I Can't rave enough about his use of language. The Shadow Over Innsmouth was a great tale, full of suspense and unknown horror ending with a great and unexpected twist.
Dagon I was a little less taken with as it was such a short story. But it still is a great story to be appreciated.
I am addicted to H.P. Lovecraft.
Favourite Lovecraftian text. Lovely. Decent characters. Decent story. Again, Wayne June is a lovely narrator.
This volume is almost entirely "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", with "Dagon" forming a very short story at the end. A major theme here is the notion that no matter how terrifying a monster is, a different kind of fear sets in when one realizes that they share in the monstrousness. As the David Bowie lyric goes:

"...Then I ran across a monster who was sleeping by a tree
And I looked and frowned and the monster was me..."
This volume contains "The Shadow over Innsmouth" and "Dagon". Dagon is a short story, limited in scope, but Innsmouth is a full novella, well developed and entertaining. Lovecraft was a very good writer, though his imagination is what gets notice. I imagine these stories were also well researched. As with other stories, these, published in the 20s, have had a great influence on this genre since.
Jarrod Scarbrough
Another great collection, this one has "Dagon" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". I honestly don't think there is a Lovecraft story I do not like, but some are far superior to others. Innsmouth is one such story. It is definitely among my top 3 favorites of his! I cannot read the story without getting chills, it's THAT good! If you have not read this one, you must do so!
Andy Heyman
Wayne June is insanely good as the narrator of this collection of HP Lovecraft stories and novellas. His voice and characterizations are truly creepy and put you right into Lovecraft's stories in a way I never thought possible.

It is good enough for me to consider dropping some serious money on buying them instead of ritualistically checking them out from my library.
Fran G
I was amazed by how scared I became just by the description of the mood. When I put the book away I realized how the story isn't too scary after all, but the atmosphere changes everything.
Dec 30, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
There is something wrong in that dying town. People there have wide-spread eyes and mouths, and they just ain't right...
the narrator's voice is a good match for H.P. Lovecraft's stories
creepy things from the briny deep
I read this a while ago. Good stuff.
Dave marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
A Ball
A Ball added it
Oct 08, 2015
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Ryan added it
Sep 14, 2015
Nate added it
Sep 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...

The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft (8 books)
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1