Start by marking “The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2” as Want to Read:
The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2

The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2 (The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft #2)

Howard Phillips Lovecraft, has been hailed by literary critics as the inventor of modern horror, and a cultivating force behind such modern writers as Robert Bloch (Psycho), Wes Craven (The Craft, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream), and Stephen King (Pet Semetary, Carrie, Children of the Corn), just to name a few.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth - originally published in the winte
Audio CD, 3 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Audio Realms

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 2

Jay
Mar 20, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
The main story in this collection of two, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", gives an excellent creepy chill while maintaining a little distance for the horrible subjects it is about. Highly descriptive. I swear I smelled a fishy odor while reading it... The audio was done in an appropriately horror-ly manner. The second story was told in about 5 minutes and was forgettable in comparison.
Troy
Jun 04, 2017 Troy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Lovecraft is always amazing!
logankstewart
Oct 16, 2009 logankstewart rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, library, 2009-read
These are the first two stories I've read by Lovecraft, and they were both eerie and strange. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" takes a few paragraphs to get invested in the story, but it proves to leave haunting images in your mind and a dreadful smell in your nostrils. Innsmouth is an imaginary town in New England, near the fictional town of Arkham, and nobody likes the people or culture of Innsmouth. Likewise, the Innsmouth natives don't like strangers, so when the narrator takes a trip to Innsmout ...more
Julia O'Connell
Apr 14, 2016 Julia O'Connell rated it liked it
I love these tiny little audiobook collections. They're great for when you're just looking for something quick to read last-minute, as I was when I discovered I had to do several hours of mindless menial tasks at work last week. This audiobook contains two stories: The Shadow Over Innsmouth and Dagon.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is one of my favorite Lovecraft tales that I've read so far. This story's a long one, but it gives you time to get immersed in Lovecraft's alternate world of terrifying cr
Gregg
Mar 24, 2012 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a bit surprising that I haven't yet read an H.P. Lovecraft story that I didn't like. All that I've read so far were were either good, great, or incredible. This volume contains one good story and one great one. It makes a lot of sense to see these two stories paired up.

Dagon is a good, albeit brief, little story about a man who becomes marooned on a newly-formed island, only to discover something terrifying there. If you read Dagon first, it works as a kind of ominous prelude to The Shadow
Taylor
Apr 02, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it
I probably would have been fine stopping at the first volume of The Dark Worlds of HP Lovecraft, but I'm glad I didn't.

Volume 2's stories were just as interesting as the first volume. They followed along the same themes as the first volume: horrible sea creatures and primitive or alien mythology. I love Lovecraft because I can't quite figure out of these creatures are supposed to be extraterrestrial or just secluded and hidden Gods of this Earth. I love his stories, and This book was definitely
Jimmy
Feb 24, 2014 Jimmy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Norman Public Library
...is one of weird fiction's most celebrated authors. He is enshrined in the Library of America. Stephen King calls him "the twentieth century's greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale." The author of the novel "Psycho," Robert Bloch, once wrote, "Poe and Lovecraft are our two American geniuses of fantasy, comparable each to the other, but incomparably superior to all the rest who follow."
Sean
Mar 27, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it
This volume is almost entirely "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", with "Dagon" forming a very short story at the end. A major theme here is the notion that no matter how terrifying a monster is, a different kind of fear sets in when one realizes that they share in the monstrousness. As the David Bowie lyric goes:

"...Then I ran across a monster who was sleeping by a tree
And I looked and frowned and the monster was me..."
Lyn
Nov 10, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it
This volume contains "The Shadow over Innsmouth" and "Dagon". Dagon is a short story, limited in scope, but Innsmouth is a full novella, well developed and entertaining. Lovecraft was a very good writer, though his imagination is what gets notice. I imagine these stories were also well researched. As with other stories, these, published in the 20s, have had a great influence on this genre since.
John
Jun 05, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
I reviewed Volume 1 and have similar views on Volume 2. I love it. I Can't rave enough about his use of language. The Shadow Over Innsmouth was a great tale, full of suspense and unknown horror ending with a great and unexpected twist.
Dagon I was a little less taken with as it was such a short story. But it still is a great story to be appreciated.
I am addicted to H.P. Lovecraft.
Andy Heyman
Sep 13, 2010 Andy Heyman rated it it was amazing
Wayne June is insanely good as the narrator of this collection of HP Lovecraft stories and novellas. His voice and characterizations are truly creepy and put you right into Lovecraft's stories in a way I never thought possible.

It is good enough for me to consider dropping some serious money on buying them instead of ritualistically checking them out from my library.
Jarrod Scarbrough
Mar 21, 2014 Jarrod Scarbrough rated it it was amazing
Another great collection, this one has "Dagon" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". I honestly don't think there is a Lovecraft story I do not like, but some are far superior to others. Innsmouth is one such story. It is definitely among my top 3 favorites of his! I cannot read the story without getting chills, it's THAT good! If you have not read this one, you must do so!
Daniel D.
Nov 09, 2016 Daniel D. rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Dagon is really short, as all of his tales should be. It is good enough for its length. Shadow over Innsmouth is not that bad, but way too long. the prose has too much of a "just the facts mam" feeling.
Bernard
Jul 29, 2011 Bernard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
creepy things from the briny deep
Kenny
Mar 30, 2011 Kenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
the narrator's voice is a good match for H.P. Lovecraft's stories
Fran G
Oct 30, 2009 Fran G rated it really liked it
I was amazed by how scared I became just by the description of the mood. When I put the book away I realized how the story isn't too scary after all, but the atmosphere changes everything.
Matthew
Jun 07, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I read this a while ago. Good stuff.
Ed
Jan 16, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovecraft is a great author, wish he had produced more works.
Dann
Aug 30, 2014 Dann rated it really liked it
Favourite Lovecraftian text. Lovely. Decent characters. Decent story. Again, Wayne June is a lovely narrator.
Donald
Dec 30, 2007 Donald rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
There is something wrong in that dying town. People there have wide-spread eyes and mouths, and they just ain't right...
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
May 04, 2017
April
April rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Bjorn
Bjorn rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
Michael Clardy
Michael Clardy rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Jason Trent
Jason Trent rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...

The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft (8 books)
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1