Kids Knitting: Projects for Kids of all Ages

Kids Knitting: Projects for Kids of all Ages

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In fifteen easy projects, from bouncy bean bags to a rolled-edge sweater, author and knitting expert Melanie Falick teaches kids of all ages how to knit. Through step-by-step instructions and candy-colored illustrations, beginners learn the fundamentals: knitting tools, finger-knitting, and basic stitches such as knit, purl, mattress, overcast, embroidery, and stockinette....more
Published September 15th 2003 by Artisan (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Kids Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kids Knitting

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Awesomest books ever
88th out of 96 books — 17 voters
Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddThe Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe
Must-have Knitting Books
85th out of 133 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 29, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone learning how to knit - young or old!
Shelves: knitting, ya
When I decided I wanted to learn to knit - I had this brilliant idea to buy a kids knitting book to start out with. I had this book out all the time my first year or two knitting and I still pull it out and look at it once in awhile for reference or just to smile at the pages which are like old friends to me now. I have since bought this book for other new knitters and will probably continue to do so.
Phoebe
Jan 12, 2008 Phoebe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: crafttastic, ownit
One of my all-time favorite knitting book, although I wasn't a kid when I bought it! :^) This was possibly the first book I ever saw which showed photos of boys knitting. Easy to follow patterns, information about the origins of yarn, and inspirational photos to get kids excited about what they can make.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, child or adult, who shows an interest in knitting.
Candis
A really good starter for new (and slightly resistant) knitters. Great range of satisfying projects, and none of them are stereotypically feminine in form. Excellent one-pagers with explanations of abbreviations and sizing and yarn that I really appreciated as well. Useful as heck!
LeGrand
Aug 07, 2007 LeGrand rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people learning to knit
Shelves: knitting
i saw this author and a bunch of kids on martha stewart and decided that i too could learn to knit. The projects in this book are easy and the patterns are simple. It was an excellent book for a beginning knitter.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Feb 12, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: child and preteen knitters and their families
Recommended to Mollie *scoutrmom* by: Bev Pilarsek
The best how-to book I've seen aimed at teaching those under the age of 16 to knit. It is also good for the parents of such young knitters, even as young as age 5, whether the parents knit or not. Waldorf School families would like it too, as would Girl Scout leaders. The target market is probably pre-teens.

This is not just a collection of patterns for kids to wear, but a comprehensive guide for kids who want to learn something about knitting, even if they never make more than the first beanbag...more
Leslie
Another book I discovered while volunteering with Emerson Elementary School's Knitting Club. It has some fun patterns, but it would be better for more experienced knitters. There are great photos and illustrations and the directions are explicit and detailed. My favorite part of the book was the Poem to Knit By…

Under the fence
Catch the sheep
Back we come
Off we leap

It helped my young knitting friends remember the steps too making a stitch.
Knitology
In friendly prose, the author assumes nothing from the reader and explains everything you need to know to get started in knitting., such as tools, winding a skein ("rhymes with rain"), cool ways to keep track of needles, and where to buy yarn and what kinds. Finger knitting and spool knitting invite children to handle yarn easily. Preceding the many projects are directions for casting on, increasing, knitting in the round, binding off, and other skills of the experienced knitter, but these do no...more
Sally
My kids and I had a lot of fun with this book. We passed up most of the patterns (although they were simple and cute enough), and went straight for making knitting needles out of wooden dowels. I've had a lot of knitting experience since using this book to refresh my long-lost knowledge, and those 1/4" needles that I sharpened in the pencil sharpener and lovingly sanded and oiled are still my favorite to use.
Belcantomom
This was actually the book that taught me how to knit. It was clear and concise and completely non-intimidating because it was a kids book. I liked that it didn't just start with the scarf and i was able to make a hat and scarf for Zeke and some cute washcloths. It's almost all flat knitting, but lots of different projects to keep you interested.
Lisa Scovill
This is the first book I used to learn to knit from. The photos are beautiful, and the projects are excellent starter projects. My only complaint has been that the yarns used throughout the book are a bit pricey for the target audience. I'm not saying you have to learn on acrylic, but some big box store wool yarns should have been mentioned.
Camille
Oct 28, 2008 Camille rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to learn to knit
Shelves: knitting
After several unsuccessful attempts at knitting, this was the book that finally made it all click for me. The directions and great step by step illustrations made sense. The projects progress from simple to more challenging. And they are fun! Dying yarn with kool-aid, making beanbags and purses, even sweaters! Good for kids and adults!
Renee
This book helped me learn how to knit. Although I have read and looked at many knitting books since this one, this book is still my favorete when I'm attempting to teach friends how to knit. The illistrations make sense rather than the confusing ones in most "how to" books.
Anne
My son decided he wanted to learn to knit, so I bought this book and taught myself to knit from it in an afternoon. I showed him how to knit and he was not interested. I,on the other hand, was hooked. I passed this book on to a nine year old cousin who has loved it.
Quinn
Apr 21, 2011 Quinn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and adults who wish to learn to knit
Shelves: crafts
Adults who wish to begin knitting will appreciate this book as much as kids! Great diagrams, easy and useful projects. I borrowed this from my library, but I will be buying it to make it a permanent resident of my bookshelf.
Lia
May 02, 2010 Lia added it
Shelves: library
This is the book I learned knitting from! Got it from the library for the kids, and we followed the instructions and started knitting. The kids promptly forgot, but I kept it up, and they have since learned again.
M
I thought the instructions on knitting were great. And it seems really useful as a reference once I get past the initial learning. Wasn't super interested in the projects, though.
Mary
I think this book is really nice for younger knitters who are just learning. My daughter is really searching through it for patterns and trying to understand what she needs to do.
Nelly Paulina
this book is getting added to the home collection. perfect for beginning knitters (kid or adult). had fun starting some projects and shall make it through the entire book's worth.
Siobhan
A little too girly for my purposes. Was heartened when the boys in my knitting club wanted to make the shoulder bags and shoelaces. Maybe I'M the one who was a little too girly.
Ann Marie
Kool Aid died yarn--yay! This is a great book for beginning knitters of all ages. There are some fun hats and kitty and owl "puppets" as well as a marvelous, fat worm.
Linda
I love this book I think it's great for adults too I am a novice knitter and this book REALLY appeals. I often get it out of the library and would love to own it.
Amanda
I love the patterns in this book. They're very easy, and yet you can personalize them. For a creative child interested in knitting, that's key.
Gloria
Good basic book, with good projects for kids. Nice diagrams for finger kintting, etc. as well as projects for felting, carding wool, etc.
Sara
A good book for first time knitters. My daughter loves it. I love that there are photos of boys and girls inside knitting.
Kat
i retaught myself how to knit with this book, great visuals for seeing the process. excellent book for kids
Yvonne
My daughter has this book but she hasn't made anything out of it. It has great kid patterns in it.
Rachael Lauritzen
The best learn how to knit book that I've read. Definitely getting a copy for my kid.
Shannon
This is a very good knitting for beginner book, kid or adult.
Michelle
I continue to use this book as reference when working a piece.
Nicci
Great book for beginners and those that need a refresher
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Big Book of Knitting
Melanie Falick is the editorial director of STC Craft. She is a prolific and popular author of knitting books.
More about Melanie Falick...
Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice Knitting in America Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions America Knits