Start by marking “Operation Schneewolf” as Want to Read:
Operation Schneewolf

Operation Schneewolf

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Could Joseph Stalin have been murdered by an international hit team led by an American CIA agent and acting on orders from President Eisenhower? Fifty pages into this large and chewy first thriller by an Irish journalist, just published in paperback, you'll probably be: (a) totally convinced, or (b) so entranced by the characters, the perfect period details, and beautifull ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Lübbe (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Operation Schneewolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Operation Schneewolf

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This was a nice diversion with a better-than-average plot for a thriller of this type. There are a lot of twisty turns to hold your interest. It draws on an interesting premise: Stalin did not die naturally, he was murdered. Apparently his family did believe this. Who knows? Maybe it's true.

There are the usual implausibilities inherent in the genre. They always make for a more exciting plot. The Russians mostly come out looking like a bunch of bumbling butterfingers, when in reality they were f
L.
This book was amazing. I have read it three times and will read it again. It never stops, from page one right through to the end, and the reader is caught up in the conflict, the drama, and the subterfuge. This is perhaps one of the greatest spy novels ever written - I could not put it down until I finished it! I loved the action, the romance, and the mystery - great read all around!
Paul Standish
Only one word for this book--superlative. It's the best thriller I have ever read--and I've read thousands! Well done, Mr Meade, hats off to you for an incredibly enjoyably, moving, exciting read that kept me always on the edge of my seat!
GymGuy
Excellent story by an author who I know little about. Lots of action and high drama. Good character development and wonderful twists and turns.

Perhaps the only real fault I can find is that the middle section tended to drag a bit with protracted chase scenes. While these work for me in movies, I don't really get too excited about reading chase scenes, and this had plenty. I thought the ending (the 1953 one) was perhaps a little flat, but I understand why it was configured the way it was...you'll
J
This is one of my favorite books! I actually read it in German - about 4 times. It's so suspenseful, an amazing story, all based on historical facts. It's hard to put down although it's the thickest book ever. Highly recommended!
Lois
Operation Snow Wolf, sanctioned by President Eisenhower during the coldest of the cold war, was the name assigned to the plot that would assassinate Joseph Stalin. In this book, the CIA appoints two agents to carry out the plot. Taking place in the 1950s, this fictional account by Glenn Meade pits the efforts of the KGB to foil this plot against the CIA.

While I read this book over the course of several weeks, it would have been better to sit down and think of nothing else except what was happeni
Adam K.
I had never heard of Glenn Meade before, but I'll sure remember him now. This book was incredible, the very definition of a page-turner. I've been needing something like this in my life for a while now, as I don't believe I've been this engaged with a book since maybe Stephen King's 11/22/63 earlier this year. I've read some good stuff since then, but nothing quite on par with this. Meade takes the "known unknowns" about Josef Stalin's death and weaves a breathless adventure out of them, with ch ...more
Erin
I'm usually not a spy/espionage type of reader, but this book was great! I like how Meade weaves true history in with a fictional story. He does this with several of his other books as well.
Jeremy Owen
Wow ! Glenn Meade must be undiscovered by the majority of book readers as I had never heard of his stuff until I saw the good reads recommendation .

This is another epic tale mixing real history with a fictional story - following the excellent 'Brandenburg ' - which reads like a believable episode from just after ww2 .

Another un-put down-able novel by GM , this one imagining a western plot to kill the tyrant Josef Stalin.A fast-paced story which shifts from eastern Europe to America and back agai
Michelle
Glenn Meade does an amazing job of creating a story around an historical event that has a lot of room for "creativity". I read Snow Wolf because I read The Romanov Conspiracy and loved it. For me this book fell just a little short of that book. Meade had me until the end when it was revealed Yuri Lukin and Alex Slanski were brothers and had been pitted against each other by Stalin. That was just a little over the top for me. The Authors Note at the end is great and sets out the skeleton of histo ...more
Weylin
This book is really well written, the characters have depth and are well developed, and the story is really good and interesting. BUT, for some reason this book was not very compelling for me. I would read for a while and want to do something else. If I had the option to read this book and do something else, I would do something else. I don’t know what it was (probably me) but I just could not get absorbed into it…..but it’s still a good book and I would not want to discourage people from readin ...more
David Lucero
Glenn Meade writes an entertaining, realistic story on how Josef Stalin may have died. Contrary to public news, he writes of a conspiracy hatched to kill the murderous dictator while on his deathbed. Sounds terrible, killing a murderer? Not when you find he has his finger on the button to launch the world into nuclear terror. His description of life in the Soviet Union is vividly detailed and I found this book so entertaining I've read it twice.
Irem
Snow Wolf is the first work of Glenn Meade I read. Honestly, I really enjoyed his writing which is pretty realistic and strong. So many characters, places, dates... Made me desperately need to take some notes. A huge WOW came out of my mouth when I was done. It is such an amazing fiction of 1950's Cold War and it very beneficial on learning about those times in an adventurous way. Looking forward to read the rest of Meade's books.
Mustafa Şahin
Sürükleyici ve çok başarılı bir kurgu, polisiye severlerin kesinlikle bir şans vermesi lazım bence.
Harley
Very interesting plot and enjoyable to read. I can really appreciate Glenn Meade's writing style, character development and optimal level of detail in the story line.
Ralf-Jürgen
Sehr spannender Thriller zur Zeit des kalten Krieges, Anfang der 50er Jahre.

Ich hätte 5 Sterne gegeben, wenn der Autor nicht alle Russen (bis auf ein, zwei) als Bösewichte und Folterer dargestellt hätte. Ein bisschen mehr Ausgewogenheit hätte die Geschichte perfekt gemacht.

Dennoch: hervorragendes Buch!
Beneatha
4.5 out of five because it was slow at times. Other than that this book kelt my attention extremely well. I also liked the fact that Meade did not let the romance between the characters take away from the actual story. Loves this book. I'm suprised that there are not more ratings.
Anne
Jul 11, 2013 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller, historical readers
An exciting story of an American spy sent to Russia to execute Stalin. Suspenseful, engaging and non stop thrills make this a terrific read for those who enjoy historical thrillers. I have now read several of Glenn Meade's books and he does not disappoint.Highly recommended.
Adam Kopp
A fantastic novel about a "what if" scenario involving an assassination plot, Meade's work features solid characters, depth and plenty of intrigue to make the reader press forward. This is pure, white knuckle suspense done right.
Zara
Noch im ersten Drittel abgebrochen. - Hörbuch -
Irgendwie hat der Autor es geschafft, einen Thriller ohne Spannung zu schreiben *gähn* Nach über einem Monat hören (und ich bin immer noch im ersten Drittel!) habe ich keine Lust mehr.
Joanne
Suggested as a book club selection, this book was interesting. Lots of holes in historically, but still good. Placed during the cold war, the CIA sends a Russian emigrant to assasinate Stalin. Gripping.
Loved it! The story was so gradually told that it was a bit difficult to get into at first, but this then made for a really exciting finish, one that I wasn't expecting at all! Couldn't put it down.
Nancy Rader
One of three currently reading, two autobiographies now I need a little pulp to help digest the other stuff. Very good book, a little hard to read with all the characters. Well worth the effort.
Ned
I have yet to read a bad Glenn Meade novel!

Geopolitical thriller about an attempt by the CIA to assassinate Joseph Stalin.

Predictable, but a great story!
Joe
Excellent debut novel by Irish Author Glenn Meade, real quality international thriller. Excellent historical / fiction mixture. A writer to keep an eye on.
Cℓinton Sheppard
Takes some historical facts and spins one possible action packed
explanation for them. Some violence descriptions are WAY TOO DETAILED!
Barb
I couldn't put this book down! Fast-paced, very well written -- absolutely nothing that would prevent me from giving it a 5-star rating!
Georg
Agenten, Russland, Stalin, Winter... Ein tolles Buch und absolut spannend.
Susan Despriet
Bob said I would like this one. It is based on historical fact from the Stalin era. It's an older book but I loved it.
Alexis Thompson
As always, Meade obliges with high suspense and roller coaster moves. Moscow in the Cold War came across very realistically.
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • Pavel & I
  • La Forêt des Mânes
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • The Enemy Within
  • In Tenebris (La trilogie du Mal, #2)
  • The Stalin Epigram
  • Touch the Devil
  • Shadow Pass (Inspector Pekkala #2)
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • Kolymsky Heights
  • Dampfnudelblues (Franz Eberhofer, #2)
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
  • ZERO
  • The Flowers of Hiroshima
Glenn Meade was born into a working-class family in Dublin, Ireland. After finishing secondary school he had a tough time choosing between studying theology or engineering, but eventually engineering won out and he studied telecommunications. Soon after graduating, he lived and worked in New Hampshire. He worked as a specialist in the field of pilot training—having had a life-long interest in avia ...more
More about Glenn Meade...
The Romanov Conspiracy Brandenburg The Second Messiah The Sands Of Sakkara Web of Deceit