Start by marking “Prairie Spring: A Journey Into the Heart of a Season” as Want to Read:
Prairie Spring: A Journey Into the Heart of a Season

Prairie Spring: A Journey Into the Heart of a Season

A portrait of spring in the heartland of North America In this first of four seasonal narratives, Pete Dunne sends a postcard from the prairie in his characteristically puckish style.The prairie is an exciting place to explore an unfolding drama—man versus the environment—and as Dunne and his wife travel through the heartland, the fleeting nature of the season comes to sym
Published March 19th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie Spring

Donna Jo Atwood
Dunne looks at the way Spring arrives on the Great Plains. (He calls it the Great Plains, but he spends his time in Colorado, Wyoming, etc, missinng the lower, flatter Plains that I'm familiar with.)
Far from being a great lump of featureless land to be flown over as quickly as possible, the Plains have a life and a rhythm the stretches back for eons. The scenery may not be as spectacular as the mountains or the ocean, but Nature compensates by the use of subtlety--until She hits you with a boom-
Elly Sands
Sep 14, 2015 Elly Sands rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful surprise. I love wide open landscapes so I bought this book just to peruse it and look at the photos. Little did I know that I would be reading every single word and truly savoring them. If you are interested in learning about the history, people, flora and fauna and most important the relevance of the prairie then this is the book for you. And may I emphasize that it is not boring! The author's witty remarks flow throughout the pages and keep the story moving. He and his ...more
Ross
Apr 22, 2010 Ross rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-nature
I picked up Dunne's new book expecting an insightful discussion and appreciation of the ecology and natural history of one of the largest biomes in North America. So I was quite disappointed to find it is really just one man's experience driving, camping, birding, and touring a few sites in and around Colorado.

Dunne does have decent sections on the spring equinox, the sandhill cranes, meteorology, and our national grasslands. And the recalled dialogue with his traveling companion, his wife, is q
John
Aug 18, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Dunne is an elite birder and I’ve always enjoyed his articles and books. He is upbeat, full of knowledge and always willing to share. In this adventure he goes above and beyond birding and helps us to enjoy Spring in one of our least appreciated biomes, the Colorado Prairie – or in a larger sense any prairie.
Marvin
Nov 03, 2010 Marvin rated it did not like it
Shelves: midwest
I started this nonfiction book (rare for me as leisure reading), but bailed out pretty quickly, first because I discovered that despite the title it's not really about the prairies but about the Plains--and mostly the High Plains at that--and second because in an attempt to be engaging, personal, and accessible, the author seemed to me to be only cloyingly patronizing.
Tuck
Oct 13, 2009 Tuck rated it did not like it
pretty elementary and not that compelling writing about great plains. concentrates on sandhill cranes, lesser prairie chicken, buffs, etc. DOES have good leads to cool camping at crow valley in ne colo and picture canyon in se colo.
Clif Smith
Aug 16, 2010 Clif Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have met and birded with Pete Dunne. While I don't, shall we say, "associate" well with him, he is a very good writer. He is able to transform an experience into words on a page and have the reader personalize that experience. This is a well written nature work.
Elizabeth
Pete Dunne once again showed his talent as a great nature writer, but he never convinced me that he had much subject matter. Good chapters on sandhill cranes and bison, but overall the book was a real disappointment.
Pam
Jan 08, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, nature, 2015
Good, but not as good as "Arctic Autumn." Maybe it's because of the subject matter, not that I don't love the prairies, just probably not as much fodder for book material as the Arctic has.
Walt
Walt rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Elvita
Elvita rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Chip Bauer
Chip Bauer rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Laurie Heupel
Laurie Heupel rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Gene Bowker
Gene Bowker rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Leilani
Leilani rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2010
Matt Pettigrew
Matt Pettigrew rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2010
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Todd
Todd rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
Dave Friedrich
Dave Friedrich rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2011
Laura rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2011
Brad Wackerlin
Brad Wackerlin rated it liked it
May 18, 2009
Kyri Freeman
Kyri Freeman rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Ernie Pianalto
Ernie Pianalto rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Jeff Lerner
Jeff Lerner rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Jim Berry
Jim Berry rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Guy G. Hawkins
Guy G. Hawkins rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Jun 08, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, travel, birds, gw, 2016
I wish I'd read this when we lived in Nebraska.