Life's Little Instruction Book

Life's Little Instruction Book

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,567 ratings  ·  76 reviews
A few years ago, Jack Brown jotted down a list of fatherly advice for his son as Adam left home to begin a new life as a college freshman. That list became Life's Little Instruction Book, the phenomenal guide that has sold more than five million copies. Now Brown offers a second list, and Adam says "It's more useful than the first one".
Published November 4th 2002 by Element (first published 1991)

The Last Lecture by Randy PauschThe Real Book of the Dead by Collette SinclaireMessages From Heaven by Collette SinclaireInterviews With the Dead, Part 1 by Collette SinclaireMy Name is Joe by Stefan Bourque
When I Am Dead and Gone
8th out of 19 books — 23 voters
Freakonomics by Steven D. LevittStiff by Mary RoachA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserBlink by Malcolm Gladwell
Interesting and Readable NonFiction
88th out of 374 books — 188 voters

More lists with this book...

Sten Bolander
My folks gave this book to me on St. Patricks Day 1992. I have since read it. They made some notes throughout which made it extra special. My Dad even added a few at the end, "512 - Always date letters, papers and documents (still do this and kick myself when I don't), 513 - Wear sweaters instead of lighting fires, 514 - Be Happy, 515 - Be Swedish (from the full-blood Swede)." Dad added a quote as well from Ray Bradbury, "If we listened to our intellect, we would never have a love affair. We'd n...more
 ~☆ Alice☆~
Reading a few pages again. Here is the first page:

1. Compliment three people every day.

(Alice says: this is done in the South but not here in Colorado which is very interesting to me. Also, I just remembered if you are in the San Antonio area and you compliment someone's ring or skirt be sure you touch it or you put the "whey-ho" on it which is the evil eye. This is very important culturally to know these things.) Anyone who knows the correct Spanish for this please correct my horrible spelling...more
Philopater
" ارشادات الحياة القصيرة" لــ جاكسون براون

كتاب رااائع ، عبارة عن نصائح قدمها لابنه وهو داخل الكلية ف اول سنة ليه ، النصائح مثيرة للفكر ، يعني تقعد تتسائل ، يا تري ليه بيقوله كده ؟؟ واشمعني يعملها بالطريقة دي ؟؟

وبتلاقي ان نصايحه مفيدة جدااااا ف الحياة :)
Maosika
Some people said a books can change how people see their life and their ways of living, after reading this book I start to believe it's true. This is a simple little gem books, that inspires and reminds us of the importance of appreciating nature, treasuring life's little wonderful moments, and being kind to those around us.

*Spoiler Alert*

-----------------

Remember:

- “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.”

- “Don't f...more
Mukhtar Ibrahim
Oct 09, 2013 Mukhtar Ibrahim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mukhtar by: محمد بن عمران
93- اختر زوجتك بعناية ... لانها مسؤولة عن 90% من سعادتك او تعاستك
125- تعلم كيفية إرتداء ربطة العنق
156- اسعى للتفوق . .لا للكمال
171- لا تياس ابدا من احلامك . .فالرجل الذي يمتلك الاحلام الكبيرة خير من ذلك الذي يلتزم بالوقائع الصغيرة
212- لا تدع الهاتف يقطع اللحظات الهامة من حياتك .. ان الهاتف وجد لراحتك انت .. لا لراحة المتصل !
267- استلق على ظهرك وراقب النجوم
292- لا تدمر الجسور من حولك .. فانت لا تعلم متى ستحتاج لعبورها مرة اخرى
297- تذكر ان الزواج الناجح يعتمد على امرين . .الاول ايجاد الشخص المناسب...more
Deviant Geek
i have the eBook of all the three volumes in a total of 1532 advises .. i haven't read them all.. what i did was print them all and try to do one advice at a time. i don't skip and i don't check till i do it. so, yeah.. i can say that it's really fun.
its one of those things that help you get the most out of life
Saleris
I don't remember if this was bought or if this was a gift. either way, it's a lovely book. I happily read it and let a few people borrow it. I think I was lucky to get it back each time.
Mou Al-shamlan
i highly recommend this book 4 anyone want to live the real life :)
Cindy
I read this little book when I was a little girl. What children hear from their parents, and teachers, and what they read in books become a part of their subconscious. I recently reread it and realized that, that is what this book is to me. There is very good advice in there that I followed throughout my life without remembering where it came from. It was a good supplement to the many lessons my parents taught me. I have a very early edition so some may say it's antiquated, but I would say it's...more
Travis
Though my wife has been trying to throw these away for some time, I hang on to them because I read them all over again every few years. I am impressed with how much Mr. Brown strives to live his life and how he suggests that his son should live his life: with simplicity, authenticity, integrity, and audacity. I was sad when he abandoned his originally stated goal of coming out with a new one of these every few years. But hey, I've done that to some of my own goals, so I can understand.
BookWurm Tin*
Easy to read kahit madame, sooo cute pa and avery portable book! I bot dis book with me @ da beach (so now its all crumpled and salty!) and read it to pass travel time sa van, I highlited my favorite nuggets of wisdom, checked those that I have done already and those that I havent, i marked with an X. Im totally gonna pass this on to my younger brother Gio. A lot of OOOhs and AAAAhs moments on this one. Live, Learn and PAss it on! =D
HoMa Me
This book says:
Don't waste time grieving over past mistake. Learn from them and move on.
غصه اشتباهات گذشته را نخورید، از آن درس بگیرید و بگذرید.
Be brave. Even if you're not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.
شجاع باشید، حتا اگر شجاع نیستید به آن تظاهر کنید. کسی متوجه تفاوت آن نخواهد شد.
Learn to listen. Opportunity sometimes knocks very saftly.
خوب گوش دادن را بیاموزید، گاهی اوقات فرصت ها به آرامی در را می کوبد.
Lisa
The Life's Little Instruction Book series were the most influential books I read growing up. They are a quick read and are inspirational. I was so enamored with them, that I wrote H. Jackson Brown in 5th grade about how much I liked them and he was kind enough to respond with a handwritten letter as well as an article on Random Acts of Kindness that he thought I would like. Very cool
Andrea Quinn
Travis
Okay, well, I wrote reviews on the other 2 books in this series, and while searching for books I discovered that, interestingly, the three are bound together in one book for people who are interested. I might just buy that book for my son in a few years. If I can find a copy. These are good books, recommended to my friends and family.
Perry Bruner
I love this book.. it is a perfect gift for a teenager that is graduating high school or someone you care about and want to have a happy and rewarding life. A very good book and also an easy read.
Joshua Scarabin
Contains 511 'instructions' that will lead to a successful and happy life. This was a graduation present from a wonderful family. I read it rapidly. I wish I'd followed every instruction in this book. I recommend it for any young person entering the world. A wonderful, graduation present!
Karine Shauli
I simply grabbed this book due to it's title and I read it rather quickly with a smile upon my face. These little tips and the advice given here is general advice that everyone should take into account in their own lives to live a full life. Happily, satisfied, and just plain good.
Cameron
My Mom Gave me this book before my LDS Mission and I have loved it. it is just a list of things to do to make your life better. some are biased to the author but it does not detract from the book. some are really funny. I use it in therapy with the Teens I work with.
Mazohyst
I had this book lying around the house ever since I was in elementary school. When I first read it, it made no sense to me. Recently, I found it in my basement and read it again. It was really cute and useful. I'll have to remember to bring it with me when I move out.
Diane
Received as a gift when I worked in the school library. Never forget how much I enjoyed working there for Mrs. Bransky (sigh). Anyway, this was such a thoughtful, lovely little gift. I can't imagine anyone not finding something in it to make them smile.
Kamran Khan
Dec 31, 2009 Kamran Khan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Whosoever wishes to bring small personality improvements
Really nice. Small pocket book which you must gift to your juniors. I read it myself and would like my little nephews (Muizz/Raffey) to read it when they begin to understand.

Profound,
Kamran Khan
Terry
A keeper. Written by a father for his son who was heading off to college; his randon collection of tips for successfully dealing with life and basically being a happy, socially-responsible human being. Just great little reminders.
Howard
I am addicted to quotes. Literally, They come out of me at random times even so finding a little collection such as this with good moral quotes was quite a find. I loved it!
Deirdre
Interesting snippets of life instructions. Some I agree with, some I don't, but many of them made me think about how to live life. Just what I needed to raise my spirits today.
Eireanne
Obviously written by a white, middle/upper-class, American Male who grew up in the 60's/70's. Great advice for that stereotypical young man the SATs were written for.
babs
Very interesting. Some things I disagreed with and others I agreed with one hundred percent. Overall a very helpful and inspiring little book from father to son.
Mounica
I just found this book lying around in my house, and read it since I had nothing else to do. It wasn't bad though...Some of the tips were pretty good/funny.
Mohammed Aldhafeeri
Nothing amuses me more than reading from the elders (old people). You'll learn more from them; and even more from their books that held their thoughts.
Liz
I don't necessarily agree with all of the instructions (I LIKE to use profanity,) and some are repetitive. but it's cute and sweet and some are nice reminders.
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • 1001 Ways to Be Romantic: Author's Annotated Edition
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Further Along the Road Less Traveled: The Unending Journey Towards Spiritual Growth
  • Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
  • 8,789 Words of Wisdom
  • The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now
  • Pooh's Little Instruction Book
  • It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills--and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Nothing is Impossible: Reflections on a New Life
  • The Book of Questions
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Mothers
  • Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self
  • How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have
Date of Birth: 1940

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. is an American author best-known for his book Life's Little Instruction Book which was a New York Times bestseller. Before becoming famous as a writer, Brown acted as a creative director of an advertising agency in Nashville, Tennessee. It was simple words of wisdom gathered from other people and his own experiences that made him a best-selling author.

Brown...more
More about H. Jackson Brown Jr....
Complete Lifes Little Instruction Bk Leather Bound P.S. I Love You Life's Little Instruction Book, Volume II إرشادات الحياة القصيرة Live and Learn and Pass It on: People Ages 5 to 95 Share What They've Discovered about Life, Love, and Other Good Stuff

“Don't forget, a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.” 132 likes
“Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.” 111 likes