Start by marking “Life's Little Instruction Book” as Want to Read:
Life's Little Instruction Book

Life's Little Instruction Book

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,642 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
A few years ago, Jack Brown jotted down a list of fatherly advice for his son as Adam left home to begin a new life as a college freshman. That list became Life's Little Instruction Book, the phenomenal guide that has sold more than five million copies. Now Brown offers a second list, and Adam says "It's more useful than the first one".
Published November 4th 2002 by Element (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Life's Little Instruction Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's Little Instruction Book

The Last Lecture by Randy PauschThe Real Book of the Dead by Collette SinclaireMessages From Heaven by Collette SinclaireInterviews With the Dead, Part 1 by Collette SinclaireMy Name is Joe by Stefan Bourque
When I Am Dead and Gone
6th out of 24 books — 28 voters
Freakonomics by Steven D. LevittA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonStiff by Mary RoachGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondBlink by Malcolm Gladwell
Interesting and Readable NonFiction
131st out of 794 books — 373 voters

More lists with this book...

Sten Bolander
Mar 05, 2012 Sten Bolander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My folks gave this book to me on St. Patricks Day 1992. I have since read it. They made some notes throughout which made it extra special. My Dad even added a few at the end, "512 - Always date letters, papers and documents (still do this and kick myself when I don't), 513 - Wear sweaters instead of lighting fires, 514 - Be Happy, 515 - Be Swedish (from the full-blood Swede)." Dad added a quote as well from Ray Bradbury, "If we listened to our intellect, we would never have a love affair. We'd n ...more
Mukhtar Ibrahim
Oct 09, 2013 Mukhtar Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mukhtar by: محمد بن عمران
93- اختر زوجتك بعناية ... لانها مسؤولة عن 90% من سعادتك او تعاستك
125- تعلم كيفية إرتداء ربطة العنق
156- اسعى للتفوق . .لا للكمال
171- لا تياس ابدا من احلامك . .فالرجل الذي يمتلك الاحلام الكبيرة خير من ذلك الذي يلتزم بالوقائع الصغيرة
212- لا تدع الهاتف يقطع اللحظات الهامة من حياتك .. ان الهاتف وجد لراحتك انت .. لا لراحة المتصل !
267- استلق على ظهرك وراقب النجوم
292- لا تدمر الجسور من حولك .. فانت لا تعلم متى ستحتاج لعبورها مرة اخرى
297- تذكر ان الزواج الناجح يعتمد على امرين . .الاول ايجاد الشخص المناسب
Philopater
Sep 02, 2012 Philopater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
" ارشادات الحياة القصيرة" لــ جاكسون براون

كتاب رااائع ، عبارة عن نصائح قدمها لابنه وهو داخل الكلية ف اول سنة ليه ، النصائح مثيرة للفكر ، يعني تقعد تتسائل ، يا تري ليه بيقوله كده ؟؟ واشمعني يعملها بالطريقة دي ؟؟

وبتلاقي ان نصايحه مفيدة جدااااا ف الحياة :)
Lynn
Apr 23, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that you have to read every once in a while to keep reminding ourselves that it's all about the little things .
Mou AlShamlan
Sep 04, 2013 Mou AlShamlan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i highly recommend this book 4 anyone want to live the real life :)
Mel
Jun 11, 2014 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Some people said a books can change how people see their life and their ways of living, after reading this book I start to believe it's true. This is a simple little gem books, that inspires and reminds us of the importance of appreciating nature, treasuring life's little wonderful moments, and being kind to those around us.

*Spoiler Alert*

-----------------

Remember:

- “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.”

- “Don't f
Josephalewis
Nov 16, 2014 Josephalewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bite sized info-bits. Nothing earth-shattering or big light bulbs going off here, but props to him for putting into a book great principles that most people I associate with follow. Here are some of my faves: "Learn three clean jokes" "Return borrowed vehicles with the gas tank full" "Compliment 3 people each day" "Be the first to say, 'Hello'"; "Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother ...more
Asmaa Refaat
It's the kind of books that you have to read daily
It's that kind that changes your way of living
It shows that life is really about the very little things
Really I'm addicted to this book and I highly recommend it
Miss Lilli
Aug 29, 2015 Miss Lilli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was afraid I'd read the book too fast, so after a couple of days, I limited myself to no more than 25 suggestions per day. I usually do all of my reading on the machines at the gym. One suggestion was to be first to say "hi" to a person. That very day, within minutes of reading that suggestion, a man got on the machine next to me and I immediately said hi and started laughing. I told him about the book. We talked and now I have a new friend at the gym.

There were a couple of suggestions that I'
Sophia
Dec 23, 2015 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiring
I had actually read this book for the first time about 20 years ago, after I bought it for my father's birthday. My dad didn't show much interest in the book, but I enjoyed it and agreed with a lot of its advice.
Today I suddenly noticed it among other books, and decided to read it again. I was pleased to rediscover that I still remember and live by some of that advice, and I believe that this book was among those influential books that helped shape my attitude towards life.

I recommend it to pret
Aseel Alawwad
عندما تدعو الله ادع لوالديك دوماً-
انشر الامل -
كن الاخ الذي يلجأ اليه الجميع عند الحاجة -
لتعش حياتك وانت تحاول رفع الناس الى الاعلى لا انزالهم الى الاسفل -
لا تهمل التفاصيل -
لا تتعامل مع صداقاتك الجيدة او زواجك الناجح او صحتك السليمة وكأنها امور من المسلمات -
ارفض التميز على اساس الجنس او العرق او المذهب -
لا تيأس من حلمك فقط لانه يحتاج مدة طويلة لكي يتحقق .. تذكر الوقت سوف يمر في كل الاحوال-
تذكر اهم لحظات حياتنا تمر دون ان نلقي بالاً لها -
كن شاكراً لان الله لم يلبي كل دعائك.. فبعض ما نتمنا
Sara Mohamed
Aug 27, 2015 Sara Mohamed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
93_ choose your life's mate carefully. From this one decision will come ninety percent of all your happiness or misery
267_ * lie on your bacj and look at the stars * <3
304_ Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace ,health and love
347_ Never waste anapportunity to yell someone you love them
Molly Sparber
Dec 29, 2015 Molly Sparber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was actually quite pleased with this. I honestly expected it to be quite silly. Instead it is chock full of practical advice that is worth taking. I found myself saying "Hey I like that" to a lot of the advice given. Excellent book.
Kyle
Jul 13, 2014 Kyle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good compilation of little, powerful actions to take in your life. However, remember to question each for yourself, as I found many I disagree with -- for myself, at least.
Jessica Burks
Feb 04, 2015 Jessica Burks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Everything in it was useful, good information and I will definitely keep it with me for years to come!
Sue Clifton
Jan 16, 2015 Sue Clifton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the positive ways to look at life in this book. There are also some fun little suggestions to make your day brighter.
Hybrazil
Mar 13, 2016 Hybrazil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Platitude, platitude, platitude, platitude, platitude, platitude, platitude. But then, what did you expect? :)
Lamia
Jul 22, 2015 Lamia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of general tips and life advices from a Father to his Son
someone
Jul 07, 2014 someone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome ,simple and very helpful for foreign people travelling to US or any english learner.
Abdulla abdula ZIZ
أحاول أن أطور لغتي الإنجليزية هذا الكتاب خفيف وأفادني في ذلك ..
لغتي مستواها متوسط
Ilhem
Jan 20, 2015 Ilhem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amaizing book .It introduces the summury of a man's experience
Ardys
Sep 20, 2014 Ardys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All good advice if a bit saccharin at times.
Tracey
Aug 17, 2014 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice ideas to get the most out of life!
Paula Terrado
May 18, 2016 Paula Terrado rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my "note-to-self" book
Slimoo
Apr 08, 2016 Slimoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Interesting Book !
Khouloud Khezami
Apr 06, 2016 Khouloud Khezami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que des ondes positives!
Cindy
Aug 22, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life
I read this little book when I was a little girl. What children hear from their parents, and teachers, and what they read in books become a part of their subconscious. I recently reread it and realized that, that is what this book is to me. There is very good advice in there that I followed throughout my life without remembering where it came from. It was a good supplement to the many lessons my parents taught me. I have a very early edition so some may say it's antiquated, but I would say it's ...more
Travis
Jan 31, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Though my wife has been trying to throw these away for some time, I hang on to them because I read them all over again every few years. I am impressed with how much Mr. Brown strives to live his life and how he suggests that his son should live his life: with simplicity, authenticity, integrity, and audacity. I was sad when he abandoned his originally stated goal of coming out with a new one of these every few years. But hey, I've done that to some of my own goals, so I can understand.
Karla Reyes
Jun 11, 2015 Karla Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, happiness
Fascinating.
De lectura rápida, entretenida e inspiradora.
BookWurm Tin*
Easy to read kahit madame, sooo cute pa and avery portable book! I bot dis book with me @ da beach (so now its all crumpled and salty!) and read it to pass travel time sa van, I highlited my favorite nuggets of wisdom, checked those that I have done already and those that I havent, i marked with an X. Im totally gonna pass this on to my younger brother Gio. A lot of OOOhs and AAAAhs moments on this one. Live, Learn and PAss it on! =D
  • The Procrastinator's Handbook: Mastering the Art of Doing It Now
  • Eeyore's Gloomy Little Instruction Book
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • When I Loved Myself Enough
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • 1001 Ways to Be Romantic
  • Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things: 2,317 Ways to Save Money and Time
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Harold B. Lee
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Instant Analysis: How to understand and change the 100 most common, annoying, puzzling, self-defeating behaviors and habits
  • Sharks And Other Sea Monsters
  • Life Strategies: Doing What Works, Doing What Matters
  • Writing the Blockbuster Novel
  • Serious Concerns
  • The Book of Questions
  • Operating Systems
  • Nothing Is Impossible
Date of Birth: 1940

H. Jackson Brown, Jr. is an American author best-known for his book Life's Little Instruction Book which was a New York Times bestseller. Before becoming famous as a writer, Brown acted as a creative director of an advertising agency in Nashville, Tennessee. It was simple words of wisdom gathered from other people and his own experiences that made him a best-selling author.

Brown
More about H. Jackson Brown Jr....

“Don't forget, a person's greatest emotional need is to feel appreciated.” 192 likes
“Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.” 147 likes