Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Antihielo” as Want to Read:
Antihielo
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Antihielo

3.54  ·  Rating Details ·  484 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Stephen Baxter, que prometía ser la nueva gran estrella de la ciencia-ficción británica, nos ofrece en su tercera novela una curiosa actualización del viaje a la Luna que ideó Julio Verne.

La acción comienza en 1855, cuando el ejército inglés prueba un arma novísima (con una capacidad de destrucción a la bomba atómica, pero sin los efectos colaterales de la radioactividad)
...more
Paperback, 291 pages
Published 1998 by Ediciones B (first published 1993)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Antihielo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antihielo

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Andrew
Dec 11, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Baxter to me is one of those hard science fiction writers who comes up with some amazing ideas and then sets about blowing your mind with them. Anti-ice is no different, from its discovery to the final pages of the book what you have here is an alternate history story driven by an extra ordinary discovery.

Stephen Baxter first caught my eye with his Time ships book after realising it was linked to Well's The Time Machine (okay I can see I am starting to get distracted), anyway Baxter has
...more
Tfitoby
Sep 09, 2012 Tfitoby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantastical
In amongst all the brain hurting, thought provoking hard science fiction that I have thus far experienced from the pen of Stephen Baxter I noticed that he was a damned fine storyteller. He seems to have a knack for exploring fascinating ideas and populating his stories with interesting characters. Anti-Ice doesn't quite live up to my earlier experiences however.

An alternative history novel set in Victorian Europe, the discovery of a new fuel source which kick starts a new industrial revolution a
...more
Profundus Librum
Mar 18, 2014 Profundus Librum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baxter eme könyve modorában, nyelvezetében és kissé nehézkesnek ható elbeszélési módjában és sutácska karaktereivel is sikeresen idomul a klasszikus vernei hagyományokhoz. (Mintha csak egy új, régen elveszett majd varázslatos módon meglelt Verne-művet olvasnánk.) A tudományos, ismeretterjesztő részek – például az űrrepülésről, a csillagászatról vagy a giroszkóp működéséről szólóak – megalapozottak, nem légből kapottak, ahogy azt Baxtertől megszokhattuk már, aki egyébként matematikai és mérnöki d ...more
Pickle
Mar 23, 2017 Pickle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
for a short book it dragged on for an extra 20 pages with a pointless plot but overall it was enjoyable.
Drunkenness Books
Le premier homme à marcher sur la Lune n’était pas Neil Armstrong en 1969 mais Ned Vicars, jeune diplomate anglais en 1870 ! Voilà ce qu’on peut apprendre à la lecture d’Anti-Glace. Ce livre a été reçu dans le cadre de La Voix des Indés, une opération littéraire ayant pour but de mettre en avant certaines maisons d’édition qui passent souvent inaperçues lors de la rentrée littéraire. Merci donc à Libfly pour m’avoir permis de participer à cette opération et aux éditions Le Bélial pour l’envoi de ...more
Djj
Mar 14, 2017 Djj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, clever Jules Verne like narrative positing what might have happened had England harnessed nuclear-like power in the 1800s, the titular anti-ice. More of a trifle than hard core scifi. But a fun read.
Lianne Pheno
Et en fait je suis déçue de ce livre. je pense que c'est plus parce qu'il n'est pas fait pour moi que parce qu'il est mauvais, parce qu'il est pas vraiment mauvais, il est juste d'un style qui ne me convient pas du tout.
Le pire c'est que ce style est bon, il fait vraiment authentique, vrai, on se croirait vraiment projeté à l'époque ou se passe ce livre en 1870. Mais ça rend les dialogues très long, pompeux et verbeux (typique de l'époque quoi).

On suis donc l'histoire de Ned un un jeune anglais
...more
Miles Atkinson
This is one of those books that initially defy classification. It has elements of alternative history, science fiction and steampunk, but each is woven into the story in a way that rarely if ever clashes. SOME SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW

To summarise - the asteroid dubbed the Little Moon enters Earth orbit during the late eighteenth century - a piece of it apparently lands on the edge of Antarctica, where it is discovered by a British expedition some fifty or so years later. Put simply, the yellowish icy
...more
J.
May 01, 2012 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an engrossing tale of an alternative history wherein the English discover in the late 1800s what amounts to anti-matter---from an anti-matter asteroid that crashed into Moon (and a piece of which struck Earth, and remained preserved in the Antarctic ice due to internal superconductivity properties).

Needless to say (which is why I liked it), the story is principally a cautionary tale against massively destructive weapons: hinting that such weapons will lead to global control by some, comple
...more
Stewart Tame
Fun book! I was surprised to see that this wasn't labelled and marketed as Steampunk. But then I saw that it was published in 1995, well before Steampunk became a marketing thing. Set mainly in the late 1800s, this is the tale of the great Professor Traveler and his adventures related to the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war. This is an alternate 1800s, largely due to the discovery of anti-ice. Anti-ice was discovered frozen in the ice near the south pole. It is stable when frozen, but explode ...more
Stephen
This is a solid steam punk alternative-history adventure, just the kind of quick read done well that makes you like sf.

The premise is fairly simple: Ross's expedition to the Antarctic discovers a mysterious cometary fragment containing "anti-ice," which is probably antimatter but the physics of the 19th c. doesn't have the word for that yet. And so the British Empire basically becomes a nuclear power just in time for the Crimean War (in prologue) and Franco-Prussian War (in the main narrative).
...more
Jim Smith
This is one of Baxter's earlier works - a dip into steam punk before that genre had really properly taken off. The premise is that a C19 British expedition to the Antarctic discovers a strange yellowish icy material which, when heated to room temperature, explodes with tremendous force. However, if kept at sub-zero temperatures, and allowed to bleed off its energy slowly, it is an immense source of energy. It is also (when placed in an artillery shell)an interesting parallel to a nuclear weapon. ...more
Clea
Aug 10, 2012 Clea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Make that 2 1/2 stars. Honestly, this take of Victorians in Spaaace caused me to have some flashbacks to the Professor Challenger stories, though luckily without falling to the level of The Land of Mist. Sure the science was better and the characters, even though they came across as annoying at times, are consistent with what we find in the literature of the period, but I was more than halfway through the book before I started caring about any of them. In short, I would say that if you are a fan ...more
Andy Hood
Warning, mild spoilers ahead......


An entertaining, if slight, alternate history novel, in which England by the discovery of a new mineral becomes the predominant world power in the mid Victorian period. However, things are amiss with the new world order,the resolution of which requires a ridiculous escapade involving space travel, a moonwalk ( not the Jackson kind!!!) steam punk technology and good old British steel. It's as daft and entertaining as it sounds, if your looking for some genuine es
...more
Chris McGrath
The only thing this book has going for it is that it reads very much like an H.G. Wells novel. Otherwise it is mostly boring, with uninteresting characters and both a ridiculous and largely pointless story. Maybe some will be intrigued by a 19th-century-styled science fiction story where the science is actually correct (one must only read The Island of Dr. Moreau to know how easily bad science can render a book laughably terrible), but for me that novelty was not enough to overcome the sheer use ...more
A~
Apr 23, 2014 A~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, pdf
An alternate history.
An intrepid explorer uses a new element found to fuel his inventions. The fuel is clean, but when heated without the right containment explodes like an atom bomb, without the fallout.

Taking place in pre world war 1 Europe.
I like that the author included other things to add to the mix besides the new invention. Charles Dickens getting booed out of Britain is just one example.
Sariah
Jul 05, 2016 Sariah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anti-glace est un récit qui ressemble étrangement aux ouvrages de Jules Verne que j’ai pu découvrir lorsque j’étais plus jeune…Une histoire extraordinaire se déroulant dans un contexte où les technologies plutôt modernes s’opposent aux normes traditionnelles d’une époque victorienne révolue. Le récit est écrit dans un style scientifique précis et méthodique se déroulant au XIX ème siècle. Les descriptions et les détails y sont...
http://www.sariahlit.com/2016/07/anti...#
Notme
Sep 29, 2015 Notme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book. Steampunk (before there even WAS such a genre). Now, as the steampunk novels go, they either lean towards alternate history or fantasy. This one is definitely alternate history. No magic, werewolves or vampires. Just a solid alternate history plot, not overly improbable and totally engrossing. A well-deserved 5 stars for me!
Andreas
Mar 26, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steam Age SciFi from Baxter. In the 19th Century, the British discover a pile of stuff in the Antarctic. This stuff releases fabulous quantities of energy when it comes into contact with other stuff. A whole transportation economy develops based on the so-called Anti-Ice. And there is a mission to the moon. Fun!

http://www.books.rosboch.net/?p=429
Ramon Yáñez lópez
Hace a��os lo abandone despues de leer los dos primeros cap��tulos. No se como lo vi en la estanteria criando polvo y me dio por darle una oportunidad...

Me record�� (aunque ya lo advert��a la contraportada) a un refrito de Julio Verne. Ciertamente lo es y por ello no aporta nada nuevo. Si os interesa se lee de un tir��n y se olvida con la misma facilidad...

Chip
Oct 22, 2013 Chip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in the style of Wells and Verne of the 1870s. Interesting alternative history in which Briton has almost unlimited power from a found compound called Anti-Ice. New technologies are developed during the Victorian period including rocketships, bullet trains, and weapons of mass destruction. Though the trip to the moon is fascinating, it also has a disturbing dark side to the story.
Ralph McEwen
I was not impressed with this alternate history. Science is science and physics are physics even in this book and this author gets both wrong. You can not have both 1800's manufacturing abilities and advance levels of metallurgy and manufacturing side by side. The characters are dull and the conversations are stilted.
Dmadden
Ok, Baxter should stick around this level. Nice light fiction. No ponderous voyages to the end of time using discredited superstring theories from the end of last month, thank you very much. Got it for 49 cents at the St Vincent de Paul thrift store on Lake Street. Thanks to them also.
Loki
Jul 14, 2014 Loki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A good fun work of alternate history, this one. It's a Vernian planetary romance that's somewhat derailed by its sharp turn into political parable in its final chapter. Still, for all the heavy-handedness of its conclusion, it's a good old classic adventure tale at heart.
Isaac Robles
Aug 05, 2014 Isaac Robles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fair homage to Jules Verne and his extraordinary Scientific Romances, even though some concerns raised by the reader are mostly current, it still exudes the flair of times when we believed that science and technology would give us all the answers
Keith
Feb 01, 2013 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
When I first read this I wasn't familiar with steampunk and didn't really enjoy alternative histories. The plot and ideas I read in this book have resurfaced in my mind often since then. Because of this... I guess I'd call it delayed enjoyment, I'd up the 2 star rating to at least a 3.
Kathy Sebesta
Very Jules Verne-y in style, but also rather preachy. Not worth the effort.
Gaines Post
Fascinating "what if" story.
Jon
Nov 04, 2012 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good steam-punk homage to Jules Verne and H.G Wells.
Jaime
Feb 23, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampunk before it was ever A Thing! A British Empire and Industrial Revolution super-charged by anti-matter. Great fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Fitzpatrick's War
  • The Warlord of the Air (Oswald Bastable, #1)
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Not Less Than Gods
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Les Enchantements d'Ambremer (Le Paris des Merveilles #1)
  • Lucifer's Dragon
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Jack Faust
  • The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • The Peshawar Lancers
  • Morlock Night
20295
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more
More about Stephen Baxter...

Share This Book



No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »