Start by marking “The 3 Faces Of Eve” as Want to Read:
The 3 Faces Of Eve

The 3 Faces Of Eve

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  638 ratings  ·  36 reviews
un estudio clínico de un caso de personalidad múltiple, narrado de manera tal que permite al lector no especializado entender e interesarse por esta dramática circunstancia.
463 pages
Published by Fawcett Popular Library (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The 3 Faces Of Eve, please sign up.

Susanne The author(s) of this book were academic psychiatrists from the University of Georgia who were fascinated with this patient. Many people mistake the…moreThe author(s) of this book were academic psychiatrists from the University of Georgia who were fascinated with this patient. Many people mistake the diagnosis of "schizophrenia" with a "Jeckyl Hyde" or two-faced type personality. That is not the technical meaning of the diagnosis, "schizophrenia" implies a serious form of dementia in which the patient suffers hallucinations, mood and thought disorders. It's very debilitating, and many who suffer from it are unable to work or function well in society, Eve, until she suffered the breakdown that put her in hospital, had a very lively lifestyle. She had many interests and adventures; it seemed the "different parts" of her, could not always come to agreement. In a way, it made sense that all this activity and exploration could have been due to Eve having 3 different personalities. This book was written back in 1940's, I believe. Joann Woodward won the academy award for her performance in the movie of book, (well deserved). Movie was produced in mid-1950s. The book has since been heavily critiqued with many contemporary psychiatrists disowning the reality of the book as well as Eve's diagnosis.(less)

Aalia Khan Yousafzai
I picked up this book because I'm studying MPD(multiple personality disorder) for my psychology course, but reading this didn't just help me with my studies but sated my curiosity about so many questions I had- and raised several more. I wouldn't say that The Three Faces Of Eve was an exciting read. This is for those who are patient enough to go through every phase of this bizarre life of a woman who was troubled by several personalities, the most frequent of which were the wicked, naughty Eve B ...more
Jonna
Snore. There are sections of this book that are rather interesting, but mostly, it's dull as dishwater. As for all the reviews talking about the awful abuse endured by the patient, I think these folks must have read a different book! The only abuse here is in subjecting readers to pages of Jungian castration theory vs Freudian Oedipal theory!
Carolyn James
This was an old book I found on a dusty bookshelf in my parents office. Loving psychology this was right up my alley. I think even before reading I had read this case study in several undergrad textbooks. 3 Faces of Eve tells the true story of a woman who has 3 separate personalities and the hype created when this case was first analyzed by the medical world. I see I have the same problem others had with this book. Parts were very very interesting….and then a big drop of boredom. It would be gre ...more
Jessietaylortanner
It's hard to believe that a book about multiple personalities could be boring, but that's what it was to me. I read about two-thirds of it before I gave up for more engaging reads. Maybe I'll try again later.
Linda
After watching "The The Three Faces of Eve", and realizing it was based on a true incident, I had to read the book. I was not disappointed by either movie or book. Actually the movie did the best it could given the time frame it had, but I was completely mesmerized by the book and the account of Eve White, a woman with three personalities. Written by her psychiatrists, we follow Eve's journey as she presents as a troubled and meek housewife, yet, over time, reveals her other personalities in th ...more
Hans
Very interesting insight into the thought processes of people with Multiple Personality Disorder,an engaging read, I strongly recommend it.
Jean Brandenburg
I read a Reader's digest version. I thought I'd read it before, but apparently not. Eve went to the Doctor complaining of headaches and blackouts, when the Dr could find nothing physically wrong, he sent her to a psychologist, where a separate personality "came out" it was interesting to read how it happened and how she existed with 2 then 3 personalities, but it wasn't quite the story I was expecting. Since it wasn't written as a novel, or biography, but more like the therapists writing an arti ...more
Suzlizjohnson
X* couldn't put this book down and read it at break, on the bus, and in bed with a flashlight... the Mother was just evil... How could anyone abuse a little toddler is just beyond my comprehension...
OOPS! AM REFERING TO "SYBIL" (except for the flashlight..) - turns out the book "Sybil" is considered not so true to life as was presented at
the time... Other books based on multi-personality... "The Bird's Nest" (by author of "The Lottery"); the other "Eve" books by the
patient herself..

As to "Three
Terri
I read this years ago. They really didn't know what they were dealing with when they took Ms. Sizemore (Eve) on as a patient. They "discovered" what would be known as MPD - Multiple Personality Disorder and documented their work with Integrating their patient. Of course this was later made into a briliiant movie starring Joanne Woodward.

Of course, this was only the beginning journey for "Eve" who dissociated again and again over time, having as many as 33 personalities in all. I have met Ms. Siz
A. E. S.
Saw this movie back in high school. Great 1950s horror classic!
Jill
I did not like this book because they never found out what caused her to shatter. The authors wrote about Freud's oedipal and embryonic intrauterine theories and wondered if this was what caused her to become multiple. I believe that her parents had something to do with it, even though the authors never discussed abuse nor did they seem to ever get too far into her memories. This book was one of the first case histories of multiple personalities and it is obvious the doctors did not know what th ...more
Emily
I am so glad I finally got to read it. although it is not as passionate as I would have liked (one of the instances where the movie is better) it is a good read. there are lots of outdated theories and comments that glaringly point out that this is a 1950's book written by a man. it is also more geared to those who want more information about the mechanics of the psychology and the human aspect of it comes off more as a side note.
Chrissie
Greatful to have had the opportunity to read this book! Out of print and so hard to find I was estatic to get my hands on it. It was overall a very good book but the best parts were somewhere in the middle. At the end there was a BAM where things were resolved and then it turned into some olden-day's phy/clinician bullshit debating Oedipus and Morton-Prince. Dissapointing end to a historical work
Andrea Clark
Hope the movie is better.Almost all case study,no story.I Love Psychology but this book was a bore.I will say it was a great case study just not what I had in mind to read.I ended up skimming a great deal after about halfway through.Best for research if enrolled in a college course.
christi.
I went through a phase after I read Sybil where I became obsessed with cases of dual and multiple personalites. This was part deux of my two-part string of similar reads (given to me as a most thoughtful Christmas present).It was only a little dissapointing in light of the previous book on the subject. Still, extremely provoking.
Holli
This was a fascinating insight into the mind of someone with multiple personality disorder. I'm not sure how much it was sensationalized, but it was from the psychologist's perspective, and melded the language of professional psychology with a really engaging account of the patient. I thought it was great.
Joanna
Jun 12, 2007 Joanna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dabblers in psychology/psychiatry
I was obsessed with this book in high school, and had my sights set on a career in psychology because of it. I've since taken a completely different direction in life, but this book remains a fascinating remnant of my old life. Definitely an interesting read. Fantastic movie adaptation, as well.
Emily
An overall enjoyable and interesting read, although I did find that it lagged at times, especially in some of the later chapters in which the author first postulates and then questions various Freudian/Oedipal analyses of the patient.
Ashley
It was interesting in parts, but it focused on a lot of psycho dynamic aspects as was common in the time it was written. it was less novel like then I expected but i would still like to see the movie.
Carmel Westerman
I was just out of high school when I read this book. It opened my eyes to disabilities that
I never knew existed. I think in the day and time it was written - it was an excellent introduction to the subject.
Kellylynn
I liked this enough to watch the movie. But alas, there was just a bit of the story that did not carry into modern times. I struggled with some of the details. But the overall story was a decent one.
Alicia
Disappointed with this book. It was told from a clinical point of view rather than with a human voice. I guess from reading Sybil I had high expectations.
Lee
I read this almost 20 years ago...this book started a series of thoughts and events which culminated in my becoming a therapist.
Johanna
Wonderful book that my dad gave me before he passed. It was old and pages falling out. I love it.
Eleanore
Ok not very enlightening, read When the Rabbit Howls for more info on DID
Griffin4introy
True Story. Horrifying abuse. Incredible story of how the human mind works.
Sarah Honenberger
I read this long ago, powerful insight into a world most of us will never know.
Debdanz
read this in the 70s along w/ sybil- disturbing, interesting
Linda
very interesting.
At least that's what I remember.
  • I'm Eve
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple Personality Disorder
  • Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivor's Story
  • The Way Back: Inside the Mind of a Multiple Personality
  • Rebuilding Shattered Lives: Treating Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders
  • The Magic Daughter: A Memoir of Living with Multiple Personality Disorder
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Today I'm Alice: Nine Personalities, One Tortured Mind
Dr. Corbett H. Thigpen was an American psychiatrist and co-author of the internationally-popular, nonfictional book The Three Faces of Eve.

More about Corbett H. Thigpen...
Condensed Books: The Lady, A Houseful of Love, The Three Faces of Eve, Letter from Peking, The FBI Story, The Spiral Road Selecciones del Reader's Digest: Con la cruz ajena; Las tres caras de Eva; El último rebelde