Start by marking “All The Pretty Dead Girls” as Want to Read:
All The Pretty Dead Girls

All The Pretty Dead Girls

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
At a private women's college in upstate New York, a student was brutally attacked in her dorm room. Her assailant was never found. Sue Barlow arrives at Wilbourne College 20 years later. When a classmate disappears, Sue thinks it's an isolated incident. But then two other girls vanish.
Published April 1st 2009 by Pinnacle (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about All The Pretty Dead Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All The Pretty Dead Girls

Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it liked it
This book centers on Sue Barlow, an incoming freshman at Wilbourne College in upstate New York. Wilbourne is an exclusive private college that has a small student body, primarily made up of women. Raised by her extremely wealthy grandparents, Sue initially welcomes the opportunity to be on her own. She gets a bad feeling once she's there and believes that she repeatedly sees the face of a screaming woman in one of the dormitory windows.

Meanwhile Sheriff Miles Holland, investigating the disappear
Juanita
Mar 16, 2016 Juanita rated it really liked it
Review: All The Pretty Dead Girls by John Manning. 4.5's

I was amazed how this book held my interest and I really enjoyed the subject matter. It’s about The Book of Revelations and the Antichrist among satanic cult, a vast group of people from all around the world was established before any one realized what was going on. There whole ordeal was started when Wilbourne College, a private women’s college in upstate New York was built and founded by a wealthy women a hundred and fifty years ago, secr
Valeri
Sep 23, 2009 Valeri rated it did not like it
First of all, the back cover summary of this book is extremely misleading. Secondly... it's just terrible. The author leads you around in circles for the first 3/4s of the book, and not in a good way. When he finally gets to the point it starts to pick up a little, but by then the story has reached its climax, leaving ending flat. Most of the characters are wanting, and the ones that seem to have potential are left in the dust. Over all, not a great read.
Mackenzie
Aug 17, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, 2009
Carey
May 06, 2015 Carey rated it liked it
started this book without realizing it was a horror, which made the first murder a bit of a shock. overall, i thought it was not bad. finished quickly mainly because i couldn't handle the bad dreams. next will be a fluff novel for sure.
Jan
Mar 25, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
Story, a teenager goes off to the college her mother had gone to. She is 18 and has her first car, and she is thrilled, she gets into college town and gets a ticket, charming the young policeman, she only gets a warning. The world is her oyster. She has been told her mother and father were killed when she was a child and has been raised by her grandparents, she believes in a Godly family, but which God? She looks up at a window in her college and see's the face of a girl screaming in terror, did ...more
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Well, what the heck? I thought I was picking up your standard murder mystery type thriller and that's basically how things started but then I find myself reading a horror story involving a cult and sightings of the Virgin Mother and the Anti-Christ? I kept reading because my need for mindless reading is rather tremendous just now but if I'd had much else to choose from I'd probably have ditched this long before the increasingly predictable ending. Two and a half stars? Almost but not quite ok bu ...more
Tom M
Mar 02, 2011 Tom M rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 (Goodreads, add half stars!)

To give a sparse summary without giving the story away, Sue Barlow is a new student at the nearly all-female Wilbourne Academy in upstate Lebanon, New York. On her arrival she sees a screaming face in a dorm room that's later found to be unoccupied. During her first few weeks, some female students go missing and are later found murdered. The story continues as a suspense novel with atypical twists, containing elements of The Devil's Advocate as well as his
Jeff O'Brien
May 07, 2012 Jeff O'Brien rated it it was amazing
You'd think I'd have nothing negative to say about a book I gave 5 stars to. Well, I have two negative comments. But they have nothing really to do with the story.
1. All The Pretty Dead Girls is a VERY misleading title. If you're expecting an 80's Sorority House Slasher movie in novel form, which the title is suggestive of, that is not even close to what you're getting here.
2. This book has a few too many typos and words missing from sentences. Since that's the editor's job I don't hold it again
Anja
This book; All the Pretty Dead Girls by john Manning, had some good and some bad things going on. On one hand it is very exciting, a real page turner. I had to force myself from it, so that I could pick up my daughter from school. On the other hand it had a lot of faults. A few things I suspect is because of the translation into Norwegian, there was a few sentences that was badly written.

But there were several other things that I had issues with. One of them was that in almost every dialogue, on
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
4.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical thriller -- have fun with this one!, May 24, 2009

This review is from: All The Pretty Dead Girls (Paperback)
This book was NOT at all what I expected. I was thinking it would be a run-of-the-mill thriller - the type with a plot that I can write in my sleep. I assumed it would feature the usual: torture, rape, and a sicko psycho predator stalking coeds because of some hideous compulsion that would be detailed in the novel. Be warned - there is murder, but the st
Jon Borah
Aug 13, 2015 Jon Borah rated it it was amazing
HOLY CRAP!!! I was stuck on this book. as a catholic married to a non catholic I constantly get into debates about religios origins and the bad deeds of the catholic church and this book hit upon all of that. plus, the constant movement of the book kept me coming back for more. Would recommend to everyone I met!!
Terri Lytle
May 01, 2015 Terri Lytle rated it did not like it
What the hell did I just read? The back of the book leads you to believe it's one kind of story...start reading the book, and you end up scratching your head, saying: "wtf" every five minutes! Somehow we went from serial killers to satanists. Awesome.... NOT! I'm really glad I only spent a dollar on this book. Any more than that, and I'd have to summon satan to get me a refund!
Rachel Helwig
Apr 02, 2016 Rachel Helwig rated it really liked it
NOT what I expected. I was expecting a murder mystery/thriller. Instead it turned into a paranormal religious romp. Slow and sloppy at the beginning, and by that I mean jumping between multiple characters, times and locations for for about 200 pages. But, it picked up speed and ended well.
Tracy
Aug 14, 2010 Tracy rated it liked it
Good and creepy...bringing demons and the antichrist in for that extra special creepy factor. Sue is finally independent and headed off to college. She has been brought up by her grandparents, her parents have died. She is getting her first taste of freedom...but what is the screaming girl doing in an empty room? Why does she keep seeing it. Why do people tell her her parents are still alive? Girls are going missing from this school and a local sheriff wants to get to the bottom of it, but it se ...more
Jamie
Nov 13, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
The novel is not what I thought. I was expecting a serial killer. Also, the book deserves a higher rating than 3.5. Girls at Wilbourne College, an all girls school, have been disappearing for some time. Strange occurrences have been part and parcel of the school. What is going on? Sue, finally feels free of the repressive life under her Grandparents' rule in Manhattan, but Wilbourne has its own rules where freedom seems unwelcome and control by the Dean seems the norm. Lebanon is a boring and Co ...more
Darlene
Feb 19, 2014 Darlene rated it really liked it
this book i thought was pretty good some of it was alittle weird hard to understand but in the long run i like i read it likt a few years ago so i really cant tell what happened im sorry just wanted to write a review....But i did enjoy it
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Feb 09, 2016 Sandy Pfefferkorn rated it liked it
There were lots of spelling and grammatical errors in the book. The publishing company needs to get a more meticulous proof-reader. The story was intriguing but very far-fetched. However, I did enjoy it.
Jill Coleman
Feb 16, 2016 Jill Coleman rated it it was ok
Book started out well and held my interest all the way up to the last 25%. Then it went into this very strange direction that took will power to make me want to finish.
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 T.M. Carper rated it it was ok
I was excepting a straight-forward thriller dealing with a psychopath. What I was treated to was an unexpected, fast-paced read.

A rash of sightings of the Virgin Mary across the world draws a college professor into a world of darkness in a small town where every twenty years, several teenagers mysteriously vanish--only to show up later as corpses. A cult is uncovered, but who can you trust when people of authority cover-up murder?

Now it's up to one profosser to join forces with the daughter of
Sarah Spelbring
Jun 09, 2015 Sarah Spelbring rated it it was ok
Well...that escalated quickly. This one started out as normal crime novel, then, all of a sudden, there is a Satanic Cult that has brought about the Antichrist.
Bruce
Jun 24, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it
I certainly wasn't expecting the story that I got. Based on the description on Amazon, I thought this was going to be a straight forward suspense. It had a supernatural element that went in a direction that I did not see coming. Still, it was pretty entertaining.
Monica Nichols
May 04, 2015 Monica Nichols rated it liked it
Wow. The summary on the back of the book was different from the actual storyline. It was an ok book
Kels
Nov 13, 2015 Kels rated it did not like it
Only because 0.5 stars wasn't an option. Terrible book.
Kary
Apr 04, 2016 Kary rated it really liked it
great beach read; had me guessing
Jessica
Jul 17, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying I only gave this 2 stars because I actually finished reading it. I struggled, but I finished it. There were a few times I considered not picking it back up, but since the first couple hundred pages were okay-ish, I kept going. The description on the back cover of this book does NOT accurately portray the story. There were demons and alot of weird cult activity, none of which showing up until 2/3 of the way through the book. Definitely not my kind of story. I was thoroughly ...more
Shamshaad
Nov 18, 2014 Shamshaad rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book...I started out reading it, thinking of serial killers. But the twist at the end was a pleasant surprise. Rosemary's baby all grown up and in college...
Mike
Jun 02, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book; it started out a bit slow and clumsy I thought but as the book went further along it drew me in and towards the last 100 pages or so I simply couldn't put it down. Each page left me wanting to read more and that is a perfect example of a great read.
I think this book can also give those who hate other people based on their religious, sexual or ethical beliefs something to think about. Something that's been lost to far too many people around the globe in this day and age.
Rebecca
Apr 25, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok
The synopsis of the book on the back cover does not tip you to the fact that this book is devil/stigmata related. Therefore, once I figured that out I was very disappointed because that type of book does not interest me at all. I was under the impression it was a murder mystery/suspense. Finished it to see how it came out but would not recommend it if you are like me and don't like that sort of thing.
Nichole
Jul 20, 2013 Nichole rated it liked it

This book made me laugh. It started off an intriguing fast paced mystery, but turned into something completely crazy and unbelievable. I found the main character Sue to be annoying. I did however quite enjoy the fate of the Joyce Davenport character since clearly she was based on Ann Coulter. That was pure poetic justice and earned the book an additional star from me.
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Hades
  • Hunter's Moon
  • 2 in the Hat
  • The Next to Die
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • Commuters
  • Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 1)
  • Spitting Off Tall Buildings
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • The Better to Hold You (Abra Barrow #1)
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Visions
  • Ravish: The Awakening of Sleeping Beauty
  • The California Roll
John Manning lives in Boston and Los Angeles and several points in between. A connoisseur of horror films, he especially loves the great made-for-television movies of the 1970s, where the devil always seemed to be lurking around the corner of a college dormitory or a suburban mansion.
More about John Manning...