Start by marking “A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1, #4.3, #5.1, #7.1, #8.1)” as Want to Read:
A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1, #4.3, #5.1, #7.1, #8.1)

A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #4.1, 4.3, 5.1, 7.1 & 8.1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  38,212 Ratings  ·  1,775 Reviews
Every Sookie Stackhouse short story ever written—in one special volume—from the New York Times bestselling author.

Published October 6th 2009 by Ace (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch of Dead

Lover Mine by J.R. WardSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisSilver Borne by Patricia BriggsMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Eagerly Anticipated Books Remainder of 2009 and 2010
11th out of 490 books — 1,462 voters
Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDead to the World by Charlaine HarrisNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
Humorous Paranormal Books
83rd out of 1,186 books — 1,862 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
Feb 09, 2009 Jason rated it it was ok
Here's a fun joke you can play on someone! Loan them your copies of the Twilight books. Now, if you've chosen to play this joke on someone capable of experiencing love, wait for them to breathlessly return them to you. Then, when they ask you what other books you like, loan them the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Check in with them periodically. Smile and nod when they compare Bill to Edward. Bide your time. Wait until they've gotten through the first three books, and then ask them what they thought ...more
(view spoiler)

Dracula
Really quite odd. (view spoiler)

One Word Answer
Short story about Hadley's death, and I didn't like the one word answer when two questions were asked! Which question was she answering?

Lucky
Okay story, not sure why they thought themselves lucky though.

Gift Wrap
(view spoiler)
Grace
Jul 15, 2012 Grace rated it it was ok
Bizarrely, this book of short stories made me think less of every character appearing in them.

Fairy Dust: Not very illuminating. I guess Claudine was the only good one of those triplets. The mystery was pretty dim, including Sookie's eureka moment.

Dracula Night: I did not need to see Eric starring in "The Great Pumpkin". On top of that, why on earth would Eric worship Vlad Tepes, who died in 1476? He's half Eric's age. And claiming Tepes created a Golden Age for vampires seems ridiculous. Bullsh
Megan
Oct 17, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
I felt cheated by this one. Somehow, these stories left me with the feeling that I just read a short advertisement for the Sookie Stackhouse series. I mean, Harris spends so much time explaining every single stinking detail of Sookie, her life, her friends in Bon Temps and the surrounding area, that very little story is left for the actual ... well, the actual story itself. And the stories don't really hold up well on their own. I mean, they fit nicely into the context of the larger series ~ if ...more
Richard Derus
May 07, 2013 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: three and a half smiley stars of five

The Publisher Says: New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris has re-imagined the supernatural world with her “spunky” (Tampa Tribune) Southern Vampire novels starring telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse. Now, for the first time, here is every Sookie Stackhouse short story ever written— together in one volume.

Stories include “Fairy Dust,” “One Word Answer,” “Dracula Night,” “Lucky,” and “Giftwrap.”

My Review: How fun. Sookie Stackhouse in s
Bettynz
Oct 26, 2009 Bettynz rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Yippee!!!!
The library finally has 4 copies, at least, and I've dropped to #3 on the waiting list :):)

Oh yeah
oh yeah
oh yeah!
I've had the email
It's sitting waiting for me.
Just in time for the long weekend :) :)

Oh dear. It's too quick to read!
Read one before I went to sleep last night. Another one in the middle of the night when I was awake and bored. Arrrgggh.
If I let myself pick it up again I'll be finished it today!

Sigh. And so it was. Over quickly. Too quickly. and now there'll be this extende
Dagny
Oct 19, 2015 Dagny rated it it was ok
I am not a particular fan of short stories, so read this just for the sake of completeness after finishing the Sookie novels. In the collection of five stories, I found "One Word Answer" the most interesting especially with the mention of Marie Laveau, an actual person in the history of New Orleans who also appears in Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series. Featuring Amelia and a brief appearance by Bob, "Lucky" was an enjoyable and cute read.
Tatiana
Aug 24, 2010 Tatiana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all Sookie fans
3.5 stars.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short stories, so much so that I was about to give it 4 stars. I think my enjoyment has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't have to pay $23.95 to read it. As a free offering, it's a great entertainment.

In no way is Charlaine Harris is a great short story writer or a writer period, and yet her books are like crack to me - can't get enough of them, even though I know they are not good in any literary sense.

Yes, some of the stories suffer from
Michele
Oct 29, 2009 Michele rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: fantasy
Wow. This book was lame. No new story, just five stories already published in other short story collections. Two-page illustrations in front of each story and really big font to make you feel like you actually read a book instead of a glorified Sookie Stackhouse brochure.

I'd only read one of the stories before, unfortunately for me it was apparently the best of the bunch. "Gift Wrap" was plain awful. "Fairy Dust" is unimpressive (ooh, Sookie's so clever and uses her extreme cleverness to solve
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Another fun read. If you haven't read any Sookie Stackhouse before, this isn't a great introduction. Harris relies on the books for the world setting, but does fill in enough details to keep the chronology within the series correct.

“Fairy Dust” is after the events in "Dead to the World" & is pretty good. It's a murder mystery with Claudine & Claude in it.

“Dracula Night” happens before "Dead as a Doornail" & was probably my least favorite story of the bunch. It takes place mostly in
Kristy
Apr 01, 2011 Kristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how to rate these novels - my husband told me to start a 'guilty pleasures' book shelf and put them on there and rate them accordingly, but I'm not ready to start making separate shelves yet! They're totally trashy & when I read the first one I originally thought "this is so poorly written & trashy, who reads these?" Quickly I was sucked in and read every single last page of every single book in the series along with a short stories book. (I mean, it only take a brief evenin ...more
Jody
Oct 13, 2009 Jody rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital
A Touch of Dead consists of 5 short stories that fall in various places in the Southern Vampire Series, featuring heroine Sookie Stackhouse. I absolutely love that Harris has collected up all of the Sookie short stories into one volume. Now I really wish all the other series that I read would do the same thing!

The stories in A Touch of Dead fall in various places throughout the Sookie novels, and are thoughtfully put in chronological order in the collection. Some give us a little more back-stor
Michelle
This was a lovely little addition to my Sookie Stackhouse collection. Although I had read most of the books before reading these short stories and could see where they would fit on the timeline you really don't need to read them in order. The only disappointing thing - I finished them way to quickly. There are a total of five stories which are all very good:

Fairy Dust
This is a miniature mystery as Sookie is asked by her fairy godmother to investigate the death of her sister. Along the way we are
Geraldine O'Hagan
Oct 25, 2011 Geraldine O'Hagan rated it did not like it
Terrible. Also, the final story features the most disturbing and generally wrong present ever given by a great-grandfather to his great-grand-daughter. Plus, in its entirety so dull that even people who actually think Harris can write will be bored.
Jaqueline Miguel
Brevemente...
Kandice
Feb 26, 2010 Kandice rated it really liked it
Fairy Dust

This story is about Claude and Claudine. I never knew they were actually 2 of a set of triplets. That's one of the joys of short stories slipped between novels in a series. You get little glimpses and facts that just aren't neccesary to canon, but are sure fun to read. My favorite line in the story is at the end when Claudine says "Fair is only part of Fairy as letters of the alphabet." It sounds so menacing, and since I picture Claudine as Liv Tyler in my head, I can just see her sayi
jennifer
Jun 11, 2010 jennifer rated it did not like it
This book was passed to me by my older sister, who is not a reader. That I know of, she had read two books in her life, and then Sookie Stackhouse and the HBO TrueBlood series came along and for the first time in her life she was anxiously waiting for a book release and asking for books for Christmas. So when she finished this one she brought it to me because she wanted me to love it too. That's sweet.
I hadn't read any of Harris' books but figured there must be some fantastic writing for her to
Aaron
Nov 23, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series has really hit it big. Besides being a nice mix of the occult and humor, everyone is diving into the long-popular series since it has been converted into a television show on HBO. This volume collects a number of stories that have been written over the years and included in collections of vampire tales from popular writers in the genre.

In "Fairy Dust," readers got their first chance to meet Claude AND Claudine, two twin fairies that eventually play a major role i
Riju Ganguly
Nov 16, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
While I have never ever seen a single episode of the famous HBO Series “True Blood” (I know, I know! But I was way-beyond the target demographic by the time the series came out, so perhaps you might be able to forgive me.), I have been reading the tales of Sookie Stackhouse for quite a while now. I remain one of the more ardent readers of supernatural/paranormal-themed anthologies, and Charlaine Harris’ stories are usually star attractions therein. However, before I even begin my ramblings about ...more
Emily
May 22, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
All of these stories were published in other anthologies, so it's possible they can be rereads; I know I'd encountered at least one before reading this volume.

The story arcs and timelines of the full length Sookie novels are pretty tight; as a result, the stories aren't a part of the timeline, and with one exception, don't contain information that's pertinent to the rest of the books. Some of the stories I definitely liked more than others; hell, in the introduction, Charlaine Harris tells us th
Yolanda Sfetsos
This gorgeous and sleek book contains five short stories by Charlaine Harris that up until now were included in other anthologies. They're all about Sookie Stackhouse and take place between certain books in the series. I think the UK/Australian cover is absolutely gorgeous. This is the US cover, which is really cute too. And the inside is just as stunning. There's an introduction by Charlaine herself, and a two-page illustration at the beginning of every story.

Now, here's a little about the sto
Lorelie
Nov 10, 2013 Lorelie rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #4.1, 4.3, 5.1, 7.1 & 8.1) is a collection of short stories from the Sookie Stackhouse series, and honestly I haven't read any of it. BUUUUUUUT this book had totally gotten me cause I'm into all the supernatural books. However,I didn't like it that much so I'm giving it 3 stars.

*Fairy Dust*
In this story Sookie is unraveling a mystery surrounded by the death of Claudette, the triplet of Claudine and Claude. Sookie as we all know has the ability to read mind
Robin
Oct 15, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
A collection of Sookie Stackhouse short stories.

If you've ever picked up a Sookie Stackhouse book and wondered who were those characters, and where did they come from, and why don't I remember a single thing about them (see also: Have I lost my mind and bought in the wrong series?!), this is the book for you.

Actually, these were helpful, and did explain a lot. It's not completely necessary to read them in chronological order, as they should appear between the books, but that might help too.

I spe
Abbie
Nov 19, 2015 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't a bad collection of novellas, but I'm glad they were only short.

I can't say I had a favorite out of the collection, but I think my least favorite was "One word answer" I just couldn't get into that one.

Overall, Okay novellas.
Liza Nahas
It was so fun to visit with my old friends in Bon Temps again. Simple, fun, short stories, like a little leftover candy. Finishing the book was bittersweet.
Carien
Sep 18, 2014 Carien rated it really liked it
I have a rocky relationship with this series and especially with Sookie. I don't think I've ever disliked a main character so much as Sookie (OK, I confess: Harry Potter wins from Sookie, hands down), but still I enjoyed the series.

Then Sookie enraged me with her behavior towards one of her lovers, and it took me forever to pick up the next book in the series after that. That book did restore some of my love for the series, but I was still hesitant to continue reading. So I decided to pick up t
Carolyn F.
2nd re-reading this time by audiobook. I have the hardbook and the audiobook.

My rating hasn't changed for this book. It's good but not as good as the other books in the series. I really disliked the story of her Fairy Grandfather setting up some stupid story about a hurt werewolf just so she'd have some lovin' that would make her feel better. She's usually not a one-night stand girl and the manipulation was just cringy. Otherwise, the stories are good.
Linds
I'm going to have to wait until later on in the year when the next book comes out for my Sookie fix, because this just didn't cut it.

There's a story where Eric thinks Dracula will come to his party which is mildly amusing. That's about as much faint praise that this book is going to get.
Cornerofmadness
Aug 05, 2010 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This is an anthology of Sookie Stackhouse stories. I liked that Harris said that a) she made them short stories because they just didn’t fit into the flow of the novels b) that they didn’t always work. I can understand that feeling.

Fairy Dust –The Fairy twins Claudine and Claude need Sookie’s help to solve a mystery. I liked this one.

Dracula Night – The legend has it that on his birthday Dracula will grace one birthday party for him somewhere in the world and Eric prays it’s his party. It was fu
Jlaurenmc
Jan 29, 2010 Jlaurenmc rated it really liked it
Charlaine Harris's short story compilation A Touch of Dead is nothing new-- new stories, that is. All of these Sookie Stackhouse stories have been published elsewhere before, but never together in one volume. It is a short collection of only five stories -- it took me maybe an hour or two to complete it. But it offers some deeper meaning to both the character that is Sookie and to other characters introduced into the series in various Southern Vampire novels.

In "Lucky", we learn a bit more about
Around the Year i...: A Touch of Dead, by Charlaine Harris 6 17 Jul 24, 2016 05:03AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 A Touch of Dead 1 2 Feb 17, 2014 10:35PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Touch of Dead 1 4 Jul 18, 2012 09:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Number of pages missing from entry 3 32 Jan 29, 2012 10:59PM
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5, Undead, #2.5, Mageverse, #1.5)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • True Blood, Volume 2: Tainted Love
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #2)
  • All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • The Day of the Dead (Cassandra Palmer, #3.1)
  • Real Vampires Hate Their Thighs (Glory St. Clair, #5)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)

“Eric followed Vlad Tepes’s stubby finger, identifying me as the future Happy Meal. Then he stared at Dracula, looking up from his kneeling position. I couldn’t read his face at all, and I felt a stirring of fear. What would Charlie Brown have done if the Great Pumpkin wanted to eat the little red-haired girl?” 20 likes