A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #4.1, #4.3, #5.1, #7.1, #8.1)

A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #4.1, 4.3, 5.1, 7.1 & 8.1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  33,484 ratings  ·  1,674 reviews

Visit our Sookie Stackhouse series feature page.

View our feature on Charlaine Harris’s A Touch of Dead.

Every Sookie Stackhouse short story ever written—in one special volume—from the New York Times bestselling author.

New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris has re-imagined the supernatural world with her “spunky” (Tampa Tribune) Southern Vampire novels starring t...more
Published October 6th 2009 by Ace Hardcover (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Touch of Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Touch of Dead

Jason
Here's a fun joke you can play on someone! Loan them your copies of the Twilight books. Now, if you've chosen to play this joke on someone capable of experiencing love, wait for them to breathlessly return them to you. Then, when they ask you what other books you like, loan them the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Check in with them periodically. Smile and nod when they compare Bill to Edward. Bide your time. Wait until they've gotten through the first three books, and then ask them what they thought...more
Grace
Bizarrely, this book of short stories made me think less of every character appearing in them.

Fairy Dust: Not very illuminating. I guess Claudine was the only good one of those triplets. The mystery was pretty dim, including Sookie's eureka moment.

Dracula Night: I did not need to see Eric starring in "The Great Pumpkin". On top of that, why on earth would Eric worship Vlad Tepes, who died in 1476? He's half Eric's age. And claiming Tepes created a Golden Age for vampires seems ridiculous. Bullsh...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: three and a half smiley stars of five

The Publisher Says: New York Times bestselling author Charlaine Harris has re-imagined the supernatural world with her “spunky” (Tampa Tribune) Southern Vampire novels starring telepathic waitress Sookie Stackhouse. Now, for the first time, here is every Sookie Stackhouse short story ever written— together in one volume.

Stories include “Fairy Dust,” “One Word Answer,” “Dracula Night,” “Lucky,” and “Giftwrap.”

My Review: How fun. Sookie Stackhouse in s...more
Megan
I felt cheated by this one. Somehow, these stories left me with the feeling that I just read a short advertisement for the Sookie Stackhouse series. I mean, Harris spends so much time explaining every single stinking detail of Sookie, her life, her friends in Bon Temps and the surrounding area, that very little story is left for the actual ... well, the actual story itself. And the stories don't really hold up well on their own. I mean, they fit nicely into the context of the larger series ~ if...more
Bettynz
Yippee!!!!
The library finally has 4 copies, at least, and I've dropped to #3 on the waiting list :):)

Oh yeah
oh yeah
oh yeah!
I've had the email
It's sitting waiting for me.
Just in time for the long weekend :) :)

Oh dear. It's too quick to read!
Read one before I went to sleep last night. Another one in the middle of the night when I was awake and bored. Arrrgggh.
If I let myself pick it up again I'll be finished it today!

Sigh. And so it was. Over quickly. Too quickly. and now there'll be this extende...more
Tatiana
Aug 24, 2010 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Sookie fans
3.5 stars.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short stories, so much so that I was about to give it 4 stars. I think my enjoyment has a lot to do with the fact that I didn't have to pay $23.95 to read it. As a free offering, it's a great entertainment.

In no way is Charlaine Harris is a great short story writer or a writer period, and yet her books are like crack to me - can't get enough of them, even though I know they are not good in any literary sense.

Yes, some of the stories suffer from...more
Mrs N
Oct 29, 2009 Mrs N rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: 2009, fantasy
Wow. This book was lame. No new story, just five stories already published in other short story collections. Two-page illustrations in front of each story and really big font to make you feel like you actually read a book instead of a glorified Sookie Stackhouse brochure.

I'd only read one of the stories before, unfortunately for me it was apparently the best of the bunch. "Gift Wrap" was plain awful. "Fairy Dust" is unimpressive (ooh, Sookie's so clever and uses her extreme cleverness to solve...more
Jim
Another fun read. If you haven't read any Sookie Stackhouse before, this isn't a great introduction. Harris relies on the books for the world setting, but does fill in enough details to keep the chronology within the series correct.

“Fairy Dust” is after the events in "Dead to the World" & is pretty good. It's a murder mystery with Claudine & Claude in it.

“Dracula Night” happens before "Dead as a Doornail" & was probably my least favorite story of the bunch. It takes place mostly in...more
Kristy
I don't know how to rate these novels - my husband told me to start a 'guilty pleasures' book shelf and put them on there and rate them accordingly, but I'm not ready to start making separate shelves yet! They're totally trashy & when I read the first one I originally thought "this is so poorly written & trashy, who reads these?" Quickly I was sucked in and read every single last page of every single book in the series along with a short stories book. (I mean, it only take a brief evenin...more
Jody
A Touch of Dead consists of 5 short stories that fall in various places in the Southern Vampire Series, featuring heroine Sookie Stackhouse. I absolutely love that Harris has collected up all of the Sookie short stories into one volume. Now I really wish all the other series that I read would do the same thing!

The stories in A Touch of Dead fall in various places throughout the Sookie novels, and are thoughtfully put in chronological order in the collection. Some give us a little more back-stor...more
Maree
This was a lovely little addition to my Sookie Stackhouse collection. Although I had read most of the books before reading these short stories and could see where they would fit on the timeline you really don't need to read them in order. The only disappointing thing - I finished them way to quickly. There are a total of five stories which are all very good:

Fairy Dust
This is a miniature mystery as Sookie is asked by her fairy godmother to investigate the death of her sister. Along the way we are...more
Kandice
Fairy Dust

This story is about Claude and Claudine. I never knew they were actually 2 of a set of triplets. That's one of the joys of short stories slipped between novels in a series. You get little glimpses and facts that just aren't neccesary to canon, but are sure fun to read. My favorite line in the story is at the end when Claudine says "Fair is only part of Fairy as letters of the alphabet." It sounds so menacing, and since I picture Claudine as Liv Tyler in my head, I can just see her sayi...more
jennifer
This book was passed to me by my older sister, who is not a reader. That I know of, she had read two books in her life, and then Sookie Stackhouse and the HBO TrueBlood series came along and for the first time in her life she was anxiously waiting for a book release and asking for books for Christmas. So when she finished this one she brought it to me because she wanted me to love it too. That's sweet.
I hadn't read any of Harris' books but figured there must be some fantastic writing for her to...more
Aaron
Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series has really hit it big. Besides being a nice mix of the occult and humor, everyone is diving into the long-popular series since it has been converted into a television show on HBO. This volume collects a number of stories that have been written over the years and included in collections of vampire tales from popular writers in the genre.

In "Fairy Dust," readers got their first chance to meet Claude AND Claudine, two twin fairies that eventually play a major role i...more
Carolyn F.
2nd re-reading this time by audiobook. I have the hardbook and the audiobook.

My rating hasn't changed for this book. It's good but not as good as the other books in the series. I really disliked the story of her Fairy Grandfather setting up some stupid story about a hurt werewolf just so she'd have some lovin' that would make her feel better. She's usually not a one-night stand girl and the manipulation was just cringy. Otherwise, the stories are good.
Emily
All of these stories were published in other anthologies, so it's possible they can be rereads; I know I'd encountered at least one before reading this volume.

The story arcs and timelines of the full length Sookie novels are pretty tight; as a result, the stories aren't a part of the timeline, and with one exception, don't contain information that's pertinent to the rest of the books. Some of the stories I definitely liked more than others; hell, in the introduction, Charlaine Harris tells us th...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
This gorgeous and sleek book contains five short stories by Charlaine Harris that up until now were included in other anthologies. They're all about Sookie Stackhouse and take place between certain books in the series. I think the UK/Australian cover is absolutely gorgeous. This is the US cover, which is really cute too. And the inside is just as stunning. There's an introduction by Charlaine herself, and a two-page illustration at the beginning of every story.

Now, here's a little about the sto...more
Lorelie
A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse #4.1, 4.3, 5.1, 7.1 & 8.1) is a collection of short stories from the Sookie Stackhouse series, and honestly I haven't read any of it. BUUUUUUUT this book had totally gotten me cause I'm into all the supernatural books. However,I didn't like it that much so I'm giving it 3 stars.

*Fairy Dust*
In this story Sookie is unraveling a mystery surrounded by the death of Claudette, the triplet of Claudine and Claude. Sookie as we all know has the ability to read mind...more
Robin
A collection of Sookie Stackhouse short stories.

If you've ever picked up a Sookie Stackhouse book and wondered who were those characters, and where did they come from, and why don't I remember a single thing about them (see also: Have I lost my mind and bought in the wrong series?!), this is the book for you.

Actually, these were helpful, and did explain a lot. It's not completely necessary to read them in chronological order, as they should appear between the books, but that might help too.

I spe...more
Carien
I have a rocky relationship with this series and especially with Sookie. I don't think I've ever disliked a main character so much as Sookie (OK, I confess: Harry Potter wins from Sookie, hands down), but still I enjoyed the series.

Then Sookie enraged me with her behavior towards one of her lovers, and it took me forever to pick up the next book in the series after that. That book did restore some of my love for the series, but I was still hesitant to continue reading. So I decided to pick up t...more
Linds
I'm going to have to wait until later on in the year when the next book comes out for my Sookie fix, because this just didn't cut it.

There's a story where Eric thinks Dracula will come to his party which is mildly amusing. That's about as much faint praise that this book is going to get.
Geraldine O'Hagan
Terrible. Also, the final story features the most disturbing and generally wrong present ever given by a great-grandfather to his great-grand-daughter. Plus, in its entirety so dull that even people who actually think Harris can write will be bored.
Cornerofmadness
This is an anthology of Sookie Stackhouse stories. I liked that Harris said that a) she made them short stories because they just didn’t fit into the flow of the novels b) that they didn’t always work. I can understand that feeling.

Fairy Dust –The Fairy twins Claudine and Claude need Sookie’s help to solve a mystery. I liked this one.

Dracula Night – The legend has it that on his birthday Dracula will grace one birthday party for him somewhere in the world and Eric prays it’s his party. It was fu...more
Jlaurenmc
Charlaine Harris's short story compilation A Touch of Dead is nothing new-- new stories, that is. All of these Sookie Stackhouse stories have been published elsewhere before, but never together in one volume. It is a short collection of only five stories -- it took me maybe an hour or two to complete it. But it offers some deeper meaning to both the character that is Sookie and to other characters introduced into the series in various Southern Vampire novels.

In "Lucky", we learn a bit more about...more
Deborah Ideiosepius
Meh.

A couple of the stories were extremely contrived, the font it was printed in was HUGE as if to convince you that you were getting more than was actually there, the stories spent way too much time recapping events from the novels and finally, it was not very well written and not much new or interesting was within the covers. The first story especially was merely Harris lecturing you about stuff you already knew from the novels.

The only story with any twist at all was the last one. So my recom...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 13, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sookie Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Christy
This included every Sookie Stackhouse story to date up until October of 2009. It makes for a slim volume, since these really are short stories, none longer than about 8,000 words, so all five stories makes altogether the length of a very short novel--more a novella. To quote the introduction, in "the order in which they occur in Sookie's life, the stories are "Fairy Dust" (from Powers of Detection), "Dracula Night" (from Many Bloody Returns,) "One Word Answer" (from Bite) "Lucky" (from Unusual S...more
Nely
In A Touch of Dead you get five Sookie Stackhouse short stories that Ms. Harris has written over the years and have finally been published together for the first time.

"Fairy Dust" takes place after Dead To The World.
There we meet Claudine and Claude who have asked Sookie for "special" help in order to solve a murder mystery.

"Dracula Night" takes place before Dead As A Doornail.
Eric is throwing a big bash at Fangtasia to celebrate the birthday of the one-and-only, you guessed it Dracula. And Sook...more
Ramie
Nov 12, 2009 Ramie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Sookie series
Shelves: vampires
Eek. I was terrified. I'd seen so many 1 star reviews while waiting for it to arrive. Not a good sign. But I love the Sookie series, surely this book cannot be THAT bad. And it wasn't.

The negative -
The title is horrible. The complete stories? Yes, I agree with the complaints. Especially for people setting out to discover the world of Sookie, this could be misleading.

It's short. Five short stories to be exact.

They've all been published before, in anthologies. Many fans seem to have read some or a...more
Rita
Charlaine Harris escreve romances de mistério além da conceituada saga Sangue Fresco. Apaixonada pela literatura e apreciadora de cinema, o seu passatempo preferido consiste em incentivar os seus filhos em inúmeros desportos.

Quando sugeriram pela primeira vez à escritora que escrevesse contos alusivos às aventuras de Sookie Stachouse, duvidou que o conseguisse fazer. “Um Toque de Sangue” acabou por surgir, contudo Harris admite que é difícil encaixar os seus contos na história mais longa que ide...more
Burak Uluışık
Kitap harikaydı Sookie'yi çok özlemişim çok iyi oldu. okuduğum ilk ingilizce romandı. Bazen zorlansam da çok sevdim.

İlk hikaye bitti kitaptaki. Dili fazla basit geldi ilk okuduğum hikayeye göre, kendimi attan inip eşşeğe biniyormuş gibi hissettim. Claudine ve Claude Sookie'den kaybolan üçüzlerini bulması için yardım istediler. Evet onlar ikiz değil üçüzlermiş meğersem. Ayrıca Sookie ilk defa Claude ile burada karşılaşıyor. Güzeldi :)

İkinci hikayede Sookie'nin kuzeni Hadley'in ölümü, Sookie'ye k...more
Goodreads Librari...: Number of pages missing from entry 3 32 Jan 29, 2012 10:59PM
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Bite (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8.5)
  • Undead and Unwelcome (Undead, #8)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (There Be Pirates, #1; Kit and Olivia, #2; Nightcreature, #5.5; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1; The Dresden Files, #7.5; Dark-Hunter, #6.25)
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Happily Never After (Night Huntress, #1.5)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
  • Down These Strange Streets
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr...more
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“Eric followed Vlad Tepes’s stubby finger, identifying me as the future Happy Meal. Then he stared at Dracula, looking up from his kneeling position. I couldn’t read his face at all, and I felt a stirring of fear. What would Charlie Brown have done if the Great Pumpkin wanted to eat the little red-haired girl?” 20 likes