Start by marking “The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life” as Want to Read:
The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life

The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Travel industry experts report that more and more people are combining vacations with volunteer work—the growing phenomenon called "voluntourism." Professionals predict this will be a key growth area for years to come; the voluntourists themselves find it a rewarding activity, good for body and soul.

And nobody provides such a fun, inviting overview of the possibilities as
Published May 19th 2009 by National Geographic Society (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life

Kelly
Jan 17, 2011 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Marie
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Cage dive with Great White Sharks? Yes, please. Feed orphaned baby lions? Yes, please. Work on an organic farm in Tuscany? Yes, please. Help endangered and orphaned orangutans in Borneo? Really, the list goes on and on. I want to do everything in this book, and would if I had the time and money. One day I will do at least one of these things, and I'm going to save a list of the names of these organizations for when that day comes.
Ignore the hokey, over-the-top, repetitively feel-good quotes - there's a lot of useful substance in this book and it's helpfully cross-referenced by geography and type of volunteer opportunity. My one concern is that the author doesn't mentioned the ethical problems with volunteering in orphanages. Other writers on this subject have talked about how it's an easy warm and fuzzy type of work for the Western visitor to engage in, but it can be harmful for children who have already been traumatized ...more
Laurel
Volunteering is making a comeback more than ever, in large part to President Obama who is encouraging American citizens to volunteer and calls it a “civic duty”.

The 100 Best Volunteer Vacations to Enrich Your Life by Pam Grout has definitely honed in on this trend and lists 100 volunteer projects in six areas of the world. What can you volunteer for? Perhaps a better question would be what can’t you volunteer for? Grout has selected a variety of volunteer projects that truly have something for
Theresa
I skimmed through this looking for ideas on how to get a cheap trip to Europe. I liked the chapters on working for Britain's National Trust, serving as a lighthouse keeper, restoring medieval castles, and excavating a Roman fort. Not so me-tracking jaguars though I love cats and researching the great white shark. They put you in a cage in the water with them! It was an interesting book with fun ideas.
Rebekah H.
She's a Liberal bootlicker, but her ideas are sound. (Not that I'll fight with anyone over their political leanings, the author just GUSHES a little too much for me. Ick.)
Amy
Not as good as "Volunteer Vacations", but still interesting. This book is divided by continent. You really have to read to see if the "expedition" is right for you.
Janna
Best birthday present I have ever received.
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Inta
Inta marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Dorie Painter
Dorie Painter marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Eli Claire
Eli Claire marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Margaret Nordahl
Margaret Nordahl marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Karol K
Karol K marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jaimie
Jaimie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Margaret
Margaret is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Özge
Özge marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Nejla
Nejla marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Wendy Seles Shelton
Wendy Seles Shelton marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Pam Grout is the author of 16 books, three plays, a television series, and two iPhone apps. She writes for People magazine, Cnngo.com, Huffington Post, and her travel blog, www.georgeclooneyslepthere.com. Find out more about Pam and her out-of-the-box take on life on her website: www.pamgrout.com.
More about Pam Grout...
E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality E-Cubed: Nine More Energy Experiments That Prove Manifesting Magic and Miracles Is Your Full-Time Gig The 100 Best Vacations to Enrich Your Life Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe The 100 Best Worldwide Vacations to Enrich Your Life