Start by marking “Knight of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Knight of Shadows

Knight of Shadows (The Chronicles of Amber #9)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  5,346 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN 0380755017 / 9780380755011

Melvin Corey must choose between an alliance with the Pattern of Amber or the Logrus of Chaos, in a tale of a sometimes murderous family of wizards and their alternate worlds.
Mass Market Paperback, 251 pages
Published November 1995 by AvoNova (first published November 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of Shadows

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Best Fantasy: Unique Worlds
165th out of 384 books — 302 voters
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksThe Shadow Rising by Robert JordanLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingHeir to the Shadows by Anne Bishop
The Shadow knows!
26th out of 196 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Merlin continues to search for his father, Corwin, and Mask, the mysterious usurper of the Keep of Four Worlds who is someone from Merlin's past, and Coral, Oberon's illegitimate child who dissappeared after walking the Pattern in the previous book. Along the way, he learns of the way of the Broken Pattern, nabs the Jewel of Judgement, and encounters Pattern Ghosts. Just what do mysterious forces have in store for Merlin?

As I said in my review of the previous volume, the second Chronicles of Amb
Fred D
Some say the second Amer Series focusing on Merlin was not as good as the original. I tend to disagree. I liked the second series for different reasons than the first. Corwin was more of a fighter, Merlin a magic-user. I enjoyed Zelazny's detailed descriptions of how Merlin cast spells. I enjoyed the humor in the second series more than in the first. Following the convoluted plot and intrigues and mystery was also very entertaining.
Cathy
Ended better than it started. Didn't enjoy the quest any more than Merle did. Got better once the normal pace resumed.
Alex Hurst
William Gerke
Penultimate of the Merlin books and one of the weaker entries. Large portions of it are taken up by an admittedly allegorical contest that, while sparking some interesting imagery, largely consists of Merlin running on a set of rails. The one really bright spark is a confrontation in the halls of Amber that does some serious damage to the local architecture. Adequate for what it is, but not Zelazny's best effort.
Petya
В тази част от поредицата "Хрониките на Амбър" става още по-динамично и човек вече не иска да прави никакви паузи, а иска директно да продължи и да види какво става след това:) Зелазни продължава много да ми харесва:) В тази книга наистина се развихря образа на Мерлин! Той продължава да е млад и хазартен, за разлика от Коруин (с когото неминуемо го сравнявам) поема много повече рискове и се забърква в какви ли не каши, но очевидно е роден под щастлива звезда, а и има подкрепа и от двете страни - ...more
Chris
The nadir of the Amber chronicles.
Felix

German edition - German review:

Nach dem Kampf um den Hort der vier Welten wird Merlin in eine Ebene zwischen den Schatten versetzt. Von diesem surrealen Ort voller Geistererscheinungen gibt es kein Entkommen und die Mächte von Muster und Logrus verlangen eine Entscheidung von Merlin. Wem wird er fortan dienen, der Schlange oder dem Einhorn?

Die Episode in dem Zwischenreich erinnert an die Questen des spätmittelalterlichen höfischen Romans, mit seinen allegorischen âventiuren. Auf Dauer ging mir d
Michael R.
I didn't care for this 9th book in the Amber series.

Which is suprising because I really like books with a lot action, and lots of short dialog. But this book was so much nonstop chaos (not unlike the realm of Chaos), it was too much to enjoy. And it seemed amatuerish. First is the aftermath of the fight for the Keep with Mandor and Jarsa vs. Julia and Jurt. Next an explaination from Jarsa that she trained Julia, who Merlin thought had persihed previously, to kill Merlin. Already the storyline is
Wise_owl
One of the problems with reading a series of books in rapid succession is that you run out of things to say if your planing on reviewing it.

Like other in the series this book picks up pretty much where the last one left off, and often makes the series appear less as a sequence of seperate books, but one book that was chopped up into books for publishing reasons. Things are finally coming to a head for Merlin, and the various plots he's involved in are all spiralling around him, truths finally be
Vira Motorko
Круто :)
Хоча на дев'ятій книзі ефект звикання уже не просто ефект :)
Інколи буває складнувато намалювати в голові те, що відбувається, особливо, якщо місце дії уже намальоване, а тут хтось "повертає іти наліво", а у мене там глуха стіна :)
Єдине що... трохи не радувало "вдаряння" в інтимні відносини. Стосунки, інтриги, якась би може любовна лінія — якби була — то все ок, але вставляння дивних перчин наугад аби були (бо саме так для мене то виглядало) якось не дуже.
І все одно чотири зірочки. Ібо ня
Shannon Appelcline
A fair continuation of the Merlin story, but a somewhat flawed one.

My biggest problem with it is that it takes a sharp right-hand turn from the previous volumes, focusing on a relatively new plotline just when the other one had reached a climax that you *really* want to see continued.

I also don't like how abstract that new plotline is. It's all played out in an dull ghost-filled land where nothing has real repercussions ... and so it feels abstract and unimportant.

There are bits of greatness thr
Bryan
I had a hard time with this one.

It's not like I think the Merlin sequence of the Chronicles Of Amber is bad(although it's certainly not as good as the Corwin books), it's just that this book in particular struggled. It seemed like the Order vs. Chaos quest was rather forced, and because it occured in this mysterious "land between Shadows" Zelazny felt it was acceptable to resort to deus ex machina at every turn to get Merlin out of the binds he was flung into. Frakir was made sentient(mostly to
Eloise Toujours
Ok, now I understand why Merlin had to be such a naive and careless idiot in the previous book... just so that things could go the way Roger wanted them to without giving any explanation first (I'm talking about Luke going with Dalt). I still think the whole situation was way too obvious and predictable and hence very annoing. There could have been at least some kind of a misdirecting arguments, but mr Zelazny decided to solve the situation just without any comments :(

Well, back to the current b
Michael
Book 9 of 10. I want to be kind, but I can't. It took a lot of will on my part to press through the "quest" and on through the pitiful ending. I don't know what else to say, except this almost made my "didn't finish" list. It started out well enough and I want to give it two stars, but anything that slows to a point that you want abandon it doesn't deserve that many. How did this happen Roger? It was so grueling that I don't even want to read the last book in the entire series. I'll have to clea ...more
Patricia
Publisher's Summary

Knight of Shadows is the ninth book of The Chronicles of Amber; an epic fantasy series written by six-time Hugo Award winning and three-time Nebula Award winning author, Roger Zelazny.

The ten books that make up the series are told in two story arcs: The Corwin Cycle and the Merlin Cycle.

Narrator Wil Wheaton, who won the 2012 Audie Award for his engaging performance of Fuzzy Nation, brings this classic series to a stunning close by giving voice to Merlin, Corwin’s son, in the
Mayank Agarwal
Difficult read, the worst book in the series yet. Too many new things are happening and most of them seem forced while lots older plot remain unresolved from previous books.Zelazny writing is dated and the new plot is a drag.
Gabriel C.
Ok! Now I'm rolling downhill. We've suffered from hyperinflation and now Zelazny is rolling wheelbarrows full of plot holes to the corner store to buy a banana peel for Jurt to slip on, but there are only another 100 or so pages of inanity before I bid adieu to Amber forever. Actually, I think when I was twelve or thirteen or something I got some bullshit "Guide to Amber" book that might still be at my parents'. I hadn't read any of the books so it didn't make much sense, but maybe I'll look bac ...more
Simon Vandereecken
Un tome génial qui commence à clôturer la saga en beauté et laisse sur un cliffhanger extrêmement intriguant.
Pyyric
The deep end! we found it! this book is literally out of this universe :)
Adam Krajnik
one of those best in both amber chronicals
Sashi Bankova
The best book in Merlin's cycle
Alex
I don't like giving bad ratings to books, especially ones pertaining to a series that I liked so much, but this book really maybe deserved 2 stars. The magic system got totally out of control in this book, to a point where I just didn't care anymore, and just lost interest in the book, having to force myself to finish. To emphasize this, I'm going to stop reading this series right now, having read 9 out of 10 books, because I don't want to be further disappointed.
Hien
Even though books 6-10 are lumped in as part of the Chronicles of Amber, I feel that it's really a second series. It's about Merlin (Corwin's son). Merlin is from Chaos due to his mother being from there. One of the things I didn't like about the second series is that lots of people can shadow walk. It used to be only the princes and princesses of Amber can do it. Now it seems like everybody can. It's not so special after all.
Legsoffury
Nina
I thought this book would never end. There was a lot of "action" in it, but still every page felt boring. Beside all this there was a lot of philosophy that clashed hard against and slowed down a potentially okay story. I'm truly grateful that this is the second last book in the series.
Brett
Finished "Knight of Shadows" by Roger Zelazny. It's nice to see the author tweaking the rules of his world to make things interesting! There are a lot of places where there is a wall of explanation disguised as the main character thinking back on what has happened to him, and there are a lot of characters to keep track of, but things seem to be coalescing now. Good thing, too - one book left!
James
Meh.

The first five books (the first storyline) were excellent. I'm almost finished with the second series of five and its not shaping up too well. It's too bad, I really liked the beginning of this series, but I guess you could even just read books 1-5 on their own. That might be what I'll do if I ever reread this series, unless the last book really does something different.
Michael
My first impression of this book was marveling at how easily it seemed to read. The dialog flows very conversationally. But the characters at first seem flat, never having emotional outbursts or anything. But, that may just be the writer's style. Nothing is revealed too early, but you still are able to easily understand the story.
Patrick
This was definetly better than the last two books. It involves a lot of mystery and suspense with Julia and Coral. Also, it has a lot to do with the Logrus ghosts that are being conjured. Like any Amber novel, it seems a bit too long-winded for it's own good, but definetly a lot more captivating than the previous installments.
Fantasy Book Club...: * Knight of Shadows / Spoilers Ahead 7 16 Oct 07, 2013 08:04AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Knight of Shadows / Initial impressions / No Spoilers 12 17 Oct 07, 2013 08:03AM
  • Roger Zelazny's to Rule in Amber (Dawn of Amber Trilogy, #3)
  • Press Enter
  • I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon
  • The Revenge of the Rose (Elric, #9)
  • Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5)
  • The Citadel of the Autarch (The Book of the New Sun #4)
  • Swords and Ice Magic (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #6)
  • Charon: A Dragon at the Gate (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #3)
  • Well of Shiuan (Morgaine Saga, #2)
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • The Traveler
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is 'A Rose for Ecclesiastes' in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels d ...more
More about Roger Zelazny...
Nine Princes in Amber The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) Lord of Light The Courts of Chaos The Guns of Avalon (Amber Chronicles, #2)

“Sleep is perhaps the only among life's great pleasures which need not be of short duration.” 27 likes
“Tänan," ütlesin [Merlin]. "Nüüd olen ma kõigeks valmis."
"Sa võid nii enesekindluse huvides väita," ütles Vialle, "aga ära seda kunagi usu.”
0 likes