Start by marking “Hooray for Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hooray for Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #2)

Hooray for Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus #2)

Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa. Amazing Africa. She loves singing to her two baby brothers, Double and Trouble. But when she is chosen to sing for her school in front of the president, her throat runs dry and her bones turn to stone. Can Double and Trouble save her?
Published September 1st 2010 by Kane Miller (first published October 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooray for Anna Hibiscus!

Sarita
1st Review:
There are three stories in this book. One of them is........

Here is my review:
Anna Hibiscus likes to sing. She made up a song called "Snow".
Then she finds out that the president of another country is coming to Africa where she lives.
When her teacher says they will need a dancer, a speaker and a singer to dance, speak and sing for the president, all Anna's friends say that Anna can sing. But when she gets up on stage, she forgets her song! Double and Trouble ( Anna's baby brothers ) st
Betsy
Aug 10, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
Rarer than quality books. More elusive than good picture books for older readers. The goal, the gem, the one kind of book all children’s librarians seek but know are so difficult to find . . . . the really well written early chapter book. Now let’s say you’ve found one. It happens. Lots exist, to a certain extent (and if you know where to look). Please do me the favor of now asking yourself the following questions about said book: (A) Does it contain characters from another country? If you answe ...more
Havebooks Willread
Oct 15, 2016 Havebooks Willread rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jennifer Tarmann
I am absolutely falling in love with this series. Engaging stories, a sweet main character, subtle messages respecting family and the elderly and generosity. . .what's not to like?!

This book had a story about Anna resenting her hair and the time it takes to maintain it even though "short or long, the hair of an African girl is thicker and shiner and curlier than any other hair in the whole world" (35). Grandma's wisdom allowed her to learn a valuable lesson about her attitude. I must admit I was
Arielle
The second book in the series, Hooray is about Anna Hibiscus performing at a big national celebration. It was enjoyable for all of us.
Tanya
Oct 18, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing
I love this series!
Karen
Jan 13, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ellie
Ellie received this Christmas morning and will be reading it for the Pizza Hut reading challenge in January..krb 1/2/17

She read this in a day! I love that we are to the point where I have to limit the amount of time they read to safe guard my kids eye development. It makes them want to read even more!...krb 1/13/17
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Hooray for Anna Hibiscus! is another exciting chapter in the life of a young African girl. Anna Hibiscus has a lot of lessons to learn, as she is still quite young. She has a positive outlook on life and is very interested in everything that is going on around her.

I really enjoyed the story about Anna not wanting her hair fixed. Sometimes the things we have to do in life can hurt a little, and Anna decided to take things into her own hands. After all, parents don't know what is best for their ch
Anjanette Barr
Aug 04, 2015 Anjanette Barr rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
These books have it all! Charming illustrations, the kind of storytelling formulas that kids love ("Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa, Amazing Africa!" begins each story), characters in context without too many asides for explanation or comparison, and a holistic look at community.

I can't get enough of these, and it makes my heart swell to bursting to see my children connect with these stories about a land so far away and so different (Alaska and Africa may be the same number of letters and begin wi
Mary
Mar 12, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A few different events happened for Anna Hibiscus in #2 of this series. She has the chance to sing in front of a president of a country. She learns the hard way why the women in the family braid their hair every week. Her family buys a generator to deal with the intermittent electricity. And she goes with her aunt and uncle to visit the island across the lagoon from her house where she finds dire poverty. How she reacted to it all was priceless. She is growing in the sense of her place in her fa ...more
Johnny
This is a terrific installment in the Anna Hibiscus series. As with the first installment, each chapter starts with the mantra "Anna Hibiscus lives in Africa. Amazing Africa" (7), providing a great perspective on an unrepresented locale in American children's fiction. The chapters in this edition cover stage fright, Anna's coarse and beautiful hair, the abundant power outages in Africa, and poverty. Even the weightier subjects are covered with a point of view that even my three-year-old son coul ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Jul 14, 2011 Marjorie Ingall rated it it was amazing
This has one very dark scene in it -- Anna Hibiscus realizes that not everyone has the privileged life she does. The depiction of poverty in an African city is brutal. (Maxie put her hands over her ears when I read it to her, and this is the only Anna Hibiscus book she won't read on her own.) I appreciate that it's handled not-at-all didactically, and I say again I LOVE THESE BOOKS, but be forewarned. (That said, too, I think even a 6-year-old American kid should understand how lucky she is. Tha ...more
Abby
Apr 07, 2015 Abby rated it it was amazing
Anna Hibiscus is my absolute favorite!Just ask my mom. They are also Reading Counts so now I have up to 171 points! By the end of this school year I plan to have 200 book points and I will get those points easy by just reading this great series of the amazing world of Africa. Once you pick up one of these books you think that it would be an easy put down but you never want to trust me! BEST BOOK SERIES EVER TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!
Karen Arendt
A wonderful heartwarming series about a girl who lives in Africa. Four simple chapters perfect for 2nd or 3rd grade include Anna 'biscus Sing!; You Hair, Anna Hibiscus; Anna Hibiscus and the New Generator; and The other Side of the City. Readers will learn about life in Africa from a middle income child who experiences life -the hard life and the easy life.
Kevin
Sep 30, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
A collection of quick stories about a young girl growing up in generic Africa. These are written in a regular English style (not the broken English of Atinuke's No. 1 Car Spotter) and represent middle to upper class life. The most compelling stories in this collection were about Anna trying to avoid the weekly family braiding and then Anna visiting the poor side of town.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: africa, mg, read-2015, aoc
This was very cute again (and teaches you African life values again) but some of the plot points came off a little weird. Example: one of the stories is all about Anna's struggles with her hair, but it barely comes up that her mom, who is white, has totally different hair that is easy to deal with. It just seemed odd to me that her own mother didn't inform Anna's feelings at all.
Tracy
Feb 22, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I read it to my Mom while she was in the hospital and she thought they were interesting. I would recommend them. I also like the character of Anna Hibiscus and her brothers Double and Trouble.
Heather
Just as delightful as the first one. I loved how the twins, Double and Trouble, use their new found words to encourage their sister. Also, I really liked Anna's comprehension and compassion during her visit to the city.
Alison Donnelly
Apr 11, 2016 Alison Donnelly rated it it was amazing
Read with Felicity. A great continuation of this sweet series. Features a story that reduced me to tears, "The Other Side of the City". If you too enjoy crying whilst reading with children, you will like this book.
Celeste
May 28, 2014 Celeste rated it it was amazing
Anna Hibiscus is chosen out of all the kids to sing a song for a visiting president from another country, enjoys hide and seek with her cousins during blackouts, and comes to understand her own privilege a little better in this second of Atinuke's chapter books about Anna Hibiscus.
Janet
Aug 17, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing
Check my review on the first book in this series, Anna Hibiscus. The hair story is actually in this book, which may be even better than the first book. Yes, I think it is even better than the first book.
Shannon
Mar 31, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
Like the first book in this series, my five and two year old loved this book. This particular book covered the topic of poverty and income disparity in a way that I thought was totally age appropriate and very gently. Highly recommended.
Amy
May 15, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
Heidi absolutely LOVED this series! She read through them very quickly and enjoyed the perspective and learning about Anna Hibiscus' family. She wished for more.
Lauren
Jun 24, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Anna's family lets her learn things on her own and is there to support her when she inevitably fails. Such a good series.
Jenni Heimach
Oct 07, 2015 Jenni Heimach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-jv
I like how the author tells about the life of a little girl from Nigeria. I am falling for Atinuke, author.
Kara Hill
Jan 29, 2016 Kara Hill rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet book. My kids liked it so much they immediately wanted to read it again. We will be reading the others soon.
Brett
Apr 18, 2011 Brett rated it really liked it
Anna proves herself just as lovable in her latest adventures. The warmth & love surrounding Anna through her family is charming.
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Shazzer
Shazzer rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Deep in the Sahara
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu #2)
  • Precious and the Mystery of Meerkat Hill (Precious Ramotswe's Very First Cases, #2)
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • Mama's Nightingale: A Story of Immigration and Separation
  • The Herd Boy
  • My Two Blankets
  • Martin de Porres: The Rose in the Desert
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Dory Fantasmagory
  • The Case of the Missing Family (The Buddy Files, #3)
  • Mr. George Baker
  • Auntie Yang's Great Soybean Picnic
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Abuelo
  • One Green Apple
Atinuke is a Nigerian storyteller and author who now resides in Wales.
More about Atinuke...

Anna Hibiscus (6 books)
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #3)
  • Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #4)
  • Welcome Home, Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #5)
  • Go Well, Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #6)